Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got sorted out for rodigo and made about 25m in 2 hours. Used an asp with 72 cargo space and the rest devoted to fuel tanks, could make the run out there skimming like 3 or 4 stars for fuel. Made about 20m yesterday but it took longer since it was my first time, and i had to buy and outfit the asp and figure out how to safely skim stars.

If you want to really cheese rodigo it looks like you can stock up on an unlimited number of missions by jettisoning your cargo inside the hangar to keep freeing up space to claim new missions.

Then, when you get back to civilized space, can just source all the slaves and other stuff at stations there and deliver them.

The biggest mission i got was almost 6m for 14 or 15 slaves, so theoretically you could run a long jump/lots of fuel ship to get out there, as long as you had about 20 cargo slots to make all the missions claimable.

Do that for an hour or so, grabbing every mission, then zoom back to populated space and spend a bunch of time buying the goods and delivering them.

I jettisoned some cobalt to make room for one more slave mission and it wasnt a problem to just buy some when i got back to pop space.

Anyway im happy! Got like 45m more money, will probably do another 2 hour thing before horizons comes out, will give me a nice cushion for the new power plant for my FDL and to mess around with different guns.

Is it still good money to rank up in avril lavigne faction and shoot space mans at the RES things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

TEAH SYAG posted:

The equivalent of Warp 9.6 (2000c), normal top high warp of the Enterprise D and it still takes the better part of the day to get there.

What bothers me is, it's probably right there relative to the star it's orbiting. Remind me again why we can't witchspace directly to stars within a system in the same way you do to stars out of the system?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

I got sorted out for rodigo and made about 25m in 2 hours. Used an asp with 72 cargo space and the rest devoted to fuel tanks, could make the run out there skimming like 3 or 4 stars for fuel. Made about 20m yesterday but it took longer since it was my first time, and i had to buy and outfit the asp and figure out how to safely skim stars.

If you want to really cheese rodigo it looks like you can stock up on an unlimited number of missions by jettisoning your cargo inside the hangar to keep freeing up space to claim new missions.

Then, when you get back to civilized space, can just source all the slaves and other stuff at stations there and deliver them.

The biggest mission i got was almost 6m for 14 or 15 slaves, so theoretically you could run a long jump/lots of fuel ship to get out there, as long as you had about 20 cargo slots to make all the missions claimable.

Do that for an hour or so, grabbing every mission, then zoom back to populated space and spend a bunch of time buying the goods and delivering them.

I jettisoned some cobalt to make room for one more slave mission and it wasnt a problem to just buy some when i got back to pop space.

Anyway im happy! Got like 45m more money, will probably do another 2 hour thing before horizons comes out, will give me a nice cushion for the new power plant for my FDL and to mess around with different guns.

Is it still good money to rank up in avril lavigne faction and shoot space mans at the RES things?

I was just about to ask if Robigo still worked. Thank you good sir. o7

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cathair posted:

What bothers me is, it's probably right there relative to the star it's orbiting. Remind me again why we can't witchspace directly to stars within a system in the same way you do to stars out of the system?
It's because Frontier knows it bothers you so much, they're trolling you.

They've already acknowledged the situation isn't ideal, they just haven't got around to doing anything about it yet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TEAH SYAG posted:

The equivalent of Warp 9.6 (2000c), normal top high warp of the Enterprise D and it still takes the better part of the day to get there.

The better part of the day is the part not spent travelling to Hutton Orbital.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cathair posted:

"Because a bunch of 40 year olds in a smoke filled back room decided that it wasn't fun and should be in the game. Frontier (more like :frontear: amirite?) actually hates fun so they gleefully went along with it. It's right up there on their wall of accomplishments with solo progress carrying over to open."
:goonsay:

The real reason is that supercruise was added after feedback because people wanted a more immersive experience that conveyed the vastness of space and the result of this is that in a few edge case scenarios you wind up with something like this (actually since Alpha Centauri is hand-crafted I'd wager that it's unique in the simulated Milky Way). Frontier has admitted that it isn't an ideal situation but haven't really discussed ways of fixing it.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
If you are looking for an in-universe explanation, the Frame Shift Drive is new technology and they haven't quite figured out how to make it lock on to anything other than the most dense star of a given system.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've always wondered how the ships dissipate heat in the vacuum of space :ohdear:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the glowy bits.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've always wondered how the ships dissipate heat in the vacuum of space :ohdear:

Infrared radiation, it works, they use it on IRL space stations, but the radiators are loving huge, so space magic.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Space magic I can get down with.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
It works by "99.99% of players don't understand the heat dissipation problem in space so don't give a gently caress"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

All of the ships have animated radiators that will open and close, and/or glow, depending on the ship's heat output.

Example, here's a Cobra running hot, and one running not so hot:

So yeah, it's the glowy bits. Specifically, the red glowy bits.

Additionally, heat output directly correlates with your scanner signature. The more you're radiating, the easier it is for ship scanners to see and lock on to you. This is why sometimes you can't lock ships even though you think they should be within your scanner range, their signature is too low.

