Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Roluth posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Steampunk Rally? Looks like a pretty interesting time-waster at least.

It's a somewhat heavy game actually. And it's good. Drafting + engine building + resource management. Here are my intitial impressions

quote:

Steampunk Rally has a lot of meat to it. You draft cards that can be either machine parts or one time use abilities, or trash them for an immediate gain of two dice, place them in specific order to build your machine, roll and place dice in your machine slots to gain various resources or effects, spend some of those resources to gain other dice, move, gain shields, or remove placed dice (blowing off steam).

Then you have to balance all of that with how much damage the map is going to do on certain spaces. If you take damage at the end of a round, you lose a card from your machine, so one possible strategy is to load up a card with a bunch of dice to benefit with no intention of blowing off the steam and just sacrifice that card when you take damage. Or you can carefully build an efficient machine that easily removes and recycles dice while generating shields, etc. It's definitely not a light game. I'd say it's somewhere in the medium range mechanically and heavy strategically.

One really nice thing about the game is that everyone can do their movement phase at once, there's no need to go in turn because there's no real player interaction during the race portion.

After three plays it's a solid game with no real glaring issues. Everyone has enjoyed it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Kai Tave posted:

I can't say I really have any fond memories of the time we played Betrayal and because of a bunch of random chance the traitor/survivors steamrolled the other side.

My one time playing Betrayal left me feeling similarly. I ended up being the betrayer, and we got a Vampire scenario. One of the survivors had drawn about 3 items that were especially potent in this scenario, and there was almost no way I was going to defeat him. I killed the rest of the survivors, and he killed me, and that was that.

It didn't leave me hating the game or anything, but it definitely will never make my "buy" list, and having played it once, I'll probably not argue to play it again. It's a decent experience, but that's about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobvonunheil posted:

We haven't seen Cosmic Encounter on SUSD's top 50 yet, here's hoping they finally realised it's dogshit.

It's adorable how you think it won't be #1.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Big McHuge posted:

Actually according to the long-winded comment section of SU&SD, bad design is subjective and even if it wasn't it's a-ok as long as you have fun!

That tells you quite a lot about the SU&SD comment section and the value of its statements.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

After three plays it's a solid game with no real glaring issues. Everyone has enjoyed it a lot.

So nobody has ever played the card that adds one damage to every space without damage while they were in the lead?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

You know what? I can totally see the Pandemic: Legacy hype machine beating it. Not putting anything on the line, but they've been really loud about how it's supposed to be the cat's pajamas or whatever.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I take it Warhammer Diskwars is a legit good game?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yes. Just make sure you've got a big enough table.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Azran posted:

I take it Warhammer Diskwars is a legit good game?

It is good yes. If you want a table top fantasy war game and not have to invest in minis, terrain and paint, it's aces.

One core is a good start, a second core is often recommended, only one of each expansio is advised if you ever pick them up.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Do pick them up, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes. Just make sure you've got a big enough table.

What's this pansy-rear end recommendation? I was expecting a new edition of Tazo Libre 2015.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

What's this pansy-rear end recommendation? I was expecting a new edition of Tazo Libre 2015.

Well, I had a secret project of slapping together a lovely campaign overlay for tazo battles, assigning leaders to a risk-like map and unlocking new tazos and allies for them to lead in battles, but truth be told, it is not coming together very well.

also the World Wide Wrestling RPG stole a bit of that thunder

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Azran, here is scientific summary of Warhammer: Diskwars quality:

It was done by scientists and is therefore undeniably true.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Hmm i don't normally doubt science but shouldn't splendor have no bar at all since it's the baseline for this thread?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm playing CitOW tonight with 5 players. What were the arguments against using the new Upgrade and Old Words cards again?

Sloober posted:

Hmm i don't normally doubt science but shouldn't splendor have no bar at all since it's the baseline for this thread?

I assume it works the same way that 0 Celsius is the same as 30-something whatevers those barbarians on the other side of the ocean have.

EDIT: Also, I like the Age of Sigmar being lower than Talisman.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 11, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I assume it works the same way that 0 Celsius is the same as 30-something whatevers those barbarians on the other side of the ocean have.

Exactly, in this case fun degrees were converted to decasigmars. Sorry for forgetting to label the chart appropriately.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Exactly, in this case fun degrees were converted to decasigmars. Sorry for forgetting to label the chart appropriately.

Hmm.. I'll allow it for now but you'll never get into the GameScience journals with this kind of forgetfulness.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Picking up some boardgames to play with friends over the Christmas break. So far I've decided on Ticket to Ride, Small World, Race for the Galaxy, and King of New York.

Any recommendations (other than the ones listed in the OP, and a friend already has Catan)?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

It's number 2

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Cube this:

*backflips onto a fighter jet and flies away laughing*

What game is that?? :swoon:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

What game is that?? :swoon:

Engage & Destroy. The Brien Miller one, not the one that's on BBG. I think it's still under development at Compass Games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ijyt posted:

Picking up some boardgames to play with friends over the Christmas break. So far I've decided on Ticket to Ride, Small World, Race for the Galaxy, and King of New York.

Any recommendations (other than the ones listed in the OP, and a friend already has Catan)?

Someone is bound to recommend Codenames and it may as well be me.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing CitOW tonight with 5 players. What were the arguments against using the new Upgrade and Old Words cards again?

EDIT: Also, I like the Age of Sigmar being lower than Talisman.

