Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I used the settings that the EE introduced that allow you to play with Insane difficulty spawns but without the changes to damage and XP calculations, and I had a much easier time than I had with vanilla IWD on Core difficulty as well. I'll probably limit myself a bit more whenever I replay it.

The only way it becomes as hard as the old IWD core difficulty is if you are playing the second hardest diff. HoW is super hard I haven't tried it much yet. Got to the hand I think with a fresh party before it finally did me in and made me acknowledge it's a new game+ mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I started making some BG1 items to play around with again, triggered by running out of arrows in the middle of nowhere, which in the end made me just make returning arrows, darts, bullets and whatever. The joys of inventory management.

Also, I'm playing with both Isra and Valerie and they're both good, if sometimes kind of plain/understated next to the BG1 cast. Favorite moment so far was when my Bhaalspawn kind of semi-accidentally led a slightly drunk Valerie on and then shot her down. :v:

Also also, Melicamp is the gift that keeps on giving. I have somehow managed to never see this bit of dialogue until now:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

Also also, Melicamp is the gift that keeps on giving. I have somehow managed to never see this bit of dialogue until now:

I had never seen that before either... genuinely laughed out loud.

Care to parley with the poulet, or should I just give you the bird?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, I'm playing with both Isra and Valerie and they're both good, if sometimes kind of plain/understated next to the BG1 cast. Favorite moment so far was when my Bhaalspawn kind of semi-accidentally led a slightly drunk Valerie on and then shot her down. :v:

Have to say, I'm surprised to keep hearing goons liking Valerie. I got next to no feedback on her on her own forum, and I got bitched at a lot for presenting a Cowled Wizard who isn't evil and thinks the organization is overall a good thing - I have a great deal of her BG2 material written and coded, and as you might expect if you're familiar with the series Valerie ends up severely at odds with Imoen.

General difficulties with modding is a significant part of why I ended up losing interest in making Valerie's BG2 component - there's some complicated coding involved in what I wanted to do with her, and the folks I'd previously leaned on to help with a lot of the complex parts of coding (even something like making a dialogue that fires when the party rests is surprisingly complicated) are either not on speaking terms with me anymore due to personal drama or have moved on from the modding community in real life.

On the subject of Melicamp, I am very sorry for writing Valerie's reaction to meeting him (or was it the dude who tells you about Melicamp, I'm at work and don't remember exactly). I just couldn't resist the pun.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, this is BG1, so her being a Cowled Wizard is really just a character background thing for now. But I don't have any trouble believing that there are good Cowled Wizards even though the organization's practices often aren't and the upper echelons are (afaik) pretty much 100% evil.

Cythereal posted:

On the subject of Melicamp, I am very sorry for writing Valerie's reaction to meeting him (or was it the dude who tells you about Melicamp, I'm at work and don't remember exactly). I just couldn't resist the pun.
It's the dude who tells you about him, and a pun is only appropriate there, so I'm glad you didn't chicken out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, pointless sperging.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 28, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What do I lose by not importing from BG2 to TOB? My iPad game bugged out at Saemon Havarian disappearing and the only way to proceed is to go straight top the underdark. It's disappointing as I wanted to 100% as much of the content as I could before moving on. Now I'm more keen to just osu tob on my PC instead, which can at least be patched or the devs can edit save games if you encounter game breaking bugs like this.

There's no way at all to get an iPad save over to PC, so I'm ok with just getting into tob as I don't think I can be bothered to do these 35-40 hours over again.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The loss from TOB that you'd get by not doing BG2 first might be some XP and definitely lots of items, both of which can be remedied via the Shadowkeeper Utility on PC.

You don't miss much by not going the Saemon Haevarian route. As far as I can recall you get: a good spear, a component for a really good two handed weapon that will eventually be surpassed not long in to TOB, the cheesiest cloak in the game and a component for a pretty good halberd that is also ultimately surpassed.The cloak is really useful but it can make things so easy the game's not fun anymore.

