Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I think I might have to play this.

Even since the Battletech Kickstarter I have been in the mood to play a BT game again. I have pretty much played them all, including shooting Atlas butts with a Jenner back in the old AOL game a million years ago. I did give MWO a shot a long time ago and it felt like everything could absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment, far more than the tabletop rules permit. I found that a bit weird. Is it still like that? I loaded up the Steam version yesterday and played some tutorials and it didn't seem as bad when I did that wave attack mode. Things went down after a reasonable amount of hits. I have yet to fight a real battle or spend any of my c-bills though. I'm just poking around for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Get in the goon Mumble and go shoot some robutts

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

crowbb posted:

Even since the Battletech Kickstarter I have been in the mood to play a BT game again. I have pretty much played them all, including shooting Atlas butts with a Jenner back in the old AOL game a million years ago. I did give MWO a shot a long time ago and it felt like everything could absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment, far more than the tabletop rules permit. I found that a bit weird. Is it still like that? I loaded up the Steam version yesterday and played some tutorials and it didn't seem as bad when I did that wave attack mode. Things went down after a reasonable amount of hits. I have yet to fight a real battle or spend any of my c-bills though. I'm just poking around for now.

Armour values were doubled from table top, but weapon damage was tripled. That lead to the long standing problems of mechs dieing pretty much instantly to any sort of coordinated fire, which was a very un-battletech like experience, where wounded mechs could limp on, waiting for their moment to strike.

A whole bunch of dumb poo poo was done to try to counter this, but most of the changes only made the problem worse, or stalemated combat in what should have been dynamic gameplay. This has recently been addressed by inscreasing the structure of many mech, improving survivability. Along with tweaking close in weapons, this has given the game a much more up close and personal feeling.

Many people are enjoying this, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

PS. this all assumes you are playing customized mechs that have been outfitted in a usable way, as the default loudouts for mechs 'as purchased' is terrible. It was only recently that trial mechs switched from default loadouts to 'champion' builds, so things might have been really bad if you only played a little bit more than about a year or so ago.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I went crazy and thought about putting AC/2s on my Cent-AH to check out their new crit-seeking, and...is there any weapon so poorly balanced in the game as this gun? I can either mount an AC/10 or 2 AC/2s. 3 AC/2s is 4 tons heavier than an AC/20. I get that they fire fast and you get a lot of ammo per ton, but...really?

I'm having a blast in my SRM-30 Stalker in the meantime.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'd go with this Stalker instead:

RHINO STALKER

That combined with these quirks:

Laser Duration: -10%
Missile Weapon Cooldown: 10%
Missile Weapon Range: 15%
Missile Weapon Velocity: 10%
Acceleration: 25%
Deceleration: 25%
Turn Rate: 25%
Torso Angle Yaw: +20°
Torso Yaw Speed: 35%

It is very mean.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Devorum posted:

I went crazy and thought about putting AC/2s on my Cent-AH to check out their new crit-seeking, and...is there any weapon so poorly balanced in the game as this gun? I can either mount an AC/10 or 2 AC/2s. 3 AC/2s is 4 tons heavier than an AC/20. I get that they fire fast and you get a lot of ammo per ton, but...really?

I'm having a blast in my SRM-30 Stalker in the meantime.

That's just there so smaller mechs can't boat a weapon that has to be boated to be effective. Unless of course you're using the Clan LBX-2 which is a Good Weapon on Clan Lights.

But seriously, if you're with a bunch of SRM dudes, a Timber Wolf with 3xSRM6, 4 SPL and a LBX-20 is great for stealing kills on open-torso targets.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm new to this game so I'd like some comments on my current mech.

I've built an Ebon Jaguar that has two ac/10s, and LRM 5 and a medium laser. She has two ballistic hardpoints, one energy hardpoint, two missile hardpoints, and an ACM hardpoint. Her max tonnage is 65.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Here's the Griffin build I've been using lately

GRF-3M

it tanks very well even with the XL, shields the important right torso effectively, and can get in and out while dishing out a lot of damage very quickly

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Number19 posted:

I'd go with this Stalker instead:

RHINO STALKER

That combined with these quirks:

Laser Duration: -10%
Missile Weapon Cooldown: 10%
Missile Weapon Range: 15%
Missile Weapon Velocity: 10%
Acceleration: 25%
Deceleration: 25%
Turn Rate: 25%
Torso Angle Yaw: +20°
Torso Yaw Speed: 35%

It is very mean.

