Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Snowy posted:

Wait puzzle man isn't even the artist? I guess I've really been following this casually but the author made some really vague puzzles and couldn't even paint? Seriously Kit Williams must go nuts that people still give a poo poo about this book. Or not, because it means everybody leaves him alone.

The Puzzle Man is Byron Preiss. He wrote the verses and the litany of the jewels. John Jude Palencar is the artist. When burying the casks, Preiss took Polaroid photographs of the treasure ground as well as whatever he wanted to be a clue and gave them to Palencar to incorporate into the images. How much they directly collaborated or what kind of notes accompanied them, I cannot answer to, but the imagery was drawn from a series of Polaroids Preiss took in each city he buried the treasure in.

Every genius who stumbles across The Secret tries to contact John Jude Palencar. Don't do it. He's sick of hearing from you and will not respond. He gets requests like this all the time, apparently. With the renewed popularity in The Secret, he's probably getting even more grumpy, because all around the internet I read about people's attempts to contact him. Regardless, Palencar did accompany Priess burying one cask (Cask 4, Cleveland, Solved), because he actually provided the idea for the location. As I understand it, he didn't necessarily know the specific locations where the casks were buried, even back in the 80's. 11 years ago when he was already telling people not to ask him about The Secret, but was at least willing to correspond on the subject, his entire knowledge of Image 4, after the cask was already found, was "I think the Centaurs hat had something about it." He simply doesn't remember, and even if he did/does care, he ultimately said he would honor the contest and Preiss, and wouldn't say anything even if he did know, which he doesn't.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
So here's the deal. The post below requires you to know a thing or two about the clues and verses, and hopefully you have been following along enough to know how cutthroat this has become. If not, I'm sorry and we can get back to bitching about Xie in short order. Fact is, there's a secret faction and big drama going on over at Q4T which I have yet to figure out. If Q4T was Rowdy Ringsports, I would be inflating my ego to consider myself a upper midcarder. At any rate, sooper secret dudes with ground penetrating radar are flying all over North America are apparently digging holes with limited wrist injury. They also don't share with the rest of the class. Below is my post addressing the issue, but moreover, laying down the ultimatum to make sure some goons bring home a cask before these shadowy operatives who refuse to share their work. I don't want us to get our asses whipped by a bunch of goddamn nerds.

Merlot Brougham posted:

I am expanding on what became a more general post (after 3 sentences) than a direct response to Decibal(s image), and not necessarily Image 4 in the Image 4 thread, so I moved it here.

decibalnyc posted:

What about Ohio? Kidding. This is good stuff.

Had we not known this image was linked with Verse 4, and didn't know Image 8 was Verse 1, I think Verse 4 would possibly get you to think of Image 8. "Seek the Columns for your search". I've mentioned this about the depth of Preiss' trickery in prior posts, but if we abide by the current consensus, he's giving similar red herrings by burying a treasure in Charleston and then giving us a verse with the word "Citadel".

If I may digress for a moment before I move on to my point about using the word "citadel", can I ask if the elite cadre that you are a part of, DecibalNYC, is operating under the framework of what is generally termed the "consensus" Image/Verse pairs?

Back to Citadel, though. Think about it for a second. The Citadel is a pretty iconic institution for locals in Charleston, but I don't know how many people in 1980, or now for that matter, would know that The Citadel is in Charleston. If you're a local/east coast southerner, or a student of military history, yes, and reading the book for the first time, I think you would pick up on that word and make the connection. At that point, you still have 12 images to look at to try and find one that fits into Charleston. It took a lot of work to find the matches and connections that we just take for granted in Image 2 that makes it unquestionably Charleston. If you're picking up the book for the first time in the 80's, I think it's important to see what a big red herring this is if you're in the 1980's and Verse 5 isn't really Charleston. It would be an extremely calculated decision on Preiss' part to bury a cask in the city that is home to the CItadel and use that word in a verse that isn't connected to Charleston. There are many synonyms for "citadel" that could have been used, and many other cities than Charleston to bury a cask. Definitely a deliberate choice.

