Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

BloodBag posted:

One

Thousand

Dollars

:negative:

I'll be dropping that poo poo to $250-500 on the next renewal.

I know that feeling. Writing a $950 check tomorrow for a new bumper/fender liner on my WRX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Have fun with that. We couldn't loving care less if you want a higher deductible but we sure as gently caress want you to pay out the rear end if you lower it.

That's the thing though, I have a 250 deductible and when I asked how much I would save changing to 1000, it was less than 20 bucks a year different.

State Farm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

That's the thing though, I have a 250 deductible and when I asked how much I would save changing to 1000, it was less than 20 bucks a year different.

State Farm.

Thats the industry in general. I don't work in property or auto but if I get a request like that the first thing I do is pull up the client's claim history to see if they've actually claimed something in that bracket.

The reverse of course is them assuming you're going to claim like a motherfucker if you go the other way.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

1500quidporsche posted:

Thats the industry in general. I don't work in property or auto but if I get a request like that the first thing I do is pull up the client's claim history to see if they've actually claimed something in that bracket.

The reverse of course is them assuming you're going to claim like a motherfucker if you go the other way.

I've been with USAA since 1997 and this is the first year I've ever made a claim. I dunno if that helps, but seriously they've been really good and I hope I'm not gonna get pounded on premiums even if I don't lower deductibles.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm in life/health insurance in canada so I can't speak to specific auto insurance industry trends. I know from experience large one off claims aren't a huge red flag, 99% of the people in the industry will totally overlook that, its the second time that we start to think that maybe you're the issue and start charging you out the rear end. I literally incurred a $10k claim a week into my property policy last year and it jumped all of $12, I know that's way more loving lenient then my company would be on any group life or disability policy.

My understanding with property/auto is that the bigger issue right now is the shitheels with a $500 deductible that makes a claim on their $600 couch because their dog took a poo poo on it. Its a huge loving thing paying out those claims, I've talked to a guy who said property/auto claims automatically get $2k added on to them as soon as a claims adjuster gets involved. So you've got an uneasy situation now where if you make a claim slightly above the deductible most insurance companies will just cut you a cheque without even looking into the claim, but gently caress you in the rear end for it at renewal.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
something failed mechanically at some point

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
pizdetz.jpg

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found on imgur.

Looks like it's hitting vtec.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bajaha posted:

Found on imgur.

I hope it made it to 88 mph before hitting the bridge.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Found on imgur.

Pff, look at this Prius driver over here. He's clearly rolling coal, bro.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

atomicthumbs posted:

something failed mechanically at some point

What's crazy about this is that it looks like there's zero body damage. Like replace the windshield and whatever got torn/poo poo on inside and the car's good to go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the floorplan is probably shot as well which may have taken the driveshaft with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I expect the suspension and axles would have taken a good jolt too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I imagine the driver's seat will need a drat good cleaning, too.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Midjack posted:

I expect the suspension and axles would have taken a good jolt too.

yeah, check that rear camber. something is definitely bent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sudo Echo posted:

Rear trailing arm gets more negative camber the lower it goes. With a heavy rear end chunk of steel sitting in the back seat it might just be bottomed out suspension and/or the shocks blew. Apparently they guy just got a scratch on his arm :stonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

I dunno, it looks fine from the other angles, don't you think?

Actually, it might be slightly negative, the more I look at it. I still wouldn't go with "definitely" though.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rear trailing arm gets more negative camber the lower it goes. With a heavy rear end chunk of steel sitting in the back seat it might just be bottomed out suspension and/or the shocks blew. Apparently they guy just got a scratch on his arm :stonk:

Do you think it's that heavy? It's probably a few hundred pounds, but I don't think it would have a huge affect on the ride height.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 12, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...lowTwt_BAYBrand

It's sheet metal.

quote:

a metal tray loader flew off of a truck
Would kill you stone dead if it hit you at highway speeds but probably only tore the upholstery.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sudo Echo posted:

Looks like standard X5 alignment to me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cartoon posted:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...lowTwt_BAYBrand

It's sheet metal.
Would kill you stone dead if it hit you at highway speeds but probably only tore the upholstery.

