Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diamato
Jul 17, 2006

Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man
The Nanaimo Confessions facebook page had a great post today. Text only because I'm lazy.

Some anonymous guy on facebook posted:

i confess that i laughed out loud at the cbc news story about suicide rate going up by 30% in alberta since the layoffs in the oilfields hahahaha still cracks me up thinking about it....
Awwww poor meatheads cant handle not living like theyre rich off of grunt work. Poor babies can't afford their high maintenance twenty year old girlfriends anymore, their five bedroom houses, their cocaine debts, their stupid huge trucks, living way above their means etc...

The greatest thing about it is that these are the types that have consistently talked down about the homeless and unemployed saying "why dont those lazy bums go get a job" or they condescend the employees at fast food or retail because they aren't cool and macho like oil workers who are dumb rednecks for the most part. Next time you see an unemployed ex oil patch worker redneck make sure to tell them to get off their lazy asses and get a job.

These morons were acting like they were big poo poo and real special for earning buckets of money for doing work better suited to a monkey.

If you find it to be hilarious sweet justice that these morons are hurting now I advise you check out Craigslist trucks for sale for all the giant pointless lovely trucks for sale by these idiots who can no longer afford them hahahaha

Reaction seems split right down the middle between "yeah gently caress those oil-patch grunts" and "you're a monster for thinking this way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Diamato posted:

The Nanaimo Confessions facebook page had a great post today. Text only because I'm lazy.

Reaction seems split right down the middle between "yeah gently caress those oil-patch grunts" and "you're a monster for thinking this way!"

It wasn't me, but I agree with every word of it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What the gently caress a nanaimo confessions Facebook group

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
desperately seeking a way out of nanaimo

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

What the gently caress a nanaimo confessions Facebook group

Stop the misdirection, we know you posted that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope there's a Abbots can't afford to live in Vancouver facebook group

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nanaimo confessions: I visited nanaimo for a couple days and had a really good time but I only briefly wandered around "downtown" and spent most of the time on Newcastle Island and the floating pub (which I got to and from repeatedly for free because some dude gave me a bunch of passes to some event that was going on in the evening). I thought their downtown waterfront was fairly impressive for a lovely town their size, good work pirate mayor.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Nanaimo confessions: I visited nanaimo for a couple days and had a really good time but I only briefly wandered around "downtown" and spent most of the time on Newcastle Island and the floating pub. I thought their downtown waterfront was fairly impressive for a lovely town their size, good work pirate mayor.

floating pub sucks, its a huge gimmick to take the short ferry

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nanaimo is basically like a terrible suburb but without a good city a thirty minute drive away to get away to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is the hells angels clubhouse still there

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is the hells angels clubhouse still there

No, it and the bitchin' tudor whorehouse up in Courtenay both burnt down ages ago. :(

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

peter banana posted:

How does that work? How are those skills transferable?

Banks will pretty much hire anyone who is an engineer. If you just have an engineering degree you can gross about 70-90k working various analyst jobs. With an MBA from a good target school you can find yourself on a trading floor or in some kind of capital markets job as mentioned by CI. Walking in with an MBA, good grades and being reasonably young (less than 30) gets you a nice Investment Banking Associate job at direct entry in most bulge bracket firms.

The secret is that anyone can do a banking job. It's not hard. They have excel templates you work with to do financial modeling and you basically make projections of what mergers and acquisitions will look like or what company net worth will look like after a certain amount of time and then create long power point presentations called "Pitchbooks" on short notice. The entire purpose is to basically provide the backup for more senior bankers to close major multi million/billion dollar deals. It's high stress, lots of work and people have very little tolerance for failure. Most people lost their job after about 1-2 years. A select few survive into the long run to become managing directors and major big shots (at the price of literally everything including their health and marriages). It's a LOT of grunt work. You're an on-demand source of statistics and figures for your senior staff.

So going back to skills and education. No amount of education can really prepare you that well for ibanking. The real education is the 2-4 week training process they put you through before you start your job. The only reason engineers are so represented in this field is because its a really difficult degree to get so there are less of them than humanities majors.

Here is the ranking for who gets into ibanking:

1. Undergrads from "target" schools (Ivy League + some of the nicer schools)
2. Engineers
3. Finance majors with extremely high grades and really good connections + social skills who pound the pavement and suck a lot of dick to get the job.
4. MBAs younger than 30 who skip the entry-level tier for an IB Associate position.

These are less about your skills and more about how exclusive or difficult it is thus limiting the supply of qualified candidates. Plus the amount of effort it takes to get an Engineering degree or high grades in another degree often involves working 12 hour days anyway so it gets you into the mindset required to excel at this job (100+ hour work weeks).

I could never do it. I gave up on banking ages ago because I hosed up my undergrad and would have to retake a 4 year undergrad just to qualify for an MBA. My only real upward mobility at this point is if I took all the requisite courses required for a CPA designation and written the exam. But at 28 years of age I think I'm too late for that too. So being a salesman who tops out at low tier sales director is about all I can hope for if I play my cards right.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 12, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah fewer and fewer Engineers these days actually do Engineering when they graduate, unless they're in one of the"traditional" subfields like Civil.

A big chunk of my class ended up in some sort of position at a consulting firm (management or technical), some in finance, sales, a couple went into public policy, etc... Maybe half ended up in a coding gig or something else people would consider "Engineering" work.

I did three and a half years at a technical consulting firm after I graduated because it pays pretty good and they're really just looking for people with good general problem solving skills. I knew almost nothing about the field I was consulting in until they trained me.

I'd imagine IBanking is similar except the hours are even more insane.

However going from a really technical/design undergrad that lets you flex creativity into something like that is pretty draining and that's why a lot of those people (myself included) end up going back for grad school after a few years.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 12, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Guillotine all finance workers imo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All this being said, there's still money in the factory if you are the person who owns the product rather than the machines.

Example: guy designed these plastic things you slap down on dikes during flood season, just a flat plastic with spikes on both sides. Fuckers clearing $1m/yr in profit selling them to the Albertan government and municipalities in the USA. Another guy came up with an odor-locked weed container, making insane money selling it in Washington and Colorado.

So yeah, just design something really really generic and you'll make tons of cash, guaranteed.

Also, applying for jobs and I came across this gem:

quote:

- In order to work together, it is very important that our values match. Please review our values here http://screencast.com/t/w7BMMeqyVc and discuss how your personal values align with ours in your cover letter.

You know what would really improve your ROI, company? Hiring HR people who don't huff paint.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's almost like innovation will drive economic growth!! How can this beeeee????!?

gently caress it lets go back to seizing the means of production with our collectivist farms and eventually we'll be able to pay bus drivers and teachers $500k/year

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rime posted:

All this being said, there's still money in the factory if you are the person who owns the product rather than the machines.

Example: guy designed these plastic things you slap down on dikes during flood season, just a flat plastic with spikes on both sides. Fuckers clearing $1m/yr in profit selling them to the Albertan government and municipalities in the USA. Another guy came up with an odor-locked weed container, making insane money selling it in Washington and Colorado.

So yeah, just design something really really generic and you'll make tons of cash, guaranteed.

Intellectual property is really where the money is. Even if you didn't move manufacturing offshore, it's been my experience that a lot of companies still depend on companies like Sanmina, Foxconn, Celestica etc for manufacturing. I've called on companies who basically took the entire shop floor of their building and gave it to a contract manufacturer to manage and control. Basically two companies operating in the same building.

Almost every electronics product you see these days is no longer made in house by the company you see on the label. If it is, it's usually a limited run or a high value product that they need direct control over.

By the way you're either an idiot or extremely dedicated if you studied engineering and then went to work in your field. People scrape engineers off the bottom of their boots. They start between 50 to 60k which is garbage money for the amount of effort involved in becoming one. In some cases it can go as low as 45k. You're way better off just working for a bank and racking in the big bux. Or if you're truly talented in design just make up a startup and start an app or something.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Nobody is "better off" working for a bank, unless they are a sociopath.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

Nobody is "better off" working for a bank, unless they are a sociopath.

Oh dear good pay, relative job security,and minimal overtime (although from what I've heard banks actually pay overtime which is more than most Engineering or software jobs lol get hosed exemptions from the labour act). The horror.

But no you're right the guy doing UX design for CIBC's iPhone app is an utter monster. Some kind of SuperHitler.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 12, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I don't know what position you are referring to but we were talking about investment banking.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If you work in the financial services industry in any capacity you are a worthless human. Worse than worthless. You make the world a worse place just by existing.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
To summarize the last two posts: :qq:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I worked for TD bank they were the only company I ever worked for that not only did more than the absolute bare minimum they legally had to for employees, but actually went above and beyond by paying overtime before they legally had to, etc.

I'm not going to deny that banks are scum, but they're not a lovely place to work by any means.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"It was worth it for the benefits!" he gasped as he was thrown against a bloodied wall, hands and feet trussed

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

THC posted:

"It was worth it for the benefits!" he gasped as he was thrown against a bloodied wall, hands and feet trussed

Banks according to Corporate Knights are the top 20 best places to work in Canada. Even better then the much loved Canadian Govt. for inclusion, gender/ethnic hiring standards and corporate governance.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

On a more relevant note, did anyone catch the Financial Post editorial on how the new loan requirements will crush the Alberta homebuilder/developer business model ? Good times. CIBC, Western and BMO are going to get loving smoked on non performing loans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The federal minister acknowledged the new measure will affect fewer than 10,000 home purchasers, or one per cent of the total market.

“We see that the market in general is stable. Canadians should feel comfortable with their home purchases and we recognize that our job is to ensure that remains the case,” he said.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

The federal minister acknowledged the new measure will affect fewer than 10,000 home purchasers, or one per cent of the total market.

“We see that the market in general is stable. Canadians should feel comfortable with their home purchases and we recognize that our job is to ensure that remains the case,” he said.

hahahahahahaha

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

hahahahahahaha

Yeah, its not like small sections of the market have no bearing on debt/loan portfolios. I mean, ABCP was only 2% of the entire paper market in Canada (2005). ~~sarc

(im laughing with you, those numbers are for each year's loan origination. how many home owners have them since 2008 in Alberta and that number gets even more hilarious).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

etalian posted:

We see that the market in general is stable. Canadians should feel comfortable with their home purchases and we recognize that our job is to ensure that remains the case,” he said.

This is from the same government that does not track foreign purchases of Canadian real estate, they have no meaningful metrics to base that statement on.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

etalian posted:

I'm so mad at our government. This mess was avoidable, but someone just had to goose the economy with real estate and hope that the oil bet paid off.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hal_2005 posted:

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Oof, you sure told me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

hahahahahahaha

In politics it's sort of a red flag when someone says trust me everything will be ok don't worry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It should actually be the government's job to make sure house prices and rental rates aren't sky high.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
All levels of government basically all across the country have shown basically zero interest in really addressing housing affordability and it's insane.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

All levels of government basically all across the country have shown basically zero interest in really addressing housing affordability and it's insane.

It's mainly because the canadian economy is now FIRE and commodities.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The reality is that the government at this point simply exists to move capital from people to the oligarchs.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

cowofwar posted:

The reality is that the government at this point since the dawn of civilization simply exists to move capital from people to the oligarchs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Would rather have low rents than sky high house and rent price.

Also a house isn't a liquid asset so it's not like home appreciation is putting more real money in your pocket each month

(Unless you go the HELOC to Cancun and truck equity plan)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Free rent for a month? Calgary, Edmonton landlords try to woo renters as prices fall
Geoffrey Morgan

CALGARY – As oil continues to slide, Alberta landlords are offering more and more incentives in an attempt to woo renters to their properties at the same time as rental prices are falling in the province’s two largest cities.

The number of houses, condos and apartments for rent in Calgary and Edmonton has risen sharply in 2015, while rents have fallen across each of those categories, according to data from RentFaster.ca, one of Alberta’s largest property rental websites.

Monthly rents for condos in Calgary have fallen more than 20 per cent since last year to an average of $1,716 from $2,150, RentFaster data shows.

“It’s a pretty big drop but at the same time we had four or five years of really good upticks – that’s four to eight per cent per year,” said Mark Hawkins, owner of RentFaster.ca. He added there’s a clear correlation between rental prices and oil prices in both of the province’s major cities.

In Calgary, the average rental price for either a house or an apartment is down 10 per cent over the course of 2015, while the number of available listings has spiked. The number of houses for rent in Calgary is up to 3,450 available units, a 64 per cent jump, while the number of apartments for rent is up 43 per cent, according to RentFaster.

The situation is similar in Edmonton, where the average rental price for a house has dropped eight per cent, though the number of listings is up 73 per cent. In the apartment market, the average price has fallen two per cent while the number of listings is up 26 per cent.

FP1209_Calgry_Rent-GS-C“I think the market has shifted from being in favour of the landlord to more of a balanced market, where the landlord and tenant are more on even footing,” said Hawkins.

Hawkins said that landlords are increasingly advertising incentives to tenants — such as a month of free rent on a 12-month lease — and that tenants are no longer in a rush to sign leases. “In general terms, we’ve regressed to 2012, 2013 prices,” Hawkins said.

The market for fully-furnished condos, popular with oil and gas consultants who move to Calgary on short-term assignments, has been particularly hard hit as the oil price rout has continued.

The West Texas Intermediate oil price continued to fall Tuesday, dipping briefly below US$37.

Mainstreet Equities Corp., one of the largest residential landlords in Alberta, with apartment properties in British Columbia and Saskatchewan as well, said vacancy rates in the province are now comparable with other markets across the country.

The downturn has caused vacancy rates in Calgary to climb to about 4.5 per cent, while Edmonton’s residential vacancy rate is five per cent.

“We’ve seen the effects of the recession affect our top-line revenue and we’ve seen the effects of the recession affect our vacancy rate,” president and CEO Bob Dhillon said, adding that high-salaried oil and gas workers are not his main clients. He said the average monthly rent across Mainstreet’s properties is $1,000.

By comparison, the average monthly rental price across all apartments in Calgary has fallen to $1,322 today from $1,478 last year, according to RentFaster.

“The effect of a higher vacancy rates and possible drop in rents is temporary,” Dhillon said of the apartment market, adding there is a lack of purpose-built apartment buildings in both Calgary and Edmonton.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/free-rent-for-a-month-calgary-edmonton-landlords-try-to-woo-renters-as-prices-fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

It's mainly because the canadian economy is now FIRE and commodities.

It's because the baby boomers who actually elect all our governments don't want to be told that the HELOCs that are funding their unsustainable lifestyles are going to collapse.