Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

Man, whatever budget constraints SHIELD is under were painfully apparent tonight. Barely saw any of the Secret Warriors in action and the one big fight scene was completely off-screen.

I still like the show, but I'm waiting for it to prove that it didn't peak creatively a year ago, and when Flash and Supergirl can deliver multiple FX-heavy action sequences every week, it just feels cheap in comparison.

Creatively the midseason finale of Shield was great unless your definition of creative is FX effects. Shield blew away the Flash wet fart of a midseason finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was quite alright tonight. Is the sentient death juice alien an original character?

Someone in the TVIV thread suggested he's Hive from Secret Warriors and that makes a ton of sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Which fight scene? Lash killing a bunch of dudes?

Mockingbird taking out 12 soldiers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Hey everyone, let's discuss what the worst episode of Smallville is.

I nominate the one where a guy helps kill his mother who's dying from horrible cancer after she begs him to, and then he gets magic kryptonite hands that turn people into ashes and becomes obsessed with "ending the pain" of every elderly person he sees. Then at the end of the episode it turns out his mother is fine and not that much in pain he was just a crazy rear end in a top hat and assisted suicide is wrong 100% of the time with no grey area!

The one where a bunch of horny witches possess Chloe, Lana and Lois and turn the Kent barn into a sorority party.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Mockingbird taking out 12 soldiers.

Oh yeah. To be honest I didn't even think about it because of it being played for comedy that she can just take out a dozen guys no problem. But that's definitely at least partially due to budget. Although this episode has some pretty sweet effects, the melting bullets, the guy being immolated in slow mo, the plane docking and exploding castle.

We've just reached a point where fight scenes with complicated choreography are probably actually more expensive than sweet fx shots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was expecting the joke to be Mack looking at the tablet to see her dropping them, I'm surprised they didn't do that after they had the little setup with Hunter's wave.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mikeraskol posted:

Creatively the midseason finale of Shield was great unless your definition of creative is FX effects. Shield blew away the Flash wet fart of a midseason finale.

I don't think I've seen an episode of SHIELD where so many of the most potentially visually interesting moments - Mockingbird's fight scene, Lash's rampage, the Secret Warriors in action, the final escape through the portal - took place entirely or mostly off-screen.

It just felt cheap, even by the stylistic standards of a show that's rarely been flattered by a comparison to the Arrowverse or Netflix series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We've seen Mockingbird beat up tons of mooks before, and Lash killed people in stasis. It was more effective for both to be shown in different ways, one played for comedy and the other as a reveal to May that Lash/Andrew is too far gone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night Flash brushed Wally West. What's that name again? Wally West. Who's that kid? Wally West

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

We've seen Mockingbird beat up tons of mooks before, and Lash killed people in stasis. It was more effective for both to be shown in different ways, one played for comedy and the other as a reveal to May that Lash/Andrew is too far gone.

I would be fine with both those decisions if the episode had delivered something in the way of a proper action scene. But it really didn't.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Madkal posted:

Last night Flash brushed Wally West. What's that name again? Wally West. Who's that kid? Wally West

His name is Wally, Wally West.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find the the idea of Bobbi Morse taking out a dozen goons something perfectly reasonable and realistic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kind of annoyed this episode of Flash didn't have him run to every kids house looking for the bombs like a super hero Santa. As soon as the bombs were introduced, my roommate and I simultaneously came to that conclusion.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is there an episode of Agents of SHIELD where they mention having super Kree batteries in their iPhones or something? Currently watching S03E05.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chill Penguin posted:

Is there an episode of Agents of SHIELD where they mention having super Kree batteries in their iPhones or something? Currently watching S03E05.

She mentions later that Fitz modified it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can buy aliens, super powered super soldiers, a gamma ray infused monster, but it just crosses the line and I can only suspend my disbelief so much when a scene begins with someone rolling out of bed to answer a phone and seeing it not charging.

That's why I love Jessica Jones. A gritty, dark superhero who's phone dies repeatedly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mark Dacascos! Okay Agents of SHIELD, you're alright in my book.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Mark Dacascos! Okay Agents of SHIELD, you're alright in my book.

The secret ingredient is fish oil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

The secret ingredient is fish oil.

Previous statement retracted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Medullah posted:

I can buy aliens, super powered super soldiers, a gamma ray infused monster, but it just crosses the line and I can only suspend my disbelief so much when a scene begins with someone rolling out of bed to answer a phone and seeing it not charging.

That's why I love Jessica Jones. A gritty, dark superhero who's phone dies repeatedly.

I find such things just as jarring (I have a bad habit of counting bullets, it never ends well.) but at the same time it's fascinating to look at where the line is. Suspension of disbelief has its own uncanny valley. Someone over on TVIV pointed out that nobody ever says "goodbye" in phone conversations and I just KNOW that's gonna bug me now too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

I find such things just as jarring (I have a bad habit of counting bullets, it never ends well.) but at the same time it's fascinating to look at where the line is. Suspension of disbelief has its own uncanny valley. Someone over on TVIV pointed out that nobody ever says "goodbye" in phone conversations and I just KNOW that's gonna bug me now too.

The best thing about cellphones is now everyone says "call me at this number" in movies and tv instead of reciting a bullshit 555 number when they're holding someones family hostage or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Arrow Spoilers

If Felicity is seriously dead I'm going to lose my loving poo poo

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

The best thing about cellphones is now everyone says "call me at this number" in movies and tv instead of reciting a bullshit 555 number when they're holding someones family hostage or whatever.

In the recent years writers also finally managed to incooperate or account for cell phones/smartphones without always resorting into the "no signal" crop-out.

Skwirl posted:

Arrow Spoilers

If Felicity is seriously dead I'm going to lose my loving poo poo

Death is even more of a revolving door in this show than it is in regular Comic books

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 10, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was not that into this season of SHIELD mostly because the whole May/Blair Underwood plot was boring as hell, but these last few episodes were really good. It was weird that there were basically no action scenes in the final episode, but that seemed like a pacing thing more than a budget thing since everything moved so quickly. They introduced Bobbi's weird magnetic batons in the previous episode so they gotta have plans there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I don't really get what the batons can do that guns can't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're a bit less murderey.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
All I know is that in like 3 years there needs to be a Defenders/SHIELD crossover so we can get a magnetic baton battle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BrianWilly posted:

Then you sir, have never met JEAN DE BATON who fights evil with his batons along with the power of Frenchness.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

They can make cool BWANG and THUNK noises when you hit people with them.

Got around to the AoS ep last night, and I did like Coulson's "Of course. Tatooine."

I assume the budget was spent on having to create a fully destructible 3D castle set blown apart by missiles. The opening docking shot was very pretty, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 10, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, all caught up on AoS. Still a very subpar show but I guess it has it's pluses. Mack and Fitz are pretty great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So sub par you binged 50 episodes in a week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

So sub par you binged 50 episodes in a week.

But thanks to chromecasts and a tablet I cleaned my entire apartment, organized my garage, did tons of laundry, prepped tons of comics for ebay and exercised while watching.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

But thanks to chromecasts and a tablet I cleaned my entire apartment, organized my garage, did tons of laundry, prepped tons of comics for ebay and exercised while watching.

Thanks to the miracle of an apartment and at tv, when I binge tv, I drink.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thanks to the miracle of an apartment and at tv, when I binge tv, I drink.

I did some of that as well, season 1 was rough. I also reorganized my messy bookshelves and detolfs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Respect

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Screw AoS, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Supergirl, etc... Amazon has ordered a pilot to reboot one of the best live action superhero shows of all time!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/amazon-orders-pilot-superhero-cult-comedy-tick-20140902

ufarn
May 30, 2009
BEN loving EDLUND

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hell yeah. David Puddy owned that role.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
drat, I remember hearing about The Tick getting an Amazon treatment last year, but figured it had foundered. Best news ever.

And the worst episode of Smallville is the "Tremors versus the Illegal Aliens" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

That story is from 2014