Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Most cities have regulations about cabs for exactly this.

That is not the reason why cabs are regulated in most cities, to be clear. There is definitely public interest in some regulation of vehicles for hire to ensure that drivers are safe and professional, but in my opinion cab regulation and medallion schemes have mostly been captured by the industry to create cartels and artificially restrict competition and price pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

That is not the reason why cabs are regulated in most cities, to be clear. There is definitely public interest in some regulation of vehicles for hire to ensure that drivers are safe and professional, but in my opinion cab regulation and medallion schemes have mostly been captured by the industry to create cartels and artificially restrict competition and price pressure.

I think all the data would bear that out, yes. Cab companies talk about accessibility only in order to take shots at Uber. If you've ever taken an accessible cab, it's generally a miserable experience.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

All I know is cabs are terrible and unreliable in my area. I once waited 2 hours for one to pick me up at my mechanic during off-peak weekday hours. I only waited that long because I kept calling and was told "ok 20 more minutes" repeatedly, a bus ride with 2 transfers would have taken me an hour. Uber is here now and the longest I've had to wait was 20 minutes at 5 in the morning on a Saturday.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

All I know is cabs are terrible and unreliable in my area. I once waited 2 hours for one to pick me up at my mechanic during off-peak weekday hours. I only waited that long because I kept calling and was told "ok 20 more minutes" repeatedly, a bus ride with 2 transfers would have taken me an hour. Uber is here now and the longest I've had to wait was 20 minutes at 5 in the morning on a Saturday.

Yeah it's great for the customer, but awful for the drivers and is not sustainable, that's the point. Eventually what a bad deal it is for the drivers will come to a head; it's easier to see what it's doing to their cars/insurance after they've been doing it a very long time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
How much more (typically, I guess) would commercial insurance like that cost over vanilla personal coverage?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

How much more (typically, I guess) would commercial insurance like that cost over vanilla personal coverage?
None of the uber drivers I know pay for it, but they think the rate will at least triple. The commercial insurance on my work van is about 40% higher, but I don't carry passengers. And you need a separate policy for non-commercial vehicles in the household.

Jan 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it's great for the customer, but awful for the drivers and is not sustainable, that's the point. Eventually what a bad deal it is for the drivers will come to a head; it's easier to see what it's doing to their cars/insurance after they've been doing it a very long time.

I really doubt it will just come to a head by spontaneous driver revolt because there will always be people out there willing to work very cheaply, but class action litigation and regulation will make things more difficult. The clock is ticking fast on human driven uber vehicles, though, so eventually the issues will solve themselves.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great uber chat.. A+++

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Iron Lung posted:

I asked that very question and there was a really long winded answer that I stopped listening too. So driving across states makes the most sense.

Bro is running weed from CA to AZ. It's the only logical explanation.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

il serpente cosmico posted:

Bro is running weed from CA to AZ. It's the only logical explanation.

If you could make it past the omnipresent AZ police traps then it could be very GWM.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Among many BWM aspects of Uber, Uber's implied valuation based on VC funding is $60-70B. That's more than Ford, GM, Honda, etc. Obviously there's a lot of earnings and not a lot of assets which people used to come to that valuation but it just screams tech bubble to me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Weed is going to get delivered in a self-driving car at some point, isn't it

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Weed is going to get delivered in a self-driving car at some point, isn't it

Via amazon drone.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

antiga posted:

Among many BWM aspects of Uber, Uber's implied valuation based on VC funding is $60-70B. That's more than Ford, GM, Honda, etc. Obviously there's a lot of earnings and not a lot of assets which people used to come to that valuation but it just screams tech bubble to me.

I'm trying to save cash for this very reason. A correction can't be too far around the corner, I just need the commercial real estate market to stay strong for another 2 years...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

antiga posted:

That and $19B for WhatsApp, $2.5B for Mojang, etc... etc.. Valuations for tech/software companies has gotten insane again.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The New Zealand property bubble is escalating. We just had an OCR reduction from the central bank of 0.25% yesterday despite the Fed lining up for an increase of 0.25% soon. Auckland investors stuck with the 30% equity rule from October have headed to Wellington to invest. Prices are going $150k to $300k above the rateable value. I'm living in one of the areas where the prices are going crazy but all the cheap money around is changing behaviour.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...or-fewer-houses

The transition from trying to get a cheap price to desperately trying to stretch finances to buy reminds me of the run up to the 1987 crash. Even I'm starting to get concerned about economic stability. Some have benefited though as I had one excited architect say that he'd sold his house for a really good price. After reading that article I understand why he was so happy now, it wasn't getting an $50k than anticipated happy but something more than that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomBlue posted:

That and $19B for WhatsApp, $2.5B for Mojang, etc... etc.. Valuations for tech/software companies has gotten insane again.

You're reasoning about this wrong. These deals are mostly done in stock (not sure about the Mojang deal) so if everyone is inflated then it all washes out. (And if everyone is inflated then there aren't other deals to be found on "uninflated" terms.) Better to reason in terms of percentage of market cap and cash reserves, for the relevant parts of the deal. Whatsapp's acquisition price is about 7.5% of today's FB market cap, not sure what it was at the time of the acquisition (which was about $22B at closing).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

You're reasoning about this wrong. These deals are mostly done in stock (not sure about the Mojang deal) so if everyone is inflated then it all washes out. (And if everyone is inflated then there aren't other deals to be found on "uninflated" terms.) Better to reason in terms of percentage of market cap and cash reserves, for the relevant parts of the deal. Whatsapp's acquisition price is about 7.5% of today's FB market cap, not sure what it was at the time of the acquisition (which was about $22B at closing).

The big difference is that this bubble seems to be based around real products this time. I mean, minecraft is wildly profitable and a huge brand at this point. What'sapp does things. Uber does things. Last time it was "Vague idea for a website that doesn't sell anything = 10B".

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

RandomBlue posted:

$2.5 billion for the biggest selling video game in history isn't really terribly outlandish.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Uber is a VC deal, I think airbnb was as well... so those are 'real' implied valuations as near as I can tell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

antiga posted:

Uber is a VC deal, I think airbnb was as well... so those are 'real' implied valuations as near as I can tell.

Right, the person to whom I was applying was talking about acquisition valuations, I believe. Some valuations are indeed based on last-transaction FMV, though. (Beware the secondary market!)

For VCs it's helpful to reason in terms of "percentage of fund". They have to invest it all in that sector, and Uber is less likely than a randomly-selected pitch to go to zero. In terms of raising their next fund, being in on a successful Uber is higher positive impact than being in on a failed Uber is negatively.

Biggest problem with investing in Uber as a VC is that you have to work with Travis.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SlapActionJackson posted:

Pickups have been popular here forever, but the $60K luxotruck is definitely a new beast. I keep waiting for one of the manufacturers to find the market top in this segment and am shocked at how well they do every time they blow through another price barrier. At this rate, the $100K 2021 Platinum Deluxe F150 Brougham appears to be headed for reality.

Ask my friend about leasing a $73k f150 platinum with a higher lease payment than my purchased x3 :shepface:

Edit: while having a perfectly functional 2012 not-platinum but oh the rails on the side come out when you open the door!!! rear end coolers! Etc

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

Ask my friend about leasing a $73k f150 platinum with a higher lease payment than my purchased x3 :shepface:

Edit: while having a perfectly functional 2012 not-platinum but oh the rails on the side come out when you open the door!!! rear end coolers! Etc

All I can imagine is Homer Simpson haggling the lease payment higher.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Devian666 posted:

All I can imagine is Homer Simpson haggling the lease payment higher.

The worst is the guy is traveling 75%+ of the year because he works in disaster restoration. His ex drives his car more than him and that was to haul her poo poo out of his house to move out

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, it's a lot stock swapping hands, but Facebook paid $5 billion in cash for WhatsApp. For a company that made 20 million the previous year.

Facebook probably knows what it's doing. In retrospect, they got Instagram cheaply. Still, it's tough seeing the larger vision when they already had a popular messaging app.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Krispy Kareem posted:

Sure, it's a lot stock swapping hands, but Facebook paid $5 billion in cash for WhatsApp. For a company that made 20 million the previous year.

Facebook probably knows what it's doing. In retrospect, they got Instagram cheaply. Still, it's tough seeing the larger vision when they already had a popular messaging app.

WhatsApp has a user base of 900 Million. Facebook doesn't want a competitor being able to leverage a user base of that size.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but we had a fair bit of cash too, and what better to do with it?

I think that over time the Whatsapp acquisition will be seen as a very shrewd move, like the IG one is (IMO).

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Nitrox posted:

Is that how much they make after he lost that job?

A friend of a friend is an Uber driver in Philly. He's telling us that an average Uber driver can make something close to $25/hour working peak hours. There are 6-7 peak hours in a day and they're not evenly distributed, so you either have a 3 hour window or working regular rate in off peak hours. It's a lovely system. I'm dying to hear as to why he can't just drive for Uber in the new city, or anywhere closer.

Nah, thats what they were making out here when they were living rent free. I think her new salary is somewhere around 70k, but his is obviously zero right now. Confirmed with him that the trouble with CA is that yeah you need a CA license and registration. Everything he says to me about California is what I thought everyone knew about living in California. Since its best state, gotta pay to play the game there I guess! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7eTJUwPDE

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Anybody got any bad with money stories?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Moneyball posted:

I paid :10bux: for a forum membership once.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, but we had a fair bit of cash

Hi Mark Z.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I paid $15 for a boat in a video game. I'll probably do it again. I regret nothing.

Someday I'll buy a real boat and I may regret that.

Jan 11, 2004

antiga posted:

Do you have information about Uber's business and financials to make that judgement or does it just seem like a super big number to you?

Jan 11, 2004

Noggin Monkey posted:

I'm trying to save cash for this very reason. A correction can't be too far around the corner, I just need the commercial real estate market to stay strong for another 2 years...

There's always a correction coming, the trick is correctly guessing how many months or years until it comes. Tl;dr market timing is dumb

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Moneyball posted:

My facebook friend's fancy cafe/community center opens on the 18th and he's already maxed out five credit cards for it and is really excited about it.

I'm not sure what his plan is as far as "breaking even" is right now, let alone paying down 50k of debt at a 20%ish interest rate, but aren't restaurants/small businesses in general expected to operate in the red for the first year or so, even when they're doing well?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Inept posted:

Hi Mark Z.

Subjunctive is actually Sheryl Sandberg.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I just remembered that I got to watch my old boss light over a quarter million dollars on fire in under 6 months while opening, and subsequently closing, a restaurant.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nocheez posted:

I just remembered that I got to watch my old boss light over a quarter million dollars on fire in under 6 months while opening, and subsequently closing, a restaurant.

He got off easy, most restaurants lose a lot more than that before the owner comes to their senses. Opening a (restaurant/bar/coffee shop/brewery) is BWM.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Do you have information about Uber's business and financials to make that judgement or does it just seem like a super big number to you?

Nope, and I said in my post that there are surely financial justifications based on the current earnings and projected future earnings. If someone asked me to invest my own dime in Uber my first reaction would be concern about how exposed they are to lawsuits. Uber is one big decision about their drivers being employees vs. contractors or one really good taxi and limousine commission lobbying effort away from being in a heap of trouble. To me it sounds too similar to the dot-com bubble for comfort (where projected earnings and valuations of anything.com were out of control). If I was looking at the company as a VC the rules would be different as a previous poster mentioned.

EDIT: I would wish running a restaurant on my worst enemies. Grueling work and hiring/retention must be awful.

antiga fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nail Rat posted:

He got off easy, most restaurants lose a lot more than that before the owner comes to their senses. Opening a (restaurant/bar/coffee shop/brewery) is BWM.

That post about the Coffee Shop Opening Experience and Timeline is loving professional grade, and I can't find it.

• Locked thread