Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"No tell Bizarro of pigeons, Kal.... will not be pigeons?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Corek posted:

Wasn't Brainiac an autistic kid Superman had to kill in that one "pitch" posted here all those years ago?

It was Bizzaro

SlimGoodbody posted:

On that note, I think Bizarro, while maybe not a good villain to carry a movie, could be a tragic and beautiful piece of plot for a Supes movie. Someone (maybe Luthor, yawn) attempts to clone a Superman they can control, or maybe reverse engineer Superman-like abilities with a few drops of his blood. They want to use it to discredit the original Supes and turn public opinion against him. Bizarro ends up breaking loose and rampaging.

Don't make him evil, make him really dishearteningly broken in the head. He just keeps trying to "help" and "do the right thing," but he gets it all wrong because he's mentally deficient. Think Lenny trying to pet the rabbits. The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer. Supes has a period of reflection on whether he's any different, or if he's getting in the way of humanity moving itself forward by coddling it so much. He decides that he has to follow Bizarro's example and keep trying to do right, no matter what, and goes to take on the big bad guy that was responsible for/controlling Bizarro with a new sense of anger and purpose.

Or something. Whatever. You get the idea.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now I'm thinking it would be funny if the creation ends up being a Bizarro version of Zod. Like, he still retains Zod's territorialism and stuff but now he'll have been born on Earth and think he's a human. So now he'll be hating Superman just for being an alien.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Martman posted:

Now I'm thinking it would be funny if the creation ends up being a Bizarro version of Zod. Like, he still retains Zod's territorialism and stuff but now he'll have been born on Earth and think he's a human. So now he'll be hating Superman just for being an alien.

Bizarro Zod tries to be a villainous conqueror but keeps saving the day better than Superman does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sean10mm posted:

Bizarro Zod tries to be a villainous conqueror but keeps saving the day better than Superman does.

"ZOD AM DESTROY CAT IN TREE! TREE KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"
"Oh thank you for saving Mr Snuffles!!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

Wow, this looks horrible. I don't know which looks dumber: hipster Lex Luthor

Hipster in this case meaning "white person I dislike".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Can someone remind me what business Luthor is in in this movie again?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lady Naga posted:

Can someone remind me what business Luthor is in in this movie again?

Tech.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Is it specified what kind of tech so far? I'm guessing he's a silicon valley neo-yuppie wunderkind but has it been concretely laid out?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I do not know, but if I had to guess, I'd say biotechnology.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Fair enough. That doesn't seem like a very hipstery profession.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lady Naga posted:

It's obvious to think Zuckerberg but you should actually be thinking Elon Musk.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lady Naga posted:

...you'd be surprised.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I mean "hipster" is a basically meaningless qualifier these days anyway.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Agreed but like 4 years ago

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lady Naga posted:

It always was

(But I secretly still use it to describe people with dumb facial hair that I don't like)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Well yeah of course, it just means even less today. I can't think of another term that got devalued so quickly ("SJW" is getting there though).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Is it specified what kind of tech so far? I'm guessing he's a silicon valley neo-yuppie wunderkind but has it been concretely laid out?

Isn't it obvious

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

So he's in the lucrative "steal imagery from Human Revolution wholesale" market. Good for him.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

LexOS better not become Brainiac.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xeremides posted:

LexOS better not become Brainiac.

Seems likely, although I don't know when they'd have time for it. I'm guessing the Justice League movies are going to focus around Darkseid.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

(c) 2015 WARNER BROS. ENT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, TM & (c) DC COMICS at the bottom breaks my immersion :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PiedPiper posted:

(c) 2015 WARNER BROS. ENT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, TM & (c) DC COMICS at the bottom breaks my immersion :colbert:

It's there for the dummies who might think it's real.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Michel Wilkinson shared some info about the movie on the CCXP in Brazil

quote:

About Aquaman:
My inspiration for Aquaman is actually Jason Momoa, he was born to play Aquaman. And so, he has some fantastic tattoos of his own. And got my mind thinking about how to go in a really interesting new direction for the scales that we usually see on Aquaman, so we decided to do them with tattoos and with some cool armor.
He also said that he starts in a way but develops a new look.