Silent running mode works by closing all of your radiators and storing heat internally, reducing your signature to almost nothing. This makes your ship unlockable at certain distances (250 - 500 meters, depending on your size), but it also makes you overheat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When you see the glowy bits go from yellow to white/blueish glow, you're really pushing it :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The real reason is that supercruise was added after feedback because people wanted a more immersive experience that conveyed the vastness of space and the result of this is that in a few edge case scenarios you wind up with something like this (actually since Alpha Centauri is hand-crafted I'd wager that it's unique in the simulated Milky Way). Frontier has admitted that it isn't an ideal situation but haven't really discussed ways of fixing it.

Frontiers own "here's how Supercruise works design wise" post specifically lists jumping to massive bodies like suns and making in-system microjumps. This is a clear case of Frontier development priorities being hosed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DatonKallandor posted:

Frontiers own "here's how Supercruise works design wise" post specifically lists jumping to massive bodies like suns and making in-system microjumps. This is a clear case of Frontier development priorities being hosed.

lol

you act like if they did this you wouldn't find something else to bitch about

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Doesn't make him less right.

I like the idea that it's a new tech that's still be figuring out so there can actually be an evolution of technology as the game progresses. I promise I'm not saying this out of hope for intrasystem autopilot no sir

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm glad we have supercruise. I think it's a lot more fun than, say EVE's microjumps. You're actually piloting your ship while you move from point to point within a system, and you're free to do cool poo poo like buzz planets and moons, and it functions as actually a really good "hub" for more spontaneous content like hunting for smugglers or whatever. It's a way better solution than "eat a sandwich while I traverse this star system by pressing one button every couple minutes."
Our model is also a lot less tedious for long-distance trips, since we can jump between stars by pointing in the right direction, without first having to make like a minute+ trip across the system to the appropriate jumpgate. You several minutes of dicking around are relegated to the end of the trip, when you make the final approach to your target station.

But, having said that, I agree that they should probably give us the ability to do a microjump to any star within a system if we want to, because that final approach really sucks as soon as it exceeds like a couple minutes. This is especially true if I'm doing a trade or smuggle mission, where it's like definitely not very beneficial to check out signal sources that pop up as a break to that "action", because it jeopardizes the cargo.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm glad we have supercruise. I think it's a lot more fun than, say EVE's microjumps. You're actually piloting your ship while you move from point to point within a system, and you're free to do cool poo poo like buzz planets and moons, and it functions as actually a really good "hub" for more spontaneous content like hunting for smugglers or whatever. It's a way better solution than "eat a sandwich while I traverse this star system by pressing one button every couple minutes."
Our model is also a lot less tedious for long-distance trips, since we can jump between stars by pointing in the right direction, without first having to make like a minute+ trip across the system to the appropriate jumpgate. You several minutes of dicking around are relegated to the end of the trip, when you make the final approach to your target station.

But, having said that, I agree that they should probably give us the ability to do a microjump to any star within a system if we want to, because that final approach really sucks as soon as it exceeds like a couple minutes. This is especially true if I'm doing a trade or smuggle mission, where it's like definitely not very beneficial to check out signal sources that pop up as a break to that "action", because it jeopardizes the cargo.

It's fine until you are going to a station and you realize it is 320,000Ls away. Jumps to any star in a system will hopefully come someday.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't think we need in-system autopilot. What I'd want instead is making it easier to not overshoot your destination because the throttle blue-zone usually starts breaking down as you get close/fast.

Loosen up the distance/speed requirement for dropping in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think we need in-system autopilot. What I'd want instead is making it easier to not overshoot your destination because the throttle blue-zone usually starts breaking down as you get close/fast.

Once you get a feel for spiralling in on a target overshooting should only happen if you aren't paying attention really.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol

you act like if they did this you wouldn't find something else to bitch about

I unironically support your posting in this thread

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's also another highlight of the game's amazing sound design. Get to know the sound of your frameshift drive working harder and harder against gravity. When it starts screeching and you get the 'slow down' message it basically loses 'traction' and starts skidding - ie you can't slow down until you get your fsd back under control

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This would be fixed if we could target other gravitational bodies within systems.
Target this giant gravity well vs this other one wow what a fix.

It can't be that'd difficult, then again the 10cr repair bug survived the entire 1.4 cycle so

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DatonKallandor posted:

Frontier also explains all scanning systems literally being worse than a WW2 radar as ~stealth technology~, while allowing long-range cargo scanners. Their "Premier space superiority and assault ships" carry barely enough ammo for a single engagement with no way to resupply without being in a friendly system. The Federation issues smuggling contracts to rank up. Their design fluff really don't mean dick-all when it comes to how the game plays.

I honestly don't even care if there's in-system autopilot. But at least give us the ability to plot multi-destination routes on the galaxy map. This is tech that's existed since "i'll just mapquest it" became a thing. Why is it that in the year 3000-something we can't just plop in a bunch of systems and get a path from a to b to c to d?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Once you get a feel for spiralling in on a target overshooting should only happen if you aren't paying attention really.

