Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Those both sound good, once I have dinner I'll try to find some goons to suck with as I learn the ways of butt tickling.

edit: I saw one mech called an Urbanmech but didn't see anything about it in this thread, is it a light as well? Playing as a mechanized trashcan sounds amazing.

Urbie is a light but it doesn't play like one. In canon it is basically a city fighter with a huge gun that can't outrun a bicycle. In the game it has a limited engine size (about 50 kph slower than the fastest light), 360-degree torso twist, and weird hitboxes. If anything gets close to you, you are mostly boned, but if you stick with assaults and peek with lasers you can do work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Urbie is a light but it doesn't play like one. In canon it is basically a city fighter with a huge gun that can't outrun a bicycle. In the game it has a limited engine size (about 50 kph slower than the fastest light), 360-degree torso twist, and weird hitboxes. If anything gets close to you, you are mostly boned, but if you stick with assaults and peek with lasers you can do work.

Hrmm, I'll make garbagebot my second mech then. The king crab and dong mechs look pretty appealing too, though they lack buttshooting capabilities.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hrmm, I'll make garbagebot my second mech then. The king crab and dong mechs look pretty appealing too, though they lack buttshooting capabilities.

King Crab is a fun choice because you can do something like this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=3b8ff70f7e17c6d1e3a2cdd79f484e9e693af3bc

and win almost any staring contest, or this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=175b63948b5477418d120094d9ab07cca133ee73

and ruin people's days at range, or this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=3d5db8b32a66aa3edad009b6909d457e4380c471

and, you know, double-tap folks for 40 damage

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Oh great this pay to win cash grab piece of crap game made by an rear end in a top hat company is now on my most favouritist DRM platform. NOW I can be sure to play it!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Size comps for IIC mechs

Jenner

Hunchback

Orion

Highlander

cheese783
May 8, 2006
whoops
I never really got into this game, but I'm a LEGENDARY FOUNDER lol. I have 4 founders mechx and a king crab? What should I spend my gold bux on?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If you look you can see me on the Twitch stream.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Oh great this pay to win cash grab piece of crap game made by an rear end in a top hat company is now on my most favouritist DRM platform. NOW I can be sure to play it!

There is no "tinfoil hat" cockpit decoration. Sorry.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
By the way, I wanna join WoL and make bird calls.

edit: Ingame name: IAMCRAIG

double edit: Also I cant be arsed to sign up for the forums, just pm me the mumble info (unless it's camping the stairs)

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 12, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
So... Ive been pretty interested in these clan mechs.

I bought the Catapult A1 (c) "Clan Variant".

Well... lo behold I take it to the testing grounds and the mech lab. The HUD is neither blue nor are clan LRM available to be equipped?!

Thats the whole reason I just spent $20 on this thing because I was told clan mechs... can equip clan weapons...

I can't even find ANY information ANYWHERE online as to what mechs even CAN equip C-LRM. Is there any way I can have a refund done or something.

steamlaunch.txt

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
lol :allears:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Had some good fun shooting robots, even when that one goon put us on euro servers.

Whoever got the damage score closest to Paul's hi score for Tetris wins a prize!

e: most epic round was on assault River City, we did the old school tactic of everyone hide and shut down. Waited til we saw the whites of their cockpits and then mauled them 12-0 after we powered back up. Possum strategy best strategy, and no Goon powered up and gave us away!

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 12, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

Well... lo behold I take it to the testing grounds and the mech lab. The HUD is neither blue nor are clan LRM available to be equipped?!

Thats the whole reason I just spent $20 on this thing because I was told clan mechs... can equip clan weapons...

I can't even find ANY information ANYWHERE online as to what mechs even CAN equip C-LRM. Is there any way I can have a refund done or something.

steamlaunch.txt

I made a new account to play with the newbies: 'Are flamers good? It's basically all i have on my atlas so i hope so'

two min later: 'wait they don't even burn down trees? this is bullshit!'

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 12, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

steamlaunch.txt

Oh my god I want to be tier 5 so bad right now.

Did anyone else see the CW phase 3 thing? Is it more like what they promised way back when CW was announced?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Repo Man posted:

Oh my god I want to be tier 5 so bad right now.

Did anyone else see the CW phase 3 thing? Is it more like what they promised way back when CW was announced?

It looks interesting, yes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what's it entail?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, finally played my first match. Won it and actually got a few kills and all I got was a red arm. I'm at 5.6m creditsComStar Bills and I'm thinking of building this. Just how much of a bad idea is this? I just want to shoot lots of bullets and missiles. I don't really like energy weapons, so if someone has a better recommendation than that more than likely terrible design feel free to share it.

