Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I honestly am trying to figure out a reason not to buy the Japanese Tiger when it goes on sale for 30% off, especially since I'll be buying the CDC. Sure, the Japanese heavies look really kitschy, and I'll likely never go past the T6 if I ever start playing again, but still. vOv

Also, kind of glad I just remembered to buy discounted camo for the Kinguin Double Hitler I bought months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The big question of the UK medium line has always been how badly someone hates mediocre soft stats/bad turret bloom, and the question became more pressing as you went up the line. The Comet is literally the only tank in the line that's comparatively low on pen but high on quality of life with 12 degrees depression, a stable turret and a vertical stabilizer.

Sure the Cromwell has bad gun handling and because it goes really fast its track bloom problem is exaggerated, but in a tier where really only the E8 and A-43 have the stats to fire on the move it doesn't matter much, the Cromwell is awesome. Good pen for a tier6 medium as well!

Comet has the most stable turret of any UK medium (now tied with Cent Action X!) and its mediocre tracks are propelled ahead of everything but the T20 because it gets vert stab early. Some folks don't like tiny alpha at tier7 but the Comet is p. cool.

Centurion I is an exercise in how much crap you're willing to put up with to have a heavy's penetration on a tier8 medium. The tank is huge, the module layout can be annoying, it has a low speed cap, and it has the worst turret bloom in the line yet, which is aggravating because most other lines start getting better stats as they go up. Its tracks are also close to worst in tier but since it doesn't go that fast anyway and its gun has 2.3 aim time it still manages to handle the gun slightly more competently than the Type 59 does. Its dpm is also lovely but the high pen ensures fewer bounces as long as you remember to wait up for your lovely turret bloom.

The Cent 7/1 obviously improves a lot of things over the Cent I, and it looks much sexier, but it has even worse turret bloom, second worst in tier after the ST-I, and the ST-I's turret only moves at half the speed.

Tier9 is also the tier where other medium lines with previously mediocre gun handling (T-44 has a worse gun and its soft stats weren't that much better than the Cent I's, German mediums only got better at gun handling than Brits at all at tier8) start being really smooth to operate too (T-54 and E-50 are leagues ahead of previous tanks in the lines in terms of fire control), so the gulf really opens up here. Plus, the Cent 7/1 also takes comparatively long to reload, again, you can hopefully make up for this with the high pen to bounce less. However, in its tier, the Centurion 7/1's armor is generally a little more reliable extension of your hitpoints than can be said for the M46 or the Cent's fellow lovely NATO support snipers, so there is that. There's a massive survivability gap between 7/1 and the PTA/30B/Type 61/Lorraine even after they took the HD hammer to the Cent 7/1's turret.

Being able to bounce something every so often is still better than pretty much never bouncing anything.

I was all set to wash my hands off the line because I'm not willing to make that many sacrifices just for maximum penetration, and now I come back to the game and the CAX actually looks kind of good?

I mean, with soft stats as good as the tier8 Pershing, it absolutely beats the crap out of previous UK mediums in terms of quality of life, the Action X turret looks way cooler than the previous tier10 ever did, and it's not shackled to a 40 kph speed limit or crap dpm!

I want it :smith:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly am trying to figure out a reason not to buy the Japanese Tiger when it goes on sale for 30% off, especially since I'll be buying the CDC. Sure, the Japanese heavies look really kitschy, and I'll likely never go past the T6 if I ever start playing again, but still. vOv

Also, kind of glad I just remembered to buy discounted camo for the Kinguin Double Hitler I bought months back.

I was and am really tempted, and its track bloom is nice for tier, but 0.20 turret bloom is loving wretched in any tier - that's the turret bloom you get on things like ARL 44 with DCA 45 super long gun, KV-85 with 122mm or T-150, and at least those guns pen poo poo without slinging gold. The short 88 on a heavy tank in no way deserves turret dispersion that crippled, come on, Wargaming :colbert:

Turret bloom is the most important quality of life stat for me since I don't just sit in the back somewhere and wait for tanks to bungle into my line of fire.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 11, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
False alarm on the premature countdown for the 'Reindeer' tanks. It returned to 24h when the timer reached zero.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
At what time have the christmas premium tank discounts started in the past? Gonna need to dump all the gold that came with the horrible tanks I bought and wont play any games in.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Are you on the US server? If so just read the news:
http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/december-2015/

If you are on EU, who knows? But maybe next week/weekend since this weekend's special is called the calm before the storm (and is AMAZINGLY lovely).

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Psykmoe posted:

The big question of the UK medium line has always been how badly someone hates mediocre soft stats/bad turret bloom and awful module layouts, and barely adequate armor, and the question became more pressing as you went up the line.

:words:

Thanks for countering Desuwa's obsessive Brit Medium fanboyism and reminding us that the Cent 1 and Cent 7/1 are loving trash tanks and the high points in the line are in fact the Cromwell and Comet. I would have done it, but you wrote far more words in a more balanced manner than I would have, so maybe you won't spend 2 pages arguing with him like I did last time.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It should be said, for anyone else, that even though the page says these things will be available until the 12th, the Premium Store page says, at the time of this post, that the T-28 F30 deal will expire in ~6h.

The Cromwell B is a fantastic loving tank, but it does suffer from the whole 'who gives a gently caress about UK mediums' thing.

The T-25 plays like a weird T-34 with stiff steering. I always did exceptionally well in it, even after T7 became much more broad and 'power creepy.' As for the T-15...it's an alright tank, but you honestly need to play light tanks in a platoon or it's a waste of time, and by extension, a waste of money if you've got a tank sitting in your garage that's only worthwhile if 1) people are willing to play with a T4 light tank instead of grinding higher tiers, and/or 2) keep in mind you'll be training crews for a line that currently tops out at T8, and the RU251 trains crews perfectly fine *in* the RU251.
I think Tsurupettan might be propelled by my advice to get 6th sense and camo before really giving lights a fair shake. Would you play the spic or the rutwo without sixth sense?

The T15 is like the locust and the tetrarch in that it can be worked like a much higher tier tank with an ok mantlet, good depression and damage application, good mobility. It's exactly the kind of tank I feel I benefit little from platooning with.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Just finished my T-34-85 grind to the T-43. 34-85 was a good tank. Thinking about selling it and snagging a Rudy.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a good idea.

I keep my T-34-85 around like it's a museum piece, though. Still my most played tank.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's a good idea.

I keep my T-34-85 around like it's a museum piece, though. Still my most played tank.

Yea, keep your T-34-85 to play with, swap the crew back and forth from the Rudy.

It's what I would do, so jealous over here.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Make sure to get a T-28E F30 as a retirement home for obsolete radiomen as well.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Psykmoe posted:

Make sure to get a T-28E F30 as a retirement home for obsolete radiomen as well.

Did playing it with me last night bring you around to liking it in a weird abomination sort of way?

I am still pissed that my impatience cost us the game even after I had 7 kills....

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
What gun am I meant to be using on the VK 30.02D?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Short 88 and LOTS of APCR.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

Just loaded up my first game in with 10 APCR and promptly ate through all of that in the first few minutes. Yep, definitely need some ACPR.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Really? People said the same thing about the long 88 on the Jg.Pz.IV and it's my favorite Tier VI TD while running that gun. Pack 10 APCR for emergencies and that's it. How are the German 88 guns viewed as so bad? I've never seemed to have an issue.

Any tips for a fresh T-43?

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 11, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
When you tank (pun) your stats and have thousands of battles it's hard as poo poo to repair them. I've been playing pretty well (something like 53%) the last thousand or so battles and I've only improved my win rate a whopping .7%.

I don't even want to do the math to see the amount of time it would take to get myself back to the 51% I was at when I started... gently caress I just did it in my head...

It's probably a good thing I don't give a poo poo what color I am.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

ZombieLenin posted:

When you tank (pun) your stats and have thousands of battles it's hard as poo poo to repair them. I've been playing pretty well (something like 53%) the last thousand or so battles and I've only improved my win rate a whopping .7%.

I don't even want to do the math to see the amount of time it would take to get myself back to the 51% I was at when I started... gently caress I just did it in my head...

It's probably a good thing I don't give a poo poo what color I am.

Pretty well. 53%.

Reds will be reds.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Really? People said the same thing about the long 88 on the Jg.Pz.IV and it's my favorite Tier VI TD while running that gun. Pack 10 APCR for emergencies and that's it. How are the German 88 guns viewed as so bad? I've never seemed to have an issue.

Any tips for a fresh T-43?

Well, 132mm silver pen on a tier7 medium or a tier6 TD are both bottom of the barrel for class/tier and these vehicles were around long before you could buy premium shells with silver, and when matchmaking went up to +3 or worse, so the pen problem was a big issue that could regularly lose you fights and games.

I enjoyed the JP4 pretty well and love my VK3002DB but without premium shells they'd be frustrating as poo poo. And way back in caveman time the 7,5cm L70 only had 135mm pen so you couldn't even escape the misery that way.

For the T-43? Play it kind of like the VK3002D except softer and with less alpha, I guess. You have the same depression and can use the same spots on the map. The T-43 is generic as hell but functional :effort: I recall some pretty bad module damage issues too, frontal fuel tanks maybe?

Blindeye posted:

Did playing it with me last night bring you around to liking it in a weird abomination sort of way?

I am still pissed that my impatience cost us the game even after I had 7 kills....

I warned you, bro :negative:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2015

West007
Apr 21, 2013

The last 1000 battles I've played at or above my average and still tanked my win rate by 0.4%, joys of this game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Psykmoe posted:

I warned you, bro :negative:

When I saw the Hetzer turn to his right away I thought I could catch his mistake.

I was so wrong :negative:.

I think tonight I am going to keep playing the sonofabitch until I am satisfied I can do more than rack up lots of damage.

