Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Loomer posted:

Which was the junkie faction? I don't quite recall.

You know, it took me a bit to remember where the hell I was pulling this from, and it turns out it's from the original Changeling, where it describes Autumn People as basically as either two types: passive addicts (not necessarily of drugs, but harmfully addicted) and authoritarian dream haters who hate dreams because uh reasons. Autumn People itself turned them into more "suits and jerks", for those seeking the challenge of confronting a baddie who's just a salaryman worn down by the 9 to 5. Though I can't help but think of comparisons between Beast and it's delight in harming people over mild transgressions and the delight changelings show in Autumn People for tormenting people for mild transgressions.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Man, Kithbook Satyr wasn't the bad one. At least not compared to KB: Pooka.

I could definitely be mixing up the furry kiths. Satyr did have some dodgy merits, and also had a flaw called "Swarthy" (mainly because they didn't seemingly know what swarthy means...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You see that guy over there? He works 60 hours a week to feed, clothe, and shelter his family. What an rear end in a top hat!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You know, it took me a bit to remember where the hell I was pulling this from, and it turns out it's from the original Changeling, where it describes Autumn People as basically as either two types: passive addicts (not necessarily of drugs, but harmfully addicted) and authoritarian dream haters who hate dreams because uh reasons. Autumn People itself turned them into more "suits and jerks", for those seeking the challenge of confronting a baddie who's just a salaryman worn down by the 9 to 5. Though I can't help but think of comparisons between Beast and it's delight in harming people over mild transgressions and the delight changelings show in Autumn People for tormenting people for mild transgressions.

I was going to go read the text to see what it had to say about Autumn People, but then i noticed they haven't posted the full text yet. Are they still feeling burned off of the Beast backlash?

If C20 is just as bad I don't see this strategy working out for them.

Pope Guilty posted:

You see that guy over there? He works 60 hours a week to feed, clothe, and shelter his family. What an rear end in a top hat!

You know those comics that get tossed around on social media about how if you aren't pursuing your childhood dreams and creating art you are dead inside? Changeling is a game where that is true, and yes it can be very infuriating to read.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And that other guy, that psychiatrist who's studying an unusual form of schizophrenia that, uncharacteristically of schizophrenia, fades with age and responds well to treatment. Who does he think he is, other than history's greatest monster?

Kurieg posted:

You know those comics that get tossed around on social media about how if you aren't pursuing your childhood dreams and creating art you are dead inside? Changeling is a game where that is true, and yes it can be very infuriating to read.

Oh god, totally. Changeling: the Dreaming is the Zen Pencils RPG, and gently caress Zen Pencils.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know what else was real bad? The Changeling section of Blood-Dimmed Tides.

gently caress merfolk forever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

If C20 is just as bad I don't see this strategy working out for them.

The difference is that Changeling: the Dreaming has hardcore fans that could give two shits about what the game has as long as they can play their favorite flavor again. They could print a napkin that said "Changeling: the Dreaming" that folded out into some reused Diterlizzi art and it'd sell. I've probably mentioned this before but I tried to sell off all my old World of Darkness books this year.. Changeling sold. Entirely. Even the GM screen. Even the CCG. You know what didn't sell? Wraith 2e. I had Shadow Court and Charnel Houses of Europe around the same price. I still own Charnel Houses of Europe.

On a more positive note, it earned me the money to collect most of Changeling: the Lost, so there's that.

Mors Rattus posted:

You know what else was real bad? The Changeling section of Blood-Dimmed Tides.

What, you weren't charmed by its blatant lactation fetish?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why would you want to get rid of Charnel Houses, comma, the single best oWoD book? I mean that unironically.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I dunno, the thing where Technomancers kept running across depth-crushed people who used to be mer and couldn't figure out wtf was amusing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Why would you want to get rid of Charnel Houses, comma, the single best oWoD book? I mean that unironically.

I was just scorched-earthing the whole line, I just don't see a future where I'd want to run any of the oWoD games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Peztopiary posted:

I dunno, the thing where Technomancers kept running across depth-crushed people who used to be mer and couldn't figure out wtf was amusing.

Oh yeah, the part where Sealab 2020 was accidentally committing merfolk genocide was great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh yeah, the part where Sealab 2020 was accidentally committing merfolk genocide was great.