It's still not fun at all and requires that weird amount of attention where its not engrossing enough to be fun but not passive enough that you can completely not pay attention

I'd rather it be like a docking computer where once you get < 0.1ls you can switch it on (make it optimal so you weirdos who find it fun can still do it obviously) and it will handle the final deceleration and breaking out of FSD at a safe distance.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Federal endorsed smuggling is probably just sneaky spy types getting you to do their dirty work, but yeah for the rest I got nothing

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My least favorite thing is that if you have a plotted route and you target something else within a system (like scanning a planet for example) you have to go back into the galaxy map just to retarget the next star in the route.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Luneshot posted:

My least favorite thing is that if you have a plotted route and you target something else within a system (like scanning a planet for example) you have to go back into the galaxy map just to retarget the next star in the route.

You should be able to just hit the hotkey for "next routed jump". I have it set to 'O', don't remember if that's the default.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

You should be able to just hit the hotkey for "next routed jump". I have it set to 'O', don't remember if that's the default.

:aaaaa:

drat I wonder what other useful stuff I have unbound.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

I din't know that existed. :doh:

That helps a ton. Thanks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've spend some time in Beta, trying to use my mine launchers as bomb launchers, but sadly Frontier hosed up and it didn't work. Still, here's 40 minutes of me doing nothing much interesting for far too long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobZe-czFDs

My attack run on the prison starts at 30 minutes, if you can't take my aimless bumbling anymore.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

deadly_pudding posted:

This works most of the time, but a good quarter of the time it changes behavior from targeting the station to targeting its parent body.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rah! posted:

:aaaaa:

drat I wonder what other useful stuff I have unbound.

Select Wingman Target is so useful. You have to select them first (by default, 7-8-9-0) then hit it but it's still great and saves time from having to cycle through your targets.

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Saw this tip on Reddit, and it's worked well for me.

1. Bind a key to 75% throttle
2. Go in at full 100% throttle until time to destination drops to 7 seconds, then hit your 75% throttle key
3. Don't touch your throttle again -- drop out of friendship drive when prompted

Btw, is there a recommended load-out for taking on the bigger ships in a Viper or Cobra? I accepted an assassination mission, only to realize later that the target in his Anaconda was basically impervious to the four pulse lasers I had mounted.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Forcyte posted:

Saw this tip on Reddit, and it's worked well for me.

1. Bind a key to 75% throttle
2. Go in at full 100% throttle until time to destination drops to 7 seconds, then hit your 75% throttle key
3. Don't touch your throttle again -- drop out of friendship drive when prompted

This is the beginner version.

Thing with efficient supercruise is adapting throttle % to target distance/speed. Having an analogue throttle helps, but is by no means necessary.

You want to be hitting the 'safe to drop out' speed (bar changes colour) as close as possible to 1MM from target.

Do whatever it takes to get to that point as quickly as possible.

Time to arrival is key. 0:07 is always safe, 0:06 is probably safe in anything that isn't a Type-9 (gently caress that thing), 0:05 is usually good for anything else, but hard to maintain without constant throttle feathering.

Anything 0:04 or less, you need to be in a ship that can pitch worth a dammn, come in fast with planet/moon about 75° above you, and abuse the mass-braking effect.

This is really hard to get right, but very satisfying when you do, and makes the latter part of supercruise a fun challenge.

Forcyte posted:

Btw, is there a recommended load-out for taking on the bigger ships in a Viper or Cobra? I accepted an assassination mission, only to realize later that the target in his Anaconda was basically impervious to the four pulse lasers I had mounted.

You might still be able to take out a lower ranked Anaconda (maybe max master?) in one of those ships, but it has gotten harder. You'll always be able to run away & recharge in a Cobra.

The main problem is you can't do it quickly enough, and if you do enough damage then the enemy ship will just FSD away, and you are too small to lock them.

If you can't afford the biggest A-rated everything, then at least make sure the power distributor is, that's a must.

You probably need to go with 2 small beam lasers to get their shields down, and then 2 ammo-using medium weapons for hull damage. Railguns are the best if you can aim them, or cannons/multi-cannons.

Make sure to target components too - FSD will make sure they can't escape, normal drives will make 'em a sitting duck, and the power plant is still a good choice.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
In my opinion, that thing they use for wing member nav locks that auto drags you in when you're 5s away, they should use that for nav locking anything

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
One thing that's been confusing me, when you have a mission that requires you to be allied, is that to the station or a faction?

Also noting that Pratchett's Disc doesn't really work as a Robigo alternative. You might get one smuggling mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

WebDog posted:

One thing that's been confusing me, when you have a mission that requires you to be allied, is that to the station or a faction?

Also noting that Pratchett's Disc doesn't really work as a Robigo alternative. You might get one smuggling mission.

It's for the faction offering the mission.

• Locked thread