Also, I want to join a goon group. I don't care which one. I guess whichever sends an invite first. I'm PureRok in-game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PureRok posted:

So, finally played my first match. Won it and actually got a few kills and all I got was a red arm. I'm at 5.6m creditsComStar Bills and I'm thinking of building this. Just how much of a bad idea is this? I just want to shoot lots of bullets and missiles. I don't really like energy weapons, so if someone has a better recommendation than that more than likely terrible design feel free to share it.

Also, I want to join a goon group. I don't care which one. I guess whichever sends an invite first. I'm PureRok in-game.

Few things:

You will never go through that much machine gun ammo

Ammo explodes, so try to keep it out of the torsos

Streak-2s are v. bad -- they don't do nearly enough damage to scare anything but the squishiest lights

Speed is life in mediums, and that thing is slower than the Atlas I run, which is twice its weight

Just spitballing, this might be something to aim toward:

CN9-AH

or this

CN9-AH

or if you wanna go with an AC/20, this

CN9-AH

you might not have the c-bills for it yet though :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PureRok posted:

That's pretty bad, tbh, though in a good and hilarious way. Ammo explodes, so you want to put it in your legs for preference - your build will basically explode into a million pieces the instant any damage gets past your armour as the ammo all cooks off.

Streaks aren't that strong, (though they do track) so I'd swap the SSRMs for dumbfire SRM4s. Take four tons of ammo to start with, you can add more if you find yourself running out.

Put one ton of MG ammo in your head, MGs are great fun but only effective as a finisher - they do almost no damage to armour but get a nice boost on blowing up components once the armour's gone.

AMS isn't a requirement - if you're short on tonnage, ditch it and save some tons.

Your tactics would be hanging a bit behind an assault, then firing a few loads of rockets into its target until it's softened up then picking a stripped component and MGing teh poo poo out of it as you rocket.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
well heck, here's some CW phase 3 stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xR_Ugat1w

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Another note: If you EVER take streaks as a primary/secondary (NEVER as a 3rd choice though) weapon, you HAVE to bring a counter for ECM. gently caress AMS, ditch it and the ammo for a Beagle. Hell, you're building a brawler anyway, toss a beagle in there even without streaks.

IS streaks are terrible because there are only 2 missles. Streaks hit near random parts and have -0- splash damage. Only clans should take streaks, and in the biggest size you can fit.

Once you get a feel for SRM's, you'll go artemis and never look back. It even makes packing on 3-4 of the 4-missle sized ones semi-viable.

MG's are fine with 3-4 of them at work. I fire them wildly, literally, the entire time I'm fighting people. It's annoying as heck, and by making the whole bot glow, they *might not notice what part I'm aiming for until the SRM's strip off it's armor.

* I don't really care, it's fun.

My Cent-AH should not exist and would get mocked by myself if I had seen it posted.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

armchairyoda posted:

Another note: If you EVER take streaks as a primary/secondary (NEVER as a 3rd choice though) weapon, you HAVE to bring a counter for ECM. gently caress AMS, ditch it and the ammo for a Beagle. Hell, you're building a brawler anyway, toss a beagle in there even without streaks.

IS streaks are terrible because there are only 2 missles. Streaks hit near random parts and have -0- splash damage. Only clans should take streaks, and in the biggest size you can fit.

Once you get a feel for SRM's, you'll go artemis and never look back. It even makes packing on 3-4 of the 4-missle sized ones semi-viable.

MG's are fine with 3-4 of them at work. I fire them wildly, literally, the entire time I'm fighting people. It's annoying as heck, and by making the whole bot glow, they *might not notice what part I'm aiming for until the SRM's strip off it's armor.

* I don't really care, it's fun.

My Cent-AH should not exist and would get mocked by myself if I had seen it posted.

yeah mgs you basically hold down the fire key the moment you see a red triangle and don't let go until you run out of ammo or die

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 12, 2015

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

well heck, here's some CW phase 3 stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xR_Ugat1w

E sports

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I really wish they'd revert IS streaks to the original 1.5dmg/always goes for center of robot.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Been having tons of fun playing normal pub games with my Cicada-2CB (5 MPL's)

But id like to have something with a little more armor and firepower. What would you guys recommend for under 10 mil c-bills?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

The Urbanmech/garbagebot cannot be bought with ingame cash/c-bills. You have to spend actual money to get it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xii posted:

But id like to have something with a little more armor and firepower. What would you guys recommend for under 10 mil c-bills?

Maybe some Blackjacks

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=80&l=22eb5cdeec6b7af026130b32d015e9307d25fc34

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=79&l=aef58e3eb8b56f6a2d1476d103a030309d3a6902

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So I decided to start this stupid thing back up because it's Christmas break and robots seem like a good way to pass time til January. Did they do some sort of wipe of accounts that hadn't played for a long time at some point? I still have all the MC I got with my founder thing, along with the Centurion and Atlas I bought way back when, but my c-bills are completely gone - which is fine I guess, the cadet bonuses keep giving me nice amounts, but still.

