Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

At least they *did* put Codenames in the top 10. Comments said something to the effect of "Hey, most of the top 10 is casual or party games...does that say something about SUSD's focus?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Not really. You need to add a few numbers every turn to figure out where the customers will go, but it's just 'distance + price'. Players can modify the numbers by playing pricing manager cards or by moving their restaurant around.
All cards are revealed at the beginning of the turn, so you can quickly math out what everyone else is pricing their food and plan accordingly. IMO Power Grid has more math.
I'd recommend keeping a running total of player earnings from turn to turn, but that's just because I find paper money to be annoyingly fiddly.

That or poker chips at least. The paper money they give you is horrendous. But yea, the math itself isn't particularly hard from turn to turn.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

It seems like SU&SD just picked 50 Games out of a hat and made sure Cosmic Encounter and Pandemic: Legacy were at the top.

Seriously, how does Skull, Tales of Arabian Nights, and Monikers end up in the Top 10? At least Cosmic Encounter makes some sense in that it's their favorite game for some nostalgia reasons, but Skull and Monikers are just old drinking games and Tales is a Choose Your Own Adventure book that sometimes involves your friends.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
They're into drinking games since pub culture is different there than the USA. I figure their lists are more about their own experiences with groups. Just another list among hundreds of lists. However, must be some heavy nostalgia to keep on having cosmic encounter up there each time.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
WIth Holiday Travel coming up, I'm looking for a good solution to keep my game boxes closed in my luggage. Has anyone bought any of The Broken Token's Band-Its, or something similar?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Played an awesome 3p game of Pax Porfiriana last night with a new player who ended up winning via a gold victory. I almost had it 3 times with Outrage but each time victory just barely slipped from my grasp. The first time, I had everything positioned to win by 1 but a black card with a victim awarded Outrage point came out and one of my opponents was playing the "get black cards for free" dude. Of course he assassinated one of his own partners and got the point. Second time I almost had it, but a white/blue strife got played and my winning point partner was on a white card. Final time was because I was stupid. I misread Henry Ford as an Outrage point (he's a blue card, damnit!!) and was literally about to topple after playing a US troop during Anarchy onto a Mexican enterprise to switch to US intervention and topple with -1 to Diaz. I played the troop, started counting up and suddenly realized what a loving idiot I am. Apparently not content to be laughed at once, I smugly drop my last Orange card which would have still given me the point I needed...until I realized that it was for US jurisdiction and only had Mexican enterprises.

I passed the rest of my turn, the guy to my left bought the remaining two topples with no chance of anyone winning on prestige, and won by 6 gold.

Man I love this game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Wow, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose for £13 may break my mini vow not to get any board games this Christmas. YouTube reviews seem positive, but I can't deny ita the Vlaada name drawing me? A silly social game would be thebideal for Christmas, is this one any good?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fat Turkey posted:

Wow, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose for £13 may break my mini vow not to get any board games this Christmas. YouTube reviews seem positive, but I can't deny ita the Vlaada name drawing me? A silly social game would be thebideal for Christmas, is this one any good?

It's great if you can find people who can actually relax and just play the game and stop worrying about looking like a bunch of goobers making weird gestures and faces.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

deadwing posted:

It's number 2

Evil Mastermind posted:

It was actually #2!

Wow, I only missed by one spot?

#2 is still a far cry from "not on the list," which it was what I was commenting on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You're still equally as wrong :parrot:

I think they have a well rounded list for their demographic and tastes. I have issues with a lot of the games they chose as the top 50 ever, but I agree with a lot of their choices as well. Beat's Tom Vasel's by a mile as well.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007
Played Blood Rage last weekend. Final scores were something like 25, 40, 65, 140. Great game, and now I'll never get to play it again because my group has labeled it "one of those games that you always win". Down with normies.

My tips based on one playthrough: focus on more rage, then helmets, then axes. Get into areas and pillage them when there aren't any opponents nearby so that there's no risk of being fought. Try to draft double quest cards for controlling an area (pretty sure this was legal?) Pay attention to what combat bonus cards are in the draft, and save them for later rounds if they're really good.

Also, be cognizant that you and an opponent can both have troops in an area without combat necessarily triggering. I moved a guy into Yggdrasil on my last turn to deny the second place guy ~25 points from a quest for having most strength there. If he fought me, he probably could've won, but he was already out of actions. That's why more rage is good.

America Rocks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 11, 2015

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

foxxtrot posted:

WIth Holiday Travel coming up, I'm looking for a good solution to keep my game boxes closed in my luggage. Has anyone bought any of The Broken Token's Band-Its, or something similar?

Those seem a little over-priced. I use silicone x-bands for big boxes and Hugo's Amazing Tape for small boxes (and decks of cards and such inside bigger boxes). Love them, especially the Amazing Tape for small box games.

X-Bands: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1EV7ZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Amazing Tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5XR4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Work group just finished September in Pandemic: Legacy.

:gonk:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Where do UK people buy decent baggies for their board games? Specifically card sized.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CancerCakes posted:

Where do UK people buy decent baggies for their board games? Specifically card sized.

Amazon.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I did a thing! Print and play codenames:

(I'm not sure why it looks like I took this photo during a dream sequence)

Click the button and it populates the sheet from the word list on the other sheet and you can print out as many randomized grids as you want. Use the handy app for the spymaster and sticky notes for the agents.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 11, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

By the way, Codenames is now available in major retailers including Target, Amazon, etc.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone heard from Vlaada lately? Paul Grogan dropped any hints on what he might be up to now that Codenames and TTA have dropped?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Elysium posted:

(I'm not sure why it looks like I took this photo during a dream sequence)

Sort the word list in excel by random numbers (=rand()) and it populates the sheet and you can print out as many randomized grids as you want. Use the handy app for the spymaster and sticky notes for the agents.

Is Dwarf in the actual game? I don't remember all of the words.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

sonatinas posted:

How would I know? :shrug:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Elysium posted:

How would I know? :shrug:

The words were chosen for a particular reason per Paul Grogan so playing with just a random set of words might be deluding the challenge of the game.

quote:

A lot of work has gone into choosing the words that will be in the actual game - they are not just random words

Each word in Codenames has 2 or more associations and can mean different things. I'm not sure the game works that well with just random words, as there are less associations.

It does look nice though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone heard from Vlaada lately? Paul Grogan dropped any hints on what he might be up to now that Codenames and TTA have dropped?

From what I've read, it sounds like CGE is putting the bulk of their resources now into polishing up the apps for TTA and Dungeon Lords puzzle mode for a 2016 release, which most likely includes Vlaada himself working on them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I already have Galaxy Trucker (which took two tries to get my friends into but now they love it) and Codenames, and I just ordered Tash-Kalar for a boardgame day with just me and another dude. Now I am going to use those I think as a selling point to buy and introduce Space Alert before the end of the year. I'm going all in on Vlaada.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

taser rates posted:

From what I've read, it sounds like CGE is putting the bulk of their resources now into polishing up the apps for TTA and Dungeon Lords puzzle mode for a 2016 release, which most likely includes Vlaada himself working on them.

Also jesus he just released two games this year. Let the man breathe. Or else he'll turn into Reiner Knizia.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Elysium posted:

Click the button and it populates the sheet from the word list on the other sheet and you can print out as many randomized grids as you want. Use the handy app for the spymaster and sticky notes for the agents.

Seems like a lot of work (and materials if you're reprinting new words for each game which means more costs) for a game that you can just buy for $20 MSRP.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Merauder posted:

Seems like a lot of work (and materials if you're reprinting new words for each game which means more costs) for a game that you can just buy for $20 MSRP.

Not much work, just an excel grid with an image overlayed, and unless you're going to play several hundred games I don't think cost will be an issue (and after a couple hundred games... or just a few dozen... you are probably safe to replay your first sheet with a different spy grid and probably different people). As a bonus it's actually easier to set up a game (new sheet vs setting out 25 cards).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just looking over your example there proved the point mentioned above, a lot of your words do not meaningfully link to anything else. Word choice was very deliberate in the game design, and that's what makes it so good.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

By the way, Codenames is now available in major retailers including Target, Amazon, etc.

Yeah, except I'm not paying $50 for it. I'd rather just wait a couple of months until it goes back down to $20.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those retailers all charge msrp, $20. If you're looking at 3rd party prices that's where you're seeing gouging. Books a Million and B&N even have it now.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Those retailers all charge msrp, $20. If you're looking at 3rd party prices that's where you're seeing gouging. Books a Million and B&N even have it now.

If you do a search on Amazon for Codenames, the only offering there is for $50+ and it isn't even on Target's website. It may be at Barnes and Noble physically, but not anywhere around me and the website doesn't have it for sale either except through their "marketplace sellers." :(

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

sonatinas posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember it from the last game I played

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Just looking over your example there proved the point mentioned above, a lot of your words do not meaningfully link to anything else. Word choice was very deliberate in the game design, and that's what makes it so good.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Not only are many of those words in this image (I suspect most of the rest are on the backs),

But the point of the words are not that they "meaningfully link" to each other, but that they are purposefully vague but have double meanings... like every word on the board. You make the links.

p.s. Burglar: 5

Elysium fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 12, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elysium posted:

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Not only are many of those words in this image (I suspect most of the rest are on the backs),

But the point of the words are not that they "meaningfully link" to each other, but that they are purposefully vague but have double meanings... like every word on the board. You make the links.

p.s. Burglar: 5

lock, bank, break, compound, cloak?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

lock, bank, break, compound, cloak?

You got 4. I wasn't thinking compound, but that's a good guess. Cat, as in Cat Burglar. Also maybe racket, as in he makes one, or tries not to make one but then again I'm cheating because who knows if all those words would be my color. It could also be confounded with Palm or Jack, both could mean to steal.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 12, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm pretty sure all of those words are actually from Codenames. Including dwarf. I haven't seen break or wind, but :laugh:.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Foot in my mouth then I guess. I just read that other post and read the list and it seemed like a pretty random group of words compared to what I'm used to seeing in the game.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been designing a sci-fi themed Betrayal, with a few new mechanics to increase player agency. Toying with a mechanic allowing players to increase the likelihood that they'll be the betrayer, and another mechanic that "foreshadows" the theme of the haunt. The idea is that the players would be securing areas and obtaining items which would be likely to help them with the haunt (or to betray the others), rather than just stumbling around flipping over tiles until the haunt starts.

My friends LOVE Betrayal. We play it almost every time we get together to play games. They also love Coup. My hope is that I can make a game that's about eighty five percent Betrayal, with some of the bluffing and backstabbing we love so much in Coup.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Playing Argent: The Consortium right now. Hating it. What am I not getting about it?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The End posted:

Playing Argent: The Consortium right now. Hating it. What am I not getting about it?

What do you hate about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Crackbone posted:

What do you hate about it?

My experience with Argent was that you have four opponents, and each of them has four spells, and each of those spells is actually three different spells stacked on top of each other, and also they have a half-dozen magic items and supporters each, and you can't see what any of them do because the table is enormous. But if you don't keep track of every line of text on them, anything you do could backfire horribly. You also can't tell at a glance whose workers are whose, because ownership is distinguished not by the figurine's color but by the color of a small cardboard chit on one side of the figurine, and all their colors are very dark and washed-out and hard to distinguish without looking closely.

Basically, I find it unnecessarily difficult to keep track of the game-state, which isn't a complaint I remember having about any other game I've played.