Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
We have a goon game of advance tactics gold going and will probably do another after this is over. I really like the game as a successor to Empire Deluxe and the newest version has pretty much ironed out all the problems I had with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Alternate Dutch Flag for ABDA (Now same proportions as other national flags)

Dutch Royal Standard

India Command

Bonus: Navy Flag for the CiC of the Dutch Army

US Coast Guard

US Navy

US Secretary of Defense

Do you need more?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
WITP:AE is currently $39.99. No reason not to buy it.

http://issuu.com/matrixgames/docs/matrix_christmas_sale

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Jesus Christ why can't they just provide a webpage with sales like a normal goddamn company at any point since like 1997?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

So say I own only the following things:

War in the East
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Commander: The Great War
Distant Worlds: Universe
Scourge of War: Gettysburg
Unity of Command

Which game should be next on my list of thing to purchase and never actually play, but somehow feel better about for a couple of hours because I purchased it and now possess it, only to be slowly be replaced with feelings of disgust and self-loathing for buying something else that I will never play while having hundred or thousands of dollars of unplayed poo poo sitting around?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
War in the West + Operation Torch would be a good option I guess.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, WITW is a good option if you liked WITE and WITP.

Personally, that Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa game looks amazing. The human aspect sounds like just the thing to make a wargame about more than just pushing counters. I'll probably wait for next holiday sale to pick it up, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

War in the West + Operation Torch would be a good option I guess.

A good option for his requirement of being slowly replaced with feelings of disgust, yeah.

That's sortof an overstatement, I guess it's an -okay- game. But the air poo poo is really bad. As is the new supply system. And the "naval" stuff. Okay, it's a bad game.

There's a distinct lack of Decisive Campaigns stuff on that list.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

My other thought was Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations?

Also, I do not seem to have this magical "You're a Good Customer" coupon from Matrix/Slitherine. Which is kind of pissing me off. Given that I own several games from them that I know I've had for years.

EDIT: Also, lol that you might think I've "played" WitE or WitP:AE. As said, I own them. Who actually plays the poo poo they own? You guys are helping me get my next buying fix for poo poo that is theoretically interesting that I will never actually play.

"Played" something. That's a gas.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 10, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlyFrog posted:

War in the East
Unity of Command

Which game should be next on my list of thing to purchase and never actually play, but somehow feel better about for a couple of hours because I purchased it and now possess it, only to be slowly be replaced with feelings of disgust and self-loathing for buying something else that I will never play while having hundred or thousands of dollars of unplayed poo poo sitting around?

WitW if you're after loathing. DC:B if you want a way better eastern war game than WitE.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'd say the stuff I actually liked recently even if I don't play them as much as I should would be the decisive campaigns stuff, flashpoint campaigns, battle academy 2, and pike and shot. The last two have similar systems so if you don't like one game play wise you probably won't like the other. I mostly just do multiplayer stuff though.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, owned wite and witp and other than a few small scenarios or futile attempts at the main campaign that have lain unplayed. But I promised I would do a game of both before the year is out and god damnit I am going to do it.

I think the only real slitherine/matrix title I have done a lot of single player in is advance tactics and some of the AGEOD titles. Divisive titles so my opinion is prob worthless.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I understand the hate for WITW, I just wish there were a better western/med front game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
What's so bad about WITW? I've never played a Grigsby game, and I was sort of interested in the co-op mode addd by Operation Torch (one player handles land, the other air)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Llyranor posted:

What's so bad about WITW? I've never played a Grigsby game, and I was sort of interested in the co-op mode addd by Operation Torch (one player handles land, the other air)

IIRC they added a new air system that's a chore to play.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Ah, bummer.

As an aside, is Battle Academy 2 any good? Also interested for the coop, but it seems a bit wargame-lite.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Riso posted:

IIRC they added a new air system that's a chore to play.

It's a chore to play, but literally the default is just picking "how" you want it to play out and the AI handles it. It's as much or as little a chore as you want it to be.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoy playing Battle Academy 2 on my ipad, MP is fun. It's definitely a beer and pretzel game.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

-list 'o' games; some of which I have already -

Kind of in the same boat, but I'd like to hear about 16th to 19th century related options as I'm content with my 20th century games gotten so far; Imma gonna East Front like a motherfucker one of these days soon.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlyFrog posted:

War in the East
Unity of Command

Don't you have any Combat Mission games? http://www.battlefront.com/ There's hundreds of dollars worth of games right there you can feel bad about not playing.

Otherwise there's the full suite of Command Ops 2 modules - http://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=91 another $150!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Llyranor posted:

Ah, bummer.

As an aside, is Battle Academy 2 any good? Also interested for the coop, but it seems a bit wargame-lite.

It's baby's first steel panthers and I love the game for it. Simple and fun.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Don't you have any Combat Mission games? http://www.battlefront.com/ There's hundreds of dollars worth of games right there you can feel bad about not playing.

Yes, I have the Normandy one, and the Red Thunder one. I have actually played little bits of both of those. Probably 4-5 hours total!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Llyranor posted:

• The air system is theoretically an improvement over WitE but its such a pain to manage I end up automating it and then what's the loving point
  • War in the Atlantic's modelling is :aslol: it basically comes down to strategic bombing the Sub pens or not (don't bother)
  • Strategic bombing as a whole is largely pointless (or was when I last played.) The bombing has effectively no effect on German industry, you only bomb for points.
  • The scale of the game was designed for the eastern front and it feels a little silly sometimes. For a game that's primary focus is invading Italy and France you don't have a lot of room to play in Italy.