(Side note from this specific post but something I'd enjoy discussing: The last lines of each clue and their importance. We have 2 solved where we know One being an image/verse connection in Verse 4's "seek the column", and from someone on the treasure ground a "backward" clue, in the order the directions are given. One being nearby landmarks that are also a "backward" clue with "Seek the Sounds..", which are also not literal sounds like what we assume are literal sounds in other verses where he mentions sounds. But yet the "still hear the honking" in Verse 9 is indeed a literal sound, but not the sound of a car horn like one would probably think at face value. Regardless, in Chicago and Cleveland, the specific dig spot is earlier in the verse. The last lines are more of a "you're getting very hot" type line. Verse 10, same thing. We know that the "Dauntless" portion of verse 11 is off a nearby monument, another "backward" clue. Rambling on this point and this isn't the main topic of this post, but something I'd like to discuss)

My original point was referring to the deception about "seek the columns" which is both a treasure ground clue but also is a link in the verse to a specific image, but leaves it up in the air about which image, specifically, until you connect the dots. I'd appreciate any input.

In terms of words in the verses that can link you to images at face value:

"Land Near the Window" (Image 3 / Verse 11)
"Seek the columns for your search" (Image 4 / Verse 4 - Solved)
"Twice as many east steps as the hour" (Image 12/Verse 10??? - Or another image/verse that has a clock in the image)
"Fence and fixture central too" (Image 5 Verse 12 - Solved)

The more speculative:

"At stone wall's door" - The porticullis in Image 1
"As the sound of friends fills the afternoon hours" - I've brought this up before, maybe nothing, but the theatrical mask covers (fills) the afternoon hours in Image 7

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Come on, I've moved and everything, no one ever came for my mug. i didn't even bury it all the way.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Pick posted:

Come on, I've moved and everything, no one ever came for my mug. i didn't even bury it all the way.

I am honestly hoping to re-generate interest in this thread and the hunt. More selfishly, I am looking for Montreal goons to do my bidding, which, if you dox me in this thread, you will know that's a sincere request.

I spend way too much of my free time on this hunt and I want to bring a cask home here. I am particularly fired up knowing there is a super secret off-shoot from Q4T group who thinks they're going to get one before we do.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 11, 2015

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is everything you just posted for real? Or like, a cool fantasy "what if" scenario, for a fun post?

Between everything Urban Smurf and your notional illuminati of dirt-digging, I've never been so confused by a thread in my life. Love it, thank you all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm with ya MB, the secret is cool. Q4T is unreadable though. Don't know how you put up with that.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

You're doing the lord's work, MB.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
This is the worst National Treasure yet

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Have you people considered getting a truffle hog for this stuff? You already know what cities to look in, so get a hog, train it and then walk it through the parks. Just sayin' ...

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

waitwhatno posted:

Have you people considered getting a truffle hog for this stuff? You already know what cities to look in, so get a hog, train it and then walk it through the parks. Just sayin' ...

To smell the plastic or ceramic container under the earth? :colbert:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I think I've figured out a way to use every painting as a map. This method isn't easy to explain and it provides only a general direction or area. The main uncertainties are scale and orientation of each anchor point. The decision on what represents an anchor point involves some educated guesswork or insight.

In Chicago it was the Historic Water Tower identifying with the Windmill (utility for pumping water) and links to the Buckingham Fountain, another large iconic structure that pumps or controls water. I've outlined a couple areas that looked interesting. You can see where the area where the casque was found is generally south of the Water Tower and west of the Buckingham Fountain,

In Cleveland the Terminal Tower is southwest of the Greek Gardens. The word "terminus" in Greek architecture is the base point of a statue bust or object springs from the top of a column or plateform. Terminus also means the end of something. Inverting the image so that the Terminal Tower is right side up, the line connecting it's base (terminus) to the end of the Centaur's tail (terminus) looks like a strong connection to the map which connects the two large iconic landmark to the treasure ground,

Now for some speculation for the unsolved SF puzzle for which the Litany of the Jewels poem describes the pearl as follows:

From far Cathay, the dragon's Pearl:
Chaste, perfect as the silver moon.

