Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Seems to be a real shortage of tanks of Phinny, so your undecided about what class to play then tanks won't struggle to get a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Why am I playing this game again, I must hate myself.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Where do I need to go to catch up with some groups of us? Leveling a true melee is hard with my rusty rapier and not-full set of cloth armor. I am trying to hit three for "Hide" but hunting blues sucks for xp.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I'm selecting test on the patcher and it says Version: Test at the bottom, but when I hit play it's still logging me onto live server selection. Anyone know how to fix that?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got my Druid/Bard to level 8 in Crushbone yesterday. I'm still loving this old lovely game.

What's the best way to get bags/boxes for storage? Preferably near Gfay.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Did 7 to 10 .5 in Crush today - then went and handed in my share of Crushbone belts and shoulderpads (everyone was greeding so got 1/6th of the drops). That took me to 40% into level 11 so got about 90% of a level from the hand-in which was nice chunk of exp.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Malt posted:

I'm selecting test on the patcher and it says Version: Test at the bottom, but when I hit play it's still logging me onto live server selection. Anyone know how to fix that?

You need to click on the advanced settings icon and validate game assets.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So I bit the bullet and decided to roll with a single character for a bit to see how I like it. Buddies were already playing warrior, warrior, shadow knight, druid, rogue, wizard, so I picked enchanter since I figure there's enough buttons going on there to keep you busy. It's been a lot of fun and I'm almost to 16 through CB and Unrest but I'm unsure if I've made the right choice since there's a million enchanters. Wondering if I should start trying to box up a cleric since our druid is kinda flaky and he likes to nuke more than heal, and there is never not a need for clerics.

Also the pickzone thing is nice but I wish it was more up to the players when to spawn more instances. There were two instances of unrest with 30 people in them last night, but no one is strong enough to be on the second floor or the basement yet so we were all fighting each other for the yard and the first floor pickings. Basically we had to hope that dipshits would train themselves with Torklar Battlemaster which would clear out the area for a bit, and we'd get a steady stream of kills.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I have a few Bronze two-handers if any goons are looking for slightly better than rusty weapons.

I'll be on as Koreban and would be happy to deliver or parcel them to you guys.

Haven't gotten my hands on any of the one handers yet though.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How does one send items by parcel in eq? Is that some new thing?

Daybreak forums have people complaining about being disconnected if they mash buttons at the same time in separate machines. Is this an actual problem?

Thinking about shaman + monk, but not positive. People keep talking about enchanter two box setups. Is that for charm? I don't recall that being super viable in the early game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hoohah posted:

So I bit the bullet and decided to roll with a single character for a bit to see how I like it. Buddies were already playing warrior, warrior, shadow knight, druid, rogue, wizard, so I picked enchanter since I figure there's enough buttons going on there to keep you busy. It's been a lot of fun and I'm almost to 16 through CB and Unrest but I'm unsure if I've made the right choice since there's a million enchanters. Wondering if I should start trying to box up a cleric since our druid is kinda flaky and he likes to nuke more than heal, and there is never not a need for clerics.

Also the pickzone thing is nice but I wish it was more up to the players when to spawn more instances. There were two instances of unrest with 30 people in them last night, but no one is strong enough to be on the second floor or the basement yet so we were all fighting each other for the yard and the first floor pickings. Basically we had to hope that dipshits would train themselves with Torklar Battlemaster which would clear out the area for a bit, and we'd get a steady stream of kills.

People are REALLY BAD at being enchanters, like REALLY bad, being an enchanter is not only mez/clarity/haste/sometimesslow. What I used to do when solo boxing an enchanter in a group was, I would let my group do their thing, I would charm stuff, have it attack other stuff, then break charm and pull the mobs back, poo poo like that. Basically always be busy and use your full toolset. Charm might be difficult now, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

*EDIT* also getting my 2-box setup going tonight, I leveled my warrior solo to 2-3 last night for a bit just to get a feeling for the game again, and my cleric to 3, just gotta get them together now. Probably going to bring them together in Nektulos and then hit EC and then maybe CT if it's not an extreme shitfest (I'm sure it is). I'll hit goons up in channel and see if they want to plow through mobs with me.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2015

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

MF_James posted:

People are REALLY BAD at being enchanters, like REALLY bad, being an enchanter is not only mez/clarity/haste/sometimesslow. What I used to do when solo boxing an enchanter in a group was, I would let my group do their thing, I would charm stuff, have it attack other stuff, then break charm and pull the mobs back, poo poo like that. Basically always be busy and use your full toolset. Charm might be difficult now, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

*EDIT* also getting my 2-box setup going tonight, I leveled my warrior solo to 2-3 last night for a bit just to get a feeling for the game again, and my cleric to 3, just gotta get them together now. Probably going to bring them together in Nektulos and then hit EC and then maybe CT if it's not an extreme shitfest (I'm sure it is). I'll hit goons up in channel and see if they want to plow through mobs with me.

