Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flavor Truck posted:

Do you have to thin it at all? Second coat? How well does it cover larger, smooth surfaces?

I didnt thin it at all and it went on great. This was for my Infinity squad so a ton of little details. It gets into cracks well but has no issues with smooth surfaces. I gave some of the larger areas second coats but one appears to be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Flavor Truck posted:

Do you have to thin it at all? Second coat? How well does it cover larger, smooth surfaces?

No. No. Very well.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

No. No. Very well.

It is incredible.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

It is incredible.

I moved to it a few years back. It gets even better when you shoot it through an airbrush.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

I moved to it a few years back. It gets even better when you shoot it through an airbrush.

VSP is my favorite primer now, especially when airbrushing. If you get their black, grey and white primers and an airbrush setup, you can also do zenithal priming, which is a great way to pre-shade your minis before you put any paint on them. (One of us has a zenithal priming tutorial around here but of course I'm on my phone and can't find it :( )

e: It's BULBASAUR's tutorial!

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 9, 2015

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Star Man posted:

Get yourself a 200 ml bottle of Vallejo surface primer and brush that poo poo on. It's slow compared to spraying on the primer, but at least you can do it inside the house without worrying about fumes.

I think i had a bottle of this... and it went on great... but on metal models it found it had a tendency to come off in a layer when rubbed to hard... was i doing something wrong? I had no problems on plastic models although it did not seem to get as good coverage.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

I think i had a bottle of this... and it went on great... but on metal models it found it had a tendency to come off in a layer when rubbed to hard... was i doing something wrong? I had no problems on plastic models although it did not seem to get as good coverage.

I didn't have that issue with metal models, but you can probably make it better if you attach your minis to something that allows you to hold it without touching the actual mini.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Turns out the vent had nothing to do with it. I just let the table get really dusty. On the plus side I got a box of older chaos space marines on sale and they're still well sculpted even by modern standards. Nice clean sculpts without a bunch of needless detail.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Indolent Bastard posted:

I didn't have that issue with metal models, but you can probably make it better if you attach your minis to something that allows you to hold it without touching the actual mini.

My issue was that even after i had finished painting the models and varnished them, occasionally sections of paint would just peel off...

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Pash posted:

Primer is always gonna have trouble with metal models, but I've had much better results letting the surface primer cure for 24 hours.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

My issue was that even after i had finished painting the models and varnished them, occasionally sections of paint would just peel off...

That sounds like you need to degrease your minis prior to to priming. Other than that I have no idea. I have (luckily) never had that issue.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Yeah, scrub all minis especially after you've had your greasy goon fingers all over them

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been using Vallejo surface primer only because I don't have anywhere to spray a canned primer. The house I rent a room in has a tiny rear end garage that is filled up with a single car and we don't have a basement. It's also why I can't consider getting into airbrushing. Thus, paint-on primer it is.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Flavor Truck posted:

To revisit the topic of agitators inside of your paint bottles, I found a discussion on CMON where a bunch of nerds were arguing about which metals and materials were causing their paints to discolor. The consensus is that tiny ceramic "baking beans" are the best option as they cannot corrode.

I use 8mm hematite beads, since they're very dense and already "corroded" (it's iron oxide). I've had no problems. However, I ruined a handful of paints when I tried using BBs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

The Loctite glue bottles with the little fingertip buttons on the sides are the best bottles I've ever used. Conical-shape bottles so they don't fall over easily and the top screws into place. They'll be the only bottles I every buy from now on. The generic BSI glues on their own are fine but it's the bottle that makes the big difference to me.

I swear by Loctits Gel, but here's a pro tip- open the dumb container and throw it away. If you think it's empty when you squeeze the sides, think again. It's only half empty. The way they designed the side grips you end up throwing away about 1/3 of your glue unless you remove it from the housing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I swear by Zap-a-Gap. There's yet to be a gap that I have not sufficiently zapped with it.

