Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea highwayman is the other guy that I don't use much honestly. His skills have a nice spread, they just feel like they lack the punch of other options once you're in level 3 or 5 dungeons.

Do you use bounty hunter in slot 3, or push him up into the front? Flashbang is a good stun, but there are a lot of stun options so that never feels compelling to me. Maybe I'll look at using him in a rank 3 setup, sometimes I'm not sure how I'm setting up my back-line, and that could be a solid damage option.

I've found if I'm using a marking person that arbelest is amazing. Sniper shot stars off worse than collect bounty, but it scales a lot better, and her camp buff is straight up way better. Also mark removal, and emergency heal options. I prefer occultist over vestal for healing, which gives you a marking option from not the dps person, and with occultist camp speed buff you can have him set to go first almost always.

Jester stress removal is pretty big now. I haven't tried him in higher level dungeons, and I wouldn't bring him to kill a boss, but as a general "bring him along and don't worry about stress" guy he is pretty solid. 10 base on the stress removal, +1 per rank. The group buff is decent as well, spend round 1 and maybe 2 on that, spend the rest of his turns mopping up any stress. Could probably do something like jester-occ-abom-maa/hell and have abomination hulk out every fight and still end the dungeon with almost no stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gabriel Pope posted:

Sure, but this is only true if you get a huge haul at the end of the run/only have 1 or 2 stacks of supplies left. Say you're on an exploration run, fairly low on health, and the last hallway and room is unscouted--you're going to want to hold onto your last 4 food in case of starvation, your last shovel in case there's a barricade, and you're probably still going to want to hold onto your bandages in case of crab. If the end of the hall/last room is empty... welp, there goes 75% of your potential profit. Even if there's a fight and/or treasure, there's no guarantee you're going to get enough loot to fill up 3 slots, and it probably won't be full stacks if you do.

You can jettison supplies earlier, of course, but then a bad starvation event/barricade can jeopardize the mission and/or risk peoples' lives.

If it gets to the point where not having a bandage is going to break the run I would probably retreat anyway.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
New patch hit, adjusting the man-at-arms riposte again.

Things I learned recently: Don't use riposte in a mushroom fight :gonk:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

New patch hit, adjusting the man-at-arms riposte again.

Things I learned recently: Don't use riposte in a mushroom fight :gonk:

Why, what happens?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The mushroom men have a special attack against marked targets that does double the damage of their normal hit. If they crit with that in a level 1 dungeon they're putting almost any class on death's door (does about 25 damage). Riposte self-marks the man-at-arms, so the two front mushroom men will focus fire him with double damage attacks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Queston: What does the Swine King do if you use Rallying Flare to delete Wilbur's marks?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

Queston: What does the Swine King do if you use Rallying Flare to delete Wilbur's marks?

He does a weaker, less accurate attack at a random target.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ok cool, thanks. I was afraid he would see that there were no marks and his AI would go into "Wilbur is dead" mode.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Has anyone else felt like they've mucked with curio generation this patch? I feel like I've been seeing some differences, most notably in walls. Like I just got out of a long weald dungeon that had only 1 or 2 walls, when I would expect 4 normally.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Aw come one. New game, first dungeon and guess what ? I run into The Collector.....

Update: so of course I wiped and started a new game. Guess what I got this time on the first run ? The Shambler !!

This game hates me so much.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 10, 2015

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Alright, so this may be a bit of a long shot, but here goes: is there a way to transfer save data between Steam accounts? I started playing the game on an alternate account but recently found out there will be achievements, which means I'm going to be playing the game on my main one once the game leaves Early Access and I had an early file that was going particularly well, very good RNG rolls on early trinkets and quirks. I wouldn't mind keeping that start for when the game goes live. I'm probably SOL, but I figured I might as well ask.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Man at Arms up:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-man-at-arms/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This one's a little confusing. Who is getting blown up at the end? The man-at-arms? But he survives? I don't get it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zaphod42 posted:

This one's a little confusing. Who is getting blown up at the end? The man-at-arms? But he survives? I don't get it.