Just slapped the medium lasers on and tried it out. It's good, and doesn't seem to run quite as hot SRM-30 and a LL. At some point I should probably consider getting a couple more Stalkers to Elite this thing. the %m has been one of my favorite 'Mechs since it was released. I think I've probably gotten at least 125-150K XP with it over time, even with my long breaks from playing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

I've built an Ebon Jaguar that has two ac/10s, and LRM 5 and a medium laser. She has two ballistic hardpoints, one energy hardpoint, two missile hardpoints, and an ACM hardpoint. Her max tonnage is 65.

Play around with http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=280 to see what you can do. I'd recommend focusing on one type of thing (brawling, sniping, lrming) and then set your mech up to do that, and only that. (Be careful, smurfy's mechlab starts you with no armour, so use the tools menu to max it first)

Trying to carry one type of everything doesn't work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kurzon posted:

That's a bad build because it's bitsy: the ml and the lrm are just a waste of space. Decided what range you want to fight at and stack weapons to hit that range. Maybe swap out the lrm and ml for a large pulse, if you can fit it?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Devorum posted:

Just slapped the medium lasers on and tried it out. It's good, and doesn't seem to run quite as hot SRM-30 and a LL. At some point I should probably consider getting a couple more Stalkers to Elite this thing. the %m has been one of my favorite 'Mechs since it was released. I think I've probably gotten at least 125-150K XP with it over time, even with my long breaks from playing.

A Rhino will always be hot but the general hope is that you only need to shoot twice to kill your target. Then you go cool off for a bit before someone else walks in front of you again.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Kurzon posted:

Drop the LRM5. A single medium is also a waste of time on a heavy mech. SRMs are good so feel free to use those and as said above, a large laser will mesh with your AC10s range-wise.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I didn't realize this had happened already. I'm in it for the corgis and the whiskey.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurzon posted:

If you want a dakka Jaguar, this might work

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=280&l=d877359cceaaa3ca10331675f5cfd7b2ef0f8e49

I got that from here, which is a site run by a comp player. Most of the builds are reasonable or at least good starting points

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/ebon-jaguar/

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2015

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

crowbb posted:

The primary problem is that this isn't a BT game, it's a Tetris funding simulator

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I run my ebons with 2ppc and 1 small laser (forces the ppcs into the shoulder) and filled with heatsinks
2ll and a uac5
all the lrms

3 ebons and and an arctic cheater with 6 spl for CW.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Has everyone changed account? Or is no one online right now? My friend list is 40 OFFLINE people <.< Just need to join a game to set up the faction, as per OP, since I have no idea how that's supposed to work and I don't want to mess it up and be forced not to squawk anymore

EDIT: hey looks like Banano is online at least

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 11, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
someone made a comic guide to group MWO tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573089143

p. cool actually

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
watching streamers try this game out is fascinating

edit: and wol dropped with them

teepo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 12, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teepo posted:

there was a dude earlier (with like 220k subscribers) running a Stormcrow with two LRM20s, two SRM-2s, and a NARC, and he was firing his LRMs at close range without locking

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pattonesque posted:

someone made a comic guide to group MWO tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573089143

p. cool actually

This is excellent and should be distributed on pamphlets.

What's a good target to aim for on SRM ammo capacity? I was running around with 7 tons of ammo for 4xSRM6+A and a pair of medium lasers or small pulses, but I feel like removing 2 tons to fit a pair of medium pulses and make the Catapult arms less likely to be ammo racked could be a good idea. I tried it for one round and pulled out four kills, but that's as likely to be from bad new players as anything else.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Stop making me want to play this game again.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

If you want a dakka Jaguar, this might work

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=280&l=d877359cceaaa3ca10331675f5cfd7b2ef0f8e49

I got that from here, which is a site run by a comp player. Most of the builds are reasonable or at least good starting points

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/ebon-jaguar/

That is a great build. I use it quite often. The 10's are brutal. If you want more srms plus some medium range cockpit shake try this. Also works great. I like the ebon jag more than the timby for this.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=283&l=8180663ab2827297d3f9b5d72e792c8a68e53a30

After playing around with SRM 4's vs SRM 6's I think the 4's are better on anything sub assault. Fire faster, better groupings, etc.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
So, funny story...I think someone may have used my account without my knowledge during my absence.

I've logged in, and all my mechs had some bullshit loadout; also there was this stupid thing in my mechbay (never seen it or the paintjob before):

It had a ac/20 + lrm loadout :allears:

Also, someone has sold all my SRM6s and has installed a single Artemis+SMR6 on my Cent :sigh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

So, funny story...I think someone may have used my account without my knowledge during my absence.