Chastity is one of the challenges of Moral Conduct. The wikipedia article has a photo (likely a lucky coincidence) that looks similar enough to suggest the painting might support a thematic approach,

The letters G and h are a hint to reverse the image. G = Gates, H = Heaven/Hell

Failed moral conduct = Hell/Alcatraz
Successful or good conduct = Heaven/Golden Gate

I think these two points are linked to the map and result in fixing the orientation of the table top/watch/rose as a corresponding location on the map for Lands End and the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

An important and literal reference to the SF puzzle is this art sculpture, the Gates of Hell, by August Rodin which exists in sections on the grounds of the Palace of the Legion of Honor as the Thinker and the Three Shades,

This doesn't begin to address any specifics of the verses, but perhaps it helps point us in the right general direction.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 12, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't hate that Golden Gate Bridge on her collar.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah and the swat team shows up to shoot my terrorist pig.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Urban Smurf posted:

I think I've figured out a way to use every painting as a map. This method isn't easy to explain and it provides only a general direction or area. The main uncertainties are scale and orientation of each anchor point. The decision on what represents an anchor point involves some educated guesswork or insight.

In Chicago it was the Historic Water Tower identifying with the Windmill (utility for pumping water) and links to the Buckingham Fountain, another large iconic structure that pumps or controls water. I've outlined a couple areas that looked interesting. You can see where the area where the casque was found is generally south of the Water Tower and west of the Buckingham Fountain,

In Cleveland the Terminal Tower is southwest of the Greek Gardens. The word "terminus" in Greek architecture is the base point of a statue bust or object springs from the top of a column or plateform. Terminus also means the end of something. Inverting the image so that the Terminal Tower is right side up, the line connecting it's base (terminus) to the end of the Centaur's tail (terminus) looks like a strong connection to the map which connects the two large iconic landmark to the treasure ground,

Now for some speculation for the unsolved SF puzzle for which the Litany of the Jewels poem describes the pearl as follows:

Chastity is one of the challenges of Moral Conduct. The wikipedia article has a photo (likely a lucky coincidence) that looks similar enough to suggest the painting might support a thematic approach,

I think these two points are linked to the map and result in fixing the orientation of the table top/watch/rose as a corresponding location on the map for Lands End and the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

An important and literal reference to the SF puzzle is this art sculpture, the Gates of Hell, by August Rodin which exists in sections on the grounds of the Palace of the Legion of Honor as the Thinker and the Three Shades,

This doesn't begin to address any specifics of the verses, but perhaps it helps point us in the right general direction.

Her face is conspicuously symmetrical. That shape has to crrespond to something.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

BigFactory posted:

I'm with ya MB, the secret is cool. Q4T is unreadable though. Don't know how you put up with that.

Get Meat Street to release the files of the original goon wiki and I'm in.

Q4T has some good stuff and some confirmation bias. There's a super secret crew of treasure hunters that were buying plane tickets and doing some searching, apparently. We'll see. I was far from cool enough to get in on the details of that.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2015

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
In "Letters from Earth", Twain writes 11 letters in the perspective of Satan writing to the archangels Gabriel and Michael.

Maybe there's a connection to be made by making the sign of the cross on a map,

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Hey, this thread is still around. Did that guy in Boston ever stop deciding to go hiking or whatever over unearthing a literal treasure?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
all those stupid treasures y'all are looking forward probably got dug up and tossed into the trash by some baffled Parks Department worker years ago hth.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thingyman posted:

Hey, this thread is still around. Did that guy in Boston ever stop deciding to go hiking or whatever over unearthing a literal treasure?

No, he just stopped posting in the thread, but I still see him around, maybe he was just loving with us? Too bad, it seemed like a solid shot.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Urban Smurf posted:

In "Letters from Earth", Twain writes 11 letters in the perspective of Satan writing to the archangels Gabriel and Michael.

Maybe there's a connection to be made by making the sign of the cross on a map,

i think you're on to something

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

all those stupid treasures y'all are looking forward probably got dug up and tossed into the trash by some baffled Parks Department worker years ago hth.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if at least some were accidentally dug up and broken doing some utility work and not even noticed

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I want Urban Smurf to solve them all in secret, bury new casks, and then we will know there's something to be found

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Here's my take on the merging of two perspectives for the SF location. The table with it's watch and rose are resolved separately from other elements of the puzzle.

