Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I always thought of it more as that weird green game. Certainly not an attractive color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

I always thought of it more as that weird green game. Certainly not an attractive color.

The box is blue, the environments are green. Either way :barf:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I bought the bundle stars thing, but it's saying it won't let me get the keys until I confirm my email. The confirmation email won't show up (the 'you bought a thing!' email did though, so I know they have the right address).

Has anyone worked with these guys before or did I just get scammed?

edit: Apparently it was just waiting for me to whine about it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

I bought the bundle stars thing, but it's saying it won't let me get the keys until I confirm my email. The confirmation email won't show up (the 'you bought a thing!' email did though, so I know they have the right address).

Has anyone worked with these guys before or did I just get scammed?

edit: Apparently it was just waiting for me to whine about it.

Apparently they do that with ~1% of purchases as a fraud prevention thing. There's some notice on their site about it.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Tafferling posted:

I love his work. Thief has one of the most memorable intros of all time and the ending buildup and final guitar riff made a strong and satisfying finale even better.
I even liked his crazy drum 'n bass in SS2. It's a little offputting at first but the first time its frantic tunes connect with a mad scramble to escape a gibbering monstrosity it's moody as hell.
I agree. I also think his work on SWAT 4 is pretty underrated. The track that plays when you're going into that serial killer's house is loving awesome.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

gullah jack posted:

I agree. I also think his work on SWAT 4 is pretty underrated. The track that plays when you're going into that serial killer's house is loving awesome.

i completely forgot to mention SWAT 4. for being a tactical FPS with a surprising amount of depth, it has an very dense atmosphere that hasn't really been touched in any other similar titles.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks guys :respek:

I just reached the village and am really digging it so far! I never thought I'd play a game with a knife more ridiculously overpowered than the one from Code Veronica.

Yeah, I love RtCW, but just so you know, you should be coming up on the first stealth level soon, and it's awful. How are you playing it? Vanilla, Unofficial Patch or ioRtCW?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

newmans_owned posted:

i completely forgot to mention SWAT 4. for being a tactical FPS with a surprising amount of depth, it has an very dense atmosphere that hasn't really been touched in any other similar titles.

It also has the greatest multiplayer in the world. You shoot your teammates with pepper balls and the other team starts hearing radio calls about how the suspects are high or possibly deranged.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

catlord posted:

Yeah, I love RtCW, but just so you know, you should be coming up on the first stealth level soon, and it's awful. How are you playing it? Vanilla, Unofficial Patch or ioRtCW?

Vanilla (GOG).

Yeah, that level is pretty loving terrible, but I honestly had more trouble dealing with Clayface and his heat seeking ghost buddies.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The later stealth mission in the game set in the village is pretty fantastic, the biggest issue with the first one is that most of the time you have no loving idea if you've been seen until it's too late. I've been caught with a doomed save file more than once whilst playing that drat level.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Luigi Thirty posted:

It also has the greatest multiplayer in the world. You shoot your teammates with pepper balls and the other team starts hearing radio calls about how the suspects are high or possibly deranged.

Jesus christ I can't believe I missed out on this game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Happy Doom Day, everyone! I've decided to see what happens when you go to link which is supposed to host 12th Cacowards, and well, it seems I've found a secret area: http://www.doomworld.com/22years/

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Preserved for posterity when they actually upload the real page: it's Post Hell music :ssh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1531423 some neat news for fans of the PSX Doom soundtrack, Aubrey Hodges is working on a special re-release for its 20th anniversary.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Happy Doom Day :devil:

Let's celebrate the greatest detective game of all time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm19umf5imI

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Geight posted:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1531423 some neat news for fans of the PSX Doom soundtrack, Aubrey Hodges is working on a special re-release for its 20th anniversary.

