Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
High tier US Cruisers have mostly better turret traverse and better rudder shift and turning radius, but inferior speed. They usually have faster firing primaries, and better secondaries, but inferior HE shell damage and fire chance. They have vastly superior AA, but no torpedo option. It is suspected that they have better normalization values for AP shell pen, too, but this isn't as easy a number to identify. US CA AP shells have superior penetration, however. Both trees have fairly identical concealment values, though IJN usually have the better value if there is a difference.

The main issue with US CAs is that they are intended as gunboats, with robust AA, increased Defensive Fire charges, and superior penetration and RoF, compared to IJN CAs, which make up the difference by bringing their torpedo threat to bear, or using their superior HE to cause more fires and deal damage to evasive targets, such as DDs. However, CVs are increasingly uncommon in high tier games, neutralizing the effectiveness of US CA AA guns. They're still good boats, but if no CVs show up, a part of their selling point is gone, now they're just better AP hurlers than IJN ships, but who wants to get into a brawl with a high tier BB anyways?

Edit: May as well comment on the Germans, their AP is superior to the US, with generally better flight characteristics as well. However, they all have fairly thin armor across the board, and their torpedoes are vastly inferior to IJN CA torpedoes. They're basically shootier IJN ships, especially if you're fond of using AP, as German HE is pretty bad.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I finally got my Cleveland last night and that thing positively shits on destroyers. What a glorious ship.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm working on the Pensacola which is a very different ship than the previous ones. Looking at Baltimore, New Orleans and Des Moines they all seem extremely similar.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I'm working on the Pensacola which is a very different ship than the previous ones. Looking at Baltimore, New Orleans and Des Moines they all seem extremely similar.

Yep. That's why I quit the line after finishing Cleveland and never even bought Pensa.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Zampy's 10 kill Izokaze game from yesterday (223,000 Dmg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaMQ8MqaK0

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cleveland is a great ship. Murders planes, murders DDs, and is almost ideal for grinding down enemy BBs (assuming you have a friendly heavy to draw their fire). If you notice they arent taking much dmg from HE anymore, switch to AP and ventilate their superstructure.

But the Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore have never looked all that great to me, especially since the last patch or two where HE seems to have lost a bit of oomph.

Just unlocked the Zao, but im gonna hold off a bit on dropping the 20 million silver to buy it. Finished off a Kutuzov class cruiser as my final Ibuki kill.

If the new test server dataminings are any indication, high tier DDs are getting quite a buff at the expense of everything else, especially BBs.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I have entered into the hellscape that is ranked games with pubs. I just had a match loss due to a badly damaged New York deciding to suicide charge a Warspite, when all we needed to do was stay alive for another couple minutes and were explicitly yelling at him in team chat not to be a loving idiot. He died with 30 seconds on the clock and put the enemy in the lead.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

If the new patch notes are any indication, high tier DDs are getting quite a buff at the expense of everything else, especially BBs.

That's good because they need it.

I hope some quality of life upgrades come in, it sucks not having a persistent goon chat inside the game (there's like 20 empty SEAMN chats.)

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Bonus code giveaway: 50 flags, 1 day premium. There were ~1650 codes left as of this posting. Good only for NA/EU servers.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/world-of-warships-bonus-code-key-giveaway

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MREBoy posted:

Bonus code giveaway: 50 flags, 1 day premium. There were ~1650 codes left as of this posting. Good only for NA/EU servers.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/world-of-warships-bonus-code-key-giveaway

Codes are broken and have been for a while. When you sign up they send you:

WOWSALIENWARE

Which is not formatted correctly and do not activate.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i one-shot a battleship today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvqogFUGJSQ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

Codes are broken and have been for a while. When you sign up they send you:

WOWSALIENWARE

Which is not formatted correctly and do not activate.

It just activated fine for me, but it hasn't credited yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It just activated fine for me, but it hasn't credited yet.

Where'd you put it in? What server? I'm NA, used the website.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I entered it through the WoT website, logged in, from the 'account' dropdown dialog. There's a choice to enter a "Wargaming Code."

In other news, since no one else has mentioned it yet, seems they're putting in a premium T8 Sverdlov for testing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I entered it through the WoT website, logged in, from the 'account' dropdown dialog. There's a choice to enter a "Wargaming Code."

