Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

@Nozh: Don't feel bad. As far as I know, CAMH generally does good work with addiction and most mental health issues. Trans care has just been their terrible dark secret for decades. It's why the Ontario government picked them as the central hub for trans services in the province, and why other health care professionals felt good about making referrals there: they're a quality institution that does great work in mental health across a wide range of specialties, it fits. No one just ever paid attention to them not following the international standards of care, etc etc.

I've donated time and money to CAMH and feel terrible that they've even touched conversion therapy but I'm determined to put whatever pressure I can to make sure they change their ways for the better and provide positive care to trans people.

Anyway, my girlfriend has been knitting like crazy to make touques and little stuffed polar bears for Syrian kids arriving in Toronto. Although the weather's been so mild they may not need them for a while yet.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Brian Bowman is too good for Winnipeg

Winnipeg: tolerant, accepting, understanding. unless you're native

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I've donated time and money to CAMH and feel terrible that they've even touched conversion therapy but I'm determined to put whatever pressure I can to make sure they change their ways for the better and provide positive care to trans people.

Thank you. I wish I had suggestions about how you could help, but I honestly try not to think about it too much. It still hurts, a lot. About all I can think of is donating to the Rainbow Health Coalition, if they take donations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh poo poo, Duffy is dropping more bombs

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Time to wheel out this ol' chestnut (caution: jittery GIF) I made a couple years back.

Also I found this when I went looking:

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Look at all you wide eyed fluffy tailed morons acting like Canadians aren't fygm assholes

Wonder how many Canadian Trump supporters are out there?

Of course, according to the threads favorite political analyst, the one and only J.J McCullough, the fact that Canada cannot produce a Trump like-candidate is symptomatic of an "unhealthy democracy." http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/canada-could-not-produce-a-trump-and-thats-a-bad-thing/ haha

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't understand how you could read American political history, with its political machines, brokered party conventions, electoral college, and even the modern primary system and think that the American system tolerates political heterodoxy. If Canada's worse about this then it's a matter of degrees, not a wide gulf like he's suggesting.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

crowoutofcontext posted:

Wonder how many Canadian Trump supporters are out there?

Of course, according to the threads favorite political analyst, the one and only J.J McCullough, the fact that Canada cannot produce a Trump like-candidate is symptomatic of an "unhealthy democracy." http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/canada-could-not-produce-a-trump-and-thats-a-bad-thing/ haha

American political parties are weaker because cash is king. Trump can offend his party's establishment because he's a multibillionaire with the private resources and name recognition to run his own campaign.

The lack of internal democracy in Canadian political parties is frustrating, as is Canada's complacent smugness about being morally better than the USA, but my God that's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen. "Making politics the plaything of billionaire celebrity capitalists = SELF RULE BY THE PEOPLE!" :downs:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I am biased towards looking at the broader historical trend, rather than a narrow snapshot of the current political situation, but both the US and Canada have generally shifted towards more inclusive democratic systems when choosing representatives and leaders within political parties throughout the 20th century. The United States's political machines are more complex, but are the mercy of a broader range of interests, as we've seen with the GOP-backed candidates get ousted by Tea Party candidates. And the primary system is certainly better than brokered conventions - although the news today was that the GOP is considering a brokered convention - even though that still leaves candidate choice in the hands of a couple of states. On the other hand the electoral college still exists in the 21st century.

Canadian politics were dominated by nepotism, which rather than being seen as political corruption was how politicians did business and how the country was governed. As hilarious as it is to say when our current prime minister is the son of a former prime minister, things are a lot better, given how most parties are improving the ways local candidates are nominated and how leadership conventions are run. Not perfect by any means - given how at least two of the parties have intervened in the nomination of local candidates - but Canadians have a decent amount of say in who represents them, rather than having it decided for them. That's stymied by our FPTP system, but that's not something unique to Canada.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JJ is such a loving embarrassment.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
According to a draft of COP21's final deal, Trudeau's 1.5C snuck in there as a nice to have, which is... shocking.

"Hold the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5C, recognizing that this would significantly reduce risks and impacts of climate change."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada's democrary is broken because we've never quite had a Ross Perot post-war, obviously.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Canada's democrary is broken because we've never quite had a Ross Perot post-war, obviously.

I thought that was Elizabeth May.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
You couldn't make this up if you tried.

quote:

Canada Post on Thursday sent out a letter of its own, delivering a stern rebuke to the government. In it, Sian Matthews, the chair of Canada Post's board of directors, lays out the process by which Chopra was chosen as the company's president.

"The rigorous selection process for this role included an international search conducted by a leading executive search firm," the letter says. "It was advertised publicly, [and was] competitive and merit-based."