And most importantly it's not a lot of fun, at least vs the AI.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah the Battle Academy games are good, and like someone said here earlier Pike & Shot is basically a 1600s version of the Battle Academy system. They're pretty good games!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Alikchi posted:

Yeah the Battle Academy games are good, and like someone said here earlier Pike & Shot is basically a 1600s version of the Battle Academy system. They're pretty good games!

The only problem with Pike and Shot is that they stopped updating on the iPad. Also the random battles and MP are so good you may never finish the campaign.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlyFrog posted:

Yes, I have the Normandy one, and the Red Thunder one. I have actually played little bits of both of those. Probably 4-5 hours total!

Command Ops is legit good and definitely worth getting at least one of the current modules in a theatre you're interested in - Bulge, Market Garden or Mediterranean.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

This came out in 2013.
2 player multiplayer is in beta for the Barbarossa scenarion, 2 is the maximum currently supported. The full game still has no multiplayer support
Recommended players is 4-6.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
WITPAE or WITW? I know grogs prefer WITP but i'm really hankering for an Western front game.

uPen posted:

This came out in 2013.
2 player multiplayer is in beta for the Barbarossa scenarion, 2 is the maximum currently supported. The full game still has no multiplayer support
Recommended players is 4-6.
Isn't it still completely missing an AI too?

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 11, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The other thing I've seen is the Germans can only win, literally only win, if you're playing a Human and they forget to send aircover for the D-Day landings. And then the end is "Russians got to Berlin,but I guess Germany surrenders and keeps all of France?"

For a beginner however, the game should be easier to get conceptually? (Beat up Germans in italy, beat them up all the way to berlin after d-day) and less of a nightmare than the Eastern front with a million counters.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I've just realised that the devs for Decisive Campaigns are the same as Advanced Tactics. I've owned Warsaw to Paris for a while, but haven't got around to it yet, while managing to not find that a reason to slowly become self-deprecating :smug:

The random map option in Advanced Tactics sounds really good, but is it worth getting if I've got DC:WtP and is there anywhere near the same level of awesome human-level drama as what it sounds like DC:B has in either previous DC games? DC: Code Blue isn't on my purchasing shortlist but if it's worth getting over Advanced Tactics then I might swap stuff around.

Given the scarcity of such an all-encompassing sale, and this surprisingly high voucher I'm basically looking to store my grognard nuts for the winter and buying up stuff now with the intention of not considering anything else until this time next year. When I expect an even higher voucher :crossarms:

SlyFrog posted:

Also, I do not seem to have this magical "You're a Good Customer" coupon from Matrix/Slitherine. Which is kind of pissing me off. Given that I own several games from them that I know I've had for years.

"Played" something. That's a gas.

The email said that it was for a three year account anniversary, so I apparently conveniently created an account just prior to xmas back then. I don't know where a 41% discount comes from and I doubt this is relevant but my "several" games is more like 50 across both Matrix and Slitherine accounts, although easily over a third of that is DLC and most of that is Panzer Corps and Alea Jacta Est DLC and soon to be Battle Academy DLC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

I understand the hate for WITW, I just wish there were a better western/med front game.

There is, it's called Battles in Normandy / Battles in Italy.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

markgreyam posted:

is there anywhere near the same level of awesome human-level drama as what it sounds like DC:B has in either previous DC games? DC: Code Blue isn't on my purchasing shortlist but if it's worth getting over Advanced Tactics then I might swap stuff around.
As far as I know, Barbarossa is the first game in the series to have that human drama element

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Illegal Username posted:

WITPAE or WITW? I know grogs prefer WITP but i'm really hankering for an Western front game.

One is a one of its kind unique game that you must get if you have any interest in the theatre, one is poo poo or mediocre if you really have a hard on for D-Day I suppose. Seriously WITP does what WITW should, better. If you want to play D Day just play operation Downfall instead.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So has anyone tried this Campaigns on the Danube 1805-1809 that The Flare Path just mentioned? I'll probably give it a spin since it sounds interesting and the price is right unless I hear a chorus of objections.

As for the ETO/MTO I just read Atkinson's Liberation trilogy which is an Amero-centric view on that theater of operations and the amount of backbiting and politicking he describes really seems like a game can only do it justice if it is designed like DC:B. Why anyone in the right mind would make the same mistakes as Clark/Alexander with Anzio, Avalanche, and attacking the Gustav Line or put up with the crap the Army Air Force was trying to pull with their inter-inter-service rivalry and pig headed insistence that all resources go exclusively to the strategic bombing campaign is beyond me. The only way it seems to do it right and make it fun would be to program in a virtual Churchill that forces the player to make dumb decisions then change its mind all while making some great speeches.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's sort of why WITW isn't very good. The politics are too locked in for the strategic gameplay to be interesting, and the scale is too "zoomed out" for the combat to be interesting.

Battles in Normandy/Italy are very good for putting yourself in the shoes of the commander in the field, although I couldn't give a good recommendation for the big picture game.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh speaking of deals Cossacks is a napoleonic rts and is a dollar at gog now: http://www.gog.com/game/cossacks_anthology

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Cossacks 2 is napoleonic, Cossacks 1 is set in the 17th and 18th century. It's kind of aged badly since it demands a lot of tedious micromanagement that modern rts don't, but very unique and well worth a dollar.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone else been getting a "Connection Timed Out" error when check operationglacier.com?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone else been getting a "Connection Timed Out" error when check operationglacier.com?

its hosted on a VM on my desktop computer; not the most robust hosting solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

its hosted on a VM on my desktop computer; not the most robust hosting solution.

Gotcha.

Did you need any more flags?