Please explain this, and I guess whatever lactation thing the book had going on cause that sounds horrific.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mermaid breast milk gives water breathing if you drink it. They apparently milk themselves regularly; it was a four-dot Treasure. Also they lactate all the time. Merfolk also love casual sex, and have it all the time, but hate kissing unless it's someone they love. Kissing is intimate, sex isn't, see. :BRUCATO:

However, due to a joint Technocrat/Pentex team exploring the ocean floor and doing science enthusiastically - and, in fact, the Technocrat part of the team was just generally nice guy Void Engineers who loved oceanography, marine biology and learning new things - the merfolk were all dying out of banality. Because a secret ultratech undersea research base is the most Banal thing ever. They were genociding the merfolk without ever knowing the merfolk existed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wyrm stuff is always treated as super banal because destruction leads to stasis, or something? It didn't make any goddamn sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh god, totally. Changeling: the Dreaming is the Zen Pencils RPG, and gently caress Zen Pencils.

Ah, but can we save Changeling by making it instead into Dril Pencils?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God drat. I've never written a Changeling villain but the next chapter may be about a manic pixie girl who is so obviously Fae that no one suspects it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Keep in mind that oChangeling is the bad one; nChangeling is one of the best lines.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mors Rattus posted:

It took me ages to find a copy of Charnel Houses of Europe and, even though Wraith isn't my bag, it was a great read.

Oh wait, you're talking about something else.

gently caress WoD

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ah, but can we save Changeling by making it instead into Dril Pencils?

drilpgs should totally be a thing. I'll get us started.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Inzombiac posted:

It took me ages to find a copy of Charnel Houses of Europe and, even though Wraith isn't my bag, it was a great read.

There's only the one Charnel Houses, and it genuinely is one of the most sensitive treatments of the subject that could be given. Bizarrely, more than a few people hate that it exists purely because it deals with the Holocaust, regardless of tone. Charnel Houses was probably White Wolf at their very best when it came to giving ways to try and understand - and process - horrific material in a way the average person can relate to. If anything, it's what I wish more of the oWoD was like. Nuanced, sensitive, and as far as such a thing can be at all, appropriate to the gravity of the material.

Pope Guilty posted:

And how dare that lawyer work twice as many hours as he legally should defending indigent clients with little to no pay and less appreciation, fighting for the dream of justice, using only his ability to sway a small crowd with the passion of his words and the sharpness of his mind! What a loving boring banal dick!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Pope Guilty posted:

Loomer posted:

And how dare that lawyer work twice as many hours as he legally should defending indigent clients with little to no pay and less appreciation, fighting for the dream of justice, using only his ability to sway a small crowd with the passion of his words and the sharpness of his mind! What a loving boring banal dick!

Mors Rattus posted:

However, due to a joint Technocrat/Pentex team exploring the ocean floor and doing science enthusiastically - and, in fact, the Technocrat part of the team was just generally nice guy Void Engineers who loved oceanography, marine biology and learning new things - the merfolk were all dying out of banality. Because a secret ultratech undersea research base is the most Banal thing ever. They were genociding the merfolk without ever knowing the merfolk existed.

This part is at least consistent across the oWOD, and I can understand what a sane person might be trying to get at when writing like that. People can perpetuate oppressive systems without meaning harm to anyone; e.g. the professional skeptic who warns people away from faith healer con artists, who nonetheless contributes to the controlled Consensus and indirectly supports the excesses of the Syndicate or something. "Men" or "the rich" can be oppressive classes without making claims on any specific man or rich person because you don't model society as a collection of isolated individuals any more than you model a human as a collection of isolated molecules. The specific metaphor for Sealab 2020 there would be like an unsterilized Martian probe wiping out native life before it's ever even discovered, or (more fraught) a naval explorer accidentally introducing foreign diseases.

So the oWOD is saying "your life and values are under threat by people who are largely innocent so you cannot solve the problem by killing all the orcs or whatever". Fine, great, a bit well-trodden now but maybe more revolutionary back in the 90s. What makes it all bizarre and stupid is how vacuous the other side is. What are they fighting for, or against? It can't just be "wonder and delight" because those are feelings, and emergent political systems don't have feelings. Individual wonder and delight doesn't seem to matter because as Mors Rattus points out, the Void Engineers have it and they kill all the merfolk by accident anyway. Are "any organized groups where you don't know everyone personally" the enemy, then? Is this an elaborate reference to Vonnegut's Bokononism? Am I taking crazy pills???