Yeah I'm pretty well aware at the toolkit, power, and capabilities of an enchanter, they were the first class I boxed old time style back in the day. I just didn't expect there to be a loving billion of them day one. There are two gaps where enchanter is really god drat useless (late velious to pop; TSS to like SoD or so when they start getting more nukes and resurgence aura) and I'd have thought people wouldn't be playing the class, but yesterday they were by far the most common people I'd see pop into unrest LFG. I suppose at least 50% of the people I've seen will quit or change classes by the time raiding occurs.

I'm really, REALLY hesitant to play cleric anyways since their solo-ability is horrendous until TSS, and really only works when you get mercs in SoD). Enchanter / cleric duo wouldn't be terrible, but I'm not sure how I'd power the cleric up.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

Yeah I'm pretty well aware at the toolkit, power, and capabilities of an enchanter, they were the first class I boxed old time style back in the day. I just didn't expect there to be a loving billion of them day one. There are two gaps where enchanter is really god drat useless (late velious to pop; TSS to like SoD or so when they start getting more nukes and resurgence aura) and I'd have thought people wouldn't be playing the class, but yesterday they were by far the most common people I'd see pop into unrest LFG. I suppose at least 50% of the people I've seen will quit or change classes by the time raiding occurs.

I'm really, REALLY hesitant to play cleric anyways since their solo-ability is horrendous until TSS, and really only works when you get mercs in SoD). Enchanter / cleric duo wouldn't be terrible, but I'm not sure how I'd power the cleric up.

Gotcha. I have seen enchanter rushes like this before (back in my day blah blah blah) because the pet is decent at low levels, and then you can transition into charm, but I think you hit it on the head, these people are going to quit/change classes once they realize they are loving awful at charm/mez.

Enchanter/druid would imo be better because you can snare the pet so it doesn't gently caress your face when charm breaks and it has haste, plus you get ports/sow which is never a bad thing to have. I just remember charming in PoP with my druid and snare saved me more times than I can count on my pet, so I can imagine it would be the same for enchanter charming, but I could be incorrect.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ugh just realized I forgot my spare laptop at work :(

Maybe I can install EQ on my work laptop for a few nights.... maybe...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is Kith still overrun with undead? I'll run my lil' level 3rogue over to see and maybe play in Misty Thicket for a while.

Apparently Zombie Troopers see through sneak/hide on a level 3 and hit me with a 201hp Harm Touch. "Aaaaawwwwwwweeeeeehhh," indeed.

I got a bind in Commonlands tunnel and am ready to head to Nektulos. Hopefully we can all meet somewhere and group.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Make sure when you sneak that it says "stalking prey" or whatever and not "elephants" or maybe you knew that and i'm being a dick idk!

Sometimes the (Yourchar) parenthesis bug out.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So how long is it going to be, you think, before people start demanding a new progression server?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Node posted:

So how long is it going to be, you think, before people start demanding a new progression server?

I think between the clusterfuck of LJ/RF and the slow exodus from Phinny once people get into the teens and see the exp rate most wont be clamoring for a new server for a while. People weren't really asking for Phinny, they were asking for those features to be on the other two.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm fine with it for now but I will agree it is kind of a funny move to make a quick release timetable for xpacs then lower the xp compared to longer timetable servers.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is Kith still overrun with undead? I'll run my lil' level 3rogue over to see and maybe play in Misty Thicket for a while.

Apparently Zombie Troopers see through sneak/hide on a level 3 and hit me with a 201hp Harm Touch. "Aaaaawwwwwwweeeeeehhh," indeed.

I got a bind in Commonlands tunnel and am ready to head to Nektulos. Hopefully we can all meet somewhere and group.

There are some undead in kith that will see any invis no matter what type. Almost lost Stanos's Head for the High Elf mask during a turn in 15 years ago to this.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...an-live.229191/

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Their official stance response is pretty funny. talking about how they are going to get better at communicating with players. They have a 15 year plus history of not doing that, why would they change now?

Less than 1% exp a kill at 15 soloing. With today's mana bar, there isn't a point if you're not a class that can do it efficiently. So make friends, and keep them close because holy poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Givin posted:

Their official stance response is pretty funny. talking about how they are going to get better at communicating with players. They have a 15 year plus history of not doing that, why would they change now?

Less than 1% exp a kill at 15 soloing. With today's mana bar, there isn't a point if you're not a class that can do it efficiently. So make friends, and keep them close because holy poo poo.