Ahhh I thought it was an i-beam and that was incredible.
Yes, X5s have pretty good negative camber in the rear.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Ahhh I thought it was an i-beam and that was incredible.
Yes, X5s have pretty good negative camber in the rear.

Ah, if it wasn't an I beam then yeah,there's much less chance of overloading structure.

Hell of a photo though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha Holy poo poo I pegged the location just by the overgrowth on the wall and I haven't been living there for 5 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Hahaha Holy poo poo I pegged the location just by the overgrowth on the wall and I haven't been living there for 5 years.

And that brick pattern. Good old "Moorpark" on one side of the freeway and "Parkmoor" on the other

(8 years for me)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
.....pass

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's never lupus.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

1500quidporsche posted:

My understanding with property/auto is that the bigger issue right now is the shitheels with a $500 deductible that makes a claim on their $600 couch because their dog took a poo poo on it. Its a huge loving thing paying out those claims, I've talked to a guy who said property/auto claims automatically get $2k added on to them as soon as a claims adjuster gets involved. So you've got an uneasy situation now where if you make a claim slightly above the deductible most insurance companies will just cut you a cheque without even looking into the claim, but gently caress you in the rear end for it at renewal.

I assume this is only for at-fault stuff? I got tagged in traffic a few weeks ago, I was stationary at a stoplight, lady hit me from behind. Only damage to my truck was a broken taillight. We swapped info, but she offered to pay out of pocket, I said sure and told her the number would be $400 ($240 for the part plus the hassle of ordering and installing). She balked and tried to barter with me, which pissed me off so badly I reported it to my insurance company anyway. My insurance waived my deductible, but should I avoid making small claims like that even if they are clearly not my fault?

Sorry for insurancechat.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

I lived in a tiny apartment with a view of that wall across Moorpark.
Near Winchester it got toasty from a rain of sparks when a block of Santana Row blazed out during initial construction.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Savington posted:

I assume this is only for at-fault stuff? I got tagged in traffic a few weeks ago, I was stationary at a stoplight, lady hit me from behind. Only damage to my truck was a broken taillight. We swapped info, but she offered to pay out of pocket, I said sure and told her the number would be $400 ($240 for the part plus the hassle of ordering and installing). She balked and tried to barter with me, which pissed me off so badly I reported it to my insurance company anyway. My insurance waived my deductible, but should I avoid making small claims like that even if they are clearly not my fault?

Sorry for insurancechat.

They don't have to pay their deductible if they're at fault - at least for the damage to your vehicle (they do have to pay their collision deductible if they want to get their own car fixed). They just get bent over the next time their insurance renews, and continue getting bent over for a few years. At least in my own experience, I rearended someone years ago, and got bent over really bad for about 3 years (to the point that I switched insurance companies immediately when I got my renewal quote - my insurance more than tripled if I had stayed with them, and still doubled with most other companies).

Similarly, I had a pretty similar claim recently (got clipped by the guy in the next lane). My own insurance said they would only handle everything if I paid my deductible, then they would sue his insurance to recover it. The total damage, even including a rental car, wound up being less than my collision deductible; thankfully his insurance accepted responsibility pretty quickly.

I offered to let the other guy pay out of pocket, he responded by filing an injury claim against my insurance. :fuckoff: FWIW, I did have a dashcam, and sent the video to my own insurance (and they used that video as their primary basis to tell him to go pound sand), but his insurance said the witness statement was enough for them to accept liability.

I'm kinda curious how this whole thing will affect my own insurance, though there wasn't an official police report filed (a cop did show up, but decided the damage was minor enough to only file a call sheet instead of an actual report).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 13, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

I was thinking maybe it was Walnut Creek, knew it had to be in the Bay Area somewhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Xlorp posted:

I lived in a tiny apartment with a view of that wall across Moorpark.
Near Winchester it got toasty from a rain of sparks when a block of Santana Row blazed out during initial construction.

Ol' Ma Winchester's ghosts strike again :ghost:

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I remember that day. The Mystery House and the Century dome theaters would have gotten torched if the wind was blowing that direction.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Savington posted:

Sorry for insurancechat.

