Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
OK that's not as steep as I thought it would be so maybe he's legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

you know what must be done, son

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
What's the point of the single-handed sword for the Empire Soldier? Is there a playstyle thing here that I'm missing? Using the two-handed sword or the sword and shield seems almost objectively better....

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Fetterkey posted:

What's the point of the single-handed sword for the Empire Soldier? Is there a playstyle thing here that I'm missing? Using the two-handed sword or the sword and shield seems almost objectively better....

Look at the stats, they are different?

I think the arming sword is like using the rapier for the witch hunter, relatively fast and good to use to dodge around stabbing things.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Literally any weapon can be used, it's solely about playstyle and your team role. If you have a pushy shield dwarf then they need you more on murder duty than crowd control. If you're on a team without a dwarf then it's likely you're on the frontline role. In an ideal world you have weapon sets for each style to change out when the mission starts, hence the item box at each level's spawn.

Having said that, I really like 2H hammer soldiers if they know how to line up their AOE. Combining knockback with that much kill power is essential past Hard.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 10, 2015

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

It might be just a feeling, but I thought using one made you move slightly faster than if you had a two hander or sword and board.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ArkInBlack posted:

It might be just a feeling, but I thought using one made you move slightly faster than if you had a two hander or sword and board.

They said that in the description on the website, but I don't think it is true. The single sword does have a different heavy attack if nothing else.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ArkInBlack posted:

It's probably faster while blocking, like the elfs daggers. However, I don't think I've ever used the arming sword outside the Inn, because if I wanted to play fast and stabby, I'd play either elf or witchhunter.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

I dont know posted:

They said that in the description on the website, but I don't think it is true. The single sword does have a different heavy attack if nothing else.
Correct, the difference in 1H and 1H+shield is solely in the charged attack: shields tend to do a weaker, wide AOE attack with knockback, while 1H alone is usually a strong armor penetrating single target attack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZobarStyl posted:

Correct, the difference in 1H and 1H+shield is solely in the charged attack: shields tend to do a weaker, wide AOE attack with knockback, while 1H alone is usually a strong armor penetrating single target attack.

The 1H sword also has Headshot on charged attack, so if you aim it well it'll send a bunch of rat noggins flying.

The 1H sword is basically the Wizard's longsword.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Look at the stats, they are different?

I think the arming sword is like using the rapier for the witch hunter, relatively fast and good to use to dodge around stabbing things.

The arming sword isn't nearly as fast as the rapier and it has no stab so I'm not sure where you're going with this. When there's not a huge number of rats in front of you it can kill faster because of its better combo and more damaging charge attack, but it's way worse than a shield when you need to control a bunch of rats. Which is the much more important situation.

The lower damage on the shield hardly even matters because you can just stunlock any number of things forever until they die. In general I'd say the arming sword is the most useful of the 4 shieldless versions of weapons but it's still a tough sell because shields are so unbelievably good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kitchner posted:

Yeah but it used to only need 1 full tomes and grimoire mission to level up now it's 3ish.

Even if this remained the same it would be 6 missions per level by level 100.

They would need easily a couple of hundred hours logged, which is do-able of course, just think a cheat engine is way more likely.

I dont think tomes or grimoires affect the exp you get.

You get a base amount for finishing the mission.
You get bonus for difficulty.
And you get a bonus for having no one dead when you leave.

There was this one time I gave myself 99 tomes and I gained 16 lvls. I wasn't about to reproduce it though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tomes give you exp for each one you get as it tells you directly on the end of level screen. Probably has sanity checking so you can't cheat a million exp for a group using them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The larger issue is that your game will crash if you have more than 7 bonus dice, so 99 tomes will absolutely cause your game to throw up. This might be after it has already given you the ludicrous amount of XP, though, I haven't tried it because levels are meaningless past the trinket unlock slots. That said, if you cheat in 7 tomes, it will give you XP for all of them and it will work fine.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The arming sword isn't nearly as fast as the rapier and it has no stab so I'm not sure where you're going with this. When there's not a huge number of rats in front of you it can kill faster because of its better combo and more damaging charge attack, but it's way worse than a shield when you need to control a bunch of rats. Which is the much more important situation.

The lower damage on the shield hardly even matters because you can just stunlock any number of things forever until they die. In general I'd say the arming sword is the most useful of the 4 shieldless versions of weapons but it's still a tough sell because shields are so unbelievably good.