About Batman:
(...)he's been fighting crime for twenty years on the big bad streets of Gotham and so his costume is shredded and it's ripped and it's torn. It's distressed, it's got bullet holes in it. We wanted to say, 'this Batman doesn't really need gadgets or armor,' his intimidating strength is his real power.

About Flash:
You do get a glimpse of him, of course, in Batman v Superman. It's a different silhouette than the other ones and I think that's what makes the Justice League so amazing. They all are different, together they are super strong, but they all have their own different fighting styles, their own different look, their own different physique. The Flash is more like an Olympic marathon runner or something like that. He's shredded and he's not as bulky and as huge as a lot of the other guys in the League.

About Wonder Woman:
We wanted her to stand next to the two male counterparts and be very much their equal. So, she brings something very different to the table and she has this incredible power and strength and she also combines that with a grace and a compassion and a majesty that makes her special.

About Superman:
And, also, Zack wanted to include a Joseph Campbell quote in the suit, so there's a quote from Joseph Campbell: 'Where we thought to stand alone, we will be with all the world' and we decided to translate that into Kryptonian and we put it through the 'S' on his chest, through his cuffs, his belt, through his bicep, just to give a little extra something for the fan with very sharp vision to appreciate.

About when BvS is set:
This film takes place about 8 months after Man Of Steel. This cataclysmic event at the end of Man of Steel. And now we're in a world where the consequences of that event are being processed. Many people were killed in that event and a lot of people see Superman as being responsible for those deaths. And that's something we deal with in this film. It's the nature of power, the responsibility that comes with having this incredible superpowers.

And finally, about the nightmare:
It's like a dream that Ben has, so we wanted to, it has almost a Mad Max quality to it where it's like the end of the world, trying to survive and then of course Superman and his minions come, so it's sort of a way of representing the amazing amounts of, the sort of obsessive quality that Bruce Wayne has about the threat of Superman. In this film, Superman, of course he's normally seen as a figure of hope, a positive thing, but in this film, his motivations, the consequences of his actions are really being questioned by the world. Is he a savior? Or is he a dangerous alien with unknown intentions? And this becomes an obsession for Bruce Wayne. And he really wants to sort it out. So, it's manifested in this sort of incredible dream that Zack decided to create.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=127689

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
The idea of Doomsday being so threatening that it compels other heroes to come out of the woodwork in order to save the world is really cool to me. Looking forward to seeing the costuming too. It's kinda funny though considering that the central conflict in BvS for Batman seems to be reconciling the idea of one man with incredible power and whether or not he can be trusted and then BAM, here's Wonder Woman. BAM, here's Flash. Oh and BAM, Aquaman's here too! Whaddaya think of that, B?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skizzzer posted:

The idea of Doomsday being so threatening that it compels other heroes to come out of the woodwork in order to save the world is really cool to me. Looking forward to seeing the costuming too. It's kinda funny though considering that the central conflict in BvS for Batman seems to be reconciling the idea of one man with incredible power and whether or not he can be trusted and then BAM, here's Wonder Woman. BAM, here's Flash. Oh and BAM, Aquaman's here too! Whaddaya think of that, B?

If you can't beat them, join them (and gather intel in their weaknesses).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Every gangster that Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended.

Thought about this and laughed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skizzzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxqq83_okxs

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hat Thoughts posted:

Thought about this and laughed

what if dredd kills their children too (very likely)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Skizzzer posted:

That's what WB is going for with the DCCU and has been talking about it ever since Man of Steel became the kicking-off point for it. Even Suicide Squad had a brief mention in its trailer of Superman being a beacon for the supervillains to come back out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Joker reads an internet message board. "I blame Superman for everything. He's more terrifying than the Joker!" says one post. "The worst Supervillain yet!" crows another. I gotta fix this he thinks, before walking into a local tattoo parlor and getting "Kiss this, Superman!" inked on his right butt cheek.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Joker reads an internet message board. "I blame Superman for everything. He's more terrifying than the Joker!" says one post. "The worst Supervillain yet!" crows another. I gotta fix this he thinks, before walking into a local tattoo parlor and getting "Kiss this, Superman!" inked on his right butt cheek.

Other than being supernaturally lucky*, Joker doesn't really have special abilities though.

*ie, http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Other than being supernaturally lucky*, Joker doesn't really have special abilities though.

*ie, http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

Excuse me I think you'll find that the Joker is Super-Sane, which means he is aware of his comic book nature, and also had access to an ancient vat full of healing liquids which allowed him to recover from any injury.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Joker has the ultimate superpower - Reader Interest! You can drat near do anything with that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me I think you'll find that the Joker is Super-Sane, which means he is aware of his comic book nature, and also had access to an ancient vat full of healing liquids which allowed him to recover from any injury.
If the Joker is aware that he's fictional, then are his actions actually evil? Or is he just being nice and giving Batman stuff to do in his stories.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That's why their relationship is one of the best in popular fiction. They validate each other's existence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
These supposed spoilers are making the rounds on the internet, most likely bullshit as usual but entertaining nonetheless.

* Luthor uses Project Black Zero to create a "Black Zero" Superman that triggers something called the "Doomsday protocol" in Zod. Luthor gets arrested after the trinity stops Doomsday, and he's found chained up with a Batman brand on his back.Wonder Woman is there because of Darkseid nonsense.

* Doomsday is something that lies within each Kryptonian (Except Superman, because he had a natural birth) to prevent cloning and revival.

* Scoot McNairy is William Magnus, who has a direct influence on the creation of Cyborg, but leaves when he finds out Luthor's a total douche.

* Doomsday breaks loose six months after Batman and Superman fight.

* Batman and Superman become friends (And even fight crime together) because they during their fight Bruce has a heart attack, and Superman rushes Batman back to Wayne Manor to save him, thus earning his trust.

* The credits have the Justice League (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) doing Justice League stuff, with an appearance by Aquaman helping Wonder Woman with a flood, Batman working with Cyborg, and Superman and Flash sprinting through a city.

* Doomsday is sent to the Phantom Zone, opened by Batman, by Superman after a distraction from Wonder Woman.

* Jenna Malone plays Carrie Kelly in a cameo, Gordon is not mentioned anywhere

* Lex gets cancer due experimenting with Kriptonyte and shaves his head.

* Dick and Jason are name dropped by Alfred

* Flash's costume is "like a combination between a Swat Team uniform and a diver's suit. The helmet is a rubbery plastic with metal wing ears like Jay Garrick's. He doesn't wear lenses. There are different textures on the suit, but it all seems kinda rubbery or duct tape type material. It's thick. It's brighter red in the center and darker red on the legs and the seems. He has faded yellow boots and gloves."

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
There's also an interview with the production designer of BvS: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=127967

quote:

"We are able to tell a story in a fresh way," Tatopoulos explains. "Doomsday is an evolution essentially. Fans may be aware of the death of Superman story, but this is handled in such a new way."

quote:

"When the film is called Batman v or versus Superman, it really has a lot of levels to the meaning. Superman isn't just killed off at the end of something. We see how he evolves as part of Lex's plan to protect the world. Seeing the Superman we know, be gone, and then replaced with this reproduction is really going to make fans think of how we look at these super beings. It was especially interesting to figure out, how would you create Superman from Zod... then how would that involve into Doomsday... larger threat" at play, while the "timeframe of how things fall into place will surprise fans"

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
"timeframe of how things fall into place will surprise fans"

Looks like this kinda corresponds with the probably fake spoilers posted two posts above. That would redeem the trailer in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Yeah, that would be pretty balla.

• Locked thread