Again, nothing that can't be remedied via Shadowkeeper when you go to TOB on PC.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, there's one short area that's different.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you can make a shitload of gold by hoarding as much loot as you can and selling it in the sahuagin city. not that it matters since you'll be swimming in gold anyway but still

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That cloak feels like cheating, the way its implemented in the engine seems like it protects you from way more than it should.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
luckily SCS mods it out of the game. along with the shield of balduran and also it moves shti like vhailors helm to TOB

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You don't need SCS, you could just.. not use it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Suspicious posted:

You don't need SCS, you could just.. not use it.

sure, but then again i use SCS so i might just as well take them out and save myself from the temptation, hah. i kinda get why they put those items in the game, beholders can be a pain in the rear end if you don't know exactly what to do.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does the iPad version really have zero access to the dev console? That seems like a pretty stupid oversight considering how prone the BGs are to script breakage. :v:

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
SCS doesn't remove the cloak is just moves it to TOB. It's on a certain someone in Watcher's Keep.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

BadAstronaut posted:

What do I lose by not importing from BG2 to TOB? My iPad game bugged out at Saemon Havarian disappearing and the only way to proceed is to go straight top the underdark. It's disappointing as I wanted to 100% as much of the content as I could before moving on. Now I'm more keen to just osu tob on my PC instead, which can at least be patched or the devs can edit save games if you encounter game breaking bugs like this.

There's no way at all to get an iPad save over to PC, so I'm ok with just getting into tob as I don't think I can be bothered to do these 35-40 hours over again.
You'd rather lose out on all late-game content than live with skipping one area?

Or are there really that many game-breaking bugs with no way to fix them?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

To be honest TOB is weaker than the rest of SOA so it's a doubly strange decision

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

You'd rather lose out on all late-game content than live with skipping one area?

Or are there really that many game-breaking bugs with no way to fix them?

There are a shitload of game breaking bugs that you can easily fix with the console by re-spawning an npc etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Washout posted:

There are a shitload of game breaking bugs that you can easily fix with the console by re-spawning an npc etc.

Unless the EE version added a ton, there are very few game-breaking bugs in Baldur's Gate. There are many annoying bugs that can be fixed that way, but very few of them actually break the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Washout posted:

Quest breaking yes, game breaking not so much. eg. the one we're talking about (the incredibly common "Saemon doesn't spawn after Spellhold" one) means you can't go to an area, but you can still progress.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Also, if you don't take the Saemon route you won't talk with one of the chillest, most amusing npcs, who also appears again in ToB the spectator beholder

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

I know BG2 especially seems to have issues with that a lot, although I am one of the truly blessed and have never encountered anything like that that wasn't caused by mods. I just don't know how bad it is with EE on iOS, where apparently using the console is impossible.

Personally, I'd just continue playing anyway. Doesn't really make sense to me to abandon the playthrough because of this particular bug, since it doesn't stop you from progressing to the Underdark.

To answer the original question, though, you miss out on a ton of stuff by starting a new ToB game instead of importing. Like Entropy238 already said you won't have all your items and consumables; the gear you start with is actually kind of lovely. And the game sets you to 2.5 million XP, which is around 500k less than even the original SoA level cap, which you'd easily surpass finishing the playthrough.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 13, 2015

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thinking of a new SoA/ToB play through. Trying to figure out what is an OP Charname that won't be too close to an NPC. I.E.: Keldorn exists don't play any other inquisitor or arguably paladin. Edwin owns all Mages etc. I'm thinking of just being boring with an evil illusionist fighter and take single class evil chars. But looking for suggestions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Edit: too many tabs open

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Edit: too many tabs open

It nearly fit with the conversation too :v:

Hughlander posted:

Thinking of a new SoA/ToB play through. Trying to figure out what is an OP Charname that won't be too close to an NPC. I.E.: Keldorn exists don't play any other inquisitor or arguably paladin. Edwin owns all Mages etc. I'm thinking of just being boring with an evil illusionist fighter and take single class evil chars. But looking for suggestions.

