Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks.

I read about Xom. Um. That all seems quite.. insane?

To avoid boring Xom, you should always try to keep it interested in you. Unfortunately, Xom is mostly amused by things you can't control (like being teleported away in the Abyss when the exit or a rune was in sight) or if you waste useful resources.

Every 20 turns (for a character with normal speed), Xom will turn its attention towards you, and depending on the situation (from 7% of the time if there are no monsters in view to 33% in the middle of a big fight) may decide to perform either a "good" action or a "bad" action.

Xom's actions and gifts will often be in the spirit of what Xom (with its particularly capricious sense of humor) finds funny: if you are stuck with a cursed weapon or piece of armour, there is a good chance that Xom will give you an item with that cursed slot. If you are training one specific type of weapon, Xom will probably give you a different kind.

Crawl: More fun than Fallout 4

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Why? Why is that better than poison magic being good both early game and late game, just like almost every other skill?

I mean, okay, things in the game that are great early but terrible late are fine. There's no reason to buff daggers of venom or whips of electrocution so they're equally attractive on U:5 as D:2. But neither of those things cost XP to wield.

Or even better, the XP you invest into a whip of electrocution's attack speed is also applicable to that sacred scourge of holy wrath! Meanwhile Poison Magic,

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tony Montana posted:

Thanks.

To avoid boring Xom, you should always try to keep it interested in you. Unfortunately, Xom is mostly amused by things you can't control (like being teleported away in the Abyss when the exit or a rune was in sight) or if you waste useful resources.

Every 20 turns (for a character with normal speed), Xom will turn its attention towards you, and depending on the situation (from 7% of the time if there are no monsters in view to 33% in the middle of a big fight) may decide to perform either a "good" action or a "bad" action.

Xom's actions and gifts will often be in the spirit of what Xom (with its particularly capricious sense of humor) finds funny: if you are stuck with a cursed weapon or piece of armour, there is a good chance that Xom will give you an item with that cursed slot. If you are training one specific type of weapon, Xom will probably give you a different kind.

Worshipping Xom is like a rollercoaster. Its full of ups and downs but is great fun.

Up until the cart flies off the tracks and explodes.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Another random thought on the Poison Magic thing. If acid isn't workable, what about Miasma as a higher level spell? Or is rot not something that effects monsters? Because it seems like it would fit for poison, still good against poison immune stuff, but falls off later.

Anywho, on a different track, I'm going to freely admit to not being very good at this game. I have a nasty tendency not to pay enough attention to what I'm doing. Even when the game really wants me to win, such as this latest fighter who bites it in V5.

Oh, and a ring with rF+, MR+. Then every other type of resist I could want if I needed to swap. I think I got overconfident with how effortlessly I blew through Snake and Eleven.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 11, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Generally, Xom's gifts tend to be permanent and his punishments tend to be temporary but lethal. If you can survive being teleported into a rune vault without a weapon he's a surprisingly solid choice.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

Thanks.

Xom is incredibly capricious; even when he is happy with you, there is a chance he'll horribly mutate you or abyss you. Here is a list of terrible/hilarious things Xom has done to me personally over various runs:

1.) Gifted me a randart helm with rC++ rF++ SInv, then gave me horns 50 turns later
2.) Gifted me a +8 giant spiked club of freezing (I was an ogre), animated it out of my hands with Tukima's Dance then teleported me away; the club chased a fish into deep water, killed it then sunk
3.) Horribly malmutated me (teleportitis 3, shouting 3, deformed body, blurry vision, etc) over a series of levels, then gifted me a stack of eight cure mutation potions
4.) Summoned a permanent executioner ally for me on d:2, which carried me through pretty much the entire game
5.) Polymorphed a snail into a hellephant on lair 1
6.) Swapped my +9 triple sword with Ignacio's executioner's axe, then abyssed him so I couldn't get it back

Edit: I think they've removed the really heinous stuff he could do, like weapon swaps between you and monsters and animating your own weapons.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So what do you put in your rc file on crawl.s-z.org to get the game to actually stop your autoexplore if your lich form is running out? I keep having to set this up, keep finding that

runrest_stop_message = Your transformation is almost over
runrest_stop_message = You feel yourself come back to life

just doesn't work for some reason, and keep forgetting what I end up changing to fix it.

