Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

17 year old, middle name Ny'quelle.

Mykweze informs me his name is pronounced like "Marquis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The American pronounciation of "Marquis" or the English one - because going by those letters it's a third, entirely independent, pronounciation.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From imgur.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

The American pronounciation of "Marquis" or the English one - because going by those letters it's a third, entirely independent, pronounciation.

I think the American and English pronunciations are pretty much the same, MAR-kwiss. The French is different with mar-KEE.

That name seems to spell out MICK-WHEEZE though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

From imgur.

If those parents were really pro-tier Sora's middle name would be Donald Goofy

e: and Riku's gonna have a hard time in late elementary school when mean kids start calling him Rikku

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antifreeze Head posted:

I think the American and English pronunciations are pretty much the same, MAR-kwiss. The French is different with mar-KEE.

That name seems to spell out MICK-WHEEZE though.

In my experience, Americans say Markee, and boggle when people on BBC or whatever say Markwiss. When I first played Final Fantasy 12 I actually thought the actors were mispronouncing it, until enough characters had said it I looked it up.

Incidentally, I usually see them spelled differently when they're in media that actually has an editor. Marquess vs Marquis. Though some folks seem to think Marquess is a female Marquis. That's marchioness/maquise.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
This is pretty true, though it's not a very commonly used word in the US anyway. The only thing that comes to mind is the Mercury Grand Marquis, and they quit making those years ago.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It was also famously referenced by celebrated American musician Biz Markie when he developed his stage name, as was Markie's idol and the first chancellor of Germany Otto von Bismarck

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
While trawling through Tinder today I saw an Alicesiah and a Teighler.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I saw an interview with an old Chinese dude whose English name was Money, but that's actually kind of awesome.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, he pronounces it like "markwiss" without the r. He insists it's "French."

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Euneek.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, he pronounces it like "markwiss" without the r. He insists it's "French."

My middle name is Marquis. My mom pronounces it like the Brits (mar-kwiss) but for the longest time I've pronounced it as "mar-key."

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Saw a report on the news about a child running away from home. Kid's name is Tidus.
I'd run away too if my parents named me that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cyberia posted:

While trawling through Tinder today I saw an Alicesiah and a Teighler.

Which way did you swipe

The Zombie Guy posted:

Saw a report on the news about a child running away from home. Kid's name is Tidus.
I'd run away too if my parents named me that.

Naming your child Tidus says bad things about you as a parent for multiple reasons

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Maybe they're Shakespeare fans and also bad at spelling? :downs:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Last name McAnally. Probably not pronounced anything like I'm imagining, but drat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

loquacius posted:

Naming your child Tidus says bad things about you as a parent for multiple reasons

Well if you're sure he's going to rejecht you and hate you anyway, may as well set the table for it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Well if you're sure he's going to rejecht you and hate you anyway, may as well set the table for it.

A pun that bad must be a Sin

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It was from a few years back, but today I was randomly reminded of Beezow Zoppity-Bop-Bop-Bop.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

subpar anachronism posted:

Last name McAnally. Probably not pronounced anything like I'm imagining, but drat.

Usually pronounced "Macka Nally" or such. I know someone with this surname and struggled with it the first time I met her. She was my new boss too.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015
Once, while working at a call center I got to deal with the following people:
Princess Pringle
Prometheus Butler

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mom Party posted:

Prometheus Butler

This is not a terrible name.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I have run across both a Prospero and a Meow in the course of my current job. There's a lot of interesting names out there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I saw an interview with an old Chinese dude whose English name was Money, but that's actually kind of awesome.

I've got one of those at work. I work in payments/banking though.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Leonard Slutsky.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Mom Party posted:

Prometheus Butler

I'm sorry you meant to post this in an Awesome names thread.

Throw back, one I forgot about there is gaining lots of popularity: Denim.

Not as common: Blu'Jean L'Queen

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Back on my boat we had these guys, Courtney Roach, Zebulon Gay, and Lichen Kentz. Kentz, I was sure it was just a randomly bizarre name, but no, his parents were tremendous hippies. There's no excusing Zeb, he was a crazy motherfucker.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know someone who named their kid Strider. Like, from Lord of the Rings.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Not an actual name (yet) but my man is already angling for naming rights of we have a girl.

He has a hard on for Apatchalla. Like the way a good ol boy from KY might pronounce his region. No amount of reason and logic is working. I'm looking for jobs in Iceland so that he can try and pout and plead and still be legally unable to pick... That.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ArcMage posted:

Back on my boat we had these guys, Courtney Roach, Zebulon Gay, and Lichen Kentz. Kentz, I was sure it was just a randomly bizarre name, but no, his parents were tremendous hippies. There's no excusing Zeb, he was a crazy motherfucker.

I had a european history teacher in high school named Zaan Gast. Dude was a real hard rear end, but had a good sense of humor. I asked him about that backstory to his name one time, and his only reply was: "my parents were beatnicks" with a dejected look. Bonus story: When he became an assistant principal, he was very no-nonsense and would hand out suspensions (typically in-school suspension, just to be even more of a dick) like candy for little to no reason, so much so that his office was known as the "Gast chamber"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

AA is for Quitters posted:

Not an actual name (yet) but my man is already angling for naming rights of we have a girl.

He has a hard on for Apatchalla. Like the way a good ol boy from KY might pronounce his region. No amount of reason and logic is working. I'm looking for jobs in Iceland so that he can try and pout and plead and still be legally unable to pick... That.
I did not alter this image in the slightest.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I went to high school with a girl named Ebony Love and while that might sound like a career in adult entertainment was guaranteed, she was actually strangled to death and set on fire in her ex-boyfriend's front yard in the middle of the afternoon sophomore year. Dude had issues.

Also once had a coworker named Molisa. Like Melissa, but Mo'betta.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

Also once had a coworker named Molisa. Like Melissa, but Mo'betta.

I posted it early in this thread or maybe the previous, but a high school teacher told us about a former student at another school named Melissa, except it was spelled Melsia.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I went to high school with a girl named Ebony Love and while that might sound like a career in adult entertainment was guaranteed, she was actually strangled to death and set on fire in her ex-boyfriend's front yard in the middle of the afternoon sophomore year. Dude had issues.

wow fun story

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

1redflag posted:

I had a european history teacher in high school named Zaan Gast. Dude was a real hard rear end, but had a good sense of humor. I asked him about that backstory to his name one time, and his only reply was: "my parents were beatnicks" with a dejected look. Bonus story: When he became an assistant principal, he was very no-nonsense and would hand out suspensions (typically in-school suspension, just to be even more of a dick) like candy for little to no reason, so much so that his office was known as the "Gast chamber"

I bet everyone's grades in those classes were.....Gast-ly.

stubblyhead posted:

I posted it early in this thread or maybe the previous, but a high school teacher told us about a former student at another school named Melissa, except it was spelled Melsia.

The head of the Missouri chapter of the KKK is married to a Malissa.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

At work I recently saw an outgoing box addressed to one N. Dukkipati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Saw a fellow by the name of Peter Sieman on some dumb cooking show my dad was watching.