Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Angry Grimace posted:

Just like Force of Will.

there is this empty spot next summer for a reprint set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

RubberJohnny posted:

Don't like the alt-art Wastes as much as the Bismuth one.

Wastes is cool. But yeah the bismuth one looks much better.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We haven't seen any non-fullart wastes yet, right? I hope they're rare and super expensive.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
misdirection, swords, brainstorm, all of MM2, exploration, etc all reprinted in last year but there is no way that wotc could reprints cards and not put them in standard.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Indonesia doesn't get in on breakers. Lame.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

born on a buy you posted:

misdirection, swords, brainstorm, all of MM2, exploration, etc all reprinted in last year but there is no way that wotc could reprints cards and not put them in standard.

Stifle, Pernicious Deed, and Spiritmonger too!

I wish Spiritmonger was playable, that card blew my mind when it was first printed :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gensuki posted:

Was there a common (C) card revealed, or is it just Cozy?

Nope. We did get one of the other mythics spoiled with Kozi back during the initial leaks, though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lmao team usa already eliminated from the world cup.

this was sufficiently believable for a real world cup that i forgot this thread was talking about a magic tournament for a moment

england also sucking just reinforced it for several posts

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Foil wastes will be expensive, even if just for EDH.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

Foil wastes will be expensive, even if just for EDH.

I want to see that beautiful foil bismuth :swoon:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is Thoughtpicker witch a good card? Its abiity seems like Jace, the Jacejace's +2.

You get to see what card they draw, and remove the worse of two cards, and it exiles if you're a Timmy/Johnny and want to make an eldrazi processor deck without any ingest...

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Gensuki posted:

Is Thoughtpicker witch a good card? Its abiity seems like Jace, the Jacejace's +2.

You get to see what card they draw, and remove the worse of two cards, and it exiles if you're a Timmy/Johnny and want to make an eldrazi processor deck without any ingest...

You're going down on card advantage every time you do this. Also it costs mana unlike Viscera Seer, so you can't use it for an infinite combo easily.

E: I will say I played with it a lot and I thought it was really good when I was less than a year into the game, playing it in a casual BG token/sacrifice deck with Golgari Germinations. This was back when my playgroup in high school barely owned any rares and had never played in a sanctioned event.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only reason the Lantern deck kindof works is that most people have no or very few answers to artifacts. Witch they would just kill.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

it was marginally playable in limited but maybe as like a 24th or 25th card (RGD was a 15-16 land format :haw:)

it paled in comparison to some other sac outlets like elvish skycutter or golgari rotwurm but it had its niche

although, the price wasn't as high back then since damage used the stack. you could trade a 2/2, stack damage, then activate thoughtpicker, which is why it was marginally useful.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 11, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Death Bot posted:

In the sense that Orange Fluffy Sheep used it, specifically that it doesn't play nice with converge and demands that you don't play 5+D decks... that's exactly the point.

I don't really think it's parasitic in the sense that Maro tends to use it either; though Wastes will likely not be reprinted until a set focuses on the mechanic, there's always some kind of utility land and usually some kind of colorless mana dork, so the mechanic can definitely interact with other sets.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more saying "It doesn't play nice with converge, therefore parasitic" is really pretty dumb, because Converge is the thing that asks you to distort your mana base with dual land rainbow vomit, whereas {C} in theory just asks you to play a certain number of wastes and/or colorless utility lands that are often worth playing anyway. But the Overton window has shifted so far towards 4+ color good stuff that we see what is more or less a mono-color theme (even if the "color" is something new) as being the parasitic one.

As an aside, C being the official letter isn't going to stop me from making a million jokes about wanting the D, getting the D, etc.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

As an aside, C being the official letter isn't going to stop me from making a million jokes about wanting the D, getting the D, etc.

You are the pillar of humor thrust upon this thread.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Can't wait for FNM tonight so I can see how many adults I actually know are upset about small, non-functional, changes to this card game for children. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thoughtpicker Witch has one purpose and it is to make insufferable Ghave decks even less fun.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
Design can probably be blamed for a lot that's wrong with this block, but at least Maro wanted to do the colorless symbol in BFZ but got voted down.

quote:

Why was the colorless mana symbol added in OGW and not BFZ?