He's disgraced because he just lost a very important round of Capture the Flag

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
clearly has ptsd (protection trinket survivor disorder)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

S.J. posted:

He's disgraced because he just lost a very important round of Capture the Flag

Hahaha pretty much.

I mean I guess there's a mace in the explosion so it means its him getting hit by the cannonball, but he lives? Or is this his death story? :v:

I guess the idea is that guy he was trying to carry didn't make it but its not super well communicated.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
he seems to have cut someones head in half with a mace, which is a drat fine trick

also it kind of looks like hes alone at the end, which says to me that he has some survivors guilt kind of thing going on

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I recall he was on the receiving end of an ambush that his officers basically ordered him and his squad into, and since he was loyal and obedient he went ahead and did it.

And now he's all hosed up because of it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha pretty much.

I mean I guess there's a mace in the explosion so it means its him getting hit by the cannonball, but he lives? Or is this his death story? :v:

I guess the idea is that guy he was trying to carry didn't make it but its not super well communicated.

I think it's a near miss and the explosion KOs him. I agree that the action does not read as well as the last couple strips.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
These comics so far have been kind of bad all around because there's only so much that you can fit onto a single page, and the stories so far have definitely been bigger than a single page can allow.

Like in the Highwayman's, did he blast his son and wife or some poo poo? There appears to be a family resemblance there, but let's be honest with DD's art style, he looks like he's related to the carriage guards too. Or if it's just some random kid and he's guilt-ridden about killing a kid, how did that scruple even come about for him? This is a guy who is killing people for their money, codes of ethics are not exactly universal here and I think the entire thing bears some explaining.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 12, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

These comics so far have been kind of bad all around because there's only so much that you can fit onto a single page, and the stories so far have definitely been bigger than a single page can allow.

Like in the Highwayman's, did he blast his son and wife or some poo poo? There appears to be a family resemblance there, but let's be honest with DD's art style, he looks like he's related to the carriage guards too. Or if it's just some random kid and he's guilt-ridden about killing a kid, how did that scruple even come about for him? This is a guy who is killing people for their money, codes of ethics are not exactly universal here and I think the entire thing bears some explaining.

youve never seen that old cliche of the hardened killer who doesnt do women and children?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i mean he just shot randomly into a carriage full of something he couldnt see. it doesnt seem reasonable that this man also doesnt want to kill some class of people

i think its just a poorly done comic because its a single page (like the others)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
No reason to think they're related to him AFAIK, its just the art style. I imagine it's something like Omar in The Wire, he's fine killing dudes who are in the game but he doesn't just blast random citizens.

He's not a sociopath or anything, he used to be a normal dude but his life fell apart. We know from the dialogues that he used to be a candlemaker, then a tax collector, that he went to prison and only became a robber after that, and that he feels bad about his past ("I can hear the ghosts of my victims past scream for my soul!"), and that he firmly believes he should be executed (it shows up in numerous mental state dialogues, not just bad ones) but has decided to have some fun until then.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's also come up in game when he had a crisis. He sometimes yells "You have her face! How can you have her face!" so she's probably at least someone he knew.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
On the MAA, I think the implication is - besides this

Artificer posted:

I recall he was on the receiving end of an ambush that his officers basically ordered him and his squad into, and since he was loyal and obedient he went ahead and did it. And now he's all hosed up because of it.

that either A) he was trying to get back to safe ground (presuming the flag's his force's base camp) with the injured boy, got stabbed by the swordsman, and then hit by the friendly cannon we saw at the start (so he's beating himself up over his failure to save the lad's life and the friendly fire incident) or B) charging the enemy (presuming flag is enemy's side), got intercepted because he didn't fall back to save the boy in his arms who then died to enemy cannon fire (so he basically wasted the boy's life to try and seize a piece of cloth).

