Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Seashell Salesman posted:

How do I know when my rads are "250 or higher" to get the Isodoped from Hancock to proc? I mean, I have < 250 HP so it can't be 250 worth of HP in the red bar on the HUD right?

Open your Pip-Boy and look at the rad meter on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

I'd rather type with proper grammar and punctuation and sound like a dick than drop them and sound like a middle school dropout. I just can't wrap my head around why some people don't use capitalization. I can understand if some people have trouble with grammar, but you learn in first grade to start your sentences with a capital letter.

lmao

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

E-Tank posted:

Yeah and that's the issue. I don't love my gun. My gun isn't special. My gun is just like every other loving gun out there, and I can make every other gun just like it. Where are the unique weapons that can't be touched because they're flawed, but beautiful beyond/because of that?

Again, Survivalist's rifle. My favorite gun in the entire NV game. If you want to use iron sights you have to figure out how to aim it with a bent barrel sight. Something you realize that the guy who used it had to deal with too yet he was still a crack marksman. And when you do that it makes you feel like a loving badass. That gun oozed history and character and gently caress me if looking back at it doesn't make me feel a bit depressed about FO4's rather cut down approach.

And then the mods aren't really all that tactical. You go to the one that's the hardest to craft. That's the one that gives you the best numbers. Barring things like compensators where you might prefer the range over the recoil control, you always want to go for the bottom mod.

You keep pointing to that gun like every unique in New Vegas was like it but I'm pretty sure most of them were just "does more damage", possibly with a fancier model. Same applies to Fallout 3.

EDIT: I'd say New Vegas had better guns not because of the handful of uniques that were actually interesting, but rather because the game just had a ton of guns.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

You keep pointing to that gun like every unique in New Vegas was like it but I'm pretty sure most of them were just "does more damage", possibly with a fancier model. Same applies to Fallout 3.
the fancy model is very important
without the medicine wheel and feather the medicine stick is just a plain ol' brush rifle

but yes it's the tons and tons of guns + gun classes/groups have distinct identity to them vs. samey small arms

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Open your Pip-Boy and look at the rad meter on the right.

Oh. That's better than nothing I guess. I wonder why they don't have a digital display on the stats page like the previous games did.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Positronic Spleen posted:

at some point additional stealth is kind of overkill.

I decided I had enough stealth when a deathclaw pushed me out of the way to get at a raider without initiating [CAUTION]

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just noticed that being naked makes it easier to sneak up on people than wearing only muffled light leather armor. That seems wrong.

On the bright side, the Silver Shroud quest is amazing. I made the terrible mistake of not realizing wearing the costume gave you special dialog until the second evil-doer, so I had to reload and do it properly.

Also I brutally dismember targets with an axe instead of using the SMG, but hey, the axe is silver-ish.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Something I noticed a while ago, that I'm pretty sure wasn't in the previous games and which made a VATS-based firearm run tolerable, is that you can press tab at any time while VATS is playing out and immediately get out of it and even get the AP back from the shots you didn't take yet. You can also tab out after you fire, to skip the slow kill-cam thing, and get to see people's faces explode in real-time. For some reason queueing up a VATS head crit and then tabbing out to see the result in real time never gets old.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: I'd say New Vegas had better guns not because of the handful of uniques that were actually interesting, but rather because the game just had a ton of guns.
having ammo types like armor piercing SWC and exploding sniper rifle rounds also helped quite a lot

those have been rolled into the enchantments for this game, but there's no scaling to make them balanced or sane (wounding lmao), not to mention the armor system is glitched as gently caress when it comes to explosions

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

"I make up my own words and language rules. I'm a self smarted poster." - anime schoolgirl
what happened to your avatar

also are you watching dragon ball SUPER

:agreed:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Are the BoS vertibirds meant to just randomly become hostile? Are they attacking me because I have Valentine with me?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Are the BoS vertibirds meant to just randomly become hostile? Are they attacking me because I have Valentine with me?

Might not be a BoS vertibird. I got attacked by one being flown by Gunners.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

most vertibirds have no allegiances besides "hostile to everyone" yet still count for faction reactions (ie danse getting offended by blowing up a gunner vert)

yeah i don't know why this is the case either

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Maybe you aren't up on social media trends but "you should be dropping all punctuation and grammar rules or you'll sound like a dick" is a serious thing being pushed around online right now, by people who spend all day emailing professionally but can't write their way out of a paper bag
a lot of people wax on punctuation/word usage yet forget about basic concepts like "maybe i should put this in a less condescending manner" or "people might still notice i'm a giant loving narcissist even if i type good!!"

see: certain people in this thread (not PRESIDENT GOKU)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 11, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JackBadass posted:

Might not be a BoS vertibird. I got attacked by one being flown by Gunners.

When I VATS it the guys inside are labeled "BoS Lancer" etc. so I know it's BoS. I have played over 200 hours and still never seen a Gunners vertibird. Kind of unsure if they are a real thing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

no really seriously why can't you select static objects like buildings and trees and poo poo w/ the console anymore

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

no really seriously why can't you select static objects like buildings and trees and poo poo w/ the console anymore

reducing active entity count so game logic doesn't poo poo itself quite as quickly

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, how does picking a faction work? Do you -have- to become hostile to all the factions you don't pick, or can you be friendly with more than one? Who did you guys pick and why?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

When I VATS it the guys inside are labeled "BoS Lancer" etc. so I know it's BoS. I have played over 200 hours and still never seen a Gunners vertibird. Kind of unsure if they are a real thing.

Yeah, they're real. I found one near the WRVR Broadcast Station, and it found me, too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

there are various "points of no return" that cause factions to become hostile or no longer give you progression radiant quests but it's nowhere near as clear as new vegas was about it (a lot of minutemen quests actually close off other paths without telling you, for example)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there are various "points of no return" that cause factions to become hostile or no longer give you progression radiant quests but it's nowhere near as clear as new vegas was about it (a lot of minutemen quests actually close off other paths without telling you, for example)

But there are like 2 real Minutemen quests. Do the Radiant ones actually lock you out of other factions?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

But there are like 2 real Minutemen quests. Do the Radiant ones actually lock you out of other factions?
the radiant ones don't, but the two real minuteman quests do

basically put off retaking the castle and you can still "play" three sides against each other even though you're just doing pissant tasks for all three of them

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Ak Gara posted:

And you didn't draw a giant penis in the sky, why?

Totaly woyld have but the smoke is two dimensional. It means that it just lungers in a cloud around me and no matter how much I move or turn the camera. The smoke is still in the same spot "frozen"

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

most vertibirds have no allegiances besides "hostile to everyone" yet still count for faction reactions (ie danse getting offended by blowing up a gunner vert)

yeah i don't know why this is the case either

If you let Danse blow it up instead, does he still get mad at you?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If you let Danse blow it up instead, does he still get mad at you?

Yup. He divebombed from the top of Hancock's building in Goodneighbour and pissed off the guards, then got lovely with me because he opened fire and killed them in self-defense. :v:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

poptart_fairy posted:

Yup. He divebombed from the top of Hancock's building in Goodneighbour and pissed off the guards, then got lovely with me because he opened fire and killed them in self-defense. :v:

I got aggro from all the guards in vault 81 for jumping over a guard rail in power armour.

Such squares.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

JackBadass posted:

I'd rather type with proper grammar and punctuation and sound like a dick than drop them and sound like a middle school dropout. I just can't wrap my head around why some people don't use capitalization. I can understand if some people have trouble with grammar, but you learn in first grade to start your sentences with a capital letter.

code:
               (Y) GRAMMAR?
(X) MAYBE PUNCTUATION   (B) HATE GRAMMAR
               (A) SHAUN 
---

I love these shots.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 11, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
This game seriously gets boring after around level 25. I'm around 36 and I can't find any fun in it anymore.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

nosl posted:

This game seriously gets boring after around level 25. I'm around 36 and I can't find any fun in it anymore.

That's sadly a problem all modern Bethesda games share.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nosl posted:

the only mod that makes this game fun (more spawns) is glitchy as gently caress as well

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Lima posted:

That's sadly a problem all modern Bethesda games share.

Literally. I do the same thing around those levels on Oblivion and Skyrim, too. Even Fallout 3, really, but to a lesser extent. There's just no more content, just blatant scaling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the range stat on shotguns affect the tightness of the shot cone in general, or only the deviation of the cone-centre? Wondering whether I should be building for max range or for recoil reduction.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
"unnng-Ashes, go Hooome! Erin misses you!"

You can really feel the emotion in that delivery.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unctuous Cretin posted:

"unnng-Ashes, go Hooome! Erin misses you!"

You can really feel the emotion in that delivery.

That was one of the couple really egregious times where I just couldn't help but marvel at them keeping whatever that take was. I mean I guess I'm glad they did because it was hilarious, but goddamn man.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

That was one of the couple really egregious times where I just couldn't help but marvel at them keeping whatever that take was. I mean I guess I'm glad they did because it was hilarious, but goddamn man.

To be fair it does sound like a person exasperatedly talking at their annoying cat, so they got that right at least.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nosl posted:

it's because of the idiotic default minimum levels on encounter zones, start a new game with Adjusted Encounter Zones and prepare to :black101:

with that and 5x NPC damage, i'm level 34 on my silent assassin and if I go to [DANGER] it usually means I'm dead, while on my level ninety something melee I can take maybe five to ten late game dudes before my health starts dropping hard. pretty edge of the seat type experience more or less all the time.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 11, 2015

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

coyo7e posted:

hate to break it to ya, but if you're not literally semi-auto rifle-specced, you ain't gonna make that shot without savescumming like a motherfucker.

I did it with my .50 cal sniper rifle, just had to wait for the right timing and then use hold breath when sniping. No savescumming. If you've got a silenced 10mm, you can fire off a potshot from that distance and it will just get them moving around to look for the shooter, so that can help when power armor guys don't turn their backs to you.

I'm also pretty sure hitting the power core of armor with anything will make it explode.

But yeah, you at least need a scoped rifle to pull this particular thing off.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Fereydun posted:

since gen3 synths are clearly just humans that can't reproduce (i think?) the obvious thing would be to have father still be the same moron but make it really obvious that the synths are only following the institute's orders despite massively outnumbering them out of love/respect/whatever connection for their literal father. so the instant someone else steps in you've got a potential terminator/skynet situation. this also justifies father's bizarre stance on synths because of the idea that he'd never see the human side to 'em as they're all real reverent to him and whatnot while he's around.
so you create an issue of chain of command to where even if you take over the institute and start making things not totally hosed it's impossible to tell if synths will just murder everyone in the institute and wipe out humanity out of sheer production possibility + crazy scifi tech of the institute the second some dumb rear end in a top hat becomes the leader of the place.
this also vaguely legitimizes the BOS's decision in light of their straight up evil status and creates a dilemma for the railroad in that you have to choose between dooming the race that you're trying to free or taking a risk w/ the future of synths (though the choice is obvious for a goody twoshoes anyways i guess)

also it ties to MY BABY more i guess idk

Well, for all intents and purposes, you are their grandfather. They are based off your son's DNA. Their dialogue also heavily implies they view the Father's Father with similar reverence. You are, pretty much, the progenitor of an entire new race The problem is caused by Bethesda's lackluster writing and their inability of inducing and eliciting an emotional response to this conundrum.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
So if I've taken the castle back for the minutemen I can no longer join any other faction?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Stangg posted:

So if I've taken the castle back for the minutemen I can no longer join any other faction?

Nah, you can still join all the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

My issue with my .50 sniper is that its DPS is so low that I can't use it on any enemy that's worth a drat. I tried to keep it around to one-shot weak poo poo but frankly it shoots too slow even for that. Other weapons I've got do a ton more damage per shot so it's really not even that great as a sniper. There was one huge weapon mod in New Vegas that I liked a lot, hopefully there's gonna be a similar one for 4 that can address my huge pile of useless .50 ammo.

• Locked thread