That was a subject of huge debate. I was on the BFZ side but my side did not win out. The winning argument said that introducing before it was mechanically relevant would confuse even more players than having them mix in limited. It also made the splash when it was supposed to be the focus.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NivMizzet posted:

Design can probably be blamed for a lot that's wrong with this block, but at least Maro wanted to do the colorless symbol in BFZ but got voted down.

Seems to make sense to me. Print it when it becomes relevant. Piece of cake.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Or reverse the order: diamond mana in the large fall set, Devoid in the small winter set. It's not like they had any mechanics for the fall set when design handed off the file.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I can't believe this entirely eldrazi-themed mechanic meant to work with eldrazis doesn't play well with this mechanic belonging to the people who are fighting against the eldrazi! Why would WotC pull this bullshit on us????

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Sickening posted:

Seems to make sense to me. Print it when it becomes relevant. Piece of cake.

It was just as relevant before as any other template change that they've ever implemented. Tap changed to T and then to ⤵️ outside of a "physical positions matter" set and "Unblockable" became "Cannot Be Blocked" outside of an "unblockable matters" set. Implementing a diamond-shaped colorless mana symbol in a set with marquee colorless creatures stomping around diamond-shaped hedrons is perfectly apropos, even if it wasn't going to do anything yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Eikre posted:

It was just as relevant before as any other template change that they've ever implemented. Tap changed to T and then to ⤵️ outside of a "physical positions matter" set and "Unblockable" became "Cannot Be Blocked" outside of an "unblockable matters" set. Implementing a diamond-shaped colorless mana symbol in a set with marquee colorless creatures stomping around diamond-shaped hedrons is perfectly apropos, even if it wasn't going to do anything yet.

I can't fathom why anybody would give this much of a poo poo about this. :bahgawd:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

NivMizzet posted:

They probably voted him down because he handed them the BFZ design file, which they also voted down.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So my redraft pool tonight is garbage.
Highest card is foil forest (not the good one) at 5.60 tcg mid.

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

In what deck would Kiora belong as long as Jace and Nissa are around?

Don't make Kiora your Narset.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mehall posted:

BFZ cards in general are worth less than usual because it is probably by far the most-opened set in history.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Zoness posted:

In what deck would Kiora belong as long as Jace and Nissa are around?

Don't make Kiora your Narset.

Jace is a lot better, but I'm not certain Nissa always is. I guess I might need to wait till origins rotates out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. We did get one of the other mythics spoiled with Kozi back during the initial leaks, though.

Would this really have been overpowered if it didn't ETB tapped?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Yes?

It's a land that has a very powerful spell effect, making it ETB tapped is the only way to competitively cost the abilities.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Picture it as the land version of this:

Because that's basically what it is. It also comes down earlier and while it isn't repeatable, it's a helluva lot safer in Standard than a 5 mana 2/2 in Commander

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Picture it as the land version of this:

Because that's basically what it is. It also comes down earlier and while it isn't repeatable, it's a helluva lot safer in Standard than a 5 mana 2/2 in Commander

It's also garbage anywhere else where it could be a really, really cool card in vintage/legacy/modern otherwise

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

It'd be a 5 mana clone effect off the top of your deck. That's quite powerful for a land. Even with the clause, it might be good enough as a one-of in certain decks that can recur it.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 11, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

It'd be a 5 mana clone effect off the top of your deck. That's quite powerful for a land. Even with the clause, it might be good enough as a one-of in certain decks that can recur it.

I mean, yeah, clone effects don't see a ton of play since they're not all that reliable, but the opportunity cost of putting this in your deck is really low so I expect it to see play.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
It's not as good as a clone since it has to be your creature but being able to cast dig through time twice for 6 mana is almost certainly good enough for standard play by itself

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

UberJew posted:

It's not as good as a clone since it has to be your creature but being able to cast dig through time twice for 6 mana is almost certainly good enough for standard play by itself

Yeah, the spell side is really good and probably the reason to put it in a deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Few things make me want to turn off my ssg stream more than coming back from a break and seeing loving hunt subbing in for someone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sickening posted:

Few things make me want to turn off my ssg stream more than coming back from a break and seeing loving hunt subbing in for someone.

Matthias Hunt? What's wrong with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Matthias Hunt? What's wrong with him?

He isn't Cedric is mostly the problem.

• Locked thread