Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Buy from gogameguru, not amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I haven't played in a really long time, but I've been thinking about starting again for a while, and yesterday I finally signed up on KGS again (I couldn't remember my old login details). Could someone let me into ITGO? My KGS name is "sander".

When I used to play, I looked at http://eidogo.com/ a lot during openings - I actually looked at all the variations and tried to decide which one would be best for me. It was definitely cheating and allowed me to play above my level - I was 7 kyu when I stopped playing, but I'm guessing I would have probably been 10 kyu without it. It did help me learn a few josekis, but mostly, I just became really reliant on it and at some point I didn't feel like I could win at all without having it open in another tab. I don't want to do this anymore - I feel like it would help me progress much faster if I didn't use any kind of external tools to make decisions during games. On the other hand, I feel like I have no idea where to even start learning josekis now. How do you guys do it? Do you just work through books and try to memorize some common ones?

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
Hey Illegal Move, I added you to the access list. Feel free to baduk to your heart's content!

Edit: I'm trying to be more active on KGS again and so if any new players would like help I would be happy to give it when I have time.

elementc fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 2, 2015

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Illegal Move posted:

I haven't played in a really long time, but I've been thinking about starting again for a while, and yesterday I finally signed up on KGS again (I couldn't remember my old login details). Could someone let me into ITGO? My KGS name is "sander".

When I used to play, I looked at http://eidogo.com/ a lot during openings - I actually looked at all the variations and tried to decide which one would be best for me. It was definitely cheating and allowed me to play above my level - I was 7 kyu when I stopped playing, but I'm guessing I would have probably been 10 kyu without it. It did help me learn a few josekis, but mostly, I just became really reliant on it and at some point I didn't feel like I could win at all without having it open in another tab. I don't want to do this anymore - I feel like it would help me progress much faster if I didn't use any kind of external tools to make decisions during games. On the other hand, I feel like I have no idea where to even start learning josekis now. How do you guys do it? Do you just work through books and try to memorize some common ones?

Joseki/opening knowledge is way overrated. I doubt your cheating gained you more than a rank, if that. All of us suck and as soon as any kind of fighting starts we're making game changing mistakes every third move or so. Compared to that, 1 point mistake in joseki is nothing unless you're a strong dan player. Obviously, you should know some very basic joseki, but going out of your way to memorize them is just a waste of time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Learn cool joseki when you don't know how to respond in a corner during a game.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012

Illegal Move posted:

Learn five trick-plays and play nothing else. 5-4 point is good for this. Don't waste time on joseki, you shouldn't trust any joseki you can't remember.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015

Shadonra posted:

Learn five trick-plays and play nothing else. 5-4 point is good for this.

That sounds like a horrible idea too. Learn stuff about the opening and joseki as you like. The main thing is to not go nuts about it and do mostly tsumego instead if you want to improve. You can hardly go wrong with lots of tsumego and tesuji practice.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
whats up with your avs im seeing them everywhere

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

uranus posted:

whats up with your avs im seeing them everywhere

Its the new "stupid newbie" avatar

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think he also means learn how to refute the trick plays when he says to learn them.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.wired.com/2015/12/google-and-facebook-race-to-solve-the-ancient-game-of-go

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

With all of the difficult problems humanity is currently facing and even bigger problems on the horizon, it's reassuring to know that some of our best and brightest minds are hard at work teaching a computer how to win at a 3000 year old board game that only elderly Asian people care about :unsmith:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Today I learned that I am an elderly asian person.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

With all of the difficult problems humanity is currently facing and even bigger problems on the horizon, it's reassuring to know that some of our best and brightest minds are hard at work teaching a computer how to win at a 3000 year old board game that only elderly Asian people care about :unsmith:

the internet as a whole must make you deeply depressed. for example, what with all the man-hours spent obsessing with every goddamn aspect of videogames

AdorableStar posted:

Today I learned that I am an elderly asian person.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
pretend I photoshopped a santa claus beard on your av

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'm a newbie to this and I need a recommendation or two of where to go from here. Now that I've completed "Go 101" or whatever, I'm looking for "Go 102" or "Go 201" or something like that.