SRM fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I swear by Zap-a-Gap. There's yet to be a gap that I have not sufficiently zapped with it.

Too bad it smells worse than Nurgle's rear end in a top hat.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

More WIP on the Kingdom Death Phoenix. Washes and shades applied to wings and flesh, work on the beak, and then dry brushing on the wings.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Mostly finished my Meat Thresher tonight. Need to add some static grass to the base, but my dull coat ran out. :(
Is it better to dull coat before, or after placing static grass. I usually do it before, but was never really too sure. Anyways...

Sorry for crappy cell phone pictures.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I have some trolls I never painted, so I'm taking a crack at red skin because why not.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

Too bad it smells worse than Nurgle's rear end in a top hat.

You're thinking of zip kicker or whatever glue-accelerating sprays are out there. Those smell like portapotty and one of my friends in highschool sprayed it in his mouth on a dare. I don't envy him. Zap a Gap is just superglue that does the job really well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That hat-trick of nicely painted WIPs was very pleasant to scroll through.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Had a bit more progress before I had to go to work. I can't remember the last time I woke up and instantly started painting.

Is it me or is Imgur's new layout poo poo, because you used to be able to click what size thumbnail you want instead of just the original size of the file to avoid breaking tables.

That or I just can't figure out how to do it now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it me or is Imgur's new layout poo poo, because you used to be able to click what size thumbnail you want instead of just the original size of the file to avoid breaking tables.

That or I just can't figure out how to do it now.
Both :v: Imgur's shittier but you can do thumbnails easily by adding s/m/l to the hosted filename, like so:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Go nuts with 2048 or whatever, and use timg. That's what it's for.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Anyone know where this model is from?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone know where this model is from?

Its a Kabuki models Corax I think. Doesn't seem to be available anymore.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Thanks.

More WIP
More shades, some highlights, and generally getting it closer to being complete.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

serious gaylord posted:

Its a Kabuki models Corax I think. Doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Balls. Thanks anyways.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have a strange request. I'm making a goal token for my Brewers Guild Ball team and I'm looking for something I can use that will look like a still. I think I can fake up the coil bit with either paper clip wire or some other wire I have around, but I need something that will work for the big metal vessel.

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of - the problematic part is pretty much dead centre here.

The whole shebang needs to fit on a 50mm base.

All ideas gratefully received.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Maybe? http://www.hobbylinc.com/american-heritage-milk-can-set-3-o-scale-model-railroad-building-accessory-43911

Or if you're nuts:
http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Boilers-1.html

The upshot to that is that you'd actually be able to brew in it, I think.

Small batch, obviously.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Oooh those milk cans might be exactly what I need, thank you!

I'm not quite crazy enough to build a tiny little working still.

Yet.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Crossposting from the 40k thread. This is my Space Marines, Skitarii, Cult Mech converted into Skaven army.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 11, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

dr_ether posted:

Thanks.

More WIP
More shades, some highlights, and generally getting it closer to being complete.

Oddly enough, one in ten Hobbits/Dwarves rescued by Giant Eagles fail to reach their destination. The cause of this is still a mistery.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Test is done. Only change I think I'll make is washing the swords black instead of brown. Maybe add some other effects on the beasts like glowing eyes and stuff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That looks really really good, and the basing is just the right amount of busy but no distracting from the model. I think the brown was works well if you want an aged look for your metal, though I'd have added some lighter silver to the edges perhaps to show some wear/chipping.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Thanks! I think that's something I'll definitely try.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Some more work on the Ghostkeel tonight. corrected the OSL and went back to my more grimy looking roots.

The pictures are not great due to lighting, will try to take some better ones in day light tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I've finished the weapons on both arms and finalised the weathering on the main model.

I only really have the head to add now but I am stuck as to what colours to do it? Anyone here have any ideas how to finish this thing off?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Like the sides of the backpack. Magenta glowing lenses with OSL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Just leave Saitama's face on there, it's perfect as-is.