Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Has the show actually been good? I only watched the first season + a little of the second and it was ok but it seems like it would be basically impossible to write a 40 episode season in that amount of time without a huge drop in quality/consistency (and I read season 5 will have another 20)

I watch every week, think its one of the funniest things on tv. I'm actually amazed it still feels fresh. But it's definitely like 80% a vehicle for Neil Campbell's pun-based humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I wasn't really feeling Cudi when I actually watched the show and I hope they go for something different this time. Maybe have a season-long thing where Scott "auditions" new sidekicks on the show and it's guys from the podcast he already has amazing chemistry with out of character for once.

Although that would probably lead to at least one episode of Scott & PFT just singing the cantina song for 20 minutes while a random celebrity looks on in befuddlement, so I dunno

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

scary ghost dog posted:

scotts provocative improv style went too far

Scott just knows the racist powers of Yes And

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Riptor posted:

Maybe he was offended because ronna and beverly are boring one-note characters who aren't actually funny

lol

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beeez posted:

Is that why he's leaving, or are the two things unrelated?

Probably unrelated. Cudi has a steady acting career to go along with his music career, so I was surprised in the first place when he joined CBB and their 800 episode seasons. I'm just glad someone finally told them, or one of them, that Ronna and Beverly's schtick is awful.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

I wasn't really feeling Cudi when I actually watched the show and I hope they go for something different this time. Maybe have a season-long thing where Scott "auditions" new sidekicks on the show and it's guys from the podcast he already has amazing chemistry with out of character for once.

Although that would probably lead to at least one episode of Scott & PFT just singing the cantina song for 20 minutes while a random celebrity looks on in befuddlement, so I dunno

The new sidekick should be Benny Schwaz, singing like it's a solo bolo.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I demand Jenny Lewis. It's already established canon.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I listened to the story on NNF and it's not super detailed but it's not surprising to me that one of two black guys on an otherwise fairly white set would not find ironic racism directed towards them real funny

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Probably unrelated. Cudi has a steady acting career to go along with his music career, so I was surprised in the first place when he joined CBB and their 800 episode seasons. I'm just glad someone finally told them, or one of them, that Ronna and Beverly's schtick is awful.

Two guys pretending to be pompous Hollywood execs: hilarious, great fun

Two women pretending to be old jews: not funny, and kind of in poor taste considering how many times their people have led the world to the brink of destruction

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Tarranon posted:

Two women pretending to be old jews: not funny, and kind of in poor taste considering how many times their people have led the world to the brink of destruction

You're right, we're antisemitic. I'm sorry.

EDIT: Forgot to mention we're sexists as well.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tarranon posted:

This unironically

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
even jews are annoyed by old jewish ladies

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tarranon posted:

Pretty true except the first one is also bad & you undersold the destructive nature of the jew.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
"Oh hello" is really funny though. And the other all girl shows like Wild horses are really funny. So now that ive completely ruled out sexism and antisemitism i can only conclude that Ronna and beverly are unfunny

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Work Friend Keven posted:

Pretty true except the first one is also bad & you undersold the destructive nature of the jew.

i love hollywood handbook...

i'm going to be the bigger man and just take your other notes though

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

even jews are annoyed by old jewish ladies

Count me as a Jew who does not get the appeal of watching two old Jewish women kvetch.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I think they confuse "being able to do a pretty good impression of someone/a type" with "doing a funny character"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Everything involving Engineer Brett in the I4H christmas carol is amazing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Riptor posted:

I think they confuse "being able to do a pretty good impression of someone/a type" with "doing a funny character"

its actually a flawless impression which makes the show awful and the racism understandable

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
PFT should be Scott's new sidekick, but just turn the sidekick into a bar and have him be a fancy bartender.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

Everything involving Engineer Brett in the I4H christmas carol is amazing.

Agreed; I love when the Engineers get involved (usually Engineer Cody Cody) and this episode was no disappointment, Brett played everything great and his segments were just as good as the (not so) subtle digs at Earwolf & Scripps & Jon's self-deprecation. I wasn't a huge fan of the last Armen I4H (the Whiplash episode) but maybe that's because I haven't seen Whiplash. Should I see Whiplash?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's good, most of the criticism of it I've seen boils down to "I had way more fun than that in music school, therefore it is a bad movie". Which totally misses the point, because it's a movie about obsession, it could just as well be about a guy trying to become a master bricklayer.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 13, 2015

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Brett did an awesome job with the robot voice quoting A Christmas Carol

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Ronna and Beverly are good lived-in characters and their aggressive interview style makes for a lot of interesting and funny conversations with their guests. Underrated podcast in my pretty humble opinion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Riptor posted:

Yea it's this. They do a very good old Jewish lady impression, they just don't do anything funny with it, and if I want to listen to an old Jewish lady not be funny while complaining and being a little racist I can just call my nana and ask how she thinks Obama's doing.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Jason Mantzoukas is in Transparent Season 2 basically playing himself. It's great.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Matt Besser AMA scheduled for Jan 12th on reddit.com/r/Earwolf - come whine about musical guests directly to his face in a public setting :toot:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/3vvvou/matt_besser_ama_scheduled_for_tuesday_january/

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Illinois Smith posted:

It's good, most of the criticism of it I've seen boils down to "I had way more fun than that in music school, therefore it is a bad movie". Which totally misses the point, because it's a movie about obsession, it could just as well be about a guy trying to become a master bricklayer.

No, most of the criticism is along the lines of "this is a great, well made movie as long as you don't know anything about music or humans."

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Agreed, would have been much better if all the scenes were long lectures on music theory and everyone takes turns saying they like and respect each other.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Hang on, i can't hear you because i'm drumming so fast

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Whiplash is fantastic.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

He drummed so hard his shoes started smoking from the friction and as we see his feet light on fire all jk Simmons can do is yell the n word over and over at him while everyone in the room is crying... Not only is that 100% accurate to jazz iirc it's also how jk Simmons works so I don't see how anyone could call it inaccurate except maybe if they were a little wuss baby who isn't willing to be great.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think Wompler was funnier when she was a(n even more) thinly veiled homage to St Clair's own ridiculous adolescence. At some point she retconned it so that her character now never gets Listler's late 80s early 90s refs, and i oppose that.

Also no Handbook today, Handbook heads. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think Wompler was funnier when she was a(n even more) thinly veiled homage to St Clair's own ridiculous adolescence. At some point she retconned it so that her character now never gets Listler's late 80s early 90s refs, and i oppose that.

It seems to go back and forth depending on what it is, which is funnier imo. It's like she forgets she shouldn't remember the pop culture of her own childhood.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That is funnier, but I hadn't noticed her doing that recently. Although every episode of anything with her is so full of references to that era, it very possibly could have slipped by me. One ep of her show I really like was the Neil Casey one, where his character was similar to Listler's and could contend with her in-universe "capabilities."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

That is funnier, but I hadn't noticed her doing that recently. Although every episode of anything with her is so full of references to that era, it very possibly could have slipped by me. One ep of her show I really like was the Neil Casey one, where his character was similar to Listler's and could contend with her in-universe "capabilities."

I couldn't really get into Womp It Up! because I've grown really tired of the Womplerverse canon, but that episode was great because Neil Casey's character fit in perfectly with the universe and you really didn't need any background info for it to be enjoyable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Neil Casey should be in way more things, he's awesome and way under booked.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think he's the new Ghostbusters weirdo/ghost

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

no handbook :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth