Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rad Lieutenant posted:

the blonde chick who was maybe loving Kevin

That reminds me of one of the good-weird parts about Season 1, the :psyduck: family, and how eventually Kevin goes from living with his angry daughter, her cool friend, and a stray dog to living with a stray dog and a 17 year old girl who he has sexual tension with.

Another nod towards Twin Peaks I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I just had a scary thought. Season 3 might open with a different song. 89.4% of my enjoyment of this season was Damon Lindelof using Iris DeMent's lovely voice to tell Lost haters to go gently caress themselves.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love this season but that song never grew on me, I hope they change it!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FrensaGeran posted:

I just had a scary thought. Season 3 might open with a different song. 89.4% of my enjoyment of this season was Damon Lindelof using Iris DeMent's lovely voice to tell Lost haters to go gently caress themselves.

I love it too and view that intro sequence change a result of Lindelof's depression (from that interview talking about how depressing season 1 was and how depressed he himself actually was). So hopefully it was a result of that and not something they feel they need to change again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope next season has Australians coming to Miracle, and I hope that Miracle is a terrible parody of it's former self and a sort of Mecca for all of America after what happened to Kevin

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The season 2 intro song fit the change of tone going into Jarden. It's much easier for these people to, at least on the surface, "let the mystery be" since the departure is a boon for their town. They tolerate sacrificing goats and wedding dress worship, not only because it "adds to their mystique" as Miracle Tobacco Man said about the earthquakes, but because no one can prove that it wasn't a goat sacrifice that led to Jarden being "spared." No one knows for certain. Try telling someone who lost their family in the Departure that it's because they didn't slit a goat's throat beforehand, I'm betting they're less likely to "let the mystery be" and more likely to throw a rock through your window or spray you with a hose.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Professor Shark posted:

That reminds me of one of the good-weird parts about Season 1, the :psyduck: family, and how eventually Kevin goes from living with his angry daughter, her cool friend, and a stray dog to living with a stray dog and a 17 year old girl who he has sexual tension with.

Another nod towards Twin Peaks I guess

Aimee should come visit Jill in Season 3. Kevin's already got his ex-wife and girlfriend under one roof, why not stick the overtly flirty temptress teen in there, too.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Pot Pie posted:

I wonder how many of the most supportive fans of this series have suffered severe and sudden loss. I feel like it might be a lot, I certainly have.

I talked to folks about the first season and it didn't make a lick of sense to them, it was just wierd sad-angry people doing wierd stuff for no reason like "what is their problem?"
Sudden loss, slow loss, depression, chronic pain - I think you probably have to have experienced grief to "get it".
Guess this really is a niche show but I so love seeing characters struggle for more than one episode without magic solutions/interventions changing them around entirely.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

FrensaGeran posted:

...and all the interviews where he tells the Lost haters to go gently caress themselves - he'd meant for it to be a character based story and the demand for new twists got out of hand.
He's still smarting over Prometheus too, which was a clusterfuck that he manage to make slightly less wack but he really didn't get much choice there - thanks Ridley Scott!

//I imagine its a lot like the actors working under George Lucas in Star Wars, they gave it their best but his editing was atrocious and his script was stiff. The deleted scenes for Padme show an actual character with actual motives, a real romance and beginning the rebellion! Mindboggling bad choices in the editing.//

Thing is, most haters are former devotees. Critics are people who give a poo poo for a living. I'm glad he's learned to respect his audience better, however long it took him.
I seriously love that he's constantly second guessing himself so he's keeping it all reigned in, nice and tight, season per season, not letting himself get ahead of himself.
and of course, HBO is better suited to this kind of TV as a novel, niche/boutique, approach

n3wt fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

n3wt posted:

Sudden loss, slow loss, depression, chronic pain - I think you probably have to have experienced grief to "get it".

So basically this show is the GR. :tinfoil:

CountryFriedSnake
Feb 25, 2006
I'm going to throw this out here as I just finished rewatching the finale...this show reminds me alot of Evangelion whereas Kevin is an adult Shinji. The trials and tribulations he has gone through mimics NGE minus the giant robots and angels. It started in my mind with the Secret Agent Hotel episode and I kind of thought Patty as Kawaoru and with the finale the dog being Rei. And then I started looking at all the crap Kevin has gone through. Kevin coming home to everyone that really kicked the Evangelion analogy into overdrive. Maybe this is DL's version of an adult NGE.

I'll go back to not posting now. Thank you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CountryFriedSnake posted:

I'm going to throw this out here as I just finished rewatching the finale...this show reminds me alot of Evangelion whereas Kevin is an adult Shinji. The trials and tribulations he has gone through mimics NGE minus the giant robots and angels. It started in my mind with the Secret Agent Hotel episode and I kind of thought Patty as Kawaoru and with the finale the dog being Rei. And then I started looking at all the crap Kevin has gone through. Kevin coming home to everyone that really kicked the Evangelion analogy into overdrive. Maybe this is DL's version of an adult NGE.

dear god

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

the dog can't be Rei because dogs own

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I only read the first few words of this before I realized it was comparing this show to an anime cartoon then I stopped, I just wrote this post to discourage you from posting like that again in the future, thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Professor Shark posted:

I only read the first few words of this before I realized it was comparing this show to an anime cartoon then I stopped, I just wrote this post to discourage you from posting like that again in the future, thanks

I agree completely.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Hakkesshu posted:

I love this season but that song never grew on me, I hope they change it!

I was okay with both intros. I'd also be okay with HBO scrapping the whole show thing and dedicating itself to exclusively churning out intros. Because they're really good at them.

If this post existed in the show it would not get a wristband.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
In a way this show is not only like anime but also kind of like that episode where bugs bunny dresses up as a woman or like my little pony because they are all things that countryfriedsnake jacks off too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:wtc: the shows been on hiatus less than a week and this is what the thread turns into

See you guys next year lol

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The nonliteral reference to Mpreg in The Leftovers should not be taken as a license to discuss it with anime or anime fandom.

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005

Ohhh! That's real good, CountryFriedSnake. That's Great. I'm going to put that up on the fridge, so everyone can see it.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Same but I also want to have sex with her.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Season 2 was very reminiscent of the motion picture Home Alone 2 in that, despite a shift to a new location, the original characters were soon up to their old tricks again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I kind of hate the Guilty Remnant but I just had a thought about them that might help me not hate them.

The reason I dislike them is that what they do seems really stupid and pointless. But maybe that's because they have no idea what they're doing. Did the GR form out of a bunch of people in grief and shock with no ideology, and then no one really knows what they're doing but everyone else seems to, so the group just becomes this kind of mob mentality type thing? It's just a bunch of people trying to fit in with the others, which means people will take it farther and farther as they try to prove that they belong

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

blue squares posted:

So I kind of hate the Guilty Remnant but I just had a thought about them that might help me not hate them.

The reason I dislike them is that what they do seems really stupid and pointless. But maybe that's because they have no idea what they're doing. Did the GR form out of a bunch of people in grief and shock with no ideology, and then no one really knows what they're doing but everyone else seems to, so the group just becomes this kind of mob mentality type thing? It's just a bunch of people trying to fit in with the others, which means people will take it farther and farther as they try to prove that they belong

Patti says a few things that indicate their purpose, and I'm pretty sure other characters have mentioned things. They're a living reminder of the departure. They don't want people to move on and continue like normal, as they view it as the end of the world.

They're incredibly disillusioned, feel like human connection is meaningless, and they were left behind. Patti mentions she wants to be taken the next time around. They destroy relationships because they want to keep the wound open, and push everyone towards their apathy.

They view Miracle as a big obstacle to this because it's some sort of untouched idealistic view that they got away with it and can continue life like it was before.

Hardflip fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 13, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hardflip posted:

They don't want people to move on and continue like normal, as they view it as the end of the world.

They're incredibly disillusioned, feel like human connection is meaningless, and they were left behind. Patti mentions she wants to be taken the next time around. They destroy relationships because they want to keep the wound open, and push everyone towards their apathy.

They view Miracle as a big obstacle to this because it's some sort of untouched idealistic view that they got away with it and can continue life like it was before.

Oh that makes a lot more sense. It's been a long time since I half-heartedly watched season one. Thanks!

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

blue squares posted:

Oh that makes a lot more sense. It's been a long time since I half-heartedly watched season one. Thanks!

No prob, they never really say it out loud (because they don't speak) so whenever someone actually talks, it feels like a personal opinion rather than the overall goal.

