Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

I Love You! posted:

Considering that these things tend to win the game when you have enough of them ima say you had a shortage

What's more likely is that I didn't use my hundreds of existing vampires and storm demons effectively enough to stop you guys, because my lategame blood is not very good (and also I went a little :effort: at the end there)

We kinda hoped that the combination of Enchanted Forests, Hinnom blood sac, friendly-dominion-vampire-defense, and AC shutting everyone down would be enough to start taking over the world, but it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

I was barely saccing at the end. I think only ~6 temples survived all the horrors/pythium/gaia cult attacks and half of them were blood hunting for slaves at any given point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This happened a couple turns ago in EASucks, and it was both hilarious and terrible.

Preface: I (EA Caelum) started attacking Nuclearmonkee (T'ien Ch'i), as one should do if they want to win a game he's in. He hit back, I started losing, I finally finished researching Rain of Stones and started destroying his armies. (I should have waited until I had RoS to pick that fight, but Decrepus was dying to monkee and I tried to be a nice guy and save him.) After I started turning the tides monkee cast BoT, which sucks, and then Foul Air, which meant that any of my RoSing Eagle Kings would get diseased. My best form of offense now being (eventually) fatal to my good mages and half my territory having been lost before I could start hitting back, I had basically lost this game, but fortunately my and others' efforts had doomed monkee as well.

Then I learned that jsoh (Niefelheim) had donated Death gems to monkee to help him get those globals up; I, in full "drag everyone who wronged me down to hell with me" mode, decided I needed to hurt him next. After taking one of monkee's provinces I discovered it had an unforted lab, within Cloud Trapeze distance of jsoh's capital. I moved four more Eagle Kings to that province, loaded them up with gems, and sent them flying on over; four were scripted to RoS, and the fifth to cast Air spells; the last one was also loaded up with spare Earth gems so he could reload the RoS mages after the battle.

So, that went pretty well; one EK got scared of his own falling rocks and fled, dying, but now I've locked down jsoh's cap and-

Oh, what's this now?

What.

What.

What.

(Those red numbers, by the way, are an Eagle King and his Fravashi being simultaneously annihilated by that dark knight, who can apparently fly in storms despite gryphons not having storm-flying.)

...Well, at least Bogus is sitting on his cap now.

But yeah, this is when I decided that fate has decreed jsoh win EASucks, which has lived up to its name but not for the reasons you might expect.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I haven't played for a year due to my really lovely work life balance. Now that it's clearer I'm looking to get back in this.

Any big changes since the bat people/ twin magic mummy nations came out?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I haven't played for a year due to my really lovely work life balance. Now that it's clearer I'm looking to get back in this.

Any big changes since the bat people/ twin magic mummy nations came out?

Underwater is different, and also there is now a lovely domkill nation in EA that's also underwater.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
By underwater is different he means underwater is still bad, and is now even more difficult to invade because all of your iron weapons and armor rust into poo poo as soon as you step into the lovely ocean.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ah good ol' Illwinter. I take it their response is that it's working as intended?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
From IRC

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Holy poo poo, piss

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Next spell should be temper flesh.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Next spell should be temper flesh.

Make it Rain on those Witches

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Enjoy posted:

Make it Rain on those Witches

:vince:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
WikiHow: How to Quickly and Easily Lose 4,000 golds worth of mages as Caelum

1.) Do a deep-strike attack on a fort defended by 15PD, including harpies, and under the influence of haunted forests.

2.) Forget to put troops near your large mass of mages. Have them cast orb lightning to turn everyone around them into evil mannikins.

3.) Rout, and have all your troops die as you have no escape route.

Bonus WikiHow: How to get a sieging force annihilated

1.) Let NuclearMonkee get to late game

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
looks like im going to win that game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot so much stuff when I sent all those armies out. Like half my mages were unscripted, including a bunch ones i gave boosters and gems.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
Posting to get into the GGS for some newbie games

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
nuclearmonkee is v. scary

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
K, Finished the tut. Let's do this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm dicking around with aquatic nations in single player, LA Atlantis seems to be well regarded. What's the plan with them? Just conquer the entire ocean and then sit there researching until I can cast Burden of Time just to be a jerk?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm dicking around with aquatic nations in single player, LA Atlantis seems to be well regarded. What's the plan with them? Just conquer the entire ocean and then sit there researching until I can cast Burden of Time just to be a jerk?

