Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm upset about Mailbox. Outlook and Inbox have much worse UIs for simple email triage, which is all I want on my phone.

Hopefully I can get more of my organizations over to Slack and stop worrying about email so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Use Exchange. Or GAPPS, I guess :shobon:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Spark, anyone else use it?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

priznat posted:

I like Spark, anyone else use it?

I just started using it, and I like everything except its Snooze function, which regularly "forgets" emails and drops them into the Archive.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What's the best way to get epubs to sync up across devices? Is there anything that will work like the kindle app? ie. it will know your location and sync you to that point?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

priznat posted:

I wonder if this is just a prelude of worse happening with Dropbox.. What are the chances they just fold completely in a year or so?

I don't think you'll see them fold entirely any soon, but stagnation for the consumer-level products wouldn't be unsurprising while they refocus on improving the needs for SMB and Fortune 500, because that's their actual revenue source.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I liked Loom, then Dropbox bought them and forced me into using Carousel, which was different but okay. Now I have to switch to using the normal Dropbox app? I don't really care, I just want an app that I can once in a while check and see a reassuring "All your photos are backed up" message and I've already backed everything up once so I don't wanna switch to some other service. Please don't die, Dropbox :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

cryptoclastic posted:

What's the best way to get epubs to sync up across devices? Is there anything that will work like the kindle app? ie. it will know your location and sync you to that point?

Marvin, hands down. It will sync bookmarks perfectly between devices.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Please don't die, Dropbox :(
They're not dying (yet), they're just trying to make their foundering IPO look more appealing by not spending money on things that aren't their core product.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Posted in the Watch app too, but does anybody know of something with a watch app that will give me a reminders list and syncs with iOS reminders? I'm using Fantastical 2, and while I love it on the phone the watch app is horrible. To-doist seems to be able to do this with IFTTT, but is prefer native syncing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I don't have an Apple Watch, but my friend does and I remember him having the same complaint. He ended up with this, and he seems satisified by it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

killa-pope posted:

Posted in the Watch app too, but does anybody know of something with a watch app that will give me a reminders list and syncs with iOS reminders? I'm using Fantastical 2, and while I love it on the phone the watch app is horrible. To-doist seems to be able to do this with IFTTT, but is prefer native syncing.

2do can log into iCloud and has a watch app, though I can't vouch for its quality.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Slowhanded posted:

I don't have an Apple Watch, but my friend does and I remember him having the same complaint. He ended up with this, and he seems satisified by it.

This seems promising so far! Syncs quickly to reminders and seems responsive on the watch.

cbirdsong posted:

2do can log into iCloud and has a watch app, though I can't vouch for its quality.

This is an absolute beast of an app, but way more than what I need it for right now. There doesn't seem to be a way to one-tap clear items on the watch which makes sense in a GTD context but sucks for grocery lists and the such.

Anyway, thanks y'all! Still open to suggestions but looking good so far.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

killa-pope posted:

This is an absolute beast of an app, but way more than what I need it for right now. There doesn't seem to be a way to one-tap clear items on the watch which makes sense in a GTD context but sucks for grocery lists and the such.

Anyway, thanks y'all! Still open to suggestions but looking good so far.
2Do rules, but yea, it's pretty complex. For groceries, though, use 'OurGroceries.' It will sync across devices, so if your wife or whatever adds something it pops up on your app as well. A blessing and a curse all in one :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Help please! I am trying to find a replacement for Mailbox given the news from yesterday. So far from my research the best 2 possible replacements are Spark and Outlook. Since I use 2 step verification on my Apple ID, I have to make an app specific password. Well when I try to log onto Outlook it keeps telling me I need to set-up an @icloud.com email. At first I thought it was because I have an old @me.com address for my Apple email, but than I remember that @icloud.com also works with that email address.

I am using my Apple ID (that email is a Gmail address) to log into the iCloud on Outlook. Do I need to log in using one of Apple email addresses (that wouldn't make sense, since it is asking for iCloud sign on)? Anyone else experienced this? Also I have am having issues setting up Spark with iCloud (unable to authenticate).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

2Do rules, but yea, it's pretty complex. For groceries, though, use 'OurGroceries.' It will sync across devices, so if your wife or whatever adds something it pops up on your app as well. A blessing and a curse all in one :v:

The good thing about using Reminders for groceries is that once you name a list "Groceries" you can tell Siri "add <item> to the grocery list."

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 8, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

cbirdsong posted:

The good thing about using Reminders for groceries is that once you name a list "Groceries" you cam tell Siri "add <item> to the grocery list."

This is literally the only reason that I use Reminders. It's boss as gently caress.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Help please! I am trying to find a replacement for Mailbox given the news from yesterday. So far from my research the best 2 possible replacements are Spark and Outlook.

Depending on how you process your mail and handle your to do list, Dispatch is another fine option. It's my mail app of choice.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Crazy talk but I went back to the stock Mail app and I am happier than when I used Outlook.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Crazy talk but I went back to the stock Mail app and I am happier than when I used Outlook.

The stock mail app doesn't have a snooze aka scheduler function which is a must have for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I use the stock mail app, and it does everything I need, except for one quirk - I have my email (outlook account) set to push, but for some reason, the app will sometimes decide to randomly stop grabbin new emails from the server until I go into the app and manually refresh.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Firefox launched a free iOS content blocker today

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'm so on the fence about Apple Music, this problem is about to make me head back to Spotify but I really want AM to work so I can keep Siri integration.

I'm the main person on the shared family account. Family Apple Music sub, mine works fine.

My wife however can't add any playlists to her music. The + at the top of the playlist does not work. If you hit it, the "Added to My Music" pop up will happen, but the playlist is not in My Music, go back to playlist and the + has reverted back to the check. If you watch it the + will revert back after about 10-30 seconds. You can highlight the "I like this" heart, you can use the 3 dots to download a playlist, but it will not appear in the library.

I've checked that iCloud Music Library is on in Settings, signed in and out of iCloud, iTunes, and verified she's signed in and showing as my Family member in the Apple Music app.

Restarting hasn't fixed. I really want to avoid a restore, but I guess that's all I'm left to do. Any ideas what the issue could be?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

cbirdsong posted:

The good thing about using Reminders for groceries is that once you name a list "Groceries" you can tell Siri "add <item> to the grocery list."
Yeah, my wife and I have used Our Groceries for years, but this point and the fact that things like the mentioned Reminders Nano made me switch over to using Reminders.

There's another (free) app that's similar to Reminders Nano, called Reminders Plus, that lets you see Reminder lists on your watch as a checklist and sort of check things off the list -- they are actually still on the list but they're flagged as "complete" and don't show up on the watch. You can only delete them "for real" through Reminders on your phone. But it's free.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bird Law posted:

I'm so on the fence about Apple Music, this problem is about to make me head back to Spotify but I really want AM to work so I can keep Siri integration.

The restore won't work. Apple Music was a mistake.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Wrong thread

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 11, 2015

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

goodness posted:

I need a recommendation for some games that would be good for a couple to play on an iPad. Pass/Play or cooperative are both good options, even iPad vs iPhone if there is any good possibilities there.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

For iOS game related things in general please go here

Though, one suggestion* off the top of my head is SpaceTeam (need devices for each person, cooperative).

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 11, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Though, one suggestion* off the top of my head is SpaceTeam (need devices for each person, cooperative).

Thanks! Didn't see the thread on my first look.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ugh, so with mailbox shutting down and a local Mac app for inbox out, is there any way to get Inbox to show all the stuff in my inbox in the badge count, instead of just unread stuff?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

tuyop posted:

Ugh, so with mailbox shutting down and a local Mac app for inbox out, is there any way to get Inbox to show all the stuff in my inbox in the badge count, instead of just unread stuff?