Do those lines need to be somewhere specific in the file? Do they need to be preceded with some symbol I've left out? What's up?

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Ferrinus posted:

So what do you put in your rc file on crawl.s-z.org to get the game to actually stop your autoexplore if your lich form is running out? I keep having to set this up, keep finding that

runrest_stop_message = Your transformation is almost over
runrest_stop_message = You feel yourself come back to life

just doesn't work for some reason, and keep forgetting what I end up changing to fix it.

Do those lines need to be somewhere specific in the file? Do they need to be preceded with some symbol I've left out? What's up?

There should be a + before the = in there, I think, so that they read:

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over
runrest_stop_message += You feel yourself come back to life

Works for me, at least.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm still megazigging, but I've run into a weird thing. Is there a limit to the number of fixedarts you can find in one game? Because zigs were loaded down with fixedarts until #8, then #9 only had two, and now I'm up to zig 17 and haven't seen a single fixedart since. I know I haven't found all the ones that exist, there are at least a dozen I can name but haven't seen.

Is it possible for fixedarts to spawn in a pan level you don't fully explore and vanish forever when you leave without ever seeing them? Same question for the abyss. Similarly, is it possible for enemies to pick up zig gear? It doesn't seem like they can but I also don't bother checking all hundred elf corpses on a floor to make sure.

It'd be a shame if any of those are true, one of the fun things about megazigging is getting to see all the rare fixedarts that you usually don't get to play with.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mystery Prize posted:

Gifted me a randart helm with rC++ rF++ SInv, then gave me horns 50 turns later

That's awesome, I will play him soon for sure.

Ok, something has been getting on my tits for a while.

A few pages ago I asked about this and someone helpfully replied, but I still can't get it to work.

Firstly, just remove books.. all books.. from my autopickup. I'm a MiBe and I just don't want to pick them up.

I put 'ae += *spellbooks' in autopickup_exceptions.txt and then used the \ menu to set everything to default.. but books remain selected.

I've tried adding 'autopickup = $?!"/%' to both init.txt and auto_exceptions.txt but it doesn't help. The other thing I want to do is add corpses to the autopickup list. You can't pickup a corpse, but I just want them flagged with the green square so autoexplore goes to them.. so my autobutcher can chop em up and I don't have to stop to drive my guy to each and every corpse. I've tried 'autopickup = $?!"/%X' and 'ae += <corpse' but again it doesn't seem to work.

Where should I be putting these strings? Can I do with corpses what I'm intending? Why can't I get the default options for books to not be picked up?

Made my first magic user today and he's already a lot of fun.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

That's awesome, I will play him soon for sure.

Ok, something has been getting on my tits for a while.

A few pages ago I asked about this and someone helpfully replied, but I still can't get it to work.

Firstly, just remove books.. all books.. from my autopickup. I'm a MiBe and I just don't want to pick them up.

I put 'ae += *spellbooks' in autopickup_exceptions.txt and then used the \ menu to set everything to default.. but books remain selected.

I've tried adding 'autopickup = $?!"/%' to both init.txt and auto_exceptions.txt but it doesn't help. The other thing I want to do is add corpses to the autopickup list. You can't pickup a corpse, but I just want them flagged with the green square so autoexplore goes to them.. so my autobutcher can chop em up and I don't have to stop to drive my guy to each and every corpse. I've tried 'autopickup = $?!"/%X' and 'ae += <corpse' but again it doesn't seem to work.

Where should I be putting these strings? Can I do with corpses what I'm intending? Why can't I get the default options for books to not be picked up?

Made my first magic user today and he's already a lot of fun.

Being a Trog worshiper actually special cases ALL books to be autopicked, even ones you have ided. Because for Trog, a book is a makeshift weapon. That is probably overriding your default settings. Similar to how setting staffs to autopickup gets ignored when you're with Trog.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darox posted:

Being a Trog worshiper actually special cases ALL books to be autopicked, even ones you have ided. Because for Trog, a book is a makeshift weapon. That is probably overriding your default settings. Similar to how setting staffs to autopickup gets ignored when you're with Trog.

Huh I should use book mines more. I just pop them as soon as I see them for piety.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Huh I should use book mines more. I just pop them as soon as I see them for piety.