Who are the merfolk, and changelings in general, supposed to be? People with weird sex opinions? Artists and creatives strangled by encroaching commodity fetishism? The gays? Probably not, but what the hell? Nobody has any coherent politics except for maybe the werewolves.

Since you don't have any coherent politics, and you're writing in the best economy since World War 2, but you still want to drat the Man in some way, what you end up with is hilarious stuff like this:

The oMage book I took that from has a long intro sequence where a Virtual Adept and a Hollow One go around meeting representatives of the other Traditions, and the Virtual Adept keeps saying that he doesn't believe in politics or groups or taking a side, you know, and all the other Tradition guys are like "yes, exactly, it's good to not have politics or believe in things, not like us, we are stupid to have beliefs". I mean, you can really see why these dopes lost the war.

Dammit Who? fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Changelings as a force seem to want to be fighting for truth, justice, freedom, reasonably priced love and a hard-boiled egg youthful imagination, granola, the right to pretend to be an SCA elf and first world middle class white kid ability to not have to give a poo poo about real life problems.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Basically the secret of oWoD is that regular person (only one per city) would be substantially better off if none of the splats existed.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Mors Rattus posted:

first world middle class white kid ability to not have to give a poo poo about real life problems.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Peztopiary posted:

Basically the secret of oWoD is that regular person (only one per city) would be substantially better off if none of the splats existed.

Part of me wants to do a nChangeling (or hell any NWOD line) game where the group somehow winds up in the OWOD and has to go around saving people from these weird assholes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wyrm stuff is always treated as super banal because destruction leads to stasis, or something? It didn't make any goddamn sense.

Which didn't make any goddamn sense either because they talk about how the unseelie houses like to hang out with Black Spiral Dancers in hives and Sabbat packs.

Changeling has no consistency as a game. The main book constantly contradicts itself and the other books make it worse. C20 will possibly be the first time they ever make a version of the game with editorial oversight in play.

Before Changeling was cancelled, the two books on the release schedule were Kithbook Boggan and the Book of Glamour. The Book of Glamour was supposed to be a big errata book and a guide to how precisely anything works in the game but I don't think it was even started.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love how dreams and whimsy are exalted in oChangeling - right up until you start the hard work of realizing them in the world, then gently caress you, you banal gently caress, you.

Deep sea underwater station was some kid's dream, who went to engineering school, made connections, and finally made it happen for real. Its success is anathema to the Idea Guys who laze about and expect success or convince themselves that dreaming is the hard work.

It's such a wrong-headed immature clusterfuck.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Which didn't make any goddamn sense either because they talk about how the unseelie houses like to hang out with Black Spiral Dancers in hives and Sabbat packs.

Changeling has no consistency as a game. The main book constantly contradicts itself and the other books make it worse. C20 will possibly be the first time they ever make a version of the game with editorial oversight in play.

Part of what you're seeing there is the idea, especially in first and second edition, that the antagonists of each line are evil, and therefore they ought to all be on the same side. That's why the Technocracy controls a chunk of Pentex instead of giving it the Ravnos Antediluvian treatment, or why the Sabbat is cool with the Wyrm (and, in fact, extra Wyrm-tainty) despite that consorting with a cosmic spirit of decay, corruption, and death is exactly the sort of thing the Inquisition tortures you to final death for.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Uncorruped wyrm would have been very anti-banal. The entire point of the Wyrm as a part of the Triat is that it world to oppose stasis so that new things can be created. So I honestly could see the Unseelie working with the Wyrm to bring about a creators paradise. Cancer's beautiful to someone isn't it?

Book of the Weaver is probably the best changeling antagonist book ever printed though. It's filled with well meaning people who have no idea they're actually servants of stasis, just trying to make the world a better place.

moths posted:

I love how dreams and whimsy are exalted in oChangeling - right up until you start the hard work of realizing them in the world, then gently caress you, you banal gently caress, you.

