Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It was his birthday too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It was on his birthday, too.

e:f,b same wording too!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It has always seemed weird that people are completely okay with all of the butt rape that occurs in prison. Like, being in prison isn't enough for smoking a weed, that you need to get butt raped for the offense too to make it official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibqo6Z4Cgo

moist turtleneck has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Dec 11, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

It has always seemed weird that people are completely okay with all of the butt rape that occurs in prison. Like, being in prison isn't enough for smoking a weed, that you need to get butt raped for the offense too to make it official

There's a sizable portion of the population that thinks a lot about raping guys in the butt and news about people going to prison allows them to express those feelings.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I always assumed that the prison rape stuff was just a stereotype, hence all the completely unapologetic jokes. It actually happens? :stonk:

E: Oh god this is a derail now I'm so sorry. :ohdear:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Dec 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stereotypes come from somewhere, generally, even if they end up being gross exaggerations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rape_in_the_United_States

quote:

In a survey of 1,788 male inmates in Midwestern prisons by Prison Journal, about 21% claimed they had been coerced or pressured into sexual activity during their incarceration, and 7% claimed that they had been raped in their current facility.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

I always assumed that the prison rape stuff was just a stereotype, hence all the completely unapologetic jokes. It actually happens? :stonk:

It does, but not to the extent you probably think it does. My buddy has been in prison for several years and it's never been an issue with him. Then again neither have gangs. Or so he says.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

It does, but not to the extent you probably think it does. My buddy has been in prison for several years and it's never been an issue with him. Then again neither have gangs. Or so he says.

So why do you think rape is funny in prison? I never got that.

A texas cop stuck in the window of his car:

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Dec 11, 2015

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

ekuNNN posted:

So why do you think rape is funny in prison? I never got that.

The same reason people find dead baby jokes or the ilk funny. Comedy makes tragedy palatable.

Not really that hard of a concept. Also, jokes on the internet, dude. Not that big a deal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheStampede posted:

The same reason people find dead baby jokes or the ilk funny. Comedy makes tragedy palatable.

Not really that hard of a concept. Also, jokes on the internet, dude. Not that big a deal.

Nah

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ekuNNN posted:

A texas cop stuck in the window of his car:

I love this video, this got posted in the Ask a Cop thread a while back because apparently the guy driving by and filming is also a cop. The question was both "How did he get stuck in the window" and "why didn't the other guy help" and all the cops in there said the exact same thing. Guy was probably trying to get in the car through the window because the water is above the bottom of the door and he didn't want to flood the car, belt got caught on the window frame. Guy filming didn't help because he was way too busy driving back to the station to show everyone else this hilarious video of their co-worker.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Am I alone in thinking that cop looks like he has a few too many chromosomes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheStampede posted:

I think it comes down to whether someone views a prison term as retribution or rehabilitation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

joedevola posted:

He looks pretty normal. That's the face of a sociopath who's just realized that he's totally hosed and will never have a normal life ever again.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I both prefer, and find hilarious, a society where 95% of all inmates are all eventually released among the general population harboring deep-seated sexual trauma, paranoia, PTSD and hepatitis

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Damnit! I was just about to post this. Skip to 5:50 for verdict readings. This cop was accused of 36 counts of various rape charges. And that's just the women that came forward.
gently caress this guy.

I counted 265 years. Will these be served in series or simultaneously? I'm not familiar with the US justice system.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

MisterMarmite posted:

I counted 265 years. Will these be served in series or simultaneously? I'm not familiar with the US justice system.

Hes a former police officer. Probably have to actually serve about 10 hours of community service.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The judge recommended 263 years. Sentencing is yet to take place.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

MisterMarmite posted:

Depends, after considering a number of aggravating and mitigating circumstances the judge will determine whether the time will be consecutive or concurrent. Sometimes it gets weird and the some of the sentences are concurrent with each other (multiple counts of the same charge) and others are consecutive. 265 years for rape, even serial rape, is totally unheard of so we're probably looking at an absolute bare minimum of whatever the longest sentence was (like 20 years?).

Then you throw parole in there and the possibility then becomes he gets out in 5 or 10.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

joedevola posted:

He's half-Japanese. If that's what you mean.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

speshl guy posted:

so we're probably looking at an absolute bare minimum of whatever the longest sentence was (like 20 years?).

There were multiple counts that carried 30, I believe. (Rape in the first degree, I think.)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

oh dope posted:

but then who will administer the ironic rape?