So it's genuinely a progression server, just like it was at launch.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I for one am outraged that you have to play with friends or get poo poo experience on this server that is about reliving the era when you had to play with friends or get poo poo experience.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I for one am outraged that you have to play with friends or get poo poo experience on this server that is about reliving the era when you had to play with friends or get poo poo experience.

I know right! What the ef DBG?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I play MMOs only for daily quests and ~~lore~~.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Medullah posted:

So it's genuinely a progression server, just like it was at launch.

Well sure, except for that part about 3 month progression.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Is anyone past the teens yet and can say whether the curve stays fairly linear like RF or gets exponential like classic?

I'm level 9.5 with 11 hours played. Not atrocious, but I hit 13 on LJ in 7 hours. Big difference. I think it feels so slow not only because you get less Exp per kill, but also because every group doesn't have 1-3 mages with pets capable of easily soloing red cons.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Dracneir posted:

Is anyone past the teens yet and can say whether the curve stays fairly linear like RF or gets exponential like classic?

I'm level 9.5 with 11 hours played. Not atrocious, but I hit 13 on LJ in 7 hours. Big difference. I think it feels so slow not only because you get less Exp per kill, but also because every group doesn't have 1-3 mages with pets capable of easily soloing red cons.

It's just a flat 50% or so slower. If it took an hour on Ragefire, it will take 2 on LJ. The static group I was in before we decided this wasn't worth it hit 15 after 16 hours with exp pots.

I think the problem I have with it is there isn't a point to it. This isn't a classic server, it's a true box progression server that for some reason is slow as gently caress despite its main features being for max levels. It's like those video games that just add a ton of health and nothing else to mobs on a higher difficult, its not harder its just annoying.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Malt posted:

It's like those video games that just add a ton of health and nothing else to mobs on a higher difficult, its not harder its just annoying.

I wasn't under the impression phinny was starting at Luclin.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

There's never been a point to EQ, though.

I was considering playing on RF again, the fun for me has always been leveling twink alts. I'd imagine there's less reason for box armies to exist with lower player count and RMT now too.

It's been fun on Phinigel though, realistically 3 months is still a ton of time to max 1 char and start an alt even as a casual player. Then there's 9 months of 60 being the cap too. Won't have the cap be 65 til a year from now. We'll all have quit by then anyways.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Malt posted:

It's just a flat 50% or so slower. If it took an hour on Ragefire, it will take 2 on LJ. The static group I was in before we decided this wasn't worth it hit 15 after 16 hours with exp pots.

I think the problem I have with it is there isn't a point to it. This isn't a classic server, it's a true box progression server that for some reason is slow as gently caress despite its main features being for max levels. It's like those video games that just add a ton of health and nothing else to mobs on a higher difficult, its not harder its just annoying.

Yeah after a bunch of hours of "this sure is slow" I think I might just go back to 3-boxing on Test.

E: scratching the itch just isn't what it used to be, might as well play modern eq really.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Do I have to have a paid account to play on Phinny?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Rage posted:

Do I have to have a paid account to play on Phinny?

Yes i'm 95% sure

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If previous Servers are any guide, xp and unlock rates are not set in stone.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
My Enchanter is 9.1 with 10 hours played, and I know one of those hours was trying to find a decent group. It seems like 1hr/level is the target time at least into the mid teens?

E: I forgot to mention: Holy gently caress, you absolutely MUST kill yellows or you'll die of old age. My group AOE'd six dark blues down for 1%, then we killed one yellow and got 2%. Reds were giving 3-4% but the TTK was so high on them that they made for poor chain pulling (and they resist everything).

boho fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

1hr/level seems right for the early teens if you're playing optimally with limited downtime, in a crappy group more like 2 hours. I went from 9.5 to 10.7 in about an hour and a half in a duo in CB, if you include the belt turnins. This is without potions.

On RF at least it was about an hour a level up until the 30s, and that was with mage pets easily soloing reds/yellows. So if it's a 50% nerf across the board, once we hit the mid-high teens, expect 2+ hours per level. Still not bad compared to classic, I guess. We're having fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

after playing so much p99, and even EQlive on test. 1hour per level seems heavenly.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

lemonslol posted:

after playing so much p99, and even EQlive on test. 1hour per level seems heavenly.

Is eqlive on test a fan run server, or are you actually talking about the test server ran by dbg/sony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

Bahanahab posted:

Is eqlive on test a fan run server, or are you actually talking about the test server ran by dbg/sony?

It's an official server. It's obvious intention is to test new content before they release it to the live servers, but i'd say 90% or more play on it for the double exp rates, and free subscription benefits.

On another note, are we doing the goon guild thing on Phinny? If not I'm just gonna find some pubbie guild to carry me to 50 then bail for raids.