They're really good for roasting bees.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Make Venom Bolt apply Corrosion to targets

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Since we're having the Poison Magic Discussion again, can I mention my 'Toxic Glue' spell idea again?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Poison Magic skill could probably be folded completely into the Transmutation skill, if people just can't be assed to create enough spells that it's a legitimate elemental school on his own. I mean, think about it - you just transmute the air or ground or whatever into toxic gases. Easy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ferrinus posted:

The Poison Magic skill could probably be folded completely into the Transmutation skill, if people just can't be assed to create enough spells that it's a legitimate elemental school on his own. I mean, think about it - you just transmute the air or ground or whatever into toxic gases. Easy.

This would also do cool stuff like making Freezing Cloud synergize exceedingly well with Ice Form! :eng101:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The worst (read: most amusing) thing Xom's ever done to me was giving my +9 longbow of velocity to some stupid draconian in the middle of a huge pack supported by an OoF, forcing me to retreat without it.

So I went and got another longbow, came back to recover mine... and he did it again. :negative:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay, here's my idea: randart spells. Various targeting/aoe templates are randomly mixed together with damage types and effects and put into random books. Cone of fire! Acid cloud! Dazzling chain!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, here's my idea: randart spells. Various targeting/aoe templates are randomly mixed together with damage types and effects and put into random books. Cone of fire! Acid cloud! Dazzling chain!

That could be fun

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That could be kinda neat as a Vehumet unique benefit, particularly if Veh kept swapping them up so you couldn't trivialize the whole game with one lucky broken superspell.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I kinda wish each class actually had something more meaningful (but small-ish) to differentiate it. Like, a mild passive at 1, a unique active at 14, and then a capstone of some sort at 27. I know that'll never get implemented and probably be seen as against the design philosophy of the game, but I think it'd add a lot to the game for me. I don't think it'd significantly take away from the whole 'emergent gameplay' thing if done right.

Ferrinus posted:

Funny you say that. I actually opened up ToME2 for the first time in forever today and played a Thaumaturgist for a bit, whose gimmick is basically what you just described. It's a little undertuned late game in ToME, but still a lot of fun.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

megane posted:

The worst (read: most amusing) thing Xom's ever done to me was giving my +9 longbow of velocity to some stupid draconian in the middle of a huge pack supported by an OoF, forcing me to retreat without it.

So I went and got another longbow, came back to recover mine... and he did it again. :negative:

The best xom thing is either when he revives you after death so he can watch you die again, or when you bail on him to zin with a ton of great muts and his entire penance is spent with him gifting you poo poo still. He's just a nice guy deep down.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd argue that Poison Magic wouldn't make it in if it was being suggested today. A collection of spells that are decent early & mediocre-to-useless late, and one very rare spell whose benefit is "LCS only earlier"? Who'd waste their time on that? Who would even think up the spell school like that? But because it's already in the game, inertia prevails.

Dairy Power posted:

I kinda wish each class actually had something more meaningful (but small-ish) to differentiate it. Like, a mild passive at 1, a unique active at 14, and then a capstone of some sort at 27. I know that'll never get implemented and probably be seen as against the design philosophy of the game, but I think it'd add a lot to the game for me. I don't think it'd significantly take away from the whole 'emergent gameplay' thing if done right.
Considering that race is your permanent character differences & class is your start kit that you can use or ignore at will, that almost certainly is against the design philosophy.

And it'd be hard to implement without creating weird incentives or making the bonuses too small to matter. If you tied the benefits too closely to what the class is "supposed" to do, it'd discourage people from experimenting with builds. If a class had a particularly good set of benefits that could apply to most builds, it'd overencourage people to use it just for the benefits(while skilling whatever the gently caress they want, defeating the point of trying to differentiate the class). If the benefits are too small to influence class choice, then why even add them?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Haifisch posted:

And it'd be hard to implement without creating weird incentives or making the bonuses too small to matter. If you tied the benefits too closely to what the class is "supposed" to do, it'd discourage people from experimenting with builds. If a class had a particularly good set of benefits that could apply to most builds, it'd overencourage people to use it just for the benefits(while skilling whatever the gently caress they want, defeating the point of trying to differentiate the class). If the benefits are too small to influence class choice, then why even add them?