I think the argument is they break the careful balance of the base game over their knee and render upgrade decisions moot, but I've only played the base game so can't say either way

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Engage & Destroy. The Brien Miller one, not the one that's on BBG. I think it's still under development at Compass Games.

Shucks, those counters are gorgeous.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Someone is bound to recommend Codenames and it may as well be me.

The OP should probably be amended to replace Dixit with Codenames.

ijyt, it would be a good idea to tell us how many friends you're playing with. Groups of less than six need different games to groups of 7-10. (A group of six can play both social games and many regular games.)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My Dixit probably feels neglected. None of my friend especially like it. Might be time to sell. Or maybe just use as wallpaper...

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

ElNarez posted:

You know what? I can totally see the Pandemic: Legacy hype machine beating it. Not putting anything on the line, but they've been really loud about how it's supposed to be the cat's pajamas or whatever.

I'm not quite sure how much of a hype train it is. It's a really engaging version of a game that I had previously thought kind of stale. I never thought I would so thoroughly enjoy Pandemic, but here I am, anticipating it on a weekly basis like I'm a kid at Christmas.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Big McHuge posted:

Speaking of sports games, anyone have opinions on either that Bottom of the 9th game or Baseball Highlights 2045?

I like Bottom of the 9th (and finally got my GenCon preorder last week), though the expansions with super-players isn't really necessary. If you don't like ~~dice rolls~~, though, stay away. It's fun for a ten minute thing.

Some day I will get someone to play Ultimate Baseball with me. SOME DAY. Also some day I'll fix their egregious errors w/r/t rankings.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

I would like to see the raw data on this analysis, it does not feel accurate to me. Talisman is much better than Age of Sigmar. :colbert:

In other news Amazon has finally decided to refund my money from my failed order of Dominion. I ordered it in September :sigh: What should I get with the money? I was thinking of buying a game for my nephews for Christmas.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 11, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

The OP should probably be amended to replace Dixit with Codenames.

ijyt, it would be a good idea to tell us how many friends you're playing with. Groups of less than six need different games to groups of 7-10. (A group of six can play both social games and many regular games.)

Good point. We usally have 4-5 for game nights, which sometimes jumps to 6-8.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I would like to see the raw data on this analysis, it does not feel accurate to me. Talisman is much better than Age of Sigmar. :colbert:

A full decasigmar better! If not rounded down, it'd be some 12 sigmars better, IIRC.

Not sure I can present raw data though. :sigh: Fun wars might be over now, but Pentagon is really anal about declassification procedures. Sorry!

[edit] Get Diskwars expansions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ijyt posted:

Good point. We usally have 4-5 for game nights, which sometimes jumps to 6-8.

Definitely Codenames, then. It's one of the few games that scales well from 4 to 8, and you already have Camel Up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The glory and horror of someone reading the Mombasa intro in a New Orleans accent was discovered last night.

I liked the game, but it took way too loving long because of serious AP in the group I was with (4 loving hours in a 4 player game). The card discard/pickup mechanic is fairly clever although the game is so tight that one misplay there can seriously derail you. It feels like a game that would benefit from a bunch of plays although if I were to ignore the :stare: cover and actually buy it I'd be worried about the variability once things did start to click.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Got the Nethervoid replacement set from CGE today. Full playset of cards (not just the misprints), new scoreboard and tokens, but no extra gateway obviously. So with some replacement token that's another complete faction we can use. Plus, they included the Legendary Summoner promo legend! They really are the best for customer service.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a 3 player game of Food Chain magnate yesterday. I lost badly with less than $100 while the other 2 had ~$200 and ~$300 respectively. They piggybacked on my infinite marketing campaigns and kept undercutting me so I didn't sell much of anything. At least I learned to be way more careful if I ever get the infinite marketing milestone.
Really good game, but it'll kick you in the face much harder than any Vlaada game if you screw up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is it a very mathy game? I haven't found a thorough review of it, but it looks like it's a lot of number crunching.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm just going to echo what other people have been saying and say that Warhammer Quest: ACG is pretty fun. It feels like playing the old WHQ or Descent, only without the huge-rear end board and tons of things to keep track of.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

DStecks posted:

That's sort of what helps it work, though. Betrayal is a great game for people of different skill levels to play because you can't meaningfully get good at it, but you still feel like you're making strategic decisions and planning things out. Like, my brother-in-law is crazy good at board games, I don't even like playing Catan with him any more because he always wins, but in Betrayal the winner is pretty hugely dependent upon luck without it feeling obviously luck based.

Yeah it's a terrible design if you're playing it to win, but as something that, say, the cousins can all play together without anybody feeling useless or anybody dominating the game too hard, it's pretty great.

Yeah I'm actually not being sarcastic in my quote. Sometimes that is the kind of game that people want to play, and I don't actually know if anyone has done that better than Betrayal. I'd like to see a faster version, but those kinds of game aren't my cup of tea so I don't know if I'm the right audience.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it a very mathy game? I haven't found a thorough review of it, but it looks like it's a lot of number crunching.
Not really. You need to add a few numbers every turn to figure out where the customers will go, but it's just 'distance + price'. Players can modify the numbers by playing pricing manager cards or by moving their restaurant around.
All cards are revealed at the beginning of the turn, so you can quickly math out what everyone else is pricing their food and plan accordingly. IMO Power Grid has more math.
I'd recommend keeping a running total of player earnings from turn to turn, but that's just because I find paper money to be annoyingly fiddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

It was actually #2!

Above Codenames (#6) and behind Pandemic: Legacy.