The direction I was going in was:

"Its relatively fast and is used to dodge around and stab things"

Which is what I said in my post. This is basically what you do with the rapier.

You then followed up with post explaining it is the fastest soldier weapon and you use it for fighting small groups of rats, presumably dodging a lot.

So yes I'm aware it's not "exactly the same" as the rapier, which is why I said "similar".

If you have any future difficulties distinguishing between the use of the phrase "similar to" and "identical to" let me know and I'll clarify further.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kitchner posted:

The direction I was going in was:

"Its relatively fast and is used to dodge around and stab things"

Which is what I said in my post. This is basically what you do with the rapier.

You then followed up with post explaining it is the fastest soldier weapon and you use it for fighting small groups of rats, presumably dodging a lot.

So yes I'm aware it's not "exactly the same" as the rapier, which is why I said "similar".

If you have any future difficulties distinguishing between the use of the phrase "similar to" and "identical to" let me know and I'll clarify further.

Considering you were highlighting the speed and specifically said "stabbing," I don't really understand why you're being so condescending. Maybe take a break and breathe for a bit before posting next time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like the rapier because when someone else is playing as the witch hunter and is using it you can just watch him sort of flail in the general direction of a bunch of rats and then all their heads suddenly and spontaneously fly off.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Considering you were highlighting the speed and specifically said "stabbing," I don't really understand why you're being so condescending. Maybe take a break and breathe for a bit before posting next time.

I said it was "relatively fast" since it's the fastest weapon the Soldier can get, I think this is a fair assessment. I did not say "fastest weapon in the game" or even "as fast as the rapier". Just "relatively fast" which it is.

As for the "stabbing" comment I think you're taking my comment too literally, I meant "killing rats with the weapon". If you insist on being pedantic over what I meant by "running around stabbing things" since the rapier doesn't exclusively "stab" and I'm 99% sure the sword doesn't exclusively "slash" it doesn't really help you out here buddy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are you alright

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Are you alright

Yes, thank you for asking. I'm glad we're friends now you've stopped being condescending in your posts over pedantic wording.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kitchner posted:

I said it was "relatively fast" since it's the fastest weapon the Soldier can get, I think this is a fair assessment. I did not say "fastest weapon in the game" or even "as fast as the rapier". Just "relatively fast" which it is.

As for the "stabbing" comment I think you're taking my comment too literally, I meant "killing rats with the weapon". If you insist on being pedantic over what I meant by "running around stabbing things" since the rapier doesn't exclusively "stab" and I'm 99% sure the sword doesn't exclusively "slash" it doesn't really help you out here buddy.

So you're just incapable of not sounding like a hostile, salty nerd. Ok, now I know. Won't touch that poop again.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Jesus Christ, what is this, a loving League of Legends forum?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Boooooo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Boo these men.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can someone help me understand why I would ever want to take the axe on the Witch Hunter instead of a rapier? The axe does slightly more damage yes but it can't hit more than one guy ever, and 95% of the time in this game you're facing multiple enemies at once.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Can someone help me understand why I would ever want to take the axe on the Witch Hunter instead of a rapier? The axe does slightly more damage yes but it can't hit more than one guy ever, and 95% of the time in this game you're facing multiple enemies at once.

It does a ton of damage to Roger and it's great against specials and stormvermin, and it's really satisfying to harvest rodent heads one after another.

I think it's his weakest weapon, too, but it's definitely doable with some practice at pushing or blocking. Ask me about the long time where the axe was the only WH weapon the game would roll for me!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The axe on Witch Hunter is an active choice of "I'm going to be a little less effective the whole level, and not good for hordes, but when I see roger I'm going to gently caress him up."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Chomp8645 posted:

The axe on Witch Hunter is an active choice of "I'm going to be a little less effective the whole level, and not good for hordes, but when I see roger I'm going to gently caress him up."

And gently caress stormvermin while I'm at it. That's also worth noting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The axe is also a real can opener on stormvermin, so if you're expecting an unusual number of those it can be a good pick.