Deep sea underwater station was some kid's dream, who went to engineering school, made connections, and finally made it happen for real. Its success is anathema to the Idea Guys who laze about and expect success or convince themselves that dreaming is the hard work.

It's such a wrong-headed immature clusterfuck.

No you idiot. Making an underwater research laboratory harms our glorious natural resources. You must create literal art, music, paintings, dance, and nothing else.

Or space stations. Space stations are okay.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The point of the technocracy is to circumscribe all reality, destroy all magic, and control all outcomes. So I don't see why it wouldn't be banality city.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kurieg posted:

No you idiot. Making an underwater research laboratory harms our glorious natural resources. You must create literal art, music, paintings, dance, and nothing else.

Or space stations. Space stations are okay.

Wouldn't actual art be banal , too? Practice, repetition, and self-analysis aren't whimsical!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Frank Lloyd Wright: banal instrument of The Man, enemy of dreams.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The undertone of counter-revolutionary views in oChangeling reflects that the typical consumer is largely the white, privileged product of bourgeoisie thought that- since the end of Jim Crow- has the most to lose from the modern state of greater equity & equality.

oChangeling hates The Man in the same way, but for the exact opposite reasons that blaxploitation films hated The Man.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Gerund posted:

The undertone of counter-revolutionary views in oChangeling reflects that the typical consumer is largely the white, privileged product of bourgeoisie thought that- since the end of Jim Crow- has the most to lose from the modern state of greater equity & equality

its not counterrevolutionary its Romantic sheesh

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dammit Who? posted:

The oMage book I took that from has a long intro sequence where a Virtual Adept and a Hollow One go around meeting representatives of the other Traditions, and the Virtual Adept keeps saying that he doesn't believe in politics or groups or taking a side, you know, and all the other Tradition guys are like "yes, exactly, it's good to not have politics or believe in things, not like us, we are stupid to have beliefs". I mean, you can really see why these dopes lost the war.

isn't the entire reason the Traditions including the Virtual Adepts exist at all as discrete entities is that they believe in politics, groups and taking a side, and that they capital-B Believe in different things

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tezzor posted:

isn't the entire reason the Traditions including the Virtual Adepts exist at all as discrete entities is that they believe in politics, groups and taking a side, and that they capital-B Believe in different things

Of all the infuriating things about the old World of Darkness, the most infuriating to me is the way that a lot of the people writing for Ascension were determined to deny the premises of the game they were writing for.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

its not counterrevolutionary its Romantic sheesh

Futurism turns out to be Changeling as gently caress

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Peztopiary posted:

To be fair to the oWoD, I'm pretty sure this is also true for the nWoD.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In the NWOD, the average regular person would be hosed if the PC splats went missing because predatory spirits would have nothing keeping them in check, angels would perfectly carry out their ineffable orders without breaking down, and anyone kidnapped into Elfland wouldn't ever be able to escape. Oh and also we'd probably have been overwritten into the Prince of 100,000 leaves already.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unless you also un-gently caress the triat at the same time as you remove them, I think that the mortals of the oWoD are better off with the Garou around, on the whole.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kurieg posted:

Unless you also un-gently caress the triat at the same time as you remove them, I think that the mortals of the oWoD are better off with the Garou around, on the whole.

Nah, they are pretty poo poo. Retroactively killing them would be the greatest thing you could do to help the planet, but eliminating them all at whatever point you happen to be at is a good second best. Losing the Spirals is worth whatever vague benefit the rest of the Garou brought to the table. Let the Changing Breeds sweep up their kinfolk, and with the time bought with the Spirals out of the way they might just get a handle on everything. It's not like they have any particularly valuable skills beyond "gently caress people up". They aren't the best healers, they don't know the most about magic, they aren't the best traveled, they don't have the strongest spirit ties.....really they are pretty poo poo at everything but killing people on their own team. They did that *super* well on multiple occasions. Like I can't think of a single splat they ever did that was as toxic for the planet as the Garou were, and I include the literal Judeo-Christian demons in that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was assuming that the Fera would be out the door with the Garou since they were all created at the same time.

If you could get rid of the Garou and just the Garou and none of the other Fera fall to the Wyrm in their stead then yes? But I imagine either the Grondr or Nagah would definitely head down that road.