Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A bunch of people were talking about {C} tonight, and someone who plays Magic but hasn't kept up with the spoilers piped up. "Yeah, okay, those are so fake. :rolleyes:" "No dude, they showed them at the World Magic Cup." "No way, they wouldn't do something like that." "Uh... here's the YouTube video." "...That's so loving stupid." People seem more upset about this mechanic than any other in recent memory, and it doesn't even change much. A symbol is changed, and now there are some cards that are hard to cast in a three color deck. They're just confused between "generic" and "colorless" mana. I can't wait until people play with this and see that it's no big deal, because the whining has been loud and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I have to agree - this is a very, very small functional change, which happens to allow for a new mana type in the casting cost of spells. As soon as people play with it for even a second, i'm sure they'll shut up about how DIFFICULT IT IS, but the projection is absolutely insufferable.

Seriously, nothing will change for any of the cards you currently own.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Niton posted:

Seriously, nothing will change for any of the cards you currently own.

No way man, I just bought my FIFTH $1000 Modern deck and this tiny change is clearly the trigger that all smart players will be using to sell out before that format crashes!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't watch the announcement, are they making any functional changes to the rules? I guess they have to to make Wastes tap for mana?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's no functional change at all. Just a notation change alongside a new mechanic.
On another note, Diamond mana totally plays well with devoid. The purpose of Devoid was to put colorless creatures (for the colorless matters cards) at a higher density than you could otherwise have in the set. Diamond is a complementary way of doing this.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure this thread is beating the hell out of a position few, if any of us, actually hold.

Everyone in the thread I'm pretty sure understands the mana. It's just a question of whether it gets used for lasting design space or whether it just leaves baggage behind for a dumb flavor throwaway gimmick.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I didn't watch the announcement, are they making any functional changes to the rules? I guess they have to to make Wastes tap for mana?

The change, as far as I can tell, is "Basic lands without a type tap for {C}". That doesn't actually change any other currently-printed card, but I suspect we'll see a (colorshifted?) Spreading Seas variant that does that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread is beating the hell out of a position few, if any of us, actually hold.

Everyone in the thread I'm pretty sure understands the mana. It's just a question of whether it gets used for lasting design space or whether it just leaves baggage behind for a dumb flavor throwaway gimmick.

That will depend on how it's received

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

The change, as far as I can tell, is "Basic lands without a type tap for {C}". That doesn't actually change any other currently-printed card, but I suspect we'll see a (colorshifted?) Spreading Seas variant that does that.

1C Spreading Seas sounds like an insane card for Tron/Affinity.

Make it happen :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So colourless is not "mana of any colour", right? Like BoP can't tap for it, I'm guessing?

I wonder what kind of interactions or consequences you wouldn't expect because of that.

I'm thinking of stuff like: New Kozilek couldn't be cast as uncounterable with Cavern of Souls if it's one of your only two sources of colourless mana, but could be if it isn't.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

odiv posted:

So colourless is not "mana of any colour", right? Like BoP can't tap for it, I'm guessing?

They'll print a new BoP that taps for "mana not of any colour".

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cynic Jester posted:

They aren't printing 1 cmc mana dorks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent may name a color.

T: Add any one mana any color not named by your opponent or {C} to your mana pool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

They aren't printing 1 cmc mana dorks.

Yeah, they want standard to be trash and they're committed to that

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, they want standard to be trash and they're committed to that

It took so little that no one even noticed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Two odd possible interactions I thought of -
1. I think Urborg removes the ability of Wastes to tap for (C). I imagine it's not getting reprinted for standard anytime soon
2. IIRC under current EDH rules trying to add mana to your pool of a color outside your commander's identity produces colorless instead. So eg City of Brass/BoP may be able to tap for (C) in non-5c decks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
God drat, Boreal Druid is so good now. Can't wait for Snow Emrakul.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

*Plays Emrakul*

Don't waste your time, there's snow way to win now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GonSmithe posted:

It will be a cold day in hell...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

odiv posted:

Right, colorless is mana that's not one of the five colors. It can't be used to pay for colored costs, but it can be used to pay for generic costs (the numbers in mana costs)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Pretend colorless is purple mana and it's incredibly easy to understand

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

http://magiccards.info/cs/en/105.html

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Not a bird, disappointment tangible.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

4UU
Sorcery
Surge 3UU (You may cast this spell for its surge cost if you or a teammate has cast another spell this turn)

Return all nonland permanents to their owners' hands. If Crush of Tentacles's surge cost was paid, put an 8/8 blue Octopus creature token onto the battlefield.

I like the Surge thing. Hopefully we'll get something cool and pushed for Eternal, and not just "you get a one mana discount woo"

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 12, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh, hi non-land upheaval with upside.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In image

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Surge seems like a really cool mechanic and I hope at least one eternal playable card comes out of it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's a limited game ender for sure.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Coca-Cola you've done it again,

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:frogsiren: Narset live on cam! :frogsiren:

EDIT: And she's gone, got her emblem out.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 12, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The "baggage" is actually a good thing, though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

The "baggage" is actually a good thing, though.

What "baggage" is there? The clarification that Sol Ring makes colourless, and not mana of any colour?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

What "baggage" is there? The clarification that Sol Ring makes colourless, and not mana of any colour?

That's what I assumed was meant.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I had completely forgotten that OTG was going to have a teammate theme. Surge seems cool!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

In image

at first i thought this was actually upheaveal with upside but i guess putting a giant creature on an empty board is a little bit much

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, surge is a hella cool mechanic

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was wondering how they were going to push two-headed-giant while having it all still play fine for draft and Surge seems like a cool way to do it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Greece on cam! :monar:

Dr. Stab posted:

That's what I assumed was meant.

It isn't really baggage though, it's clarification. Baggage was the fact that "produces colourless" and "costs generic" were the same symbol. Unless I'm missing something.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

Greece on cam! :monar:

It isn't really baggage though, it's clarification. Baggage was the fact that "produces colourless" and "costs generic" were the same symbol. Unless I'm missing something.

Yes I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Two odd possible interactions I thought of -
1. I think Urborg removes the ability of Wastes to tap for (C). I imagine it's not getting reprinted for standard anytime soon
2. IIRC under current EDH rules trying to add mana to your pool of a color outside your commander's identity produces colorless instead. So eg City of Brass/BoP may be able to tap for (C) in non-5c decks.

Urborg doesn't remove any ability from any cards, basic or nonbasic, typed or untyped. Blood moon does it to nonbasics by turning them into Mountains, but Urborg says "in addition to its other types", which means they gain the ability to tap for {B} but don't lose anything. Also important to note, wastes have no type, so you can't give cards the ability to tap for {C} by giving them some Waste type. Wastes tap for {C} the same way Fertile Thicket taps for {G}.

• Locked thread