Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't blame him, and good on him for admitting that this would just cause another delay. I hope it does lead to more stable updates as he stated.

Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Someone else said it before, but he should take some time off from scheduled updates to build up a buffer. That way a busy week won't make him late on updates. Just spend a month or two making comics and not putting them up, then back to the regular release schedule and basically make comics when time allows. Got a busy week? Eat into the buffer. Got a week where you're pretty free? Spend some extra time making comics to add to the buffer.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I wish he would move to one update a week. It would be easier on him and his wrist, readers wouldn't get the disappointment of a missed update, he could possibly build up a buffer for the weeks when he does have the time, and there's just the perception of missed updates.

I'm perfectly fine with the updates as is, but it seems like a lot of times when he's missing updates, it's because of his busy schedule or his wrist is hurting. It might just be beneficial to him to go to a thinner update schedule. I dunno, man.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rotten Cookies posted:

I wish he would move to one update a week. It would be easier on him and his wrist, readers wouldn't get the disappointment of a missed update, he could possibly build up a buffer for the weeks when he does have the time, and there's just the perception of missed updates.

I'm perfectly fine with the updates as is, but it seems like a lot of times when he's missing updates, it's because of his busy schedule or his wrist is hurting. It might just be beneficial to him to go to a thinner update schedule. I dunno, man.

I agree. Much as I want to see two updates per week, we're getting such an inconsistent update schedule right now that I'm expecting to be disappointed each time we're supposed to be getting a comic, which is never a good thing. I'm totally cool with him doing an update a week, but he should be striving to under-promise and over-deliver, instead of the other way around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yeah, same here. I'd prefer a Tuesday only comic that was up every Tuesday from now until it's finished over a sometimes twice a week comic that ends abruptly because his wrist exploded.

Also basic human empathy is another good reason for the pro-wrist stance.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think the healthiest thing to do would be to go on hiatus when this chapter's over and build a big buffer.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I while I'm disappointed by this week, he should do what he needs/wants to do. That said, if I was him, I'd consider doing what Ashley Cope and others do and just take a break over the holiday months. I'd think it would be healthier for his peace of mind.

Ahh well, see you all next week.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 11, 2015

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
If there's a time the dude could go on a hiatus, it's during the holiday season. Even if it's just a hiatus to rest ye olde wrist.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I will never understand the logic of wanting consistency so much that you'd be willing to cut output in half to get it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

I will never understand the logic of wanting consistency so much that you'd be willing to cut output in half to get it.

Well it's the same either way isn't it? Half output consistent, or full output with missed updates that results in about as much comic as half output.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Is it really cutting output in half if the output isn't 100% to begin with? Also, there were other reasons stated for a weekly vs biweekly schedule.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

readingatwork posted:

Because in practice it ends up being the same amount of content.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also twice a week in theory, once a week in practice with maybe a bit more if he physically hurts himself is the kind of thing that leads to zero comics a week.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, is anyone gonna email him asking him to pace himself a bit better? There's lots of good reasons why he should right here in the thread, but the way he carries himself, I don't think he's even considered it yet.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

So, is anyone gonna email him asking him to pace himself a bit better? There's lots of good reasons why he should right here in the thread, but the way he carries himself, I don't think he's even considered it yet.

Eh, I'd feel very weird/wrong e-mailing trying to advise him what to do with his own comic. Plus, last time this discussion cropped up, it was because people were giving him a bit of crap on social media, so he might not be that receptive to suggestions about his schedule.

Hopefully someone has suggested some of the things we've talked about here, but I'd say leave it to here.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Eh, I'd feel very weird/wrong e-mailing trying to advise him what to do with his own comic.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it yet. :sweatdrop:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't email Zach you fuckin' weirdos. Check for updates and if there isn't one, check again the next day. This isn't difficult, people.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

neogeo0823 posted:

I've tweeted him a couple times, when he's apologized for missing an update, suggesting he try for a buffer and/or cut it to one 'cause we all wouldn't mind. I think he's aware it's an option, but he's both afraid of disappointing people with those changes (even though it'd be less than current) and honestly too excited for things he has planned to slow down.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Don't email Zach you fuckin' weirdos. Check for updates and if there isn't one, check again the next day. This isn't difficult, people.

