Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh boy never look up the k-wing.

It looks like a X-Wing hosed the Enterprise and this is it's abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

phasmid posted:

It's probably not too late if you just stop liking Star Wars.

I have, but now it's the same problem in reverse: I'm squandering all that mental and emotional effort on cynicism and mockery now.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

One thing I think is interesting is that we had a conversation in this thread a while back about the more human side of the Empire and how a lot of them are probably decent folks fooled by propaganda or just looking for a job or a way off their shithole planet or whatever, and Lost Stars actually seems to back that up.
The first film backs this up too. Remember how Luke really wants to be a starfighter pilot and go to the Academy like his friend Biggs? It ain't some secret rebel academy he's talking about. Luke would be a TIE pilot.

There's a cut scene where Biggs the Imperial crewman comes back to visit Tatooine and talks about how he's going to jump ship and join the rebellion.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

In space? Wouldn't the ship have no mass, and any inertia caused would be from the force of its engines firing? In that case you should be able to compensate for virtually any shape/size of ship with proper engine placement, no?

Like AFAIK literally the only reason the space shuttles were shaped the way they were was that they could actually negotiate re-entry into the atmosphere/gravity and glide down after re-entry; aerodynamics kind of goes out the window when you remove the "aero" part of it.

e: I may be confusing mass and weight, I dunno, freshman Physics was a long-rear end time ago
Yup, you are. Things have mass in space. If you have big giant laser cannons and the same engine your ship will be more sluggish because you have more mass to push around for the same amount of thrust. A real spaceship would also have less total ability to change its velocity (whether to accelerate, decelerate, or do whatever, this is called delta-v) if you increased its mass but kept the amount of fuel and the engine the same.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 11, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of like the k-wing but I kind of like spaceships to look dumb and ugly

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

TremorX posted:

..and doing so in the same book with Mr. Bones.

Lost Stars was a good read, though.

Dash and the Outrider get a pass from me because they're so loving good in the X-Wing miniatures game. Sure, I'll take a large ship that can barrel-roll and sit on top of asteroids because gently caress your TIE swarm.

TIL there was a Mister Bones in Star War.

Minstrel shows were a long time ago...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Help me out, is there a Star Wars media that's a bit morally ambiguous? Like the jedi aren't always space jesus and the sith aren't always space hitler?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Help me out, is there a Star Wars media that's a bit morally ambiguous? Like the jedi aren't always space jesus and the sith aren't always space hitler?
New Jedi Order: Traitor (and to a lesser degree, Star Wars: Shatterpoint, by the same author) are what you're looking for.

Also to follow up on this:

Xenomrph posted:

I'm posting from the Awful app or I'd link direct wiki articles, but I always liked the Bantha-class troop carrier assault shuttle from the Rogue squadron comics for being :black101: as gently caress, and there's a little Mon Cal light freighter from the old West End Games RPG that looked sweet.

If we're going snubfighters, TIE Defender 4 lyfe

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bantha-class_assault_shuttle

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DeepWater-class_light_freighter

The book that the Mon Cal freighter is from, 'Stock Ships', had a bunch of cool light freighter designs.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stock_Ships

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Traitor was a pretty good story. It's a shame it got Lucas'd to death though "UH NO THERE'S NO MIDDLE GROUND EVERYONE IS EITHER GOOD OR EVIL"

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Knights of the Old Republic 2

You still fight the bad guy Sith lords throughout the game, and the are bad. But the whole force is basically deconstructed as a terrible thing for the universe. Also the Jedi order is a bunch of hypocritical idiots and the only character with a clear moral purpose is the objectivist witch who tries to use you to end the force as a whole.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 11, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

See this is why Star Wars is better if you just take the first three films, where everything isn't always about the force and sith isn't even a thing. The emperor shoots lightning because he's an evil wizard its a fairy tale in space case closed :colbert:

Stuff like KOTOR does a good job of deconstructing all the ridiculous poo poo and making something compelling out of it, but I'd still prefer it if the ridiculous poo poo was never there at all.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Acne Rain posted:

I kind of like the k-wing but I kind of like spaceships to look dumb and ugly

Me too. It's basically the Star Wars version of the A-10 Warthog, and I love that plane. It's the kind of ship that you use when you really need to gently caress something up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Booblord Zagats posted:

I feel really bad for everyone involved with making a film for Lucas at anypoint after 1987

What've you got against Last Crusade?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Fine, 92

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Knights of the Old Republic 2

You still fight the bad guy Sith lords throughout the game, and the are bad. But the whole force is basically deconstructed as a terrible thing for the universe. Also the Jedi order is a bunch of hypocritical idiots and the only character with a clear moral purpose is the objectivist witch who tries to use you to end the force as a whole.

