Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

Has anyone mentioned that there are boards that either can or will with a BIOS update, overclock locked Skylake chips via the base clock?

Well, it's loving happening. In this example, they're running a Core i3-6100 @ 4.7GHz. That's a 1GHz OC, for those playing at home.

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh boy I can't wait to tune the stuffing out of those DOHC two-bangers, esp. if the 4MB cache versions come out before Intel inevitably tries to swat this down in a blue rage of market segmentation

E: oh they're already released, thanks wikipedia
E2: wow those are expensive compared to the 6100, nevermind

I wonder how that BIOS handles BCLK OCs with Intel Turbo Boost on the i5 and i7? Might be disabled with how TechSpot's just not counting it in on the last page of the article.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 12, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Has anyone mentioned that there are boards that either can or will with a BIOS update, overclock locked Skylake chips via the base clock?

Well, it's loving happening. In this example, they're running a Core i3-6100 @ 4.7GHz. That's a 1GHz OC, for those playing at home.

Leave it to ASRock to do the weird bizarre groundbreaking poo poo (see also, H81 overclocking, 10G BASE-T X99 motherboard, 22 SATA port motherboard, PCIE 3.0 4x M.2 before Intel even made it a thing)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Sh4 posted:

Those can do 1.5V no problem, maybe its just bad luck or user error, ran mine at 1.6v for at least a month for science and nothing really changed (I had the theory that zapping an old cpu would make it OC more, i think it did something but my 5Ghz dream is still crushed)
No I meant that they can manage it, but it's not a 24/7 thing (or shouldn't be) as electromigration can get alot worse even if temperatures are kept in check. Tons of Northwood-A's died from it before people figured out that 1.8-1.9V was way too much voltage for them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HalloKitty posted:

God drat it, I bought a 6600k on Amazon literally six hours ago and it shipped three hours ago. :bahgawd:

Although... if I'm reading the article correctly, in order to support the higher base clocks you're going to want some of that overpriced 3Ghz, PC4-24000 RAM? It would suck if your killer OC got screwed by RAM instability from using regular, lower-rated modules, but buying higher-rated modules would eat most of the savings from buying a non-K 6600.

i3s would still be a great deal, though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

NihilCredo posted:

God drat it, I bought a 6600k on Amazon literally six hours ago and it shipped three hours ago. :bahgawd:

Although... if I'm reading the article correctly, in order to support the higher base clocks you're going to want some of that overpriced 3Ghz, PC4-24000 RAM? It would suck if your killer OC got screwed by RAM instability from using regular, lower-rated modules, but buying higher-rated modules would eat most of the savings from buying a non-K 6600.

i3s would still be a great deal, though.

Is it not possible with a Z170 board to just put the RAM at a lower multiplier?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.17 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($656.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1571.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-26 14:02 EST-0500

I haven't built a pc since early 2010. The last cpu I tried to overclock was the i7 920, and it wasn't a great experience. Temps were always too high, random crashes etc. Any opinions on the likelihood that I'll have problems overclocking this build? Any changes you would suggest?

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 26, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

plape tickler posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.17 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($656.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1571.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-26 14:02 EST-0500

I haven't built a pc since early 2010. The last cpu I tried to overclock was the i7 920, and it wasn't a great experience. Temps were always too high, random crashes etc. Any opinions on the likelihood that I'll have problems overclocking this build? Any changes you would suggest?

The r5 comes with 2 140mm fans which will be more than enough for that build already

You are overbuying on PSU but it wont hurt anything.

Ive had some issues with the gskill memory, make sure it is on the msi memory compatibility chart.

Use a jet.com account and get $50 off your bideo card.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don Lapre posted:

The r5 comes with 2 140mm fans which will be more than enough for that build already

You are overbuying on PSU but it wont hurt anything.

Ive had some issues with the gskill memory, make sure it is on the msi memory compatibility chart.

Use a jet.com account and get $50 off your bideo card.

Thanks. What memory do you like? I'm open to switching to whatever. I'm going to try to hit at least 4.5 ghz, which seems unlikely. No idea if I'll have to mess with memory settings to hit that speed. I also forgot to add a few storage drives to the build. I'll probably put in a couple 6 TB drives.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 26, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just check the MSI compatibility list for the board you picked. It's in the support link for the board.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don Lapre posted:

Just check the MSI compatibility list for the board you picked. It's in the support link for the board.

That ram is listed. Goddamn there's 50+ choices for every last little piece of crap. I realize most of it doesn't matter that much, until is does.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

plape tickler posted:

That ram is listed. Goddamn there's 50+ choices for every last little piece of crap. I realize most of it doesn't matter that much, until is does.

Ive had lots of weird memory compatibility issues with ddr4 builds for some reason. I think its just cause its newish.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I just realized that this thread is for GPUs as well as CPUs, so I should probaby have posted this question here:

NihilCredo posted:

My GTX 750 Ti is now my bottleneck and I want to overclock it. (It's a Palit StormX Dual, if it matters; I know it won't OC much, but it won't hurt.)

Every guide I've found describes the process of OC'ing such a card like this:

1) Raise the voltage all the way to the maximum allowed (+31 mV)
2) Raise core clock as far as you can without getting instability / artifacts;
3) Repeat step #2, but this time for the memory clock

My OC experience is out of date, but this seems oddly backwards to me. Aren't you supposed to raise the clocks first, and then raise the voltage only in order to make the OC stable (since raising the voltage is what will actually put physical stress on the components)? What am I missing?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
pretty certain you cant actually raise the voltage on modern GPUs to a harmful level without firmware fuckery so you just crank that poo poo to 11 then shoot for the moon on clock and hope the chip is a good one

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

go3 posted:

pretty certain you cant actually raise the voltage on modern GPUs to a harmful level without firmware fuckery so you just crank that poo poo to 11 then shoot for the moon on clock and hope the chip is a good one

on maxwell you can't even overvolt via bios flashing, need hard mod

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. What memory do you like? I'm open to switching to whatever. I'm going to try to hit at least 4.5 ghz, which seems unlikely. No idea if I'll have to mess with memory settings to hit that speed. I also forgot to add a few storage drives to the build. I'll probably put in a couple 6 TB drives.

I hit 4.5 ghz in a mini itx case with no fans and a silverstone ar06 cooler (basically a tiny lovely cooler). 4.5 ghz seems common for skylake, I wouldn't worry.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I didn't realise the q9550 was such a good overclocker! Just got one as a hand me down to keep my gaming computer limp along another year or so. Been running a core2duo overclocked to 3.6 for the past like ten years it feels like and moving over to a quad core has breathed new life in to my 560ti its incredible. Wreckfest went from 5-15 fps to 30or 60fps solid depending on how many cars on screen.

Got it overclocked from 2.83 to 3.9 using 460 x 8.5 with 1.3v. It's a great chip and I know I could do more. it can load windows at 533x7.5 but unfortunately couldn't handle the temps on my ancient artic extreme cooler.

Also Woah the auto voltage setting over compensates, at 3.6ghz it had already set the voltage to 1.35! That's around the same it needed for 533fsb!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Captain Hair posted:

I didn't realise the q9550 was such a good overclocker!

It's incredible. Ran one at 3.8 for ages. It's still reasonable as a CPU today with such an OC. (I'm not using it anymore, I'm on a 2500K @ 4.6).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 31, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hey guys, I'm trying to overclock for the first time and could use some help/advice. I've read the OP and got lucky and found a guide on a very similar mobo/CPU to mine so I think I'm nearly there but I'm having trouble setting my voltage. It doesn't look like there's a simple setting for it so I believe I have to do it manually so I think I need to do offset. Seems that nothing I've tried works so far to actually get it to change though. When I run Prime95, it shoots up to 1.39 or so and stays there. I've updated the BIOS to the latest and done everything that my limited experience allows me.