Cool, I like the creepy, atmospheric soundtracks for PSX Doom and Doom 64. I also found out recently that Aubrey Hodges worked on the soundtracks for a couple of Sierra games (aside from QFG4 though, I can't find much information about what he worked on specifically.)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Cacowards are up. I'm not involved enough to recognize any of the names on the sidebar

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Geight posted:

insanely good ambient music is basically what makes my world go 'round, so i really did enjoy Aubrey Hodges' work for he did for Midway when he did the music for the console versions of doom (and the much more distinctive doom 64)

can't wait to hear what he puts out

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Those are drat good selections this year!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Good awards, IMO. I enjoyed this year of Doom.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can't talk about Doom day without taking a(nother) look at this wonderful video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pek_JxmPonM

(parts 2 and 3 should be in the related vids)

This is seriously one of my favourite things on Youtube :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think someone brought up sunlust a while ago. i only played it a little before getting sidetracked, but from what i saw it looked well thought out.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Passed along word of the Cacowards to our community managers, looks like the tweet went up! https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/675072564696248320

koren
Sep 7, 2003

er, okay?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

:confuoot:

e: for a less confused :toot: I am pleased at how much stuff there is on the cacowards that I haven't played yet. Should have plenty of time during the holidays to crack them open

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

romero put up this old, old pic of tom hall's office today.

he had tape walls

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

newmans_owned posted:

he had tape walls

Looks like he even had a tape door

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Did he pull up the door and place it across the gap when he wanted to be left alone?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Keiya posted:

Did he pull up the door and place it across the gap when he wanted to be left alone?

Well yeah, there was no vertical height in ID offices back then so if he closed the door it would just appear as a wall

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unfortunately, it also predated polyobjects, so if he wanted to close the door he had to recompile the entire office building.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Welp, RTCW was pretty fun until Nazis turned into bullet sponges and those legless assholes showed up. I like a challenge, but this is getting a tad bullshitty now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

newmans_owned posted:

he had tape walls

I like that he had an 'open tape' policy. :allears:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

spongeh posted:

Passed along word of the Cacowards to our community managers, looks like the tweet went up! https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/675072564696248320
Good to hear that the "community managers" have to be informed of the largest and oldest fan website about the game they're making a reboot of

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Castor Poe posted:

Welp, RTCW was pretty fun until Nazis turned into bullet sponges and those legless assholes showed up. I like a challenge, but this is getting a tad bullshitty now.

You really have to save the Venom(?) ammo for those because it's really the only weapon that will chew through them in any reasonable amount of time. And while it was quite some time ago since I played it, I seem to recall that most maps they appear on also have some kind of built-in gimmick that lets you dispose of them a bit easier than in a straight-up slugfest.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

Good to hear that the "community managers" have to be informed of the largest and oldest fan website about the game they're making a reboot of

Community managers are glorified official forums admins, and sometimes they'll also show up on streams and twitter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sock's been crossing the streams.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

You can probably put quotation marks around the word reboot too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always thought Doom's bestiary and weaponset with Quake's architecture would be an interesting mix, since I kinda prefer the former but have been rather fascinated with the verticality of the latter.

Those screens sock put out kind of give me that vibe. Even if there's a Hexen 2 enemy in the mix.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the official version of tribes: ascend on steam has been fully updated to the revamped system that removes all the weird cash shop poo poo, leveling, etc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yzN7KdUn0mFrZGHjcM8CUMSy8aV-WzYlu3NB3hyo760/pub

basically all the changes they've been doing for a few months but actually applied to the real game instead of a test server. there's A LOT of changes, but mostly the general gist of it is that they're leveling the playing field and taking out a lot of the dumb decisions they made. it is, also, still free on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/17080/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I just played through the Half-Life mod Chemical Existence, which laserghost discovered and posted earlier in this thread. It was an interesting experience, but not one I'd reccomend to others.

