Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you downloaded a game and played it for a predetermined amount of time just to write a bad review there's more than likely something wrong mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Hey everyone! I've just been told that MWO was moving to Steam and I thought "what the heck, let's check to see if Ghost Heat 2.0 is a thing now"...and the game is good again instead? :3:

I guess the Cocks are dead (not that we were that many to begin with), but by the OP it looks like WoL is still alive and squawkin :black101: Also: is Ghost Heat still in, IE: can I play my Laser Drill?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey everyone! I've just been told that MWO was moving to Steam and I thought "what the heck, let's check to see if Ghost Heat 2.0 is a thing now"...and the game is good again instead? :3:

I guess the Cocks are dead (not that we were that many to begin with), but by the OP it looks like WoL is still alive :black101: Also: is Ghost Heat still in, IE: can I play my Laser Drill?

Ghost heat is still in, but the laser drill is really good (six LL on the -4N, fire in groups of three)

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Party setup is a go:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Number19 posted:

Party setup is a go:

Please get screenshots of Paul's tetris scores over the night.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Number19 posted:

Party setup is a go:

Is there going to be a live stream?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Can't wait for the powerpoint on Community Warfare Phase Beta 5.238.42a Alpha Release

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

:vince:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sard posted:

You've driven by over a dozen times now, I dunno man.

Ok, but I do I seem angry? Is there something about my posts that gives you the impression I'm a very angry man? Just because someone posts about a thing they do not like doesn't mean they are just stewing in rage about it. Posters these days seem very quick to think that anyone who disagrees with them must be a very angry person.

Also holey moley was the game always 9 gb? I'm thinking it must have grown a lot, it was like half of that back in the day wasn't it?

Two Beans posted:

lol

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Finster Dexter posted:

Is there going to be a live stream?

It's going to be broadcast on our Twitch channel.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

armchairyoda posted:

Chomp, you should install the steamy version and hop on mumble with goons.

Anything you say cannot possibly be more angry than Skoll discussing his feelings about ________.

Also, you might have fun. If you go through a 1-round/1-drink rule like I do, you won't even remember it the next day and can stay legit mad.

I'm here to help.

I might on Sunday if I have time.

You know I do like to be fair to things I criticize and it's been a long, loooooong time. Also yes I've gathered Skoll is an angry fellow but that's ok I have thick skin.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Chomp8645 posted:

I might on Sunday if I have time.

gently caress yeah.

Two Beans posted:

I lol'd irl.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Two Beans posted:

:bravo:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kinda feels like they're trying too hard. I honestly think B33f's Direstar video would be the best advertisement for the game.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

A.o.D. posted:

I would say that downloading the game, installing it, and playing it for the minimum amount of time just to leave a negative review to be slightly unhinged.

Not that I'm suggesting that a negative review would be wrong, I just can't see how anyone could be justified in being that mad about the game to go through that much effort.

I don't see how downloading a game while preparing dinner or fixing something around the house and than starting it up to be any kind of effort. :shrug:
Also I hope that the steam version will use the steam service for patching, so I can get rid of my conventional installation and the aweful launcher/patcher they have. Yes, I still got the game installed, even if I only play a few rounds each month.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Feindfeuer posted:

I don't see how downloading a game while preparing dinner or fixing something around the house and than starting it up to be any kind of effort. :shrug:
Also I hope that the steam version will use the steam service for patching, so I can get rid of my conventional installation and the aweful launcher/patcher they have. Yes, I still got the game installed, even if I only play a few rounds each month.

The Steam version does use the Steam content delivery system to download and patch the game.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you downloaded a game and played it for a predetermined amount of time just to write a bad review there's more than likely something wrong mentally.

:agreed:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Need to do one more Catapult, was just gonna go gimmick ballistics with a K2 but since SRMs are in, does this look like a good idea?
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=24&l=b813d27880d87823afa7630a4f8f8c9ff67ed974

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I don't get why people complain about ghost heat.