Matthews goes on to list Chopra's qualifications for the job, pointing out he was formerly president and CEO for Canada and Latin America at Pitney Bowes, as well as holding several other executive positions at the company over the course of his career.
'Thoughtful leadership'

Matthews also dismissed any suggestion politics had anything to do with Chopra being named Canada Post president.

"He has no political affiliations," she writes.

After praising Chopra for his "thoughtful leadership," which she credits for turning the Crown corporation into "a modern post, meeting both the needs of Canadians and our statutory obligation to be financially self-sufficient," Matthews concludes the letter with a request to the new Liberal government.

"We respectfully ask you to withdraw the Dec. 7, 2015 letter. Responsible leaders, like Mr. Chopra, who commit to public service in this great country, should be celebrated, and not shamed."

Matthews was named to the Canada Post board in 2007 and became chair in 2014. The Liberal Party has, in the past, included her on a list of Conservative insiders who were granted federal appointments.

Matthews has donated to the Conservative Party over the years, and was Stephen Harper's official agent when he was elected as a Reform Party MP in Calgary in 1993. She declined comment to CBC News.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Has nobody reminded the staff of crown corporations that this country is, in fact, a democracy and that you do not talk back to elected officials without damned good reason? And that, further, when it becomes completely impossible to implement their policy, the only honourable thing to do is resign?

Anyway, it's clear that she was given the job as a patronage sinecure and so she should be reminded of parliamentary supremacy with a free trip to the unemployment line.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol the management at canada post is so terrible. it's kind of nice the public is finally getting a taste of it

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Just dump the whole Canada Post board and bring in some people who can modernize it. There's lots of room for improvement and growth and it doesn't need to be union busting or cutting services. The current board was hand picked for a privatization agenda so anything they do is going to be a failure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

David Corbett posted:

Has nobody reminded the staff of crown corporations that this country is, in fact, a democracy and that you do not talk back to elected officials without damned good reason? And that, further, when it becomes completely impossible to implement their policy, the only honourable thing to do is resign?

Anyway, it's clear that she was given the job as a patronage sinecure and so she should be reminded of parliamentary supremacy with a free trip to the unemployment line.

Eh, I think they should talk back to elected officials, and publicly. I am really disturbed by the ability elected officials have to completely overhaul organizations on nothing but a political whim. We're electing them on broad platforms not saying we agree with the minutia of their day to day decisions; there is an assumption that the bureaucracy can to some extent run itself even if the government of the day is incompetent. And thank god that is by and large true because we have had some truly incompetent people represent different departments over the years.

e:

quote:

Matthews was named to the Canada Post board in 2007 and became chair in 2014. The Liberal Party has, in the past, included her on a list of Conservative insiders who were granted federal appointments.

Matthews has donated to the Conservative Party over the years, and was Stephen Harper's official agent when he was elected as a Reform Party MP in Calgary in 1993. She declined comment to CBC News.

That doesn't make what she's saying untrue.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 11, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Deepak can suck a dick. He was chosen to bust the union and get the postal service ready to be privatized. Anyone pretending otherwise is lying. He's always been Harper's puppet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The mere fact that she is a Conservative is a pretty good indicator that she is lying.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw an interesting theory as to why Harper didn't resign from politics today

quote:

In 2004, the Ontario Court of Appeal ruled that MPs are immune from being required to testify while Parliament is in session. The privilege also applies to an MP for 40 days before and after Parliament is in session. For the summer, for instance, that adds up to an 80-day window of parliamentary privilege. Summer recess is typically between 75 and 79 days.
Look for Harper to weasel his way in and out of Parliament until the Duffy trial is a done deal in order to not have to repeat what he has been saying and might be subject to real penalties for perjury."
Now to me, knowing how Harper the Weasel works, this makes perfect sense. We should be used to Harper covering his hiny and denying everything and everyone. Expect Harper to turn up once in a while in the House until the Duffy trial is over.

It popped up when I saw he was trending on Facebook because he showed up at parliament to vote against tax reform.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

That doesn't make what she's saying untrue.

That may be true but can you tell us if you've ever donated to the conservative party so we know if you are a reliable source or not?

The schadenfreude is starting to roll in on the tax cut for people who understand tax brackets . I like it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

The mere fact that she is a Conservative is a pretty good indicator that she is lying.

Either that or that she's dumb enough to believe someone else's lies with 100% conviction.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ikantski posted:

That may be true but can you tell us if you've ever donated to the conservative party so we know if you are a reliable source or not?

The schadenfreude is starting to roll in on the tax cut for people who understand tax brackets . I like it.

:lol:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Somehow I cannot imagine Harper having the willingness to do this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

For all Trudeau's faults, he's doing and saying poo poo Harper or another con wouldn't be caught dead doing. I like it.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
With these Uber protests in Toronto, does anyone else find the media coverage odd? It's all about how the cab drivers failed to sway public opinion in their favour... By blocking traffic. I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to court the public by enraging them, but the media is breathlessly reporting on this as some kind of strategic gaffe, when in fact they forced Tory to do something.

Not that I'm a fan of Toronto cabbies (I use Uber myself), but it seems like no one understands how protests work.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Wasting posted:

With these Uber protests in Toronto, does anyone else find the media coverage odd? It's all about how the cab drivers failed to sway public opinion in their favour... By blocking traffic. I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to court the public by enraging them, but the media is breathlessly reporting on this as some kind of strategic gaffe, when in fact they forced Tory to do something.

Not that I'm a fan of Toronto cabbies (I use Uber myself), but it seems like no one understands how protests work.

Prbly not the soundest comparison but when MTL had a big student protest a few years ago all the media did was talk about how the kids were shooting themselves in their spoiled feet for blocking traffic and inconveniencing the public. The media could not for the life of them connect the goal of the protests with the method.

Than said public annoyances caused the provincial liberals to overreact and kinda lost them the election, while the party *ostensibly* supporting the students won the election. It was basically a protest that managed to reach one of its goals- but the media couldn't let go of the idea that the traffic-clogging was a sort of political and moral suicide.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Apparently there have been non-specific threats made to Canadian cities by ISIS discovered by Swiss authorities.

link

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

crowoutofcontext posted:

The media could not for the life of them connect the goal of the protests with the method.

:eng101: This isn't actually ignorance, it's a tactic to deligitimize whatever the protest was about!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

crowoutofcontext posted:

Prbly not the soundest comparison but when MTL had a big student protest a few years ago all the media did was talk about how the kids were shooting themselves in their spoiled feet for blocking traffic and inconveniencing the public. The media could not for the life of them connect the goal of the protests with the method.

Than said public annoyances caused the provincial liberals to overreact and kinda lost them the election, while the party *ostensibly* supporting the students won the election. It was basically a protest that managed to reach one of its goals- but the media couldn't let go of the idea that the traffic-clogging was a sort of political and moral suicide.

Haha loving quebec students. Good job achieving your goal of getting rid of the provincial liberals.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

lmao this is amazing. "I voted based on a misunderstanding of Liberal policy and now I'm mad that it doesn't help the poor and working class!"

Well no poo poo, Sherlock.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

vyelkin posted:

lmao this is amazing. "I voted based on a misunderstanding of Liberal policy and now I'm mad that it doesn't help the poor and working class!"

Well no poo poo, Sherlock.

Dude is just dealing with the shocking revelation that he is below middle-class in the government's opinion.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sedge and Bee posted:

Apparently there have been non-specific threats made to Canadian cities by ISIS discovered by Swiss authorities.

link

Man I thought I'd completely regret reading the comments but they're a loving throwdown all throughout

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wasting posted:

When people don't agree with peaceful protesters, they complain that they're "blocking traffic." That's all that's going on here. That plus "Drivers traffic hmm maybe there's a point here."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Wasting posted:

You might find yourself enjoying Desmond Cole's editorial in the Star, then.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RBC posted:

Deepak can suck a dick. He was chosen to bust the union and get the postal service ready to be privatized. Anyone pretending otherwise is lying. He's always been Harper's puppet.

This. The entire goal of Chopra's incumbency was to destroy Canada Post. The fact that the CMB conversion was, no word of a lie, put on hold the day after the federal election says all you need to know about where Chopra's orders came from.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

When the protesters are breaking the law people have a right to get mad at them, especially if the cops aren't even writing them tickets for it (e.g., in Ottawa). Not to mention the fact that the cabbies' gripes center mainly around the shittiness of their own industry, for which the private taxi dispatch corporations are to blame, and the illegal activity of uber, which is already being prosecuted... isn't it? In Ottawa they're also mad about the airport rate hike but Transport Canada has double-stamped the pot no gobacksies.

The whole point of inconveniencing people with a protest is to get us to adjust the system to give you what you want. Even if propping up the garbage fire that is the status quo with the taxi industry were a good idea (it's not), there's literally nothing I can do to help. So get the hell off the road, I have a flight to catch.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Christy Clark says B.C. children's ministry to only get more funding if economy grows

Your daily reminder that the premier of BC is a rancid old oval office leading a pack of hyenas. MCFD has been frozen for fifteen loving years.

Announced a $100m corporate welfare package earlier in the week. :fuckoff:

Rime fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Taxis in Toronto drive like complete assholes and continually violate the rules of the road: using merge lanes to pass traffic, failing to signal, performing unsafe maneuvers, overall driving selfishly at the expense of others.

Them complaining about UberX drivers breaking the rules is laughable. I'll shed a tear the day I see a Taxi driving courteously.