Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNat
May 16, 2009
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/f1771cca05ace4c440bd873222160fecbd50a1be

Time to set up a Anima farming group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently, WTFast is killing off their free tier.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Technogeek posted:

Effective December 14.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anderron Shi posted:

Effective December 14.

Welp, gently caress that then. This game is the only one that I use WTF for and I'm not going to effectively double my subscription cost for a program that I only need some of the time, and only gives improvements part of the time.

I should mention that I play a lot of Titanfall and Rocket League and both those games suffer horribly in the presence of lag. Never had to use WTF for either one.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Technogeek posted:

Looks like I am not renewing my FF14 sub.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I've never had to use a VPN for FFXIV (or any game), so I can't relate.

Thyrork posted:

I will also continue to stickup for Alexander, in a "Do it at least once, maybe more if you're really into that." way. :colbert:

But it's not as cool as Coil, and like we can't have two cool things...????

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LordNat posted:

Looks like I am not renewing my FF14 sub.

Silly as it sounds, I doubt I'll play again unless there's some decent free/very cheap option out there that pops up. I live on the opposite side of the continent and have some kind of weird fuckhouse route to the game servers that means it's impossible for me to fit in two off-GCDs without clipping my GCDs badly unless I'm on a VPN. In an ideal world, of course, the game would just be adjusted under the expectations of everyone not having a <40 ping. Maybe in the future they'll adjust a bunch of classes and hard lock it so you can only fit in one off-GCD, or adjust the network code to give more clientside authority for ability use, but I doubt it. v:shobon:v

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Vermain posted:

Silly as it sounds, I doubt I'll play again unless there's some decent free/very cheap option out there that pops up. I live on the opposite side of the continent and have some kind of weird fuckhouse route to the game servers that means it's impossible for me to fit in two off-GCDs without clipping my GCDs badly unless I'm on a VPN. In an ideal world, of course, the game would just be adjusted under the expectations of everyone not having a <40 ping. Maybe in the future they'll adjust a bunch of classes and hard lock it so you can only fit in one off-GCD, or adjust the network code to give more clientside authority for ability use, but I doubt it. v:shobon:v

The game is entirely unplayable without some kind of VPN bypassing that Level 3 switch. Without WTFast I get near 75% packet loss. FF14 is the only program I have this problem with.
I just can't see paying an extra $5 a month for a VPN I use for one game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

If your ISP is like mine (comcast in the twin cities area) the problem is not that the ping is 200ms instead of 40ms. The problem that you'll lose connection to the server for a few seconds every minute. Even if your "average ping" is 100ms instead of 200ms if that is a bunch of 20ms responses interspersed with some very long ones then any game is going to have trouble.

The real problem is their data center is Montreal instead of somewhere that American ISPs will have a lot of good routes to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know PS4/360 controllers are basically the go to for people playing without a kb/mouse but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using a Steam controller for this game?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Finally. Also what ilv you think it will be? 210?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If someone with more network than me can comment, but with some experimentation and work could you just not program your own static route?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Here come the Brachiosaur atmas.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perhaps they've learned their lesson and will allow a guaranteed way to get atmas as well as the random drop.

Say 100 materia V? :suicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Tusk posted:

If someone with more network than me can comment, but with some experimentation and work could you just not program your own static route?

Uh I could be wrong but I really really do not think that is at all possible. That's not really how the internet or ISPs work.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Iron Tusk posted:

Well, you really only have control over your own routing table(s), don't you? You could add a static route, but that really only lets you point to the 'next hop', which wouldn't get you outside your ISP's own dynamic routing, AIUI.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Endings posted:

Well, you really only have control over your own routing table(s), don't you? You could add a static route, but that really only lets you point to the 'next hop', which wouldn't get you outside your ISP's own dynamic routing, AIUI.

You can in theory push your first hop in a way that the new route your ISP makes bypasses that lovely switch. But it's mostly be a case of trial and error to get anywhere and the next time they reboot the servers you'd have to do it all over again.

Your best bet might be getting a higher end home router and setting up a personal VPN.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LordNat posted:

You can in theory push your first hop in a way that the new route your ISP makes bypasses that lovely switch. But it's mostly be a case of trial and error to get anywhere and the next time they reboot the servers you'd have to do it all over again.

Your best bet might be getting a higher end home router and setting up a personal VPN.

But even a VPN wouldn't actually fix it would it? That's what I was thinking about. I don't think so, not this particular problem, not necessarily.

Your only options as I see them are like, become an ISP (lol), sign some kind of business-class contract with an ISP for special services (lol), or pay WTFast to take advantage of their system.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

But even a VPN wouldn't actually fix it would it? That's what I was thinking about. I don't think so, not this particular problem, not necessarily.

Your only options as I see them are like, become an ISP (lol), sign some kind of business-class contract with an ISP for special services (lol), or pay WTFast to take advantage of their system.

A personal VPN might work based on how you set it up. I am not 100% sure tho since I have not done it.
Also in theory you can set up a LogMeIn Hamachi connection to the Servers if you can tunnel it right but I am not sure how well that'd work.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've been on a MMO kick recently and I seem to enjoy this one the most, but the lag is just killing me. I had to log out again last night because it was so horrible. I can't see myself paying for a stupid VPN as this dumb game is the only reason I'd use it. If this poo poo isn't resolved I'll probably cancel my sub after I finish the story which is a real shame.

This is dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Huh, I haven't had any connection issues at all. I guess I'm lucky? :shrug:

LordNat posted:

A personal VPN might work based on how you set it up. I am not 100% sure tho since I have not done it.
Also in theory you can set up a LogMeIn Hamachi connection to the Servers if you can tunnel it right but I am not sure how well that'd work.

No, that wouldn't actually change anything. That's exactly what I was just saying. a VPN changes nothing. You still have to go through your ISP for routing.

This is incorrect. And how the heck are you going to connect with Hamachi to Squeenix' servers? They don't run Hamachi, not that it would solve this problem anyways, again.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a VPN, but then again, its usefulness in not only various :filez:-related endeavours, but bypassing region locks is well-documented.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, I haven't had any connection issues at all. I guess I'm lucky? :shrug:

No, that wouldn't actually change anything. That's exactly what I was just saying. a VPN changes nothing. You still have to go through your ISP for routing.

This is incorrect. And how the heck are you going to connect with Hamachi to Squeenix' servers? They don't run Hamachi, not that it would solve this problem anyways, again.

The point of the VPN is to get to an end point not affected by your ISP's traffic shaping or bad edge connections. You're paying wtfast and the like for finding at least one server with a good route out of your ISP.

It's a problem with a peering connection with level3. Level3 is not our ISP. Level3 isn't SE's ISP. Neither of us can do anything about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The point of the VPN is to get to an end point not affected by your ISP's traffic shaping or bad edge connections. You're paying wtfast and the like for finding at least one server with a good route out of your ISP.

It's a problem with a peering connection with level3. Level3 is not our ISP. Level3 isn't SE's ISP. Neither of us can do anything about it.

So if the problem is with level3 what is a VPN gonna solve?

You still risk going through level3 to get to the VPN, and then possibly even again going from the VPN to SE depending. And that could all change like, every day?

Not to mention that VPN is gonna introduce some massive latency into the equation, although if your connection is constantly dropping than that'd be at least some form of improvement.

As for 'neither of us can do anything about it' well, your ISP could stop routing through Level3 unless they're completely dependent upon each other, right? But that's not going to happen anyways.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay, cool. The tutorial popup said something about the bonus scaling with how far ahead your highest class is, hence my confusion.

Does it apply to quest rewards too, or just kill/FATE XP?

The only xp that scales is dungeon clear XP and that's for level synced purposes. IE if you're a level 59 dude doing Sastasha normal in a roulette, you're getting a freaking ton of 'bonus' XP for clearing it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If your ISP's only peering connection is one link to level3 in Chicago (iirc) then you have much larger issues.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
guys it's not like level3 owns the only backbone machine in montreal, if that was true wtfast wouldn't work either

This isn't really my field, but it took me about four minutes to confirm that AWS instances in the us-west regions can route to Montreal without going through level3 machines (they use GTT's tier-1 instead). I'll toy around with SOCKs later tonight, but if true you can just spin up a free micro instance and route all your traffic through that.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If your ISP's only peering connection is one link to level3 in Chicago (iirc) then you have much larger issues.

Like Comcast being the only "high speed" ISP in my city. The next closest caps out at 10 mbps for the same cost as my "60" (really 30ish) connection from Comcast.

Last time I called to complain their rep told me "It's not like you NEED internet, if you don't like it just deal with it or cancel".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LordNat posted:

Like Comcast being the only "high speed" ISP in my city. The next closest caps out at 10 mbps for the same cost as my "60" (really 30ish) connection from Comcast.

Last time I called to complain their rep told me "It's not like you NEED internet, if you don't like it just deal with it or cancel".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hello I play from Europe and I VPN to a different country in Europe because the connection to Canada from my own country goes through Level 3. By VPNing to the Netherlands, I can avoid the lovely route and suddenly not lose 30% of the packets from the game

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So what I'm gathering from all of this is that somehow, Level 3 is like some sort of horrible Canadian bridge troll.

I'm actually kind of surprised ISPs haven't caught on to providing a similar service to WTFast where you could customize your routing route to some degree. Of course, they probably couldn't be trusted to handle it in a way that involves any form of integrity and it would end up being a net neutrality type issue where they use it as an excuse to start actively messing with traffic priorities.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

hello I play from Europe and I VPN to a different country in Europe because the connection to Canada from my own country goes through Level 3. By VPNing to the Netherlands, I can avoid the lovely route and suddenly not lose 30% of the packets from the game

Fair enough. I guess that makes sense because you at least force it to find some alternate route than the default. Seems like it could get messed up but if it works then cool.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Correction: it appears that all of the major cloud computing platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure) are part of Level 3's Cloud Connect Solutions program. This basically means that they paid Level 3 a boatload of money for better performance, which isn't a violation of net neutrality because

Anyway, this means that you should be able to set up a proxy on whatever one of those services offers the best free trial/has a region closest to you and take advantage of their deep pockets to skip the line at Level 3's Montreal machines.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So I tried logging back into my account after a few months, and realized I had deleted the security token app from my phone. When I went to log back in, it required a registration password from the Account Management page. So, of course, I went there and realized I had forgotten my password, and asked for a reset. I take the link...and that requires a one-time password.

Am I just screwed? I was going to call customer support at some point to work it out, but if there are any alternatives I should go with first?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Obligatum VII posted:

So what I'm gathering from all of this is that somehow, Level 3 is like some sort of horrible Canadian bridge troll.

I'm actually kind of surprised ISPs haven't caught on to providing a similar service to WTFast where you could customize your routing route to some degree. Of course, they probably couldn't be trusted to handle it in a way that involves any form of integrity and it would end up being a net neutrality type issue where they use it as an excuse to start actively messing with traffic priorities.

Nah, Level 3 Communications is American. They're also well known for being jackasses about peering arrangements and basically entering into multiple standoffs with Comcast and Verizon over uneven peering (primarily caused by Netflix, meaning they were sending way more data out than they were receiving in, which is the entire purpose of a "peering" arrangement - being equal "peers").

So I'm sure if you asked Level 3 about this, they'd blame your ISPs connections to them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm starting to feel the itch to resub, or at the very least make use of the four free days to knock out any events that're active once Starlight Festival starts, presumably in a week.

In the meantime, I was curious about what I've been missing. I heard the new dungeons and Vanu quests are good, but I haven't heard a lot of anything about Void Ark and Diadem. What gives? Are they crap? Or better yet, are they fun and good in a way that makes the peanut gallery mad?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Meldonox posted:

I'm starting to feel the itch to resub, or at the very least make use of the four free days to knock out any events that're active once Starlight Festival starts, presumably in a week.

In the meantime, I was curious about what I've been missing. I heard the new dungeons and Vanu quests are good, but I haven't heard a lot of anything about Void Ark and Diadem. What gives? Are they crap? Or better yet, are they fun and good in a way that makes the peanut gallery mad?

Diadem is awful poo poo. Void Ark is cool.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

Void Ark owns. If you like difficult content it also sounds like the new bard mode is very good.

Diadem is, uh, there? You can get a Pegasus mount and potentially really nice i210 gear. It may appeal to you if you are the kind of person who can run repeated boss FATEs for an extended period without going insane. Goon interest fell real fast though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Now that everyone is figuring out Void Ark, it's not so bad. It's a great spot to get gear and gear upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
All the Void Ark gear is ugly though. Bad option for true endgame.

• Locked thread