But it's easier now to see from 2 complete seasons what their intention is, especially with the dialogue from Patti in the well.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

n3wt posted:

HBO is better suited to this kind of TV as a novel, niche/boutique, approach

this show feels so much like a novel it's insane and i love it

between the character-specific chapters and the hotel batshittery etc.

maybe it's just refreshing to not have such a cut-between-various-storylines-every-few-seconds thing happening like in game of thrones or something

are there some American Exceptionalism vibes going on??

also kevin peacing out of the welcome hall when they started singing was hilarious. "Not these fuckers again ugh."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

n3wt posted:

I was describing this show to a friend and the best way I could think of was, think of season one as living with someone who's going through a traumatic loss, and season two as dealing with the loss yourself.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Season 3 confirmed and it's the final season.
http://hbowatch.com/hbo-renews-the-leftovers-for-third-and-final-season/
http://www.indiewire.com/article/the-leftovers-season-3-picked-up-hbo-renewed-for-final-season-20151210

I'm really glad that HBO is still taking risks and working on maintaining a brand known for niche stuff that wows the critics and gets word of mouth exposure. They now have Netflix to contend with for the Boutique Quality or whatever they call it.
It's getting really tiresome seeing good shows get yanked (often mid season) on other networks playing the ratings game. Ratings don't even work the way they used to!
Lindelhof said himself that he expects a lot of people to tune in to S2 and binge watch once they have know that it doesn't have a painful (or just plain bad) ending.

There a few series where I've done the same and was planning to do so with The Leftovers but each new episode was too riveting to put it off and the weekly discussions made it even better (Thankyou guys for not being *the worst*).

More interesting reading:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/the-leftovers-season-2-hard-to-watch-damon-lindelof-and-tom-perrotta-20150930

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Honestly, I'm trying to very hard to be the worst, but let's just say that it's very competitive environment, and most of us here just don't have what it takes. There was that post about anime though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The Leftovers is basically Final Fantasy 7 meets Donnie Darko and I'll tell you why:

It all goes back to Atlas Shrugged...

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I just started watching this show and am on S1EP04.

Is it weird that I think that it would be better without any dream sequences or other stupid poo poo like that?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Bert Roberge posted:

Is it weird that I think that it would be better without any dream sequences or other stupid poo poo like that?

They get better, or at least different, as the series goes on. I didn't really like the one in episode three, it got to close to Tim & Eric style by the end.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWk-SelJroA

so loving good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished season 1 finally last night. Definitely nowhere near as good as 2 but I still managed to get a lot out of it. Gets way better in the second half once it gets weirder and they start properly digging into how crazy Kevin is (coulda done with a lot of this context while watching s2 but you live and learn).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Bert Roberge posted:

I just started watching this show and am on S1EP04.

I was kinda iffy on season 1 but stick with it, season 2 is great

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Finally finished S2 last night.

The show grew on me this season after a pattern of what I felt was one good episode for every 2 bad episodes last season.

I really was hating that they chose to bring back what may be the most annoying character of all time as an apparition of Garvey's mental issues. But the death episode easily was my favorite so without that ogre of a woman smacking at Garvey the payoff wouldn't have been there. Also on that episode 5 minutes in I thought this is the most pretentious dream or death piece ever but it turned out really drat brilliant.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Lindelof was on Andy Greenwald's Channel 33 podcast this week. Listen to it. It's really good.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

Sten Freak posted:

Finally finished S2 last night.

The show grew on me this season after a pattern of what I felt was one good episode for every 2 bad episodes last season.

I really was hating that they chose to bring back what may be the most annoying character of all time as an apparition of Garvey's mental issues. But the death episode easily was my favorite so without that ogre of a woman smacking at Garvey the payoff wouldn't have been there. Also on that episode 5 minutes in I thought this is the most pretentious dream or death piece ever but it turned out really drat brilliant.

i loved her dude

her meta-commentary was great

"What are you going to do, go see the magical negro trope?" paraphrased

her jeopardy monologue was probably my favorite bit of the whole show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

marblize posted:

i loved her dude

her meta-commentary was great

"What are you going to do, go see the magical negro trope?" paraphrased

her jeopardy monologue was probably my favorite bit of the whole show

The entire well scene is impossibly well done. So rewarding as a viewer, it was 100% payoff . You hated this woman for so long, wanted her dead a season ago but now you just feel gross about it.

There were a lot of good TV shows to watch this year, and that was absolutely hands down my favourite scene and episode of anything.

• Locked thread