Doesn't LA Atlantis start on a coast because the Atlantians were thrown out of the ocean? They're basically a hybrid nation, good on land and under the ocean.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I figured I would pick a nation a stick with it. Tried The Sun Demon Dudes. So basically make your pretender undead/blood mage, start awakened, and spam malformed ones to gobble up all those nearby independent provinces?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SweetBro posted:

I figured I would pick a nation a stick with it. Tried The Sun Demon Dudes. So basically make your pretender undead/blood mage, start awakened, and spam malformed ones to gobble up all those nearby independent provinces?

Abyssia? I'm guessing EA because you have Misbred? Aby's heavy infantry generally don't have any trouble taking independents, their problems start with F magic being fairly limited.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Abyssia? I'm guessing EA because you have Misbred? Aby's heavy infantry generally don't have any trouble taking independents, their problems start with F magic being fairly limited.

... And easily neutered by Rain.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

... And easily neutered by Rain.

This really isn't true anymore. I mean it wrecks heat but your heat aura on your troops is not terribly useful beyond the first year anyways if your opponent knows what a mage is. The spells that matter don't particularly care about Rain. It will not save you from a firestorm, flaming arrows, heat from hell, or a size 6 ball of angry fire. It will reduce your ability to spam falling fires/fireball, but doing this is probably a bad idea anyways in most circumstances. In the circumstances where it isn't a bad idea, ie the f5 boosted rhuax guy spamming them, the double fatigue hardly matters due to falling fires' low fatigue cost combined with the bonus path fatigue discount.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Doesn't LA Atlantis start on a coast because the Atlantians were thrown out of the ocean?
Yeah they left.

With LA Atlantis you basically spam frozen heart forever and Burden of Time, hope that's enough to see the game out!!!

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

How do you even know the difference between someone being mage or a priest?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Priests have menorahs, mage have any other symbol or symbols with a number next to it. Units can potentially be both.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SweetBro posted:

They can be both, but priests have the Holy path, which gives you very specific magic.

For nearly all nations (if it doesn't have a purple or dark green flag, it'll have these):

Holy (H) 1 gets you Blessing (gives sacred troops whatever blessing your god/thrones provide), plus Banishment, which is a fairly crap anti undead/demon spell that is nevertheless handy against independent provinces with undead in them.

H2 gets you Sermon of Courage (makes any troops it affects braver, very handy!), a spell I don't remember the name of that fires rays of damage at the enemy if the priest dies, and single-target Banishment spells that I don't think anyone has used in the entire history of Dominions.

H3 gets you Divine Blessing, which blesses all your sacred troops (great!) and Smite, which is like a pretty crap nuke that is sort of helpful for expansion (you normally turn your starting commander into your prophet, and it's much safer to have them cast this than hit things with a sword).

H4 (which is very rare, you normally only get it by making a Holy 3 guy your prophet) gives you Fanatacism, which is Sermon of Courage but battlefield-wide, and Word of Power, which is a paralyse thing that's not really very good.

e: You can always cast anything 'below' your level and with some bonuses for doing it, so H4 priests aren't stuck casting their stupid paralysis thing.

e2: to tell just from the recruitment page, mages and priests are both always in the commander recruitment bit at the top. The normal order is troop leaders -> priests -> mages; right click to check them for more details.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I remember my first big doubt in Dominions 4 was related to priests: I was following the instructions to make a blessing but I couldn't get it to work. The problem was the blessing was already done, because my Pretender was present (and they bless everyone in a kind of pre-battle turn). Dom4 has a lot of small exceptions and special cases like that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SweetBro posted:

Mages have magic paths besides Holy, priests have Holy magic, mage-priests have Holy and at least one non-Holy magic, for the simplest explanation. Sacred units (which include priests) need a temple to be built, mages (again, anything with a magic path besides Holy) need a lab, and mage-priests need both. Besides needing temples, sacred units cost half the upkeep and can be blessed in combat, the effects of which depend on your god's paths and can also be effected by the thrones you claim.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember my first big doubt in Dominions 4 was related to priests: I was following the instructions to make a blessing but I couldn't get it to work. The problem was the blessing was already done, because my Pretender was present (and they bless everyone in a kind of pre-battle turn). Dom4 has a lot of small exceptions and special cases like that.