In other news, since no one else has mentioned it yet, seems they're putting in a premium T8 Sverdlov for testing.

You mean the one in the upper right? It won't work for me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

wdarkk posted:

You mean the one in the upper right? It won't work for me.

Well, for all intents and purposes it hasn't yet 'worked' for me either, even though it accepted the code. I'm still off premium and haven't gotten my consignment of flags.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Speaking of things that don't work, has the option to turn off collision avoidance disappeared for anyone else? It's stuck on.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Victor Surge posted:

Zampy's 10 kill Izokaze game from yesterday (223,000 Dmg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaMQ8MqaK0

As someone who usually doesn't care and thinks it dumb when people post their battle reports; holy poo poo that was amazing. The fucker doesn't even aim most of the time, he's just launching torps from the hip.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

counterfeitsaint posted:

As someone who usually doesn't care and thinks it dumb when people post their battle reports

youre right man, how dare people be even a little proud of the somewhat impressive things they did in video games. shame on them for wanting to share it with the community!!!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

youre right man, how dare people be somewhat proud of the somewhat impressive things they did in video games. shame on them for wanting to share it with the community!!!

Calm your tits okay, I don't respond to people posting screenshots and complain about it, they can post whatever they want and I'm enough of a big boy to scroll past and leave them alone. My point is that this one stands out and deserves extra attention.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

counterfeitsaint posted:

Calm your tits okay, I don't respond to people posting screenshots and complain about it, they can post whatever they want and I'm enough of a big boy to scroll past and leave them alone. My point is that this one stands out and deserves extra attention.
:goonsay:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I've been trying to do ranked battles, and I'm just not getting anywhere. Being a 51%er I'm not doing all that much to help the team, and I've been getting somewhat retarded teams all night. I keep going from Rank 15 to 13 and then back to 15. :suicide:

I don't know how you guys manage to get to Rank 1. Seriously guys, you have my admiration.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

counterfeitsaint posted:

As someone who usually doesn't care and thinks it dumb when people post their battle reports; holy poo poo that was amazing. The fucker doesn't even aim most of the time, he's just launching torps from the hip.

Incorrect. He's in replay mode, and replay mode doesn't take all of his button presses into account. Whenever it appears as though he's not locked on to a target, its actually just because he pressed X to change targets in the original battle, but replay mode never changes off of the first ship locked in torpedo mode unless you manually do it yourself.

That said, 200k damage in a T4 game is rather impressive, though its basically a perfect storm of his allies being just incompetent enough to not secure kills, him getting off good torp runs, and the enemies not being competent enough to do anything to stop him or avoid getting torped.

I hear high tier torp detection is getting buffed... :getin:
If that poo poo goes through, I'm gonna have a LOT of fun on my Kagero.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's a long shot, but try to make sure there's not a space before the first character. I just entered the code again and it said it activated on that very page...but still no free day of premium or flags. But when I put it in again, I noticed there was a space between the first space on the entry field and the code.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dalael posted:

I've been trying to do ranked battles, and I'm just not getting anywhere. Being a 51%er I'm not doing all that much to help the team, and I've been getting somewhat retarded teams all night.

[ask] me about playing with dumb pubbies who think using HE in a high tier battleship is a good life choice

[ask] me about playing with dumb russian pubbies who think suiciding their kiev into a ball of enemy cruisers is a good life choice and then insult everyone in chat because nobody saved them from the inevitable HE spam

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
HE is ok with high tier BBs
IF YOU'RE SHOOTING IT AT TARGETS YOU CAN'T GET GOOD PENS ON, like CAs crossing your T, BBs with armored decks that are at that annoying range where plunging shells will bounce off their decks, DDs that will be overpenned, etc.
Not when the loving BB is broadside to you at 12km and you've got an INCREDIBLE shot. There's nothing sadder than watching your Tirpitz fire off a salvo of HE against a broadside Amagi it easily could have citadeled, and then getting 30k of its HP blown away by the return salvo.
Pubbies. Pubbies never change.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

I've been trying to do ranked battles, and I'm just not getting anywhere. Being a 51%er I'm not doing all that much to help the team, and I've been getting somewhat retarded teams all night. I keep going from Rank 15 to 13 and then back to 15. :suicide:

I don't know how you guys manage to get to Rank 1. Seriously guys, you have my admiration.

