Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Lord of Hats posted:

Matthias Hunt? What's wrong with him?

His voice is very annoying and he pronounces things like Gitaxian Probe all wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
Hey, at least it's not the Wizards stream, where on 2 separate occasions today I tuned in just in time for 30+ seconds of dead air! :bravo:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mehall posted:

So my redraft pool tonight is garbage.
Highest card is foil forest (not the good one) at 5.60 tcg mid.

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

Kiora is extremely bad and I wouldn't play it in a draft deck.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

NivMizzet posted:

Design can probably be blamed for a lot that's wrong with this block, but at least Maro wanted to do the colorless symbol in BFZ but got voted down.

Further proof Maro knows better than just about anyone in design .

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more saying "It doesn't play nice with converge, therefore parasitic" is really pretty dumb

It also hates Devoid! Don't forget that the colorless mechanic and the colorless mechanic don't work well together. Which by extension gets Processors as all ingesters are devoid cards and nothing in true colorless below 7 mana exiles. {c}-cards are gonna have to do a lot of work to get over being bad with colorless cards. Converge is just part of it; Kozilek's Chaneller and Hedron Archive and Pilgrim's Eye are the only spells in BFZ that cost less than 6 mama and don't oppose colorless-only, because the rest are colored or punish colorless.

This is going to be dumb.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It would have made sense. Implement C in BFZ with reminder text and hint cards "C is colorless mana. (1) can be paid with any mana or colorless mana." Let that soak in over a set. The for the beginning of spoiler season they simply post new Kozilek, mic drop. Walk back on stage, show Wastes, mic drop again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It also hates Devoid! Don't forget that the colorless mechanic and the colorless mechanic don't work well together. Which by extension gets Processors as all ingesters are devoid cards and nothing in true colorless below 7 mana exiles. {c}-cards are gonna have to do a lot of work to get over being bad with colorless cards. Converge is just part of it; Kozilek's Chaneller and Hedron Archive and Pilgrim's Eye are the only spells in BFZ that cost less than 6 mama and don't oppose colorless-only, because the rest are colored or punish colorless.

Has anything been said about C only paying for C costs and not being usable for generic costs? Because if not, you're overreacting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BFZ is also going to be 1x whereas the new set, a small set, is going to be 2x. Give it a rest Chicken Little.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

It would have made sense. Implement C in BFZ with reminder text and hint cards "C is colorless mana. (1) can be paid with any mana or colorless mana." Let that soak in over a set. The for the beginning of spoiler season they simply post new Kozilek, mic drop. Walk back on stage, show Wastes, mic drop again.
People would have deduced C mana costs and lands really easily from a new mana symbol, though, meaning the reveal in Oath would be really underwhelming.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
MtG design peaked at Khans block. Its all downhill from here anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

BFZ is also going to be 1x whereas the new set, a small set, is going to be 2x. Give it a rest Chicken Little.

That changes everything re: colorless having no synergy with itself in pack 3 lest you pull a spawning bed.

It's also Constructed, that C cards won't work in Standard unless they are hilariously strong. And Kozilek in tron/MUD I guess. Being a theme in a small set does that.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
To be fair, pack three has channelers and all the scions.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm just going to be waiting on the inevitable draft watching random Jerkface McGee across from me open an expedition from both sets. (I still haven't pulled one, yet. I think I'm the only regular player at my store who hasn't. :( )

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

It's not as though you can't just play one color of devoid cards along with your diamond cards, or maybe even two colors depending on how good the mana is. The colorless matters cards play pretty well with diamond cards. Not sure how well the ingest/processor decks will work with only one pack of the BFZ cards, but wasn't that always going to be the case?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

That changes everything re: colorless having no synergy with itself in pack 3 lest you pull a spawning bed.

It's also Constructed, that C cards won't work in Standard unless they are hilariously strong. And Kozilek in tron/MUD I guess. Being a theme in a small set does that.

Dear friend: We have seen, at most, three cards out of all of Oath of the Gatewatch. Within the remaining cards, it is incredibly likely that we will see cards which meaningfully interact not only with colorless cards, but specifically with Ingestors and Processors. Cosi might do poo poo differently, but I think it's a hard sell that he's not able to help a brotha out.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Yeah no loving way they dont have Kozilek scions in oath.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
It'll be pretty funny if green in BFZ suddenly becomes much better in draft due to all the scion production. Suddenly a 3 mana make two 1/1s becomes pretty good if enables a bunch of cards that have CC in their mana cost (maybe a 2CC 4/4, or 4C removal spell, etc)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So when do we start speculating on Boreal Druid? Or did I miss it?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zoness posted:

In what deck would Kiora belong as long as Jace and Nissa are around?

Don't make Kiora your Narset.

GU Eldrazi Ramp.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can't even draft mono-colour in a draft normally, you definitely wouldn't be able to in a "colour" where you have to draft the basics. Presumably you'll play (C) + one or more colours that pairs naturally with it (eg green for scions or U/R/B for colorless matters). They always split themes across multiple colours because it makes drafting more interesting.

If you're in the (C) deck you'll probably spend the third pack picking up scions, colorless lands, colorless lords or whatever stuff you like in your second colour.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Niton posted:

Dear friend: We have seen, at most, three cards out of all of Oath of the Gatewatch. Within the remaining cards, it is incredibly likely that we will see cards which meaningfully interact not only with colorless cards, but specifically with Ingestors and Processors. Cosi might do poo poo differently, but I think it's a hard sell that he's not able to help a brotha out.

It's more likely it'll be like other small set mechanics i.e. not many cards and most of those blow. It just so happens to be one of those that demands you build rather specifically to it like Savior's cards-in-hand theme.

I'm guessing it'll be BoTG levels of "well that was disappointing *shrug*" though, not some cataclysm of bad set design.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fortunately there are decks in every competitive format that are already set up to meet those demands.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's more likely it'll be like other small set mechanics i.e. not many cards and most of those blow. It just so happens to be one of those that demands you build rather specifically to it like Savior's cards-in-hand theme.

I'm guessing it'll be BoTG levels of "well that was disappointing *shrug*" though, not some cataclysm of bad set design.

we have no idea! :speculate:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I read this as sarcastic at first before I saw who posted it. Here is how things probably go down:

I draft SickAggroRare McColorlessMana. I take a couple wastes in the first two packs and maybe a couple of other colorless-mana cards that fit with my strategy. I also pick up some of the devoid cards that are very likely going to be in this set, too! I get to pack 3, and I'm already set up well to take advantage of all of the B/R devoid cards. I do have to pay some extra attention to my colored costs, because I've already committed part of my mana base to being colorless. Colorless-Mana-Required cards are a small portion of my deck, but come with some extra oomph that makes it worth the extra work.

I open palm slam Kozilek in pack one, because that's how I roll. I take ramp cards, like Scion producers (because they're not going to straight-up abandon all themes!), and maybe a couple other Colorless cards, because I already have the tools to support it. In pack three, I'm probably grabbing big Eldrazi and all of the green scion cards which are suddenly way more useful! Heck, maybe I don't even need to take that many Wastes with all these scions.

I take Mirrorpool first, because it's not a big commitment. It turns out that W/U is what's open, and White has a fair number of WW-costed cards, so I can't really go deep on wastes. I resolve to maybe prioritize getting a colorless land or two in pack three, because that's all it takes to turn on mirrorpool, and at worst it's a CIPT colorless land. I am essentially just splashing colorless.

Oh man, converge is still a thing! In fact, it has actual payoff now! I'm getting all the sweet converge cards in Oath, because I don't need to spend picks on wastes, and maybe there's some colored-only fixing that some of the decks have to pass on in favor of colorless things. I don't care about the colorless cards at all, but it's not like the existence of cards that don't fit in my strategy has prevented me from executing it. The mechanic has impacted my draft even though I haven't even touched a colorless card, because it's changed the decisions around me.

In short, you have the dumbest argument here, seriously.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just because you were wrong about the spoilers being legit doesn't mean you need to double down and become even more of a crybaby about them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sickening posted:

He isn't Cedric is mostly the problem.

Cedric is the best commentator. :colbert:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Speaking of, he and Patrick are commenting on Sam Black playing Pyxis of Pandemonium in Modern.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Never not double down when you're wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Cedric is the best commentator. :colbert:

maybe if you read that guys posts you'd realize he doesn't have a problem with cedric

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The trick to making basic lands more draftable is to have the 23rd card type cards loving awful.

I drafted a bunch of basics in AVR!!!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mandatory lesbian posted:

maybe if you read that guys posts you'd realize he doesn't have a problem with cedric

Whoops looks like I missed whether or not a comma was there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

The trick to making basic lands more draftable is to have the 23rd card type cards loving awful.

I drafted a bunch of basics in AVR!!!

I draft basics in BFZ all the time because thyre purdy

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I love to draft some nice looking lands and 23rd cards are rarely good enough that i care i didn't pick one

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also foil basics are weirdly valuable

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

fakeneet asked: So, you said earlier that C in terms of mana production will happen regularly, C in terms of mana costs sparingly, but what I want to know is if you know / are allowed to tell us if Wastes will be printed in all/most sets from here on out.

A. It will not.

quote:

fattestfatty asked: Will colorless mana in the casting cost be used outside Zendikar?

A. It will not be something we use often, but it could show up again somewhere else if appropriate.

quote:

garookthemindscalper asked: Will colorless mana be a one set thing or will it be used in future sets?

A. Colorless mama in all sets us now . Most sets will not care about it like Oath of the Gatewatch.

Man. That's a shame.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Frozen_flame posted:

Speaking of, he and Patrick are commenting on Sam Black playing Pyxis of Pandemonium in Modern.

I've seen Pyxis in Lantern Control decks as Ghoulcaller Bells 5-8, the first time I played against it I made a very grog-y guy really made when I exiled a card to it face-up instead of face-down.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Just because you were wrong about the spoilers being legit doesn't mean you need to double down and become even more of a crybaby about them.

You know, I am making the same arguments again, and people didn't believe me then either. I think I'll just quietly seethe at the bad mechanic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I am making the same arguments again, and people didn't believe me then either. I think I'll just quietly seethe at the bad mechanic.

I look forward to you :spergin: about it again 2 months from now

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually the world will be overrun by vampires by then. I'm not saying it has anything to do with a certain cube designer, but I'm also not not saying it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Actually the world will be overrun by vampires by then. I'm not saying it has anything to do with a certain cube designer, but I'm also not not saying it either

"Aw gently caress TheKingofSprings I just got bit by a loving vampire! Don't play {c}-only cards! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"

- Orange Fluffy Sheep, Magic Thread poster, last words

• Locked thread