Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

starry skies above posted:

Drug use should be accepted. It's perfectly natural for a human being to alter their consciousness. "Breaking Bad" at the end was making a case against pharmacological freedom by only depicting drug users as negatively as possible.

Maybe, but the point is that the show is demonizing drug manufacturers and distributors. They are the real bad guys both in the show AND IN REAL LIFE.

Drug use being acceptable in a vacuum is one thing, but the system we have now for obtaining these mind altering substances is not a safe environment. It's like how abortion should be legal, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to go to some underground clinic. The dangers of these underground abortion clinics is one of the big arguments for legalization of abortion. You are essentially saying "you shouldn't show downsides to going to a whackjob with a coathanger because it vindicates the anti Planned Parenthood people". Which is just completely wrong.

Maybe try thinking about your arguments before you post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

I TOLD YOU

I TOLD YOU ALL

For a gay man Ryan Murphy has quite a crush on Lea Michele.

Also: No One Writes for Women Better than Ryan Murphy :laffo:

Lea Michele posted:

he’s so incredible at writing characters for women. I’ve had the great honor of being on Glee for six seasons and then having the opportunity to come onto another show and play a totally different character. Ryan’s writing is so progressive and so smart. And as an actor, stuff like that is one in a million. To be on a show with great writing, great characters, and a great cast — honestly, you can’t really ask for anything more. I’ve said this for many years now: Ryan is the present and the future of television. He, in this current moment, is knocking it out of the park with all of his shows and continuing to be innovative and smart. And yet, you don’t even know the incredible things that he has under his sleeve. Anybody would want to be where the innovation is growing and creating, and that’s where I want to be. I want to be right where it’s happening. And Ryan Murphy is where it’s happening. So I consider myself incredibly blessed and lucky to know him, and to be part of the Ryan Murphy family.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

News alert: Lea Michele is not smart.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Empire is written by a white dude. It's possible that Ryan Murphy is the best writer for women.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

Maybe, but the point is that the show is demonizing drug manufacturers and distributors. They are the real bad guys both in the show AND IN REAL LIFE.

Drug manufacturers and distributors, when they are non-violent, should be depicted as capitalist heroes and as people merely taking advantage of market conditions. They may be good or bad, like any business people, but uniformly depicting them as bad is pure propaganda especially when the regulatory and legal system that allows these people to flourish in the first place goes unexamined. Walt and Pinkman are enterprising fellows who provide people with a good that was unjustly denied to them. Depicting these two, and their customers, as bad or morally compromised because of their transactions plays into the hands of drug prohibitionists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo. Shut up.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo. Shut up.

I was responding to someone who challenged me and talking about a tv show. Eat a dick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drug manufacturers and distributors, when they are non-violent, should be depicted as capitalist heroes and as people merely taking advantage of market conditions. They may be good or bad, like any business people, but uniformly depicting them as bad is pure propaganda especially when the regulatory and legal system that allows these people to flourish in the first place goes unexamined. Walt and Pinkman are enterprising fellows who provide people with a good that was unjustly denied to them. Depicting these two, and their customers, as bad or morally compromised because of their transactions plays into the hands of drug prohibitionists.

It's almost like the entire loving show was about a guy trying to be a non-violent drug manufacturer and how that didn't work. There were no non-violent drug distributors in the show.

By all means, prove me wrong and show me some examples of meth distributors that aren't linked to violent crimes. Probably there ARE some that exist, but that's not what the show is about.

You're right, the show depicts production, distribution, and consumption, of crystal meth as a bad thing. If you don't like that, it's not a show for you.

edit: I am done feeding the troll.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I was responding to someone who challenged me and talking about a tv show. Eat a dick.

Thank you so much for making my night.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Thank you so much for making my night.

I am singling you out because of your avatar: Please tell me how much I should watch Bojack Horseman. I watched like the first episode, and I am intrigued. Does it stay good/get better/have anything interesting to say?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

I am singling you out because of your avatar: Please tell me how much I should watch Bojack Horseman. I watched like the first episode, and I am intrigued. Does it stay good/get better/have anything interesting to say?

it does get better and in fact gets a lot better

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45a1NTArG-g

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

it does get better and in fact gets a lot better

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45a1NTArG-g

Sweet, I should remember to watch it then. (I'm not clicking that video, sorry, I'd rather just see it at part of the show)

Thanks!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

TV IV has the best mods

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

Goddammit, I hate that you saw that, that's the nuclear option...well, it was until season 2, but the whole first season was building up to that moment, and I wouldn't have dropped that unless you were really skeptical about the show.

Because it's still effective when you know it's coming (especially in the context of the episode), but when it hits you with no warning like it did me? gently caress.

But anyway, yeah, as you can see, BoJack has a lot of interesting poo poo on its mind. It's a strong exploration of depression and loneliness that also happens to be a clever absurdist comedy.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 11, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

everyone watch this http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-kgb-spy-jack-barsky-steve-kroft-60-minutes-steve-kroft/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Actually scratch all that because I missed the part where you said you weren't going to watch the clip. But yeah, continue to not watch it, it's kind of a massive spoiler.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

It gets better, it depends on what you want it to say as to whether it says anything, but it's a comedy so does it need to say something? Just watch it. The first season is kind of a grower, but if it gets its hooks into you it's great. SUCK A DICK DUMBSHIT!

I'm kind of sad I missed the dogpile on "responsible meth use" jackass because I can actually make a lot of good points on why he's a dumb jackass. Cest la vie. Talk about missing the forest for the trees, dumb guy who got probated.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

oh i guess i'll edit this out too whatever

I just watched that and got intrigued in the show enough to prolly watch it some time and then you spoiled that it was a wham moment lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the todd bits in season 2 are underwhelming though mostly because the show stopped being about wacky hijinks but he does them anyway

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i am sorry for spoiling a wham moment, i thought it was ok cause that's not even really the climax of the first season imho, plus there's a whole second season now

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Division Post is actually the one who "spoiled it" since I had no idea what the contents of that video link where until he quoted it describing what it was. But it's okay, that was just funny.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

Division Post is actually the one who "spoiled it" since I had no idea what the contents of that video link where until he quoted it describing what it was. But it's okay, that was just funny.

In my defense I thought the words I used could mean anything. :shobon:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

For once, Toxx is in the right, give this a look?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey everyone, what are the best feel good Christmas episodes of good shows? My favorite is far and way In Excelsis Deo from the first season of West Wing but I'd love to hear some others from you guys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That was a good episode until NBC replayed it about a billion times so now I hate it.

I really like the Christmas episode of Studio 60. It's also the only good episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etflv7R6NKA

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

Hey everyone, what are the best feel good Christmas episodes of good shows? My favorite is far and way In Excelsis Deo from the first season of West Wing but I'd love to hear some others from you guys.

Justice League's Comfort and Joy is sweet.

Arguably the British Office's Christmas special, but it depends on how much a happy ending can make up for.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

X-O posted:

The Night of the Meek from Twilight Zone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Just turn off last night's Arrow as they get in the car.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sleeveless posted:

Hollywood fixers are really interesting historical figures, when everyone was making Mad Men ripoffs they really missed out by not making one about a fixer during the golden age of Hollywood when the studios had obscene amounts of control over both the press and the police.

Someone needs to watch The Sweet Smell of Success

X-O posted:

Blackadder Christmas Carol
How the Ghosts Stole Christmas - X-files

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 11, 2015

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

X-O posted:

Jon Hamm's episode of Black Mirror.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Just turn off last night's Arrow as they get in the car.

Coincidentally, both it and In Excelsis Deo from West Wing end with the exact same version of Little Drummer Boy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

That was a good episode until NBC replayed it about a billion times so now I hate it.

I really like the Christmas episode of Studio 60. It's also the only good episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etflv7R6NKA

sketch comedy

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

The first season Christmas episode of Communty is pretty great and "feel good". It also features one of my favorite Troy jokes from the series, "Give him the Forest Whitaker eye":

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

X-O posted:

Definitely the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Christmas Extravaganza.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

X-O posted:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

That was great and all, but this is what stuck with me when the special first aired: http://youtu.be/7XD_7kcGIao

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

X-O posted:

Parks & Rec - "Christmas Scandal"
X-Files - "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas"
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "Amends"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just found out that Ernest Cline (of Ready Player One infamy) is part of the new MST3k so there goes that I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I just found out that Ernest Cline (of Ready Player One infamy) is part of the new MST3k so there goes that I guess.

Yeah I don't see what a guy with encyclopedic knowledge of obscure pop culture references could add to MST3K at all.

Also, Roiland and Harmon are gonna be writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also don't forget the bojack christmas special

• Locked thread