Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Wait a second, so a mechanicum sub orbital strike wing can be any flyer not normally available to the list, so I could use my fire raptor as a single choice (being 4 hp instead of the 1-3 for 3 hp and less) in the slot, and then give it battle servitor control?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Imagine how pissed Angron would be if he discovered he had actually been leading Alpha Legion troops all along

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Fearless posted:

Imagine how pissed Angron would be if he discovered he had actually been leading Alpha Legion troops all along

Imagine how pissed Alpharius would be if he discovered Angron had implanted the nails into his troops and they were all going insane and becoming incapable of much more than "charge, swing, if still alive repeat procedure".

Like seriously, that would suck.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Wait a second, so a mechanicum sub orbital strike wing can be any flyer not normally available to the list, so I could use my fire raptor as a single choice (being 4 hp instead of the 1-3 for 3 hp and less) in the slot, and then give it battle servitor control?

Yes, but it also becomes a LOW and you loose VP if it gets shot down

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mango Polo posted:

Wait until February before you buy any book.

Cool will do. This will be my first non-fantasy battle purchase, always been into 40k but too poor to buy anything more than single models.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Yes, but it also becomes a LOW and you loose VP if it gets shot down

Only if the price of failure is a secondary objective (which is only shatter strike and dominion), and I'm not really using the slot because the only admech LoW I have is a warhound, until I pick up an ordinatus which doesnt really help the problem of "None of my friends want to play against it to begin with but its really loving cool so im getting it anyways to look pretty on my desk"

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 10, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think its a cool option! Don't have my books on me, but I remember that you loose a certain number of VP for each fighter shot down in the wing. Not sure how that will work with a wing of just one flier.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I only see that in the price of failure, nothing in the sub orbital section. I think it will really help the lack of AA the list has overall, because im not using my reductor artillery tanks as hyperios platforms and the sentry gun versions just dont do it for me. 1 shot each at bs3, even ignoring jink its just ap3.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So I think this will be my default 1850 list for the foreseeable future. I'm open to any advice on how to improve this lis and to expand it as well. Just a few clarifications , the chaplain will be riding with the outflanking vets and the Praetor will be riding with the Gal Vorbak in the Spartan.

+++ Word Bearers (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (245pts) +

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Artificer Armour]
····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Praetor (150pts) [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (765pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Gun, Outflank, 2x Power Weapon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

+ Elites (200pts) +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (200pts) [4x Dark Brethren]

+ Heavy Support (640pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (185pts)

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVII: Word Bearers]

Created with BattleScribe

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So I have a question about the allies matrix in book 4, in it it says that the alpha legion is not sworn brothers with anybody, but on the solar auxilla entry below the legions it says they are. Could anybody elaborate on that? Does it mean that if the alpha legion is the primary detachment they are sworn brothers ( spacemarines ordering them around) or the opposite?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

the matrix does not go both ways, that is specified on that page i think. I always thought it as if the left was your primary. If that helps any.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

Hencoe posted:

the matrix does not go both ways, that is specified on that page i think. I always thought it as if the left was your primary. If that helps any.

I'll go through the page again but that does clarify the issue thank you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There was a guide or something to Sons of Horus dudes using a Vallejo paint and a wash, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about doing them but I want to do up a test piece first, otherwise I'm going with Iron Warriors.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh drat, FW just updated all of their weapon sets to include a hand, for compatibility with Betrayal models. The future is now!

E. Have fun cutting hands off the FW resin dudes.

E2. Once again Chinaman comes to the rescue.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 11, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had the same reaction. Thankfully, the People's Republic has our backs

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
That's really obnoxious, since a lot of the bolters on my guys are slung to the side rather than being held. Plus, it requires hacking off MkII and MkIII hands and replacing them with MkIVs. Thankfully, I already have all of the MkIII-related models I need, but now my MkIVs will need to hold their bolters, and I won't be adding any MkII.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
So who likes Zone Mortalis? My Night Lords Do! shits so much fun. Here is the fantastic board we got to play on tonight, seriously a great effort. Night Lords and space wolves got trounced by Alpha legion and Word bearers.

Honorable mentions go to the Gal vorbrak because they are nasty as all hell, and my Kheres Contemptor getting stuck in the door with a failed dangerous terrain test and pretty much hamstringing me from turn one!

Current Progress on the Contemptor and Termis only about 50% done.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
1. Now it's easier than ever to magnetize heavy weapons! Not sure why you'd do that overall, but eh.

2. Holy poo poo that ZM board owns.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

There was a guide or something to Sons of Horus dudes using a Vallejo paint and a wash, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about doing them but I want to do up a test piece first, otherwise I'm going with Iron Warriors.

I do:
1)Zenithal Prime
2)Basecoat of Vallejo German Army Uniform
3)Wash of GW Coelia Greenshade
4)Gold Trim
5)Black Wash
6)Highlight with German Army Uniform and a medium grey, GW Dawnstone or whatever

This looks pretty good to me. If you want a richer green color instead of the pale green this produces, use USMC Tank Crew from the Vallejo Panzer Aces line.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Would anyone bitch and scream if I used a mix of 25mm, 30mm and 32mm bases for my PA models?

I have a ton of resin bases and there's no way I'm not using the 25/30mm ones.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

panascope posted:

I do:
1)Zenithal Prime
2)Basecoat of Vallejo German Army Uniform
3)Wash of GW Coelia Greenshade
4)Gold Trim
5)Black Wash
6)Highlight with German Army Uniform and a medium grey, GW Dawnstone or whatever

This looks pretty good to me. If you want a richer green color instead of the pale green this produces, use USMC Tank Crew from the Vallejo Panzer Aces line.

Thanks, that's the one I was looking for. If I did SoH is prefer a paler green because it looks sick as hell

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

I picked up Betrayal at Calth as an entry point for an Alpha Legion force. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to assemble/equip those specific figures to get that army started?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Daaang that makes me want a ZM table extra bad

Germ
May 7, 2013

Germ posted:

Package arrived today! From the mail recovery center. The torn box meant to contain my two red HH books and the Doom of Mymeara revision showed up empty. I can (and will) submit paperwork for them to do a search, but it looks like I'm screwed. I sent a tale of woe to Forgeworld, so here's hoping, but the Isstvan book is still listed as sold out. No Heresy for Germ this Christmas. :(

Update: Forge World customer service is the best. They are resending the books. I have to wait until next year for the reprint of the Isstvan book, but everything else will ship now. Here's hoping lightning doesn't strike twice, but chances are I'll get the others before Christmas.

Thank you Forge World!

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

KuangMkV posted:

I picked up Betrayal at Calth as an entry point for an Alpha Legion force. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to assemble/equip those specific figures to get that army started?

I would probably pick up another box: That way you can make two large tactical squads 15-20 strong as your mandatory troops; a 10 man veteran tactical squad with suspensor web heavy bolters; make the contemptors into a mortis dual assault cannon shooter and the other into a dual power-fist punch bot; 6 missile launchers to make a heavy suppport squad; the terminators I would probably give power fists and bolters with a chainfist or two as contemptor insurance, maybey a heavy flamer, or convert up an auto-cannon or two; and a 6 man plasma legion support squad if you have smaller tactical squads; convert spare HQ models to whatever else you need.

That would probably be a decent chunk of points. Alpha legion infiltrate pairs nicely with the veterans and sniper. If you only want one box of calth I would make two 10 man tac squads with a 10 man legion vet squad, fist termies and an assault+fist contemptor. Proxy everything else unless you have lots of xmas card money.

Edit: I used my xmas card money to buy three Predator Executioners and a Spartan today.

krursk fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 12, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Nice post krursk. Makes me want to get a secnd box.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Damnit, I had full intentions of doing Iron Warriors and was preparing to get a list together, and I somehow ordered Sevatar and 30 Night Lord shoulder pads instead! And a bunch of chain glaives from Anvil Industries.

...but they are so pretty.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

overthefalls posted:

Damnit, I had full intentions of doing Iron Warriors and was preparing to get a list together, and I somehow ordered Sevatar and 30 Night Lord shoulder pads instead! And a bunch of chain glaives from Anvil Industries.

...but they are so pretty.

Don't do this, I'm trying not to do this as well.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Another batch of dudes ready for basing!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

Another batch of dudes ready for basing!

Where'd you get the shoulder pads?

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

Thundercloud posted:

Don't do this, I'm trying not to do this as well.

Too late.

On the plus side: I can paint lightning! I've been watching tutorials on how people are doing it, and one guy fills his airbrush with 1 part white paint to like 30 parts thinner, and uses it as a brightener, and it looks great.

I think I have an idea for a conversion of the chaplain, too. Just need a good head-swap idea.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Where'd you get the shoulder pads?

I made them. Scuplted one with green stuff and casted a bunch of copies

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ugh gently caress off Hixson. Now you're making me want to get scaly tabards for every single one of my Salamanders 30k marines.

I... I probably will.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mah dude, all hammed up. Brings a salty tear to my eye

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

krursk posted:

I would probably pick up another box: That way you can make two large tactical squads 15-20 strong as your mandatory troops; a 10 man veteran tactical squad with suspensor web heavy bolters; make the contemptors into a mortis dual assault cannon shooter and the other into a dual power-fist punch bot; 6 missile launchers to make a heavy suppport squad; the terminators I would probably give power fists and bolters with a chainfist or two as contemptor insurance, maybey a heavy flamer, or convert up an auto-cannon or two; and a 6 man plasma legion support squad if you have smaller tactical squads; convert spare HQ models to whatever else you need.

That would probably be a decent chunk of points. Alpha legion infiltrate pairs nicely with the veterans and sniper. If you only want one box of calth I would make two 10 man tac squads with a 10 man legion vet squad, fist termies and an assault+fist contemptor. Proxy everything else unless you have lots of xmas card money.

Edit: I used my xmas card money to buy three Predator Executioners and a Spartan today.

Thanks for the input!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

I made them. Scuplted one with green stuff and casted a bunch of copies

They're fantastic. Nice work.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
how many heavy bolters in the calth box?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I'm pretty sure it's 3.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
What is the cheapest way to convert the tac marines in the BoC boxed set to assault type marines? Anyone know if just general 40k ccw and bolt pistols work well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Ghost Hand posted:

What is the cheapest way to convert the tac marines in the BoC boxed set to assault type marines? Anyone know if just general 40k ccw and bolt pistols work well?

The legs arent assaulty-looking, so it will look funky. Also bolt pistols are of a different pattern in 40k.