Basically the axe is to melee weapons what the handgun is to ranged weapons. Are you going to do amazing against the 99%? No, of course not. But you will blast some bougie bitches like nobody's business. It would make a lot more sense if Saltzpyre's pistol brace was easier to get head shots with, so you could effectively handle hordes with your ranged option and go melee for specials (the opposite of what Kruber and Bardin do).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The problem is that the rapier is above average at damaging one target too. Not as good as the axe but close enough that its better utility in all other cases makes it the better weapon. When comparing a top-tier rapier and axe side by side it doesn't get much better--Both my orange rapier and orange axe have heroic killing blow on the charge attack, but the rapier's is so much faster that it's much more likely to make it trigger. I can't think of a set of perfect traits that would make the axe much more usable.

These are the weapons I'm thinking should probably be buffed:

-All 4 shieldless versions of weapons for bardin and kruber
-Blunderbuss
-Grudge raker
-Witch hunter axe
-Repeater pistol
-Both swiftbows
-Fireball staff

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

The axe is also a real can opener on stormvermin, so if you're expecting an unusual number of those it can be a good pick.

Basically the axe is to melee weapons what the handgun is to ranged weapons. Are you going to do amazing against the 99%? No, of course not. But you will blast some bougie bitches like nobody's business. It would make a lot more sense if Saltzpyre's pistol brace was easier to get head shots with, so you could effectively handle hordes with your ranged option and go melee for specials (the opposite of what Kruber and Bardin do).

Ok interesting. I suppose if you won the lottery and rolled a brace of pistols with something like Rupture, Targeteer, and +Ammo capacity or maybe Headcracker then that would be a viable and hilarious build. You might need to coordinate with your party though so they don't also bring ammo-hungry ranged weapons.

Chomp8645 posted:

I dunno, the axe might be better on Roger than the rapier is, but the brace of pistols is loads better than either, unless you're hoping for a heroic killing blow, in which case the rapier still wins out.

-All 4 shieldless versions of weapons for bardin and kruber
-Blunderbuss
-Grudge raker
-Witch hunter axe
-Repeater pistol
-Both swiftbows
-Fireball staff

While we're wishing I think crossbows could stand a buff as well. They seem pretty much worse than the handgun in every meaningful way - I don't know why I'd ever bring a crossbow while playing as Bardin.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 11, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hope there is a new L4D soon. Too much melee that is aggravating.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I love the WH axe and I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.

I find that too often with the rapier, while I can totally dance with it and set up little chain attacks with it, there's nobody protecting my flank and inevitably it breaks my momentum. The axe packs a little bit more oomph.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Grondoth posted:

Boo these men.

Boooo!

Also this game is fun and I like it more than Fallout 4.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Mzbundifund posted:

Ok interesting. I suppose if you won the lottery and rolled a brace of pistols with something like Rupture, Targeteer, and +Ammo capacity or maybe Headcracker then that would be a viable and hilarious build. You might need to coordinate with your party though so they don't also bring ammo-hungry ranged weapons.

I dunno, the axe might be better on Roger than the rapier is, but the brace of pistols is loads better than either, unless you're hoping for a heroic killing blow, in which case the rapier still wins out.

While we're wishing I think crossbows could stand a buff as well. They seem pretty much worse than the handgun in every meaningful way - I don't know why I'd ever bring a crossbow while playing as Bardin.

crossbow more reliably overpenetrates and reloads quick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The fast reload helps with follow up shots and the overpenetration lets it kill 6 or so normal rats before the clash, or shoot through enemies who are blocking the way to a special.

A Master-Crafted orange crossbow is a helluva thing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh ok. I didn't realize the crossbow was able to penetrate more than one rat before ending, is that a function of the weapon tier? I haven't gotten an orange one. That adds significant utility to it.

Also I love how Saltzpyre and Fuegonasus are grumpy old people who dislike each other violently but get along because they both hate rats more. Elf aside they really nailed the characterization in this game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It is not a function of weapon tier, though obviously the increased damage of higher tiers makes it geometrically more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh ok. I didn't realize the crossbow was able to penetrate more than one rat before ending, is that a function of the weapon tier? I haven't gotten an orange one. That adds significant utility to it.

Also I love how Saltzpyre and Fuegonasus are grumpy old people who dislike each other violently but get along because they both hate rats more. Elf aside they really nailed the characterization in this game.

Are you kidding me? Those two are pretty much making bedroom eyes at each other. There's probably already fan-fiction about them somewhere.

• Locked thread