It's good to raise her insurance rate a little, rear ending someone is kinda inexcusable in my opinion. It would also suck if you took her money and then found more damage behind the tail light.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXn33o0rKE

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Thats not really what you want to see on your tractor dash. 37 degrees outside, viscous hubs totally free wheeling.

I got to drive the 45 mins home with the heater blasting flat out just to keep it out of the red. And you cant open any windows on the stupid thing either.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Thats not really what you want to see on your tractor dash. 37 degrees outside, viscous hubs totally free wheeling.

I got to drive the 45 mins home with the heater blasting flat out just to keep it out of the red. And you cant open any windows on the stupid thing either.

I'm the untrimmed left middle fingernail

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Just leave the doors hanging open, that's what we do on our Ford and it hasn't broken a door in twenty-ish years.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

They don't have to pay their deductible if they're at fault - at least for the damage to your vehicle (they do have to pay their collision deductible if they want to get their own car fixed). They just get bent over the next time their insurance renews, and continue getting bent over for a few years. At least in my own experience, I rearended someone years ago, and got bent over really bad for about 3 years (to the point that I switched insurance companies immediately when I got my renewal quote - my insurance more than tripled if I had stayed with them, and still doubled with most other companies).

Similarly, I had a pretty similar claim recently (got clipped by the guy in the next lane). My own insurance said they would only handle everything if I paid my deductible, then they would sue his insurance to recover it. The total damage, even including a rental car, wound up being less than my collision deductible; thankfully his insurance accepted responsibility pretty quickly.

I offered to let the other guy pay out of pocket, he responded by filing an injury claim against my insurance. :fuckoff: FWIW, I did have a dashcam, and sent the video to my own insurance (and they used that video as their primary basis to tell him to go pound sand), but his insurance said the witness statement was enough for them to accept liability.

I'm kinda curious how this whole thing will affect my own insurance, though there wasn't an official police report filed (a cop did show up, but decided the damage was minor enough to only file a call sheet instead of an actual report).

Well, as someone that has made 4 different claims over the past 9 years (none my fault) I can tell you it does not affect your insurance. I had a snow plow hit me in a parking lot. Ate 250 deductible on that because it was basically a hit&run. Next up was the shithead in the CRX that sideswiped me and put me into a guardrail. Paid my 250 deductible and took it to the shop I wanted to use. Got my deductible back a few weeks later. Then less than a year later some rear end in a top hat tried to break into my car and hosed up the b-pillar. Only 100 dollar deductible on that one since it was considered comprehensive as it was a theft attempt. The manager of the Best Buy I was at when it happened gave me a 100$ gift card to cover it. The most recent one was when a truck got tboned and flipped over landing on my hood while I was stopped at a red light. Paid my 250 deductible again and got my car fixed at the shop I like. Got my deductible back a few weeks later. None of these have increased my premiums.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That last one sounds like a hell of a pants-shitter. :staredog:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

Well, as someone that has made 4 different claims over the past 9 years (none my fault) I can tell you it does not affect your insurance. I had a snow plow hit me in a parking lot. Ate 250 deductible on that because it was basically a hit&run. Next up was the shithead in the CRX that sideswiped me and put me into a guardrail. Paid my 250 deductible and took it to the shop I wanted to use. Got my deductible back a few weeks later. Then less than a year later some rear end in a top hat tried to break into my car and hosed up the b-pillar. Only 100 dollar deductible on that one since it was considered comprehensive as it was a theft attempt. The manager of the Best Buy I was at when it happened gave me a 100$ gift card to cover it. The most recent one was when a truck got tboned and flipped over landing on my hood while I was stopped at a red light. Paid my 250 deductible again and got my car fixed at the shop I like. Got my deductible back a few weeks later. None of these have increased my premiums.

Is this all the same vehicle? Also, I don't want to be in the same State as your bad luck, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

That last one sounds like a hell of a pants-shitter. :staredog:

Oh it was. The truck hit my car just hard enough to break the headlight and dent the hood. If it has stopped 6 inches sooner I'd have been free and clear.

As far as cars, the first 3 incidents were on my GLI and the last one was on my Golf.

People out here in CO really are a bunch of morons when it comes to driving. But that can be said for most of the country.