She's Sith and was lying to you. Congratulations on missing the point. Did you even get to the ending?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sassassin posted:

She's Sith and was lying to you. Congratulations on missing the point. Did you even get to the ending?

To be fair not even the developers got to the ending :haw:

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

sassassin posted:

Wow look how wrong you are.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sassassin posted:

Gizka project retouched the ending a bit to have the elements that were supposed to be included and added a lot of gray to both endings, that said, since SWTOR is the canon ending, it really does go straight back to the didactic scenario you described so I guess you're right

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Would they ever make a Knights of the New Republic and set it in the far future... The year 1982.

Because as we know, all this poo poo happened a long time ago... :smug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ChogsEnhour posted:

Would they ever make a Knights of the New Republic and set it in the far future... The year 1982.

Because as we know, all this poo poo happened a long time ago... :smug:

This is unironically the reason all Wookiepedia articles are written in the past tense so you're not too far off

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The opening flashback was pretty bad. It was really contrived how Indy got his whip, his facial scar, his hat, and his fear of snakes all in the same day. Lucas seemed to think he needed to explain every detail of his backstory rather than leave some things unknown and mysterious. Fortunately he learned from his experience and would never make that mistake again.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Asking for moral ambiguity in star wars is like asking loan sharks to stop charging interest. It's just not in their nature.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

This is unironically the reason all Wookiepedia articles are written in the past tense so you're not too far off

I imagine everyone at wookiepedia is like those hopeless kinds you see in gaming shops. Fatter than a whale, with asthma or skinny as a stick with bad skin and pimples.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

phasmid posted:

Asking for moral ambiguity in star wars is like asking loan sharks to stop charging interest. It's just not in their nature.

I imagine everyone at wookiepedia is like those hopeless kinds you see in gaming shops. Fatter than a whale, with asthma or skinny as a stick with bad skin and pimples.

Hey, I don't have pimples anymore.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hope the new movie goddamn sucks, you nerds

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cram me sideways posted:

hope the new movie goddamn sucks, you nerds

woah. rude.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Kreia is basically the Star Wars version of Garak

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
So I finally got bored enough at work while waiting on hold with someone to read the entire Aurra Sing wookiepedia article. Why does eveyone who's even remotely good at anything have to be Force Sensitive unless they're Corellian or Mandolorian

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or clap.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

effectual posted:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or clap.

It's an expert troll

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's an expert troll

poe's law is in effect

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

i think you missed the point of star wars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Like what? I thought it was just supposed to be as close to the original theatrical release as possible.

Otisburg posted:

I'm curious, too. The one thing that stuck out at me was the weird choice to use literal still frames for some of the static establishing shots, which would have looked a lot less out of the place if some subtle simulated film grain noise were thrown over them. But that was like 9 seconds of a 2 hour runtime.

It's mostly little stuff like adding fingerprints or hairs to frames but there's a few places where they gently caress with colour tone and it looks awful. There's a lot of choices that were just "Well, it was in the version I saw so it must be better that way"

E: Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible or anything but it has some very very questionable choices

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Also the best star fighter is very clearly the B Wing and you'd have to be crazy to say otherwise

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's mostly little stuff like adding fingerprints or hairs to frames but there's a few places where they gently caress with colour tone and it looks awful. There's a lot of choices that were just "Well, it was in the version I saw so it must be better that way"

they specifically show where they make the color tone more accurate to what it would be in reality (because the tone is hosed up in a bunch of releases).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also the best star fighter is very clearly the B Wing and you'd have to be crazy to say otherwise

Actually the correct choice was the A-Wing. Who needs powerful shields and lasers when you're strapped to two oversized engines and can turn on a dime?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i feel like the series itself lost the point of the force a long time ago

"luminous beings are we" and all the other actually mystic feeling stuff was the high point and since the force has just been a video game magic skill tree to invest morality points in.

remember there was moral conflict in that movie. oni wan and luke were at odds with what to do a lot of the time even though neither were evil and n right thing the force said they had to do. you don't have to invent a grey side of the force to have shades of grey.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

sassassin posted:

:cawg:

What an idiot you are

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Otisburg posted:

I bet if I took all the time and brain I spent learning the minutae of science fiction and poo poo, I could have a docterate and speak three languages.

English being one of them I hope.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

Actually the correct choice was the A-Wing. Who needs powerful shields and lasers when you're strapped to two oversized engines and can turn on a dime?

You're both wrong, it's the ship that killed 2 Death Stars and lived on for atleast another 40 years, the X-Wing

Also, Ralph McQuarrie made some amazing art for them to base the aesthetic off of

http://www.starwars.com/news/an-annotated-guide-to-the-star-wars-portfolio-by-ralph-mcquarrie

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Booblord Zagats posted:

You're both wrong, it's the ship that killed 2 Death Stars and lived on for atleast another 40 years, the Millenium Falcon

:confused:

• Locked thread