Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ntrepid posted:

The scoreboard outside of Jarden is for Milton High School. John Milton wrote Paradise Lost. The clock counted down to zero and paradise was essentially lost.

This has got to be deliberate, the town is inside a magical Edenic park, and there's all sorts of snake imagery going on, Evie's name is reminiscent of Eve and she was tempted into rebellion. Even the name Jarden is really close to Garden (of Eden, and also of Gethsemane, because Kevin is a Jesus now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

punchymcpunch posted:

This has got to be deliberate, the town is inside a magical Edenic park, and there's all sorts of snake imagery going on, Evie's name is reminiscent of Eve and she was tempted into rebellion. Even the name Jarden is really close to Garden (of Eden, and also of Gethsemane, because Kevin is a Jesus now).

Garden:
French - Jardin
Spanish - Jardin
Italian - Giardino

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Nearly a week after watching I Live Here Now it's still ringing in my ears. There's a certain nameless feeling I get when I read the last sentence of a good book, or when the credits roll on a film that really moved me, or when I watch someone I love pack their things to drive away for what I know is the last time. Sometimes it's gone by the time the book is back on the shelf. Sometimes it lingers for weeks. And the feeling offers a strange and in some ways useless way to judge the value of a thing or a relationship. How much do you miss it when it's gone?

It hasn't even been a week yet, but I feel like I'll be missing this show for a long time. That when other shows say something stupid or boring, I'll roll my eyes and think "The Leftovers wouldn't have made that mistake." When other shows try to pull off something emotionally riveting, but it falls on its face and feels and feels campy and forced, I'll think "Justin Theroux would have made it work. Carrie Coon would have made it work. The Leftovers would have made it work."

It may just be recency bias, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm witnessing the end of something singular. A quiet apocalypse where the world keeps spinning for that vast majority who didn't watch the show. But I'll be all right. There will be other shows, and I can pretend that they make me happy. I can fool myself and maybe even them, so long as I can avoid eye contact when they ask me if they're my favorite.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jesus Christ... I love the show to but some of you people need to take a break and go outside or something.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Jesus Christ... I love the show to but some of you people need to take a break and go outside or something.

Once you are truly marked or affected or ruined by something, that doesn't work. "Wherever you go, there you are."

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BonoMan posted:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I just finished doing the VFX for a movie with that girl in it.

Wait... am I in Jarden?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I just finished doing the VFX for a movie with that girl in it.

Wait... am I in Jarden?
You are in the purgatory hotel and your choice of garb is pedophile.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Josh Lyman posted:

You are in the purgatory hotel and your choice of garb is pedophile.

.... eww where did the pedo part come from you weirdo?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BonoMan posted:

.... eww where did the pedo part come from you weirdo?

It's a reference to the second season of The Leftovers, which is really good- check it out!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Ausiello got the scoop, renewed for a third and final season. http://tvline.com/2015/12/10/the-leftovers-season-3-renewed-hbo-final/

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Neato, three seasons is pretty good.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Ausiello got the scoop, renewed for a third and final season. http://tvline.com/2015/12/10/the-leftovers-season-3-renewed-hbo-final/

Excellent news.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress yeah, tbh 3 seasons with an end sounds pretty perfect for any show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

YES!!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress yeah, tbh 3 seasons with an end sounds pretty perfect for any show.

Yeah I really wish more shows adopted that format. It's my favorite.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
But in TV town the sun shone bright - a miracle!
The light of love poured down - it's a miracle!
Our hearts are pure we knew for sure - a miracle!
That God had spared our shooow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm SO glad that they all know, right now, where the end is, so that they can (hopefully) plan it out perfectly. Deadwood would have been handled better if they had known, I think. I mean, I love season 3, it just would have helped to have some sort of finality to it all, instead of just stopping.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
This is the best news since the joke that called bonoman a pedophile.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OH THANK GOD

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Belding posted:

This is the best news since the joke that called bonoman a pedophile.

hey i remember that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

gently caress yes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I'm good with that, I don't think this is a show that needs to go on for years and years, just end it with a bang next season.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Yeah, 3 seasons is good. There's very few shows that are good any longer than that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JayMax posted:

But in TV town the sun shone bright - a miracle!
The light of love poured down - it's a miracle!
Our hearts are pure we knew for sure - a miracle!
That God had spared our shooow

I usually get real annoyed when people reword songs but this was pretty good, thanks.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This is good news that I am happy about and I will see you people next season for more posting about this good show

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rad Lieutenant posted:

This is good news that I am happy about and I will see you people next season for more posting about this good show

I'm looking forward to binge watching the first two seasons leading into season 3.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I knew they said we would hear before the new year but man this is super soon. Pretty psyched about it, this was a peerless season.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

As long as the opening scene of season 3 is the Garveys attending the daughter character's funeral it will have a chance to be better than this season.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

FrensaGeran posted:

As long as the opening scene of season 3 is the Garveys attending the daughter character's funeral it will have a chance to be better than this season.

I need feminism because when a female character is assertive or interesting, it makes goons shitpost.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Belding posted:

I need feminism because when a female character is assertive or interesting, it makes goons shitpost.

No she is easily the worst character of the entire series and I'm an out and out feminist.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
She was better in season one when she had some stuff to do, but maybe that's cause her friends (the twins & the blonde chick who was maybe loving Kevin) were just pretty cool.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

BonoMan posted:

No she is easily the worst character of the entire series and I'm an out and out feminist.

When you talk it gives my ears aids.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Tommy's the worst character.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rad Lieutenant posted:

She was better in season one when she had some stuff to do, but maybe that's cause her friends (the twins & the blonde chick who was maybe loving Kevin) were just pretty cool.

This is pretty much it. She felt like nothing but a confusion ball in this season. She existed for no other purpose but to give other characters something to react to. And not in a clever way. She would just be intentionally obtuse and vague to artificially stunt character development.

Mr. Belding posted:

This post is to the forums what Jill is to The Leftovers.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Mr. Belding posted:

Lol you loving loser

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

Please stop posting forever

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I believe Damon Lindelof said in an interview after the finale that he wished he had time for more characters this season and Jill was one of them. I bet season 3 will have at least 1 Jill episode. That's great because I really like the girl who plays Jill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I believe Damon Lindelof said in an interview after the finale that he wished he had time for more characters this season and Jill was one of them. I bet season 3 will have at least 1 Jill episode. That's great because I really like the girl who plays Jill.

Same but I also want to have sex with her.

• Locked thread