I'll need to actually buy a thing eventually, so I wanna ask: Is the Summoner as bad as some of the posts here make it out o be? It was always a favorite of mine for brawling in MW3/MW4. If it really is, what are some good alternatives at the Heavy level?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
What's the story with Mech XP? Everything seems to be back to square one, which is rather annoying, as I've spent quite a lot of real money (well, relatively speaking) on xp conversion during the beta....am I missing something?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Ooh yeah that looks pretty good.

One thing though, should I wait untill I can get a Stormcrow (or something like it) so I can get more bang for my c-bills?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

That Italian Guy posted:

What's the story with Mech XP? Everything seems to be back to square one, which is rather annoying, as I've spent quite a lot of real money (well, relatively speaking) on xp conversion during the beta....am I missing something?

No one lost xp or anything. They adjusted the values on some of the mech-specific skill tree stuff so that the difference between an elited mech and a basic mech isn't quite so overpowering. Mostly lowering the effects of basics and adjusting speed tweak down from 10% to 7.5%.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Oh Snapple! posted:

So I decided to start this stupid thing back up because it's Christmas break and robots seem like a good way to pass time til January. Did they do some sort of wipe of accounts that hadn't played for a long time at some point? I still have all the MC I got with my founder thing, along with the Centurion and Atlas I bought way back when, but my c-bills are completely gone - which is fine I guess, the cadet bonuses keep giving me nice amounts, but still.

I'll need to actually buy a thing eventually, so I wanna ask: Is the Summoner as bad as some of the posts here make it out o be? It was always a favorite of mine for brawling in MW3/MW4. If it really is, what are some good alternatives at the Heavy level?

It's possible you haven't played since closed beta, where there was a wipe. That was years ago.

And yes the Summoner is just bad. You could probably make one work now if you boat SRMs, but your clan heavy alternatives are basically in descending order: Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars (Which are like small timberwolves), or Hellbringers which have ECM.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Game looks like noob pay to win poo poo, get good bitches

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's possible you haven't played since closed beta, where there was a wipe. That was years ago.

And yes the Summoner is just bad. You could probably make one work now if you boat SRMs, but your clan heavy alternatives are basically in descending order: Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars (Which are like small timberwolves), or Hellbringers which have ECM.

Thanks, think I'll probably look at an Ebon Jaguar because it just hit me that the thing is a drat Cauldron Born.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Game looks like noob pay to win poo poo, get good bitches

Well that was cute. :jerkbag:

Xii fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xii posted:

that's a nice robot after quirks.

Jaegers are good (twin AC20 is loving hilarious) hunchbacks are good (4g with an AC20 or the 4sp with ... 5 ml and 3 srm6, i think?). Timberwolf is the best robot in the game but costs like 15 mill. Stormcrows are good.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
This is the AS-7 I use, called the Splatlas.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=241&l=34897a95262a63cad3792bdc574f0a4591f956c3

edit:

inb4 :goonsay: over "zomg ur bad cuz command console"

Skoll fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 12, 2015

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Pattonesque posted:

someone made a comic guide to group MWO tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573089143

p. cool actually

thanks for posting this, should be required reading

should go in OP actually

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Xii posted:

One thing though, should I wait until I can get a Stormcrow (or something like it) so I can get more bang for my c-bills?
Yes, you should wait and get a Stormcrow (or if you like heavies a Timberwolf). They're pretty amazing - with omnipods you can swap hardpoints to try out almost any build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So SRM's sure are a loving thing now, jesus. I just threw 6 medium lasers and 4 srm-4's on a stalker 3f with a 300 standard and all the armor it can carry. I basically just right-clicked my way to 7 easy kills and 900 damage, why is literally everyone in every game not boating these loving missiles? Gonna get my Atlas DDC out of mothballs for a round or two tomorrow I think. Because if there's one thing better than being an angry missile-spewing 2-legged fortress, it's being an angry missile-spewing 2-legged fortress you can't see coming.

It's been so long since I've used basically any of my mechs, what's a good build for the Illest Marmoset these days? I think mine's set up with 3ml/3 AC5's and an xl engine. Dunno if that's still serviceable or not. I'm not sure I can stomach grinding up the 7+ more millions I'd need to buy a timberwolf, but breaking out some of my +30% cbill earners would help. I have a Marmoset, Heavy Metal, Flame, the King Crab we got for whatever reason, the Almost a DDC Atlas, and the Centurion AH if anyone's got suggestions for those. I've also got all four founders mechs too, because I was a hopeful loving idiot :suicide:

• Locked thread