Hey, if he's got a Paranatural-associated email, then do email him, but only to tell him that you appreciate his work and you're really enjoying the comic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I will email him telling him about the goons who said not to email him and explain how like Zach himself I am a rebel who follows no rules

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would angrily email him about the lack of a Max T-Shirt line.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good news, hitball was only half of chapter 5. the jaya to the upcoming skypeia

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
New double-page. Please comb it for your favourite detail. This is mine:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
That's fine and all, but this is without a doubt the best detail:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Who is Flavors?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Who is Flavors?

Jeff(avorite) Flavors.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Not really a detail, but I love how Violet shoves 2-3 people out of the way in order to keep talking to Jeff as he's walking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Team Johnny working in perfect sync to take out someone trying to muscle in on Johnny's bully monopoly and get him in place for a final sideways comment. With perfect hair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Team Johnny working in perfect sync to take out someone trying to muscle in on Johnny's bully monopoly and get him in place for a final sideways comment. With perfect hair.

I like that R.J. is the one who sends his rear end flying while burly Olly just holds up a mirror for Johnny's hairstylin'.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are so many great little details in this.

...And then there's Cody. I feel really bad for Jeff. And Cody, really.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Johnny is so tsundere

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Last Visible Dog posted:

Not really a detail, but I love how Violet shoves 2-3 people out of the way in order to keep talking to Jeff as he's walking.

I'm having trouble figuring out what her angle on that is.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out what her angle on that is.

Maybe she has a crush on Jeff. Iunno. Maybe she just feels bad that everyone was ganging up on him?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cody is a sore loser.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rotten Cookies posted:

Maybe she has a crush on Jeff. Iunno. Maybe she just feels bad that everyone was ganging up on him?

Or he's one of only three people she regularly hangs out with.

From what little we've seen of mayview nobody's really unfriendly as such but it does look cliquey as heck.

e/ also this is the anime-est school so literally everybody would die for anyone in their immediate social circle

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

As far as Violet can tell, a bullied kid just had a breakdown and lashed out at all the jerks who picked on him. Now he's going to get in trouble with his peers, the school, and his parents, all because the school doesn't give a poo poo about bullying. She sympathizes, and since she's the one who got Coach Oop, she's the one who got her friend in trouble, so she feels really guilty.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My favorite is Collin's reaction.

My favorite is always Collin.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gotta love the details Zack gives to background characters. The twin brothers are having a tearful reunion. haha. Poor Violet, I know she's trying to cheer up Jeff, but I"m pretty sure seeing one of your best friends (Cody) look away at you in disgust/anger really stings.

Funny seeing Dimitri back to being his old self. It's gonna be hard to see him being that laid back kid after seeing how he really is.

Johnny ain't being a tsundere, he's still posing for the mirror. Gotta love that the walk ends with both Team Leaders at the end.

edit: looking more, RJ has freakish strength. They didn't just grab that wannabe Bully. They threw his rear end off the panel.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

On one hand, I'm really worried about how Jeff is gong to be treated by the school from now on. On the other hand, I really want Zack to commit to the school hating Jeff and I can't explain why. It'd be interesting, I guess. Consequences for actions and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is actually a really good bit to end Hitball with, and I take back anything I might've implied earlier that could've been critical - Hitball forever.

I keep getting the impression like Violet's going to be a bigger character than some of the other kids, but she might just be part of the not-Spectral classmate supporting class like Lisa, Jeff and Cody. We'll probably see more of the Student Council as minor antagonists after Max, and speaking of, Suzy wasted no time in reminding the reader of her whole blackmail-Max-for Activity-Club-secrets plot. Wonder how he'll get out of that one?

Dmitri seems like he might be looking to get a word in. Hitball certainly gave him a chance to shine, hopefully we'll learn more about his deal soon.

And Johnny. My god, Johnny, so good. Dude can't have other bullies muscling in on his turf. I wish I'd had bullies of such class and professionalism back in elementary school.