You could add them for flavor, sense of accomplishment if it's a level 27 thing, etc. Octopodes have AC+1 because of their "gelatinous body", it's incredibly underwhelming but I think it's a nice touch. If it went all the way to gelatinous 3 it would be a whopping +2 AC, +2 EV, which would be pretty insignificant by the time you're XL27, but it would require minimal coding and it just accentuates the fact you're a big strong octopode I guess :shobon:

Adding some kind of goalpost when reaching certain levels is a thing crawl already does, too. Consider player titles (which have a surprising amount of work put into them with hundreds of titles), having some kind of small bonus would be a natural next step, IMO.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Haifisch posted:

I'd argue that Poison Magic wouldn't make it in if it was being suggested today. A collection of spells that are decent early & mediocre-to-useless late, and one very rare spell whose benefit is "LCS only earlier"? Who'd waste their time on that? Who would even think up the spell school like that? But because it's already in the game, inertia prevails.

One thing I'd appreciate, if PM is to remain the way it is, would be something in the description telling you when you should stop putting XP into it. Kinda like weapon skills that tell you currently when you reach minimum delay for your current weapon at X skill. Just a, "hey, you probably don't want to put more xp in this now indicator."
Mind, doing that might be against the design of the game, but at least it is an explained situation in game.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Meanwhile, on D5 with my DDFi...

You see here the +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+ Str+2}.

Oh hi there!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shinino Kage posted:

Meanwhile, on D5 with my DDFi...

You see here the +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+ Str+2}.

Oh hi there!

Congratulations on your find. I assume you'll be dead soon.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ferrinus posted:

I've always liked this idea, though I worry that they'd all end up feeling a bit generic.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I think Poison Magics thematic scope should be changed to sort of a "poison and vitality" school, Hemomancy. So Transmutation is still the general "changing" school, but Hemomancy is sort of along side it as a subtle chemical changes.

Sublimation of Blood becomes Necromancy/Hemomancy. Regeneration drops Necro entirely (how much sense did that make in the first place?) to become Hemomancy/Charms. While we're at it we can figure out if it needs a new level + how to make it not an utter chore to use.

But now we can avoid the whole "how to make a good high level Poison skill?" problem because high level Hemomancy skills can just be good things for you instead of attacks. Maybe something that cleanses temp mutations and/or gives you rMut. Maybe a higher level Regeneration equivalent in the rMissle/dMissle paradigm. Maybe Necromutation becomes Hemomancy/Necromancy like Sublimation of Blood. Maybe a hilarious reverse-necromutation where you can make undead become alive. Maybe a ninth level single school spell that lowers contamination, letting players with a TON of MP do combos they otherwise couldn't do. Oh and this has nothing to with the Hemomancy idea, but maybe give Virulence to players?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

I've always liked this idea, though I worry that they'd all end up feeling a bit generic.

Well, they wouldn't replace the 'fixedart' spells that already exist, just widen the pool of attacks to draw from in randart or perhaps even preset spellbooks. Maybe there'd even be some scroll of enchant weapon-style resource you could spend to uptick a randart spell's level and therefore aoe size/damage expression.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, in a world with random spells, you can ditch a lot of the more boring fixed spells like throw flame or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I feel like a Roguelike with random spells ought to be built from the ground up around that concept.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I agree with Dongz. It's easy to think of random spells in the world of Conjurations, and a random spell God to be an alternative to Veh might be fun. But outside of Conj random spells would be really hard to be anything but bland.

Really, it's easy to forget how elegant Crawls skilling system and spell schools are in general. It's pretty well designed.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bolt of Fun

Iskenderun's Afro

Chaos Storm

Klown Form

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Klown Kar = Haunt except with a lot of honking and shrieks. You feel sick causing it. :v:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just put some fixedart spells in 1/50 sif muna books, like tomb of dohlroki and stuff.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Make the random spells Xom gifts

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

There are a lot of non-conjurations effects that could easily be delivered by random spells, like blinks, buffs, debuffs, summons, terrain changes, forced moves... you could have a fireball that blinks everything it hits or a spell that hastes but also poisons its target or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is CSZO acting up for anyone else tonight?

• Locked thread