You play as Reece Max, a Burer from STALKER Call of Pripyat, who is on his way to visit his sister, when he crashes his oversized Matchbox car into a truck in the middle of a slum. Some people shoot at him, then Morpheus's evil twin steps out of a nearby alley and speaks to him. I have no idea what Morpheus says, because the ambient rain sound drowns it out, and the text narration says something completely different. Then Reece places his hand gently on Morpheus's chest, causing him to fly back four feet. Reece takes this opportunity to escape, and the game begins.

I'm struggling to think of something to say about the game's levels. I don't really remember them all that well, and this is after starting the game last night, and finishing it about an hour ago. Everything looked the same. That last screenshot there, that's basically what the whole game looks like. You just alternate between bland, grimy urban areas, and bland, grimy techbases.

The enemies are generic punks, police, soldiers, secret agents who look like a formally-attired Gina Cross and sound like a higher-pitched version of Zoey from the Yogscast, and occasionally, the retarded cousin of Phobos from Counter-Strike Online. All gun-wielding enemies will shoot you as soon as they see you, and long before you see them. Which you won't, because you can't see anything, because everything is really dark, (those bright sceenshots from the intro were taken during flashes of lightning) and you don't have a flashlight until you pick up the machine gun and try out its alt-fire. Yes, the flashlight is the alt-fire of a single weapon, meaning if you run out of ammo for that one gun, you have no light.

Since I've mentioned the machine gun, I should probably talk more about the game's weapons. They are guns. They shoot bullets. That's about all there is to say about them. The game's health pickups, when you manage to find any, act as a "weapon", which you have to equip and "fire" to heal yourself. An idea as original as it is tedious and unhelpful.

There is one level that looks different from all the rest. In the middle of one of the base levels, you blow something up, and then black out and have a nightmare. It has no lead-up, and once it's over, is never referred to again. It consists of three rooms linked by short hallways, with walls and floors made of faces and bodies, an altar with Reece lying dead on it with a knife in his chest, and a single enemy, a boss battle with a creature that looks like a cyborg lizard with a flayed, screaming human face in its gut. There's a chance all of this might possibly sound interesting, but the game does everything in its power to make it tedious and frustrating. The Creature does nothing but run at you and swipe at you with its powerful melee attack. The arena is too small to allow you to run very far, and there's large pools of instant-death water in the middle of the room, so backpedaling is risky. The only way I was able to kill it was by standing at the side of one of the pools, against a wall, where the Creature couldn't reach me. It just stood there and stared at me while I shot it in the face.

At some point in the game, I found a dying man who looked like a zombie. He said that... whatever the gently caress was happening in the game, was caused by a chemical company, and told me to go destroy their chemical plant and stop them before they infect the world. Finally, we have a plot! After his exposition, the man died. A moment later, a woman appeared out of nowhere, dressed in what people in the 80's might have thought of as a sexy futuristic outfit. She said she was on my side, and... that was it, really. She didn't say who exactly she was, or why she was on my side. She didn't even give me her name, though that may be because she doesn't have one; her filenames and the game credits refer to her only as "Femme." She disappeared for a while after that, until a few levels later, when she drove me from one level to another in a truck while I failed to shoot anything with a machine gun turret in the back. Then she disappeared again until the beginning of the last level, when she ran across a bridge, which blew up, completely gibbing her. Femme left the game as she had entered it: Suddenly, pointlessly, with no fanfare or explanation.

The final level was one of the techbase ones, representing the chemical company's central plant. Over the few levels before it, I had assembled parts for a bomb, then planted it in the plant's control room. I blundered through it blindly until I found the final boss arena, the boss being the evil Morpheus guy Reece gently brushed his hand against in the intro. As with the Creature, I could only kill him by standing somewhere that caused his AI to break, stopping him from moving or attacking. After the boss died, the bomb went off, destroying the chemical plant, and, somehow, the Earth. Job well done!

All in all, the game felt like someone's attempt to make Sin less fun. Half-Quake wasn't this torturous. The writing made me long for Azure Sheep. Don't play Chemical Existence.