Wait what

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
evocations are a good way to kill things imo.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pomp posted:

Wait what

If your pretender is in a battle all of your sacreds are auto-blessed, no need for a spell cast. It's useful.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

If your pretender is in a battle all of your sacreds are auto-blessed, no need for a spell cast. It's useful.

It also is applied every turn, for sacreds that are summoned in-battle like Ancestor Spirits and Morrigans.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Mechanics question for you all. Playing a disciples game, I am the disciple nation. Our pretender just teleported his immobile blood fountain to one of my provinces, and now appears to be stuck there. He has no options to cast a ritiual spell to teleport out. The pretender has astral pearls on him personally, and I have a lab in the province. Any ideas what is going on?

EDIT: Well drat, that did not even occur to me, thanks!

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 18, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Chairman Pow! posted:

Mechanics question for you all. Playing a disciples game, I am the disciple nation. Our pretender just teleported his immobile blood fountain to one of my provinces, and now appears to be stuck there. He has no options to cast a ritiual spell to teleport out. The pretender has astral pearls on him personally, and I have a lab in the province. Any ideas what is going on?

you have to own the province to use the lab. you have to send a commander to that province to surrender the province to him

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm starting a game on the Desura forums soon, playing as LA Atlantis. The way things are going, there's going to be Ry'leh, Gath, and the rest a bunch of assorted human nations. Ideally, my pretender should be something that, in no particular order:

- Can cast BoT, because a D4 Angakok is just not going to happen. Utterdark would be nice, but planning for a lvl 9 spell seems a bit too focused. This will gently caress over 80% of the players.
- Can make Staff of Storms, to neuter ranged nations.
- Has nice scales, because Order is a must for LA and my troops with shields cost 37 loving resources or are size 3 and cost 25 gold. My labrats are 110 gold for Research 9 sacred, so I plan to make a lot and Magic would be great, too.
- Can forge earth boots and dwarven hammers, because those are very nice. Not counting on natural E2 mages.
- Can help with expansion, indie crossbows occasionally obliterate my armies and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.
- Getting some Cold dominion going seems ridiculously important, so a Dom score of 7-8 at least.
- Doesn't have a major bless, my sacreds are meh. There was a guide on desura about using Tungaliks as heavily blessed thugs, but that seems a waste of money, given that they have 12 hp.

All of this at once is basically impossible, so here's what I come up with:

- Dormant Idol Of Sorcery with E4S4D5: I got the scales covered (Dom 8, O3 P2 C3 G1 Mis2 M2) and can make enough boosters to make E2 or S4 dudes out of a good amount of my guys.
- Awake Dagon with W4E4: Worse Scales, losing 1 Dom and 3 scales over the above, probably Magic and Growth. Surprisingly competent expander, he can deal with militia, infantry, crossbows and most of underwater stuff without problem, and with Alt 2 (quickness and stoneskin) he becomes quite a bit better.
- Dormant Father of Winter (W5A4E4, Dom 7) with a net +4 scales. To get a Staff of Storms, basically

Early expansion relies on a mixture of spear dudes (sacred are cheaper and have better stats) with a bunch of Mournfuls as arrow catchers, that seems to work.

Any advice or suggestions?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Your Forgiving Fathers can get s2 pretty easily, which means you only need earth boots to forge your way up to s4 mind-hunting. FFs will also likely be your main battle mage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm starting a game on the Desura forums soon, playing as LA Atlantis. The way things are going, there's going to be Ry'leh, Gath, and the rest a bunch of assorted human nations. Ideally, my pretender should be something that, in no particular order:

- Can cast BoT, because a D4 Angakok is just not going to happen. Utterdark would be nice, but planning for a lvl 9 spell seems a bit too focused. This will gently caress over 80% of the players.
- Can make Staff of Storms, to neuter ranged nations.
- Has nice scales, because Order is a must for LA and my troops with shields cost 37 loving resources or are size 3 and cost 25 gold. My labrats are 110 gold for Research 9 sacred, so I plan to make a lot and Magic would be great, too.
- Can forge earth boots and dwarven hammers, because those are very nice. Not counting on natural E2 mages.
- Can help with expansion, indie crossbows occasionally obliterate my armies and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.
- Getting some Cold dominion going seems ridiculously important, so a Dom score of 7-8 at least.
- Doesn't have a major bless, my sacreds are meh. There was a guide on desura about using Tungaliks as heavily blessed thugs, but that seems a waste of money, given that they have 12 hp.

