Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
revolther
May 27, 2008

raditts posted:

I feel like The Nightly Show has hit a new low when they bring on a guy from Worldstar Fight Videos for the panel as though he's worth listening to.
Ariana Huffington has valid opinions though rite? He's a successful internet entrepreneur, just like Mark Cuban, with equally informed opinions if not more so because his life isn't spent in a white bubble calling Donald Trump a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

revolther posted:

Ariana Huffington has valid opinions though rite?

...no?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

I feel like The Nightly Show has hit a new low when they bring on a guy from Worldstar Fight Videos for the panel as though he's worth listening to.
I have been kinda meaning to start getting into Larry WIlmore because I remember him being pretty funny, but the last time I heard "Worldstar" mentioned anywhere outside of my teenage nephews' facebook video posts, was some hick on a podcast using worldstar hiphop as an example of why we need armed police in schools. The worldstar guy acted like a total dirtbag during the interview, it was like watching a softball interview with donald trump where nobody bothers to call him out at the time that he ctually says something really gross - oh wait

Pretty sure Ariana Huffington has never bragged about how many different continents send her beheading videos that she turns down - while she's got a big poo poo-eating grin on her face.

The family packing guns on the xmas cards was a cute outside, but honestly it would've been a better punchline with "every person in that picture is holding at least $500, why not just friend this idiot on facebook and rob her home when she takes her family on their WELL ADVERTISED ANNUAL FAMILY UPPER/MIDDLE-CLASS HOLIDAAYYY!!!!"

revolther
May 27, 2008
A black man smiling on TV, total dirtbag.

Laughing at the ludicrous thought that people submit such graphic gore to a humorous culture site obviously not getting it, was bragging about beheading videos?

A funnier joke would have been proposing the home invasion/robbery of an elected official?

Some of you clearly have preestablished, middle America expectations of how black folks should act that you can't shake to enjoy the Nightly Show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What the gently caress are you even babbling about at this point

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So that segment on getting a hidden carry license was interesting.

On the one hand the NRA guy seemed keen to stress that were general responsibilities that should be kept in mind when handling a firearm...

But good god is it really just that easy to get a license? Did Klepper even have to pay for that, because I've spent a minimum of £85 (more due to retakes) trying to get my driving license - and any lethal incidents with the article involved would be hopefully be unintentional (and non-existent).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Astro Nut posted:

On the one hand the NRA guy seemed keen to stress that were general responsibilities that should be kept in mind when handling a firearm...

But good god is it really just that easy to get a license? Did Klepper even have to pay for that, because I've spent a minimum of £85 (more due to retakes) trying to get my driving license - and any lethal incidents with the article involved would be hopefully be unintentional (and non-existent).
In my state you have to pass a test, you can even go online and spend like $39.99 to get a study guide and then take the test online for free (open book, assumedly). Once you complete one of the online tests most of the sites claim that you'll have your license sent out within 24 hours of passing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Astro Nut posted:

"Yes but unlike guns a driver's license is not a GUARANTEED RIGHT IN THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION so therefore any regulation is unconstitutional and people should have unfettered access to firearms (despite the fact that many regulations and restrictions are already in place and have been for decades)"

- the usual retardo argument I hear in response to :iiaca: for guns

These "good guy with a gun" advocates I think are just wannabe heroes who think they'll totally be the one to quickdraw and save the day when some wacko starts shooting things up, when in reality they're more likely to end up like Klepper did in that segment. Everyone has a plan until they get punched shot in the face.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 11, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The good guy with a gun more often than not looks like a psychopath with a gun.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/michigan-woman-pouts-after-losing-gun-permit-for-shooting-at-shoplifters-i-will-never-help-anybody-again/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I think it's a symptom of inherent privilege where one can begin to buy in to power fantasies that other groups with less privilege would generally never assume they could get away with. The privileged group feels that - if they were armed and equipped and present at the time - that they would have done something different/better than what truly occurred.