Im using a perspective of standing near the front entrance of the Palace with the Thinker sculpture at my 6 o'clock. The bench and view of the Golden Gate Bridge are from a road below in that direction. The A is for Alcatraz and is in that direction on the horizon.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2015

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tony Homo was right all along, never saw it coming.

Stupid, STUPID...

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 7 Verse 2: NOLA
Turquoise the Fays of France keep: stone
Rare as a blue midsummer's day.

I'm running on visual estimations and relying on Google Maps here, but this is looking better now that I see some reasonable evidence to support each piece of the puzzle:

1) Indicators of Tomb No. 12: clock time is 12, child statue on tomb is sad (blue), floating figure looks like Hermes, contour of the side of clock looks close to contour of weeping statue

2) Indicators of Morazan: PRES of Centeral America (where namesakes of Amerigo Vespucci meet), triangle in circle looks similar to shaded crescent of moon on clock, hem of pants fits the reversed hem of arm sleeve, one of only three standing statues along Basin street, from end to end

3) Midsummers Day = June 24th = 6/24. 6/24 is a ratio of 1/4 or one-quarter. The estimation of distance shows that 19 paces is the distance from Morazan's base to the intersection perpendictular to the line with Weeping statue. Turn 90 degrees, like the knight chess piece and walk a quarter of that distance further.

I have two dig spots to consider. The meaning of "In the middle of 21" is still something of a mystery to me.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Tony Homo was right all along, never saw it coming.

Stupid, STUPID...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Urban Smurf posted:

this post fuckin owns

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

this post fuckin owns

Urban Smurf quality posting since 2013.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Hold it. My assumption that Basin St. is related to the No.12 tomb looks wrong. As I continue to question each of my geometric asseritions, I find that the only constraints should be purely as constructed by the image,

Clock:
1) Something is important at 12 o'clock (long and short clockhands)
2) Something is important at just before 3 o'clock (the small seconds hand)
3) Something is important at just past 9 o'clock (the flying man's hand)

France:
1) King Louis XII = Tomb No. 12 (although it's Italian...)
2) Francisco Morazan = (FRANCE-isco), dedicated Oct 21st, 1966 (although he's Honduran...)
3) Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua = Franciscan building, dedicated Oct 21st, 1827 (although he's Portuguese...)

When I scale and rotate the map I find there is the possibility of a major congruence,

Here's the streetview taken about midway on the line where we connect the circular plaque of Morazan to the circular window on the top of the Alamo-like facade of the church building,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 16, 2016

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
We should just go to OBX with a crew and look. That's the one that's closest to being solved

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
"Closest"

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

swims posted:

"Closest"

....indeed.

I mean we know where it is it's just private/federal land.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

AcidRonin posted:

....indeed.

I mean we know where it is it's just private/federal land.

Just sneak in and quietly do the deed, you'll be in and out in 5 minutes and how could you fail with Urban Smurf's detailed maps to guide you :downs:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Ser Pounce posted:

Just sneak in and quietly do the deed, you'll be in and out in 5 minutes and how could you fail with Urban Smurf's detailed maps to guide you :downs:

I have nothing to do with OBX. I think that casque is beyond recovery.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Been studying Fenn's treasure (5 years ago an old dude dropped a chest worth over $1,000,000 in the Rocky Mountains)

I think people are getting relatively close. Here's a post which seems to narrow it down to a small area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGold/comments/34bgi6/think_ive_solved_a_fair_bit_of_the_puzzle/

It has the warm waters halting, the canyon down, and I think it's the only not-crappy solution to "House of Brown" (there's a ranger station there that used to be the home of a guy named brown)
Now it seems that people just need to go up the right creek the right distance and find the blaze (probably a marked tree) and they're right near it. Still not easy in the wilderness of the Rockies, but considering there ewas a longstanding rumor that Fenn stayed in the town nearest to this right about when he was supposed to be hiding the treasure, I'd give this a solid bet, unlike every other "solution" I've heard (the best was a woman who claimed the solution was a giant Jesus statue and the treasure was actually spiritual fulfillment.)

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Hey Xie. You gonna dig you idiot.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

Hey Xie. You gonna dig you idiot.
You know the answer to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
So cask 2 is past the ferry terminal, because the gemstone is just beyond the fairy, right?