Solo FMT :getin:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It nearly fit with the conversation too :v:

Solo FMT :getin:

I played too many multiplayer games. I actually want party and banter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Kensai/mage. I guess you overlap with Haer'Dalis a little bit, but that's it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Just play whatever then, everything works. Kensai/Thief is probably your best bet as there is a distinct shortage of thieves in BG2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hughlander posted:

As mentioned, Kensai/Thief is pretty drat OP and there aren't a ton of thieves. Another option is Avenger, some overlap with Jaheira but she's a front line fighter and Avengers are very much stay in the back and blast poo poo (or turn into a weird monster).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You could use that tweak pack component that allows Barbarians to dual-class to switch over to Cleric or Druid (which will give you Armor of Faith), dual-wield Flails for Defender of Easthaven, stack physical damage reductions, and get healed by giants punching you once Hardiness comes around in ToB.
Edit: That last part may or may not actually be possible, I can't remember the numbers and what all the available damage reduction sources even are.

Or just be boring as you said, go Fighter/Illusionist or Berserker/Mage and be a walking god.

Btw, on the topic of Thieves being in short supply, has anyone actually tried Hexxat yet? She seemed...pretty bad.
But not as bad as Dorn at least, and ostensibly better than most mod options.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 13, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

You could use that tweak pack component that allows Barbarians to dual-class to switch over to Cleric or Druid (which will give you Armor of Faith), dual-wield Flails for Defender of Easthaven, stack physical damage reductions, and get healed by giants punching you once Hardiness comes around in ToB.

Ooh, wait, do this, well not this but something similar. Evil Halfling Barbarian, the flail thing, and human leather armor, say hello to making every single saving throw

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Obviously he should install another component that allows Dwarves and Flings to dual-class.

Edit: Also, apparently you can only dual Barbarians with this component, not multi-class. Which would mean no stacking Hardiness and Armor of Faith for Barbarians. Although it might be possible to just Shadowkeeper it because Barbarians are coded as a Fighter kit IIRC.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 13, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How the hell do I beat the swarm of spectral guards in the throne room entrance area of Trials of the Luremaster in IWD:EE? Hardest part of the game so far right here...

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

BadAstronaut posted:

How the hell do I beat the swarm of spectral guards in the throne room entrance area of Trials of the Luremaster in IWD:EE? Hardest part of the game so far right here...
They have a ton of immunities but Turn Undead and Web should work. You can Blind and Slow them, too. They're also resistant to physical damage but not magic or elemental damage (except cold because undead).

And of course massed summons and buffs rarely fail in IWD.

Edit: Also, depending on your difficulty settings you've got a harder fight coming up right after you're done with the guards and the final battle is pretty rough as well. Have fun. :)

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 15, 2015

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

BadAstronaut posted:

This fight is pretty bullshit and the biggest part of the bullshit is that guards pop in behind you and kill all your back-line people. Keep your team surrounded by summons.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I got the urge to play baldurs gate 1 & 2 with the big world project mod, is it compatible with weidu and/or darkest day? Last time I played with weidu and enjoyed it quite a bit so hoping that they are not mutually exclusive.

Also, can I install some mods after starting a new game or how do they work? Thinking about stuff like dark side of the coast or various npc mods.

edit. Alternatively, is it easier to buy the EE versions? Can you mod those as easily? So far I've been just playing the GOG versions.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 16, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Finnish Flasher posted:

I got the urge to play baldurs gate 1 & 2 with the big world project mod, is it compatible with weidu and/or darkest day? Last time I played with weidu and enjoyed it quite a bit so hoping that they are not mutually exclusive.

Also, can I install some mods after starting a new game or how do they work? Thinking about stuff like dark side of the coast or various npc mods.

Don't use Big World Project.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
What's wrong with it? The ongoing LP makes it look really fun. I mainly want to add tons of new quests and NPCs as I've finished BG1 many times already but never with much added content so it's getting to repeat itself.

edit. Can someone tell me how moddable the EE versions are? Is it better to just buy those and install mods for them?

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Mods made for the original games won't work with EE. Hell, mods made for the original games almost don't work with the original games. If you want to install BWP you better block out an entire afternoon at least to install stuff and troubleshoot.