You see it displayed with "well that guy/girl/kid should've just done what the officer ordered" comments from people who've never had a cop shout conflicting orders at them while they're scared and pumped full of adrenaline. You see it from people in high office who drop bombs about how blacks ought to go to "easier" colleges (and thus insinuating that the non-blacks who go to the moire prestigious schools are inherently superior, smarter, etc). The GGWAG thing is just another form of that, where the individual believes that they would have the awareness, reflexes, and luck to save the day and invite everybody over to their handjob condo for drinks - they just don't really understand that the main reason they hold that belief, is because it's never been tested.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zero One posted:

A little towel to protect my dick and balls.

This was pretty much the greatest line in the whole show. Something about the way he said it just made me bust out laughing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think of all the issues with good guys with guns, the idea that the police aren't going to shoot you when you're running around with a gun at a crime scene is the most perplexing. Well obviously the cops aren't going to shoot me when I save my office from a shooter with my trusty glock. Why would I have to worry about that? No one ever tries to shoot John McClane after he saves the day. Well, no good guys anyway.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe Spoiled White Girl was an easy target, but I enjoyed Larry ripping her.

I typically find myself defending younger people, but here's the entitled young brat that's okay to mock I've been waiting for.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
:lol: at this Jordan Klepper gun segment from last night.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Michael Straham and Noah seemed to get along really well and now I want to watch a buddy cop movie starring them.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

swickles posted:

Michael Straham and Noah seemed to get along really well and now I want to watch a buddy cop movie starring them.

Yeah I really like Strahan, even as a Cowboys fan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

I think of all the issues with good guys with guns, the idea that the police aren't going to shoot you when you're running around with a gun at a crime scene is the most perplexing. Well obviously the cops aren't going to shoot me when I save my office from a shooter with my trusty glock. Why would I have to worry about that? No one ever tries to shoot John McClane after he saves the day. Well, no good guys anyway.
Yeah, Klepper's segment was great for showing what a terrible idea the whole thing is. For all his (hilarious) buffoonery, you could totally see why he shot that person running at him down the hallway, and you can totally see why the police shot him instantly, even though he wasn't being especially provocative. It was a good mix of "oh god this is terrible," and "welp, that makes sense."

It was a good intuitive rebuke to the intuitive notion that armed bystanders can stop these kinds of things- countering a gut feeling with a gut understanding of the realities.

And the whole thing was hilarious. Loved the little towel line. Klepper is a fantastic corespondent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment, but I hate how the "good guy with a gun" people try to defend it. Although I'm a Vet so my concepts might be a little skewed? My stance is shared by all of my gun owning friends. And that is that:

During an attack, help others escape. You are there in a defensive capacity. If you can't escape find a defensible location and hunker down until SWAT arrives and clears. Your job is to protect people, not to go rainbow six on terrorists with assault rifles.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Decided to give the Nightly Show another shot, but Larry's delivery still seems to be incredibly awkward. I'll work my way through the rest of this week's shows, but that "Spit-Take" soda bit was amazingly unfunny with the audience barely even reacting. And Jesus Christ, Ricky Velez...

/edit:
Mike Yard I can still get behind

Okay, the "gently caress Trump" bit was actually pretty funny and on point.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 12, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment, but I hate how the "good guy with a gun" people try to defend it. Although I'm a Vet so my concepts might be a little skewed? My stance is shared by all of my gun owning friends. And that is that:

During an attack, help others escape. You are there in a defensive capacity. If you can't escape find a defensible location and hunker down until SWAT arrives and clears. Your job is to protect people, not to go rainbow six on terrorists with assault rifles.

In an active shooter situation you should run, hide, and fight back. In that order. Run if you can, hide if you can't, and if you can't do either go for the Hail Mary and attack with whatever you've got. When you consider you're dealing with a hosed up individual who may or may not be using some sort of explosives and is likely sporting heavier weaponry than you, it makes sense not to try and Modern Warfare up your office. Especially since if you're shooting, cubicles and office walls provide very little stopping power from stray bullets for your terrified coworkers desperately hiding under their desk.

I mean, I guess if you're an off duty SWAT guy who just happens to be stopping by to drop off lunch to your partner while on break from teaching an active shooter strategies class, go hog wild and see if you can't teabag the rear end in a top hat after you get him with a knife attack.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Decided to give the Nightly Show another shot, but Larry's delivery still seems to be incredibly awkward. I'll work my way through the rest of this week's shows, but that "Spit-Take" soda bit was amazingly unfunny with the audience barely even reacting. And Jesus Christ, Ricky Velez...

/edit:
Mike Yard I can still get behind

Okay, the "gently caress Trump" bit was actually pretty funny and on point.

The Spit-take soda bit, it was really telegraphed that he wouldn't spit it, but all he had to say was *mmm that's good soda* he didn't need to spend half a minute explaining why the joke was supposed to be funny because of not spitting the spit take soda.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

swickles posted:

Michael Strahan was such an easygoing and charismatic guy that during that segment I seriously considered checking out his show. Then I remembered it was just a morning show.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

coyo7e posted:

Michael Strahan was such an easygoing and charismatic guy that during that segment I seriously considered checking out his show. Then I remembered it was just a morning show.

I didnt know he was with kelly ripa now but he's a really good choice. I thought he was just going to be doing nfl broadcasting for the rest of his life, congrats to him for breaking out like that.

John Stewart said somewhere that the Daily Show has the shortest interviews on TV, so it's tough to get the guest on and get to where you want to talk about in the time you have. Noah seems to have gotten to the point where he's comfortable with it now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment, but I hate how the "good guy with a gun" people try to defend it.

Well the thing is, a lot of the time, what the GGWAG crowd are spouting isn't really defending the right to have a gun, which is what the 2nd Amendment largely concerns, and are instead advocating for the active possession of a gun, often at all times. Not that you can, but that you should.

Also a point I realised today - whilst its technically true that a GGWAG is probably the most effective response to an active shooter, the GGWAGs tend to be the police.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Astro Nut posted:

Also a point I realised today - whilst its technically true that a GGWAG is probably the most effective response to an active shooter, the GGWAGs tend to be the police.

Yeah, there's where I thought Klepper was going with his segment at the end, actually.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I too have long felt "well if you really do feel like you need a gun because you hunt or there's a lot of crime where you live", etc. But now for the NRA crowd it's not just that they have the right to have a gun but that everyone should have guns at all times.

The guys who march around with rifles and semi-autos are advocates for the second amendment in the same way that someone who walks around shouting obscenities at everyone is an advocate for the first.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, well put. My mother in law's ex husband specifically bought his first gun after one of these mass shootings in the past few years. But he doesn't hunt or even desire to carry it on his person as far as I can tell. He just wants it to have it I guess :psyduck:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I heard the Zadroga bill got filibustered into failure. Everything is the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

You're a vet, so presumably you've been in a situation where you had a good chance of actually being shot at, which puts you more in touch with reality than Jimmy "Open Carry" Jackass who's never been in a dangerous situation in his life.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

I heard the Zadroga bill got filibustered into failure. Everything is the worst.

Is that new more current than this?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/12/peter-king-zadroga-act-permanent-funding/

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Obviously a gun is not the solution to every crime. Hell, it's a poor solution most of the time. And even though I have a concealed carry license, I loving cringe when I hear NRA types answer these tragedies with, "If only someone had been armed..." That's foolish. There is no way of knowing whether it would have made any difference, positive or negative. And in many of these situations, the circumstances are so stacked against the "good" guy that it's laughable to consider.

But on the other end of the spectrum is the notion that armed regular people are worthless and never manage to do anything. Regular people with guns defend themselves all the time. It drat near never makes national news, but it happens a lot. Sometimes it even happens when the odds are ridiculously against the victim. One that happened near where I live recently involved a father gassing up his car when he was approached by two carjackers. They already had their guns on him when he told them that he couldn't give them his car because his infant son was in the back seat. They didn't back down, so, despite the fact that his gun was in the center console, he calculated that letting his son remain in the car when they took off was worse than trying to fight. He managed to get back into the car, get the gun, and shoot one of the attackers; the other ran away.

Here is a Washington Post article listing mass shootings and possible* mass shootings that have been stopped by regular people:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

*Of course, it's hard to prove a negative. We can't be certain that the criminals in these cases were going to kill more people had they not been shot or if they would have coincidentally quit shooting at exactly the same moment that they were stopped.

So yeah, it is stupid and ignorant and presumptuous to assume that a concealed carrier would have been the solution to these horrible events. But it is also stupid and ignorant and presumptuous to assume that there is no way one might have helped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last I read/heard it everyone's claiming the Zadroga Act will be included in the Omnibus bill that they all say they'll pass next week, but Zadroga advocates are worried that the Republicans are trying to rewrite things including the name of it and they don't know why, the Democrats were trying to sneak in something I forgot, and a there's still some whispers that the Republicans will hold up all the proceedings over the "defund Planned Parenthood" thing. So you know, politics can kill anything.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Why are politics so god drat political :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So yeah, it is stupid and ignorant and presumptuous to assume that a concealed carrier would have been the solution to these horrible events. But it is also stupid and ignorant and presumptuous to assume that there is no way one might have helped.

It's even more stupid and ignorant, and also dangerous, to expect any given person to be a de facto police officer and just hand out guns like it's the wicky-wicky-wild-wild-west because you want people to believe that to do otherwise violates the second amendment.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

When he panned over to the table down 3 guys it was a real gut punch. Someone should kick Mitch McConnel in the dick until he passes out.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

raditts posted:

It's even more stupid and ignorant, and also dangerous, to expect any given person to be a de facto police officer and just hand out guns like it's the wicky-wicky-wild-wild-west because you want people to believe that to do otherwise violates the second amendment.

I agree that it's also stupid but I don't know of anyone who wants to base policy on handing out guns and people being vigilantes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I agree that it's also stupid but I don't know of anyone who wants to base policy on handing out guns and people being vigilantes.

http://www.nra.org

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I guess not, as I was going off of this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

In an active shooter situation you should run, hide, and fight back. In that order. Run if you can, hide if you can't, and if you can't do either go for the Hail Mary and attack with whatever you've got. When you consider you're dealing with a hosed up individual who may or may not be using some sort of explosives and is likely sporting heavier weaponry than you, it makes sense not to try and Modern Warfare up your office. Especially since if you're shooting, cubicles and office walls provide very little stopping power from stray bullets for your terrified coworkers desperately hiding under their desk.

I mean, I guess if you're an off duty SWAT guy who just happens to be stopping by to drop off lunch to your partner while on break from teaching an active shooter strategies class, go hog wild and see if you can't teabag the rear end in a top hat after you get him with a knife attack.

I work in a college and this year we were given a brief seminar/workshop on what to do if there was an active shooter situation and it all seemed pretty bleak. Pretty much what the guy told us was that if we were outdoors when it is announced that there is an active shooter situation we must run away from the college as soon as possible and under no circumstances enter any building. If we are indoors during such a situation we must find a room and lock/barricade it as soon as possible. The room must remained locked and barricaded until emergency crews arrive and deliver an all clear. All this sounds logical and rational and such, but the downer part of it was that once you are in the room you must not open it up for anyone, even co-workers. It goes under the assumption that the shooter might pose as someone trying to hide to gain entry to a locked room. Again, all very practical but the idea that people are outside running for the lives trying to get into locked rooms where there might be just one person holed up in seems terrifying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Madkal posted:

I work in a college and this year we were given a brief seminar/workshop on what to do if there was an active shooter situation and it all seemed pretty bleak. Pretty much what the guy told us was that if we were outdoors when it is announced that there is an active shooter situation we must run away from the college as soon as possible and under no circumstances enter any building. If we are indoors during such a situation we must find a room and lock/barricade it as soon as possible. The room must remained locked and barricaded until emergency crews arrive and deliver an all clear. All this sounds logical and rational and such, but the downer part of it was that once you are in the room you must not open it up for anyone, even co-workers. It goes under the assumption that the shooter might pose as someone trying to hide to gain entry to a locked room. Again, all very practical but the idea that people are outside running for the lives trying to get into locked rooms where there might be just one person holed up in seems terrifying to me.

Watching Klepper's segment again.

Yeah.

• Locked thread