What ship are you using? I know how you feel though. Although the 18-10 bracket was reasonably painless playing a Murmansk, I´m now back at 10.0 after about 30 games in the Amagi. You have to carry your team harder than I´m able to, simply getting High Caliber every game is not enough. Ranked will make you hate humanity for being on your team in stock Colorados, Yorcks, Atlantas. Then blissfully ignoring any cap points, not angling, me pleading them not to get into firefights with bensons in their hatsuharu´s etc. etc. :cry:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a long shot, but try to make sure there's not a space before the first character. I just entered the code again and it said it activated on that very page...but still no free day of premium or flags. But when I put it in again, I noticed there was a space between the first space on the entry field and the code.

This has been an issue when they make the code just a generic entry.

Despite the fact that it says there are 1200 codes left right now, there really aren't, because it's been redeemed more times. Basically people just put the code on places, and it gets used without anyone ever logging in to the aliensware site.

Not sure why they switched away from the unique codes, apparently it was too hard for them to manage.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

HE is ok with high tier BBs
IF YOU'RE SHOOTING IT AT TARGETS YOU CAN'T GET GOOD PENS ON, like ... BBs with armored decks that are at that annoying range where plunging shells will bounce off their decks...

I ran into this last night in my North Carolina while shooting at a Yamato at long range. AP was just bouncing off his deck, so I switched to HE so I'd at least do some damage :smith:.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

nodm posted:

What ship are you using? I know how you feel though. Although the 18-10 bracket was reasonably painless playing a Murmansk, I´m now back at 10.0 after about 30 games in the Amagi. You have to carry your team harder than I´m able to, simply getting High Caliber every game is not enough. Ranked will make you hate humanity for being on your team in stock Colorados, Yorcks, Atlantas. Then blissfully ignoring any cap points, not angling, me pleading them not to get into firefights with bensons in their hatsuharu´s etc. etc. :cry:

I'm using multiple ships. I played the Cleveland for a while until I got enough xp to buy that ugly rear end pepsicola. Then I started alternating between the Aoba, Mutsuki and human being. I think i'm simply too terrible for ranked matches because I just can't carry a team.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
The Tirpitz is back for sale on the NA server. And much cheaper this time, so that's kind of cool.

Hmm.. Let me see:

$66.99 for • Tirpitz
• Port Slot
• 15x "Zulu" Signal Flags
• 15x "Equal Speed Charlie London" Signal Flags
• 1,500 Doubloons
• 7 Days of Premium

Or

$69.99 for

• Tirpitz
• Port Slot
• 60x "Zulu" Signal Flags
• 60x "Equal Speed Charlie London" Signal Flags
• 1,500 Doubloons
• 7 Days of Premium

Are 90 extra flags worth 3$? Probably.. I might just get it this time. Anyone here own one? how good is the ship? I don't usually like spending that much on pixels but I'm very tempted on this one.

Armada: Tirpitz the first few minutes do not make it sound promising.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tirpitz seems like a good ship, but you have to accept that sometimes you'll end up in a game with an opposing Midway or Yamato and just die.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
goddammit, of course now they put it on sale, after i bought an atlanta and an atago...

...and now a tirpitz :shepspends:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

goddammit, of course now they put it on sale, after i bought an atlanta and an atago...

...and now a tirpitz :shepspends:

Feels like :homebrew: amirite? :smug:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dalael posted:

Feels like :homebrew: amirite? :smug:

having disposable income is nice, yea

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Speaking of :homebrew:

occasionally, it's nice that dumb loving pubbies are so common in ranked battles :agesilaus:

Weirdly enough, I keep getting Dreadnought on the Atago more than in every other ship together so now I'm just spamming the repair ability with the flag mounted.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I noticed the Colorado is on sale and im too lazy to look up what else is discounted. Anyone know?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

I noticed the Colorado is on sale and im too lazy to look up what else is discounted. Anyone know?
BBs and DDs up to T7 are on sale.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Uughh.. I decided to by the Tirpitz, until I saw how much it would cost with the US/CDn exchange rate. 91$ before taxes. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
What is ranked and do I want to play it?