Well, given the verdict, I think even if he masturbates it still counts.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, sentencing is a completely different animal than the actual trial here in the US. The judge and the jury in the case can both recommend sentences, (which was definitely what was going on here) but it's up to the sentencing judge to decide entirely. On the bright side, that's the part where "speedy trial" rights really kick in, and they won't hold you in purgatory forever waiting to decide.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

speshl guy posted:

Depends, after considering a number of aggravating and mitigating circumstances the judge will determine whether the time will be consecutive or concurrent. Sometimes it gets weird and the some of the sentences are concurrent with each other (multiple counts of the same charge) and others are consecutive. 265 years for rape, even serial rape, is totally unheard of so we're probably looking at an absolute bare minimum of whatever the longest sentence was (like 20 years?).

Then you throw parole in there and the possibility then becomes he gets out in 5 or 10.

It can also depend on when the crimes were committed. If several crimes were committed at the same time like 3 counts of kidnapping because you took your kids away from their legal guardian, the judge might let you serve the sentences associated with that crime concurrently because they were committed at the same time. On the other hand, if it was a series of armed robberies committed over several months, the sentences might be served consecutively. If you do enough poo poo that the judge wants you to serve consecutive sentences of crimes committed at the same time, you really really hosed up big time.

The judge is largely the arbiter on how sentences will be carried out unless a law has been passed to limit their discretion like minimum sentencing and 3 strikes laws.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Dec 11, 2015

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Dwight Eisenhower is cool as a cucumber to the defendant's right, though. A real professional.

joedevola posted:

Me too. He looks like George Zimmerman (and is somehow a worse human being, which is saying quite a bit).

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Railing Kill posted:

Me too. He looks like George Zimmerman (and is somehow a worse human being, which is saying quite a bit).

Something tells me George Zimmerman is a rapist or will be a rapist. The stories from his ex-wife are pretty bad. Also he makes money by selling paintings commemorating the time he killed a child.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

speshl guy posted:

Considering how many times he committed rape, and felt zero remorse until he got caught, I say toss him in jail with no possibility of parole. People like that rear end in a top hat make me sick, especially ones that abuse any power they might have.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How do you get 1 trial for 36 separate crimes?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We like to do things in bulk here in the states, en masse.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

veedubfreak posted:

Is there such a thing as a class-action lawsuit for rape?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

veedubfreak posted:

Just like that. The jurors decide on each count independently from each other. Would you rather he go through 36 separate trials, each lasting a week at best?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

veedubfreak posted:

Very carefully.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Christ, I can't imagine the horrors of a system where they'd have to have 36 separate trials for this. They basically just run all those trials at the same time and the Jury responds for each crime.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

veedubfreak posted:

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

This one is brilliant. Too many cyclists are absolute tossers like these two. I encounter it every weekend and its always the same - middle aged men who suddenly think they are Bradley Wiggins and have no respect for the actual rules of the road. Specifically you are not allowed to ride side by side on bikes like these two and if you are on a bike on the road you must be in control of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lorddazron posted:

This one is brilliant. Too many cyclists are absolute tossers like these two. I encounter it every weekend and its always the same - middle aged men who suddenly think they are Bradley Wiggins and have no respect for the actual rules of the road. Specifically you are not allowed to ride side by side on bikes like these two and if you are on a bike on the road you must be in control of it.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh you're wrong there buddy. Sorry you get angry about people on bikes when you're in a car and moving your right foot is all you need to do to get past them.

(that gif IS funny though)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

88h88 posted:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh you're wrong there buddy. Sorry you get angry about people on bikes when you're in a car and moving your right foot is all you need to do to get past them.

(that gif IS funny though)

Nah, motorcycles can, but bikes in a lot of places are supposed to be single file on the side of the lane, specifically so cars can pass without going in to the oncoming lane. It's about traffic safety and flow.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

ekuNNN posted:

So why do you think rape is funny in prison?

You're in a thread where people take joy in others misery and you are now asking why someone convicted of being a monster who is going to have something bad happen to him is funny?

Maybe I can help explain: Ok so the cop is Dr Robotnik.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Na'at posted:

You're in a thread where people take joy in others misery and you are now asking why someone convicted of being a monster who is going to have something bad happen to him is funny?

Maybe I can help explain: Ok so the cop is Dr Robotnik.....

Eh, don't pay him any mind. He's just looking for a way to think he's better than a stranger on the internet for not finding the humor in a rapist getting raped. I'll give it to him. He's a better person than me. But I'm more interesting.