...and train my T-34-85 crew up back up to 100% after retraining for the T-43.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

Tier9 is also the tier where other medium lines with previously mediocre gun handling (T-44 has a worse gun and its soft stats weren't that much better than the Cent I's, German mediums only got better at gun handling than Brits at all at tier8) start being really smooth to operate too (T-54 and E-50 are leagues ahead of previous tanks in the lines in terms of fire control), so the gulf really opens up here. Plus, the Cent 7/1 also takes comparatively long to reload, again, you can hopefully make up for this with the high pen to bounce less. However, in its tier, the Centurion 7/1's armor is generally a little more reliable extension of your hitpoints than can be said for the M46 or the Cent's fellow lovely NATO support snipers, so there is that. There's a massive survivability gap between 7/1 and the PTA/30B/Type 61/Lorraine even after they took the HD hammer to the Cent 7/1's turret.

I prefer the gun handling on the Cent7 to the one on the T-54. Sure, turret bloom is worse, but pen and shell speed makes up for it.
The T-54 feels like it is lobbing softballs when you shoot stuff. The Cent7 as well have good gun depression which makes up for a lot in gun handling.
I would rank pen, accuracy, aim time and gun depression as more important than turret bloom.

Speaking of the T-54, I have realized that I dont particularly like it. It is not that I do bad in it, just that it feels rather meh.
While it is great versus tier7-9s, the gun is frustrating at times with the low shell speed and needing a fairly massive amount of HEAT.
The meh depression is another reason why I like the M46 and the Cent7 better.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Pretty well. 53%.

Reds will be reds.

53% over the last thousand or so. 58% over the last couple hundred; however, we cannot all be unicoms. It's like capitalism, if everyone to actually be rich and succeeded the entire system would cease to exist.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

ZombieLenin posted:

we cannot all be unicoms.

At least you know your limitations :)

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

53% over the last thousand or so. 58% over the last couple hundred; however, we cannot all be unicoms. It's like capitalism, if everyone to actually be rich and succeeded the entire system would cease to exist.

Not everyone can also learn to pronounce "Grille" but don't let that stop you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ZombieLenin posted:

When you tank (pun) your stats and have thousands of battles it's hard as poo poo to repair them.

Yeah, botting really lowers your stats.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
jesus christ nobody gives a gently caress about win rates, colors, or whatever. shut the gently caress up

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Agrajag posted:

jesus christ nobody gives a gently caress about win rates, colors, or whatever. shut the gently caress up

nobody gives a gently caress about type 59s either

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i gave a long gently caress to your mom and grandma together. they gave me a 67% win rate and 3800 wn8 on performance.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

same

Also, Kv-220 - considering I've got all the Soviet heavy training I would ever need, how much would I want to buy it?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agrajag posted:

Factually incorrect.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Agrajag posted:

Tell that to the T34 we ran into tonight who had a WN8 of 1. One.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014
Want to join, is it cool to use Japanese tanks?

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

DwarvenZombie posted:

Want to join, is it cool to use Japanese tanks?

Don't go down the Japanese tree as your first tree. With the exception of the Tier 5 and 6 heavies, they are all either terrible or difficult to play or both.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

ELI PORTER posted:

Don't go down the Japanese tree as your first tree. With the exception of the Tier 5 and 6 heavies, they are all either terrible or difficult to play or both.

So 'merica or Cyka? Interesting.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

DwarvenZombie posted:

once you get to tiers 5 and 6, it will become obvious why people tell you to start this game with a sherman or a kv-1

they are very easy and forgiving to play, don't require much thinking, and cut up the tanks they see very easily.

be sure to platoon lots

once you have good map knowledge and can afford gold ammo/crew retraining/camouflage and the like, then you might consider giving japanese tanks a go. They're not as difficult as french tanks but they do need a bankroll and below t8 a stoic attitude toward being unable to carry matches.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

stephenfry posted:

once you get to tiers 5 and 6, it will become obvious why people tell you to start this game with a sherman or a kv-1

they are very easy and forgiving to play, don't require much thinking, and cut up the tanks they see very easily.

be sure to platoon lots

once you have good map knowledge and can afford gold ammo/crew retraining/camouflage and the like, then you might consider giving japanese tanks a go. They're not as difficult as french tanks but they do need a bankroll and below t8 a stoic attitude toward being unable to carry matches.

Thanks! Might go into the TS.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DwarvenZombie posted:

If you go Russian heavies, for the love of god, take the IS-7 path, not the IS-4 one. Getting to the ST-1 without the BL-9 is possibly the worst grind in the game. and on a new account you probaly won't have free XP to burn.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

If you go Russian heavies, for the love of god, take the IS-7 path, not the IS-4 one. Getting to the ST-1 without the BL-9 is possibly the worst grind in the game. and on a new account you probaly won't have free XP to burn.

Honestly never played the game, downloading it now. So I have no idea what a IS-7 is, is it a type of russian tank? I just want to blast other tanks up! :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the end tank in one of the most powerful lines in the game.

Here are some tier 5 tanks that are good at blasting other tanks up.

USSR
- T-34
- KV-1
- KV-1S

USA
- M4 Sherman
- T67
- T1 Heavy

You should make it your goal to get a couple of these and learn the game before moving on to higher tiers and other lines. They are all comfortable, fun, forgiving tanks to play and they all lead to good tier 10s.