Here's where I'm at. I watched these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC3OqLNz6rY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjAO8k_YI8 (as well as the part 2 of it, which I don't feel like copypasting here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVy4XzARaa8 (I tried to watch this one but it was way over my head)

... and I bought a "Go" app on Android to play against the AI. I can beat the AI at difficulty levels 1 and 2... but at a difficulty of level 3 I get blown up every time. I can section off more than half the board, but when the AI starts playing behind my line, I get outplayed hardcore and lose most of my territory after 5~6 turns.

Since the thread title says to ask about the game and whatnot, I figure it'd be best to ask for video recommendations or something.

Every non-"newbie" video or website I find is way over my head, so I feel like there is a big gap in the learning process and I'm lost now.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 11, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Are you ever playing against other people? I'd recommend firing up KGS or using the OGS Web app and play a few games, let the game automatically sort out an appropriate handicap, and see what happens. I feel I learnt more from live games, as it allowed me to try things out and see how a person would react. If you do this on KGS, I'd *highly* recommend that you join our chat channel, the guys there are usually willing to review your games. A couple good reviews of some games will take you further faster

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
play play play play play play play play
then read a book or watch a video
play play playplayplay play.... etc

also check this out if you havent http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

the internet as a whole must make you deeply depressed.

oh it does

Love Stole the Day (lol this username) posted:

Every non-"newbie" video or website I find is way over my head, so I feel like there is a big gap in the learning process and I'm lost now.

come play on KGS, some of us folks are in a channel called itgo. I have nothing to do for the next 12 hours. I will teach you how to be a Go pro. (not the camera, I don't know how to do that)

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Is it just me, or does KGS have less players than it did a few years ago? I've been finding it difficult to quickly find a game on KGS, so I've mostly been playing on online-go.com.

I just had a game where my opponent misread a ladder. For some reason, this just made me really happy:

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 14, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It still happens occasionally at 5k. :getin:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Illegal Move posted:

Is it just me, or does KGS have less players than it did a few years ago? I've been finding it difficult to quickly find a game on KGS, so I've mostly been playing on online-go.com.

I just had a game where my opponent misread a ladder. For some reason, this just made me really happy:

I wonder how many stones before then he realised he was off by one

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

pointsofdata posted:

I wonder how many stones before then he realised he was off by one

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

are you kidding? Go is a notoriously difficult problem. Of course people want tostudy it. It has already had practical and groundbreaking results in probabilistic AI research. you dont shake a tree cause you want to eat the branches, you're after the apples that fall as a result

that was a poo poo metaphor but anyway don't knock obscure scientific research. penzias and wilson found the cosmic microwave background radiation when they cleaned pigeon poo poo off an antenna

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whats up everyone. i havent played a game in over a month probably. time for a new years resolution or something

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
1d

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
7k to 1d in a year... maybe if i didnt have a job

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

totino boy posted:

7k to 1d in a year... maybe if i didnt have a job

resolve to win a game where you tenuki every move.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its great to play a weaker player and tenuki every time so there's tons of unresolved poo poo they can't possibly handle.

Then they ask to review the game and uhhhhh poo poo i gotta go

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
woo

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That book is actually really nice and concise.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wow yeah its really good. already halfway done with it, probably have to read it a few times for full value.

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013
Looking to watch other people chat on kgs and possibly play games.

User name is unusedname.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this was extra satisfying for some reason:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ps that chrome extension is flipping awesome, you can make an animated gif out of any sgf with one click

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Someone play a game that makes dickbutt

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
new years resolution: play 100 live games and post something interesting about each one on the blog i never update. this combined with reading all the books i have sitting around will hopefully get me to the 4 or 3k area by years end.

GO

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

New years resolution: Make 2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

new years resolution: spend more time outside looking into the middle and/or far distance