All of this at once is basically impossible, so here's what I come up with:

- Dormant Idol Of Sorcery with E4S4D5: I got the scales covered (Dom 8, O3 P2 C3 G1 Mis2 M2) and can make enough boosters to make E2 or S4 dudes out of a good amount of my guys.
- Awake Dagon with W4E4: Worse Scales, losing 1 Dom and 3 scales over the above, probably Magic and Growth. Surprisingly competent expander, he can deal with militia, infantry, crossbows and most of underwater stuff without problem, and with Alt 2 (quickness and stoneskin) he becomes quite a bit better.
- Dormant Father of Winter (W5A4E4, Dom 7) with a net +4 scales. To get a Staff of Storms, basically

Early expansion relies on a mixture of spear dudes (sacred are cheaper and have better stats) with a bunch of Mournfuls as arrow catchers, that seems to work.

Any advice or suggestions?

Scales are for cowards. If you are going to BoT it up, go all in :getin:

The fact that R'lyeh is in the game is a positive for you. You should first negotiate a couple ocean provinces to make forgiving dads with and solicit him for BoT gems, which he will probably give you because R'lyeh. Then after he does this, you can destroy him and take his things with aforementioned forgiving dads at some future date.

This god here is my hellfucker of choice that I have saved.

Though I suppose you could go for a watered down one something like this if you wanted. Or you can take some boring scales build with a possible bless for asstoots, which is so boring as to not be worthy of having one saved.

The air pick on the god is unnecessary imo. Your Angakok random air and you can make matrices for them to cast things like storm or arrow fend in communion. The hammers and such are also unnecessary since by the time you can make them their utility will be limited. You aren't going to be slamming out 3 gem quills or anything. In order to do non bless intentionally poor Atlantis without an awake god, you need to be perfect at microing to fight cav and xbows so probably practice that. I use Ice Warriors and a few Mournful when I am resource locked. Indies have to be shooting at a decoy, not the guys coming to stab them or they will wreck you. Also, summer year one really blows since your iceprot will make your prot go down, though once your dom spreads it is just a positive. You will be poorer and weaker than Atlantis is normally early on so you will need to bluff strength and get people to not invade you. The lack of funds means you should also exploit any and all decent indie mages that you find. If it is a decent mage that doesn't require a fort to make, you should be exploiting the hell out of it because you will have trouble just buying the two water forts for forgiving dads.

My main bro god pick is all about getting thau5 and dropping bot around the end of year two, which always makes the world a very happy and fun place. If anyone gets wind of your plans, they will probably pool pearls to dispel and will probably scramble to do this so don't expect it to stay up permanently. The god can also vengeful waters which is right along the same research priority. My research plans would be Thau5 first, meaning you better be good at using thau spells for all they are worth. Curse of the desert, Terror, and leeching darkness along with the various S options are all good and usable. People underestimate terror/leeching darkness spam and vs a large pile of xbows it will be the only thing between you and death. After thau5, you will want to grab conj5 (water ele spam) and const4+evo5 (matrices and evo things including storm, falling frost, and the coveted shadow blast. Shadow blast owns in LA with regular 10MR human armies) and ench6 (skelespam, grip of winter + rigor mortis). Then it's const6+thau7 and vengeful waters usually. After you've got a stable BoT and Vengeful Waters down you are generally rather safe and universally reviled, which means you have won in spirit even if you don't win the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ermor game is constantly pushing the borders of human discovery, for instance did you know that a wraith lord cannot be lead by a commander with only undead leader? wraith lord despite being undead requires a regular leader, unlike wights or other brain having undeads. extremely hosed up but true

• Locked thread