Which settings should I be touching to get it down a bit? I tried moving Dynamic Vcore down but by -.06 or so and it would boot but still voltage shot up. It's like something is left on auto that I'm missing or one of the other voltages I've messed with on that page has screwed me up.

i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
LGA 1155, Gigabyte GA-P67-D3-B3 motherboard
8gb RAM, 2x2gb at 1.65v and 1x4gb at 1.5v (is this bad that they're different? I obviously didn't know what I was doing when buying another stick but it's been in there for a while without issues that I've noticed)

I was shooting for around 1.3V and 4.5 Ghz

here's the guide (From the OP) where I found many of the settings, though my board does not have "CPU Vcore":
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/4

Current settings:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2015

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Had a weird issue come up last night. I've got a 6600K overclocked stable at 4.5GHz on an ASUS Z710 Deluxe with a 1.35 vcore. Been using it fine for a few days when last night the onboard ethernet controller stops working. Dropping the OC down to 4.3GHz causes the ethernet controller to start working again. Any ideas?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

Had a weird issue come up last night. I've got a 6600K overclocked stable at 4.5GHz on an ASUS Z710 Deluxe with a 1.35 vcore. Been using it fine for a few days when last night the onboard ethernet controller stops working. Dropping the OC down to 4.3GHz causes the ethernet controller to start working again. Any ideas?

It might have just been the reboots or powering it off. Try putting the overclock back now and seeing. I've never heard of anything like that and it doesn't make much sense.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If I OC my 6600k without touching the voltage at all (which obviously will mean just a small OC), then the system's idle power consumption should remain unaffected. Correct y/n?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

NihilCredo posted:

If I OC my 6600k without touching the voltage at all (which obviously will mean just a small OC), then the system's idle power consumption should remain unaffected. Correct y/n?

Yeah, I believe that's right. Idle lowers the multiplier to a very small value and all you're doing by overclocking a K-series is increasing the maximum allowed multiplier. I don't think the load power consumption will go up that much either if you're not touching voltage, considering Ohm's Law.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 12, 2016

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

It might have just been the reboots or powering it off. Try putting the overclock back now and seeing. I've never heard of anything like that and it doesn't make much sense.

Tried multiple times with restarting and putting the overclock back. Been overclocking for about 13 years now and have never heard of this happening and yeah, it makes no sense to me either.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Tried multiple times with restarting and putting the overclock back. Been overclocking for about 13 years now and have never heard of this happening and yeah, it makes no sense to me either.

Updated to the new BIOS that came out on the 13th and everything is working now.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm thinking of trying to OC either my CPU or gpu. I've never OC before, so it will be a journey.

I'm wondering if OC on my CPU will gain me much - 3570k, stock speed. I've heard that there isn't really ever a CPU bottleneck with gaming, so would slapping an OC on the CPU help me out much there?

I have an evga b-stock 970 that is at like 1342.

The question is, sound OC the CPU get me much. If I OC the gpu how much benefit could I expect to see there?

I run one 1440p monitor and mostly get good fps, although I haven't been playing any really recent games. I'm working through a backlog of games I bought while in grad school so right now I'm on 2013 games.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What is a reasonable safe max temperature target for an air-cooled i5-6600K? Running Prime95 "blended" stress test I'm maxing out at like 69C. 4.4GHz using 1.30v vcore.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 16, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

sean10mm posted:

What is a reasonable safe max temperature target for an air-cooled i5-6600K? Running Prime95 "blended" stress test I'm maxing out at like 69C. 4.4GHz using 1.30v vcore.

Safe, 95c. Honestly intel cpus can bang on 100 all day and just throttle back.

I mean maybe you are lowering its life from 50 years to 45 years doing that but yea. You really dont have to worry on intel about temps.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Prime95 runs pretty hot plus Skylake chips throw errors and crashes at it until the new BIOS updates come around.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
Wanted to share some recent results.