It's to stop the horrible game that it used to be with jump jets and 6 PPCS at once.. it was terrible if you don't remember.

Ghost heat, which still needs some tweaking, is a pretty good fix to keep Alpha strikes of craziness down.

That being said, this recent patch against acceleration and torso twisting was just loving stupid and it would have made more sense for them to double armor per mech and double armor per ton if they actually changed it to increase survive time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's to stop the horrible game that it used to be with jump jets and 6 PPCS at once.. it was terrible if you don't remember.

Ghost heat, which still needs some tweaking, is a pretty good fix to keep Alpha strikes of craziness down.

That being said, this recent patch against acceleration and torso twisting was just loving stupid and it would have made more sense for them to double armor per mech and double armor per ton if they actually changed it to increase survive time.

Nobody at "competitive levels" (:suicide:) ever used 6ppc builds. Those were, at best, gimmick build to rile up pubbies with. Poptarting was made worse by ghost heat, because it made brawling worse, which was a semi-reliable counter to poptarting.

You are all sorts of wrong, please stop.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

sebmojo posted:

I just tried this and yeah it's way better. Cooler too. What engine are you using? I'm on an XL 275 but I might try a 300 since i have one in a jenner.

Lol, a 285 I pulled out of a Founders Jenner I've never once played. If I wanted to optimize Id probably swap to the 300 but whatever.

I'd strongly advise against using an XL. This is a symmetrical brawler, ECM might keep you from getting focused but the left arm will eventually go and you WILL be losing side torsos.

The only IS medium I think I use an XL on is that one wolverine with the LL quirks. I want that thing to go as fast as possible because it's a long range flanker sorta deal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TipsyMcStagger posted:

ghost heat does make things more cinematic b/c more lazors

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
It also is attempting to prevent boating of weapons, while never actually determining why that was a problem to begin with. The frustration around it is that it represents a design choice that is not well argued, implemented or indicated to players, on the basis of a problem that was caused by other balance issues. On top of that, the person who implemented it regularly demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding regarding mech design and balance, which irritates people even more given the amount of effort people put in trying to provide alternative solutions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My favourite mwo thing is when someone pops up to say "guys ghost heat isn't too bad what's the problem". Because this means that person has looked at the current mech lab and seen the number of variables in play for each possible mech configuration and gone "well gosh darn it, PGI must have tried every combination of hard point numbers, hard point position, heat sink capacity, heat sink cooling rate, weapon critical slot size, weapon weight, cycle time, projectile speed, range, damage, ammo per ton, and beam duration and it just wasn't possible. Good thing they had the will to slap another system on top of the many many many systems they already had available to tinker with! Boy howdy that Paul is a smart feller!"

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Number19 posted:

The Steam version does use the Steam content delivery system to download and patch the game.

Best update ever, this is great. Now i'm actually looking forward to jumping back into my King Crab. :unsmith:

Ergath
Sep 19, 2014
I actually played a match last night [waits for applause to settle] and was interested to see the progress since I sacked it off back in the pre-U.I 2.0 days.

The tutorial is reasonable, though I'm not sure how much it'd help someone who's not played MW games before. Also the "new" mechlab etc. is OK, but in places a bit obscure.

The gameplay itself was enjoyable - fundamentally the same as it was during Beta but without collisions/falls - but I can see it getting old fast without either a) a much bigger range of maps & game modes or b) constant new mech purchases.

I still don't understand why this game wasn't just branded as MWO: Solaris. Doing so would have excused almost all of the game's limitations, conflicts with canon etc. and more importantly opened the door to awesomeness such as side bets, Robot Jox style arenas with killable spectators, grudge matches and...Duncan fuckin' Fisher.

tldr: I used to have a hamster named Barry.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Is Ghost Heat anywhere in the ingame interface now? Cause otherwise that's already a good reason GH is bad. Also no more christmas tree hunchie :(

Also Holy poo poo, the Stairmaster is still in charge?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Ghost heat is represented by a red warning triangle that appears if you load more than the ghost limited number of guns onto a mech in mech lab. If you click the triangle it will tell you that firing more than X of weapon Y will result in a higher than usual heat spike.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Ghost heat is represented by a red warning triangle that appears if you load more than the ghost limited number of guns onto a mech in mech lab. If you click the triangle it will tell you that firing more than X of weapon Y will result in a higher than usual heat spike.

What a time to be alive! How did brawl get back to be a thing? Fixed SRMs?

EDIT: also, i see the Centurion is gone from the "good Mechs list" in the OP...what happened? New IS Mechs that overshadow it?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 11, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ergath posted:

I still don't understand why this game wasn't just branded as MWO: Solaris. Doing so would have excused almost all of the game's limitations, conflicts with canon etc. and more importantly opened the door to awesomeness such as side bets, Robot Jox style arenas with killable spectators, grudge matches and...Duncan fuckin' Fisher.

It's the one thing I simply don't get. Making a Solaris simulator is such a painfully obvious thing that it requires an active effort to not see the appeal. Having a fully fleshed out Solaris mode with c-bill bets and a ladder would solve so many problems with the overall game it is ridiculous. I'm willing to blame a lot of MWO's ills on simple incompetence, but this decision I just can't understand. No one can be that stupid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ArchangeI posted:

It's the one thing I simply don't get. Making a Solaris simulator is such a painfully obvious thing that it requires an active effort to not see the appeal. Having a fully fleshed out Solaris mode with c-bill bets and a ladder would solve so many problems with the overall game it is ridiculous. I'm willing to blame a lot of MWO's ills on simple incompetence, but this decision I just can't understand. No one can be that stupid.

I think it's a fundamental failure of imagination. The core game is so strong and the visual aspect of watching games after you die already so compelling, it's bizarre they haven't made the leap into a fictional niche that's already there for them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I think it's a fundamental failure of imagination. The core game is so strong and the visual aspect of watching games after you die already so compelling, it's bizarre they haven't made the leap into a fictional niche that's already there for them.

It's been pointed out to them several times in townhalls and on twitter, which, as we all know, is the best way to design a game. They are still not going for it. Maybe it's some sort of irrational unwillingness of altering the 12v12 gameplay, the 4v4 CW missions have been promised for the near future almost since CW released. It's pretty obvious that not a single line of code has been written for them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Never underestimate the incompetence of :pgi:. People tell them to how to get out of the holes they put themselves in, and they keep tryin' to dig up.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MWO peaked at about 1500 Steam players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/342200

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Do we know anything about how bad the Warhammer is going to be? It's one of my favourite Macross designs, so I'm wondering if I should save my C-Bills or just get to 1.1mil and buy a Stormcrow.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do we know anything about how bad the Warhammer is going to be? It's one of my favourite Macross designs, so I'm wondering if I should save my C-Bills or just get to 1.1mil and buy a Stormcrow.

Stormcrow will be superior in every way.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Number19 posted:

It's going to be broadcast on our Twitch channel.

What happened to the stream? Things not go as planned?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i havent played since before they added drop weight limits to group queue and i think its pretty insane compared to 4/4/4/4 based on a few games of the following composition:

it was pretty fun though, even if the new gauss charge feels like an eternity compared to pre-nerf. it's probably warranted though, and they still punch people's bits off superbly so who knows?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you consider drive by "game is bad" posts as "irrationally angry"?

Because I haven't seen anyone get real invested in calling it a bad game. Just calling it and leaving for the most part.

Downloading a game and playing it just so you can leave a negative review seems kinda stupid and cringeworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Downloading a game and playing it just so you can leave a negative review seems kinda stupid and cringeworthy.

If everyone who didn't like the game followed this logic, the steam reviews would be a++

• Locked thread