The fact it's so open to interpretation is not necessarily a good thing. I rather liked the Highwayman and Abom ones though, so :shrug: Some work, some don't.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
incidentally i got an irrational vestal for the first time yesterday and she is, uh.... preeeetty hosed up

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

youve never seen that old cliche of the hardened killer who doesnt do women and children?

that doesnt answer my question tho

Soothing Vapors posted:

He's not a sociopath or anything, he used to be a normal dude but his life fell apart. We know from the dialogues that he used to be a candlemaker, then a tax collector, that he went to prison and only became a robber after that, and that he feels bad about his past ("I can hear the ghosts of my victims past scream for my soul!"), and that he firmly believes he should be executed (it shows up in numerous mental state dialogues, not just bad ones) but has decided to have some fun until then.
wow it's almost like this is super relevant to his break in the comic but isn't touched on at all

perhaps there should have been more pages

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

incidentally i got an irrational vestal for the first time yesterday and she is, uh.... preeeetty hosed up

Yup. Turns out being forced into a holy order as a kid by a uncaring mother will gently caress you up, huh.

Mind you, that's not touching whatever the hell happened to the Abomination. Or what kind of 'parties' the Jester used to entertain.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Coolguye posted:

that doesnt answer my question tho

wow it's almost like this is super relevant to his break in the comic but isn't touched on at all

perhaps there should have been more pages

v:shobon:v you asked, no need to be a dick

yeah the vestal is straight up hosed up

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

v:shobon:v you asked, no need to be a dick
That's not even approaching dickish. We're not even disagreeing. You just handed me more ammo to reiterate my point, so hell yes I'm gonna take a shot.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
idk man the comics appear to me to just be little tiny vignettes to characterize the dudes moreso than some kind of authoritative canonical backstory/rich worldbuilding

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I didn't go far in the game so I didn't knew the tidbits the characters said were more than semi random vague allusions to events you weren't privy to.
On one hand it's kinda neat. On the other... having all highwaymen, all vestals have the same background is rather silly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think its supposed to be like TF2 where, from a story perspective, theres only one of each of them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
TF2 embraces the slapstick inherrent to being a mmofps though. DD doesn't have that kind of humour.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

I didn't go far in the game so I didn't knew the tidbits the characters said were more than semi random vague allusions to events you weren't privy to.
On one hand it's kinda neat. On the other... having all highwaymen, all vestals have the same background is rather silly.

If that bothers you then just say that's only one backstory for one highwayman? I don't see this as a big deal at all. Who cares??

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Is there a text dump link with all the crazy barks? I've been lucky enough not to have too many crazy breaks (because I withdraw like a coward when things begin to go sour).

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Ramc posted:

Is there a text dump link with all the crazy barks? I've been lucky enough not to have too many crazy breaks (because I withdraw like a coward when things begin to go sour).

Darkest Dungeon/Localization/Dialogue.string_table.xml

Every bit of hero dialogue is in there, though it is pretty massive and even doing a CTRL+F for specific classes will take a while to read it all.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

If you want to save the trouble of going through the xml (which is pretty cool and totally worth it but hard to read), here is some guy's summary on reddit. Missing the Abom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/3jrr8u/lore_characters_backstories/

I would 100% be down for a full length Darkest Dungeon ~graphic novel~ or something, I enjoy the art style and the setting v. much

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 12, 2015

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Did I hear somewhere that Wayne June was going to do a Darkest Dungeon narrator announcer pack for DOTA 2 or was that just the moon talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Snollygoster posted:

Did I hear somewhere that Wayne June was going to do a Darkest Dungeon narrator announcer pack for DOTA 2 or was that just the moon talking?

During one of the dev streams, they were talking about doing an announcer pack, but said that they were going to make sure that Wayne June's schedule was free enough to get what they need to finish the game before they would start to put that together. John, the community manager who does the streams, is apparently a big DOTA fan and he said he has a personal interest in seeing this happen.