I need to decide on what to do to get VR ready so I started overclocking my i5-2500k to see how far I could take it with a GTX 960. It became an addiction to see if I could reach the top ~25 out of 2,000+ runs with the same setup (i5-2500k + GTX 960) and after a couple days playing with it I finally reached above the 7,200 score needed. Overclocked from 3.3 to 4.739 mhz, with core temps raising to almost 90 C under full load. I've since lowered it to 4.5 to keep temps under load below 80 C.

http://imgur.com/H50HTec

Chop Suey fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 17, 2016

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop, that's the path to LN2 pots and modding boards to run for only a few hours. Get it stable and ignore benchmarks unless you need to troubleshoot something.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

craig588 posted:

Stop, that's the path to LN2 pots and modding boards to run for only a few hours. Get it stable and ignore benchmarks unless you need to troubleshoot something.

Huh? Is it not fine if you keep your temps in check? Only time I was unstable is when I went to 4.8-4.9 mhz. 4.7mhz was stable but temps were approaching 90 under full load so I dropped it to 4.5 mhz for long-term use and stay under 80 C.

=\

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
He's just saying once you get in the mindset of trying to get higher benchmarks/trying to beat other peoples benchmarks, it becomes a slippery slope of spending more and more time for basically zero real world benefit. If you're having fun tweaking for tweakings sake I say go for it. But if you're just 100% after real world performance, you are definitely at the point where putting in more effort will see seriously diminishing returns.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Col.Kiwi posted:

He's just saying once you get in the mindset of trying to get higher benchmarks/trying to beat other peoples benchmarks, it becomes a slippery slope of spending more and more time for basically zero real world benefit. If you're having fun tweaking for tweakings sake I say go for it. But if you're just 100% after real world performance, you are definitely at the point where putting in more effort will see seriously diminishing returns.

Ahh, I see... there were a lot of words/acronyms I didn't understand. I'm pretty much done now that I made it into that small % bracket. Good to know I can just OC my i5-2500k and get a 980 or 980ti and be VR ready. From what I see machines with those settings score 12,000+

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hooray. I overclocked my 4 year old 2500k up to 4.4ghz by setting the multiplier. I had to really up the vcore though - my system was not stable at stock vcore like a lot of people seemed to be reporting. It wasn't stable until 1.34v and it holds at about 74* under full load. :toot: This actually fixed a boatload of problems I'd been having in several games (the largest issues were in GTA V with texture pop-in)

I was also experiencing, much too often for the last few years, regular BSODs (bios would report a power surge, each time) that seem to have just stopped with the new voltage rate.

Could I have a weak cpu that's received a bit of heat damage over the years (a couple of instances where the fan died or tim wasn't properly applied or a dust cake buildup :barf: )? Maybe my power supply is not so great? Damaged motherboard?

It was fun tinkering with this - I haven't overclocked a thing since the last pentium 4 I owned.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
This non-k Skylake overclocking thing is looking pretty sweet. Seriously considering a 6700 over a 6600k for the HT application (Gaming + VM box)

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
I was messing with EVGA's Precision X, which seems like some bullshit graphic thing that displays some stats and pretends to change things which it really doesn't.

anybody have the same fake rear end vibe from this thing?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Broccoli Cat posted:

I was messing with EVGA's Precision X, which seems like some bullshit graphic thing that displays some stats and pretends to change things which it really doesn't.

It does what it says it does. Would you rather it be a CLI?

Edit: With the caveat that if you overclock to the point of crashing out of as game or benchmark, it might stop overclocking or doing anything... because the system is now unstable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Broccoli Cat posted:

What? Works fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Broccoli Cat posted:

It does work but maxwells are really tricky to oc properly especially with multi cards, the only thing those software could be lying about is the vcore boost, there is an hardware limit.