Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the delorean looked cool but the engineering was absolute trash, it was about as credible a sports car as those screaming chicken firebirds from the '70s

which is to say it looked awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
as someone who came of age in the 80s, i can confirm that deloreans were A Thing long before bttf. everyone knew the dude with the delorean got the girl with the largest shoulder pads

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kalstrams posted:

oh, it precedes the movie?

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how does it feel to be old

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm a millennial.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm a millennial.
:gonk:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
aren't deloreans like a pain in the rear end to maintain, and super expensive to find parts for?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

how does it feel to be old

it sucks in many ways, but there are other ways where it's quite nice. i don't need to care about my social media brand presence, for example. and i don't have to worry about what pretty girls think, because they're definitely not going to be into me now :D

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

it sucks in many ways, but there are other ways where it's quite nice. i don't need to care about my social media brand presence, for example. and i don't have to worry about what pretty girls think, because they're definitely not going to be into me now :D
eh i was more of just being faux-mad at loling my knowledge of vitange americars

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

eh i was more of being faux-mad at loling my knowledge of vitange americars

i know; i was taking a facetious question seriously as kind of an inverted joke :shobon:

also, i had been thinking about the benefits of being old earlier in the day. or maybe it was earlier in the week. clearly, my memory isn't improving with age :corsair:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

i know; i was taking a facetious question seriously as kind of an inverted joke :shobon:

also, i had been thinking about the benefits of being old earlier in the day. or maybe it was earlier in the week. clearly, my memory isn't improving with age :corsair:
i'll tell you one good benefit i wouldn't mind rn, money

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

aren't deloreans like a pain in the rear end to maintain, and super expensive to find parts for?

yeah, a friend of mine has one, it's in hans reiser mode with the space where the passenger seat should be full of random a/c system parts

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm a millennial.

i'm an orgasmic phallus disguised as a dumb southerner in the navy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:cool:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Space-Pope posted:

Nope, they use parts that are commonly used in other European cars, and there is a place in Texas who brought all the moulds and panel stamping equipment from Delorean so they can even build new cars.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space-Pope posted:

the engine was a joint venture between peugot, renault, and volvo

how do you imagine that panned out?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i still would love to own a delorean.

you know, so long as it was modded with some manner of modern engine and transmissions and all the rest so that it would be worth driving.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

fishmech posted:

you know, so long as it was modded with some manner of modern engine and transmissions and all the rest so that it would be worth driving.

anyone can own a delorian like this it's called the power of imaginaaaaaaaation

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
a delorean with a lexus v8 or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, a friend of mine has one, it's in hans reiser mode with the space where the passenger seat should be full of random a/c system parts

You Am I posted:

Nope, they use parts that are commonly used in other European cars, and there is a place in Texas who brought all the moulds and panel stamping equipment from Delorean so they can even build new cars.
well now im just getting mixed signals, here

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/9/9881814/project-phoenix-delayed-2018-kickstarter lol

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If they raised 1 mil from KS in 2013 I'm frankly amazed there's any left at all to hire a full time software guy to ~make it happen~ (albeit not till 2018)

Unless there isn't and it's like a dude fresh out of school who don't know any better than to agree to make a doomed game for royalties or some poo poo

Idk i didn't read past the first para

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Space-Pope posted:

This video will show some light, parts are not an issue for the DeLorean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-_s-8DE0s

And with 3D printing becoming more popular, as long as you someone who has the original part, you can get someone to print up a replacement part

http://www.delorean.com

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

You Am I posted:

And with 3D printing becoming more popular, as long as you someone who has the original part, you can get someone to print up a replacement part
:raise:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's useful for interior parts and some plastic bits used in the engine bay

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the engine is low-stressed enough that you can just use cast parts for replacements, and you can 3d-print the cores for the moulds. at least that's my guess, i know that's how it works with classic bikes

also the 3d printer boom has made 3- and 6-axis mills a lot cheaper for components that need to be stronger than cast

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought maintenence would be a total pain but when I found out I could cast or even mill my own parts I was like SO relieved

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space-Pope posted:

it's exactly as reliable and cheap to maintain as other 1980s european cars. for instance, an early 80s s-class with jetronic fuel injection and air-powered central locking.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
am i crazy or aren't there situations where you can't get out of the car in like tight parking spaces

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

am i crazy or aren't there situations where you can't get out of the car in like tight parking spaces

bo & luke duke aint fittin thru them windows

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

theflyingorc posted:

well yeah but that happens with regular doors too.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fishmech posted:

well yeah but that happens with regular doors too.
i would imagine that they require a comparable amount of space but with regular doors you can at least squeeze in if some rear end in a top hat decided to park right up next to you, with a delorean you're forced to climb in through the other side because there's no getting in through the bottom of a barely open gullwing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i would imagine that they require a comparable amount of space

most people imagine that but it's not true

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CLvA7Y5law

hinge is almost on the centerline of the car so they swing up more than out, looks superior to normal doors for getting in or out in a tight spot imo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BobHoward posted:

most people imagine that but it's not true

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CLvA7Y5law

hinge is almost on the centerline of the car so they swing up more than out, looks superior to normal doors for getting in or out in a tight spot imo
i actually imagined that first but figured i was giving it too much credit just because it looked cool, glad to know that this is actually the case

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, that's neat as hell. Seeing is believing.

10 inches from the other vehicle and no problemo

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blVR0VmdqM4

how come no miata fags have done this yet

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mountaineer/squeezers?ref=category

quote:

Hello, my name is John Barber and I have invented Squeezers. They were designed after squeezing a pimple. Squeezers have a thin rubber coating on the tips to protect the skin and produce "flat pressure"which is the correct way to deal with acne manually.My invention has been viewed and approved but moving forward has been my biggest challenge due to the fees required. All funds will go to licensing and marketing Squeezers

im the hardware category

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mister Sinewave posted:

I thought maintenence would be a total pain but when I found out I could cast or even mill my own parts I was like SO relieved

well no the point is that there are loads of enthusiasts churning out stuff now rather than spending months ringing every breakers yard in the world on the off-chance you might be able to find the exact right part, or paying thousands for an engineering shop to fabricate a part from scratch for you

also don't pretend like you wouldn't have a six-axis mill if you had the space and money for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
he invented a comedone extractor and he also owns roadrunner.com, he's going to make millions

• Locked thread