I haven't used it but Boxy is getting good reviews and is a native mac app: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/12/09/boxy-is-a-google-inbox-desktop-app-for-mac-that-doesnt-suck/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm a Mailbox refugee and have been trying Spark. It's OK, but a bit 'fussy' compared to how nicely minimal mailbox is, and the badge icon doesnt seem to be very good at keeping itself up to date.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm Windows except for my iPhone and I've been pretty happy with the Gmail app. Most notably, delete actually sends messages to the trash instead of archiving them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm Windows except for my iPhone and I've been pretty happy with the Gmail app. Most notably, delete actually sends messages to the trash instead of archiving them.

And FYI, if someone wants delete to Archive instead of Delete, you can change that setting in google sync settings.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LPG Giant posted:

I haven't used it but Boxy is getting good reviews and is a native mac app: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/12/09/boxy-is-a-google-inbox-desktop-app-for-mac-that-doesnt-suck/

Yup, I kind of want that but I'm wondering about changing the inbox iPhone app badge behavior to match Mailbox's behavior.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yup, I kind of want that but I'm wondering about changing the inbox iPhone app badge behavior to match Mailbox's behavior.

I think Inbox considers mail either "done" or "not done," and I'm pretty sure if you just mark mail as Not Done it'll be reflected in the badge count. It's been a while since I used Mailbox -- I swapped it for Inbox when Google released it -- but I'm using Boxy right now and Inbox on iOS and it's a really solid option.

If you already have Mailplane (Gmail wrapper) on OSX you can select the option in Inbox to forward gmail.com to inbox and it'll work as a desktop client for Inbox as well.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

priznat posted:

I wonder if this is just a prelude of worse happening with Dropbox.. What are the chances they just fold completely in a year or so?

It is a risk. I assume they must have some sort of business continuity plan? Thinking in that context it would simply be a more stable choice to go with a large company like Amazon, Google, etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

I think Inbox considers mail either "done" or "not done," and I'm pretty sure if you just mark mail as Not Done it'll be reflected in the badge count. It's been a while since I used Mailbox -- I swapped it for Inbox when Google released it -- but I'm using Boxy right now and Inbox on iOS and it's a really solid option.

If you already have Mailplane (Gmail wrapper) on OSX you can select the option in Inbox to forward gmail.com to inbox and it'll work as a desktop client for Inbox as well.

I don't really see how to mark an email as "not done". The checkmark is "done", and pinning doesn't change the badge, neither does adding a reminder (at which point I have no idea how to get rid of a reminder, it just hangs out in the reminder list and can only be snoozed). As soon as I read an email, it lowers the badge count and I can't get it back. :(

This is kind of important because I used the badge icon as a sort of reminder that I have things to do, and without it I have to actually think about checking my email for things I need to do which kind of defeats the purpose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is anyone else's Facebook messenger going crazy on them. It keeps connecting and reconnecting on like an infinite loop so I can't talk to anyone.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I just wanted to say again that Boxer is a great little email client. It's a true email client and not some "store your email on my server," type of bullshit.

I'm by No means a email power user. But I used to mailbox years ago and enjoyed it and found that it was a pretty easy transition to Boxer.

Unfortunately, it's pretty awful compared to mailbox when it comes to reminders and having mail "to-do," like wanting to be reminded about a piece of mail.

It was a pretty easy transition though, like I said, I typically just deal with emails as I get them instead of setting a reminder to check on something. So it's changed my workflow a little but I don't mind.

All I care about are the swipe gestures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tuyop posted:

I don't really see how to mark an email as "not done". The checkmark is "done", and pinning doesn't change the badge, neither does adding a reminder (at which point I have no idea how to get rid of a reminder, it just hangs out in the reminder list and can only be snoozed). As soon as I read an email, it lowers the badge count and I can't get it back. :(

This is kind of important because I used the badge icon as a sort of reminder that I have things to do, and without it I have to actually think about checking my email for things I need to do which kind of defeats the purpose.

You can hit the checkmark while inside an email to mark it as Not Done. Alternatively, you can Snooze it to set a time where it'll push another notification to you.