I've logged in, and all my mechs had some bullshit loadout; also there was this stupid thing in my mechbay (never seen it or the paintjob before):

It had a ac/20 + lrm loadout :allears:

Also, someone has sold all my SRM6s and has installed a single Artemis+SMR6 on my Cent :sigh:

everyone who bought a certain package got that robot/paint job gratis

dunno about the rest though

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pattonesque posted:

there was a dude earlier (with like 220k subscribers) running a Stormcrow with two LRM20s, two SRM-2s, and a NARC, and he was firing his LRMs at close range without locking

That's the stock loadout for the Stormcrow D. You can see it here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=185&l=stock Maybe there's a Stormcrow D in the trial mech rotation?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

everyone who bought a certain package got that robot/paint job gratis

dunno about the rest though

Ah well, happier that way :) Apparently it was offered as a loyalty reward BattleMech, featuring a unique skin and a 30% Cbill bonus. It was rewarded to any player who purchased MC.png before October 21, 2014. according to the wiki. Also, it's a Cent with no Energy and 3 ballistics, (also no Double HS yet, since I've never used it)...guess that now that MGs are viable it can be used with those and some SRMs?

Guess the rest is due to fooling around during the (at the time presumed) last days of WoL then. I also had a Stalker with a ton of Streak SRM2s.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah well, happier that way :) Apparently it was offered as a loyalty reward BattleMech, featuring a unique skin and a 30% Cbill bonus. It was rewarded to any player who purchased MC.png before October 21, 2014. according to the wiki. Also, it's a Cent with no Energy and 3 ballistics, (also no Double HS yet, since I've never used it)...guess that now that MGs are viable it can be used with those and some SRMs?

Guess the rest is due to fooling around during the (at the time presumed) last days of WoL then. I also had a Stalker with a ton of Streak SRM2s.

you can also do SRMs and an AC/20 on it. It's kind of nasty with the missile changes

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i want to physically hurt all pubbies

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone have a good build for the loyalty Cicada? I've tried it with the stock loadout, and with 4xMPL. The MPL worked ok, but I feel I could eke a little more performance out of it.

I'm seriously considering selling my Grasshoppers and Zeuses. Even now, they just don't seem salvageable.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Banano posted:

i want to physically hurt all pubbies

welcome back my man

Devorum posted:

Does anyone have a good build for the loyalty Cicada? I've tried it with the stock loadout, and with 4xMPL. The MPL worked ok, but I feel I could eke a little more performance out of it.

I'm seriously considering selling my Grasshoppers and Zeuses. Even now, they just don't seem salvageable.

Loyalty Cicada makes a decent ERPPC poptart, runs a bit hot though

Grasshopper can do serviceable laservomit, like maybe this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=254&l=51a17283d357135123ff1039afdf5dc6e6be9619

Zeuses I'm not sold on. I feel like they could potentially be faster baby Atlases with those missile hardpoints and structure quirks, but the lack of an AC/20 hurts them -- you have to go with SRMs and medium pulses

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

Zeuses I'm not sold on. I feel like they could potentially be faster baby Atlases with those missile hardpoints and structure quirks, but the lack of an AC/20 hurts them -- you have to go with SRMs and medium pulses

I've never been worried about a Zeus. I generally just ignore them for last when doing targeting priorities. I just sold all my Zeuses today.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I want to run around and be an annoying light that shoots butts, but mostly be annoying as gently caress. Making the game less enjoyable for others is how I feel alive. How I do?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
firestarter for actual damage, or spider if you just want to be an absolutely annoying dickhole.

spider is also a lot cheaper

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I want to run around and be an annoying light that shoots butts, but mostly be annoying as gently caress. Making the game less enjoyable for others is how I feel alive. How I do?

Check the second post for a good light butt-shooting guide! soon you will be shooting robutts with the best of them

Then buy three Arctic Cheetahs, and put five or six small pulse lasers on one of them, like this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=4c8046b09586269a1affa86b6a84ea01c195bd60

three of these together can own bones all by themselves

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

teepo posted:

edit: and wol dropped with them

Link please.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Those both sound good, once I have dinner I'll try to find some goons to suck with as I learn the ways of butt tickling.

edit: I saw one mech called an Urbanmech but didn't see anything about it in this thread, is it a light as well? Playing as a mechanized trashcan sounds amazing.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 12, 2015

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Urbie is technically the best mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I like a Sarah's Jenner (jr7-d) with 4spl and two srm4s, which you apply to robo butts all at once then run away giggling. It's a good assassin build, though the firestarter is more optimal.

E: ∆ it is known ∆

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread