Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of famous people buried in the Seattle area, Bruce Lee and his son are buried in North Capital Hill at Lake View Cemetery (next to volunteer park). It's a neat site for some Seattle history to pay tribute to another Seattle legend.

Where is Kurt buried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The cop handled that pretty well. The incredulous tone in his voice at the end of the video was awesome.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

effectual posted:

Where is Kurt buried?

He doesn't have a gravesite. He was cremated, and it's believed his daughter scattered his ashes in a creek somewhere in Olympia. There's a Kurt Cobain memorial park in Aberdeen, though.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I moved to Renton a few years ago. First I find out Jimi Hendrix is from Renton (and buried one block over from me), and just a couple days ago, Caro.

Crazy. Did anyone else know that?

For anyone who doesn't know, the short version is Caro's a civvie goon who bought himself some gear and flew to Libya to help fight in the revolution, and started doing actual no-poo poo medical field work and fighting on the front lines, and last we know was presumably taken prisoner by I forget who.

Sadly, the best info on Caro's fate is that he died in a Syrian prison.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Davethulhu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SqFPNTBnv8

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Davethulhu posted:

Where is any of that info verifiable though? Or is it just forum posts from someone who claims to know him?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Moses got info from a person who knew a guy who said he saw him sick and near death.

That doesn't really sound good but Brown Moses has been pretty spot on before.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

seiferguy posted:

He doesn't have a gravesite. He was cremated, and it's believed his daughter scattered his ashes in a creek somewhere in Olympia. There's a Kurt Cobain memorial park in Aberdeen, though.

There is also Viretta Park off Lake Washington Blvd where hella people write stuff/light candles on park benches while smoking some bowls. I swear the city has to paint the benches at least 3 times a year.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's entirely reasonable to be skeptical as to whether or not the alleged source had actually seen Caro in a Syrian prison or was even a reliable source of information. It's just posts on the internet, after all. That said, absent any other explanation or narrative, I'm okay with accepting that as what likely happened.

Short of him showing up somewhere and proving he actually wasn't killed, I don't think there will ever be any way to verify Caro's fate, which is truly unfortunate for his family.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Yeah. Considering there's plenty of photo and video evidence of him in various combat zones, I don't find it very unlikely that he got his civilian rear end captured and probably tortured to death in a Syrian prison. :( Poor crazy sonofabitch

Again, it's a game of hearsay telephone 3x removed from the source, but it's probably as good an explanation as any.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I assumed he was going to get blown up or kidnapped in Libya and hadn't heard he made it home. Just the confidence boost needed for a Syria excursion

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I found out recently I attended high school with a convicted terrorist. Can't say I knew him though, likely he was a senior when I was a freshman.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Weird. My wife went to Cascade, class of 2002.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
gently caress soccer, this is where the real Seattle/Portland feud is

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm so freaking sick of king5.com and other horrible local news websites. They're just bloated messes of webpages. Is there any Seattle area website with local news that's worth a drat?

For weather forecasts at least I've found the national weather service is pretty good and has nice 7 day forecasts that all the news stations just regurgitate: http://forecast.weather.gov/ Cliff Mass' blog is good for interesting local weather anecdotes but not good for forecasts.

I wish there was a site that just had the top 5-10 most important local news stories each day and doesn't bombard you with advertisements.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
weather has been fun the passed couple days!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Has anybody attempted to us Highway 30 to get around the i5 northbound blockage near woodland? I'm flying into pdx tonight and it'd be nice to get home

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hixson posted:

Has anybody attempted to us Highway 30 to get around the i5 northbound blockage near woodland? I'm flying into pdx tonight and it'd be nice to get home
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/washington/2015/12/09/landslide-covers-interstate-5-near-woodland-road-closed/77071950/

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah I know 30 is open. Just curious if anybody has been that way and how lovely the drive is

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hixson posted:

Yeah I know 30 is open. Just curious if anybody has been that way and how lovely the drive is
If you know that it's open, and that there have been landslides on both 30 and I5, what more do you need?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

NWS confirms a tornado went through Battle Ground today. Yikes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reason posted:

Yeah, I love putting my backyard back together every morning :dance:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

anthonypants posted:

If you know that it's open, and that there have been landslides on both 30 and I5, what more do you need?

Hixson posted:

Just curious if anybody has been that way and how lovely the drive is

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good lord I better buy my house on a hilltop.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

I haven't personally but a number of coworkers have been down from Seattle. One is literally right this second trying to drive back up, but he took 26 out to 101 to get around. Best thing to do is just check traffic on Google Maps/tripcheck.

I imagine more people are trying to bypass I-5 by taking 30 up to Longview than taking 26 out to the coast and then up so it might end up being a wash either way.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Hixson posted:

It is bad. Avoid it if you can.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Reason posted:

really impressive lightning show today driving south from Eugene, lightning hit the Jeremiah quarry on sears rd like whoah, I don't think any goats were harmed

I woke up this morning thinking the trains were out of hand because they kept linking for like 20-30 seconds, but it was thunder :krad:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

LingcodKilla posted:

462 feet above sea level for me. If my neighborhood floods, the entire county is beyond hosed. And I think we are just far enough from Rainier to not get hit directly by any explosive eruptions (would have a pretty good view of it though!).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

What's the best site to check road conditions? Thinking about heading up to Portland from Eugene today.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Google maps will give you real time travel estimates and even re-route you if necessary.

Waze is nice if you're already on the road, it will alert you to speed traps as reported by other drivers.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tripcheck.org is also very useful if you need to know what road conditions the state is aware of/dealing with or want to look at road cameras (i.e. check snow conditions if you've got to cross a pass or something)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

really impressive lightning show today driving south from Eugene, lightning hit the Jeremiah quarry on sears rd like whoah, I don't think any goats were harmed

I woke up this morning thinking the trains were out of hand because they kept linking for like 20-30 seconds, but it was thunder :krad:

We had a decent thunderstorm in Oly and my 2 year old woke up in the middle of the night going "light on light on" when it would flash

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Then you can ride your house into the lake like a toboggan when the next landslide hits.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

WayAbvPar posted:

NWS confirms a tornado went through Battle Ground today. Yikes.

I saw pictures of the damage...the whole area looks like a warzone.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/tacoma/2014/12/09/transportation-gas-tax-pay-by-mile/20134161/

quote:

SEATTLE -- The Washington State Transportation Commission is expected to approve a pilot project designed to charge drivers for every mile they travel on public roads.

A Road Usage Charge would eventually replace the gas tax in Washington State, which has brought in less revenue with more hybrid and electric vehicles using less gas. A GPS device would track miles driven and charge accordingly. Testing would begin in 2016.

Every time I heard of this I thought it was a joke. How the hell is it going to be efficient to produce and support millions of gps devices and somehow be cheaper than a gas tax?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It'll be efficient as hell for whoever gets the contract.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
GPS is pretty cheap. Plus there's an easier way to do it - put RFID tags in the cars, have a sensor on the side of the road (like every mile, or whatever), you can then see which car is where and charge accordingly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like this is ripe for abuse unless you also put cameras all over the place to match up plates and vehicles to the signal.

Not sure I like the idea of tracking everyone's movement.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Unbelievably stupid idea. Just up the gas tax and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

But its disruptive future technology and that is always better for our communities! And this Big Data certainly won't be used to justify short-changing road improvements to impoverished communities to further the cycle of poverty! And of course it is more efficient to hire a single contractor to run this mechanism for a nominal percentage fee! And it certainly won't be another regressive taxing structure in this Very Progressive state!

I mean, it might charge me for my Tesla but its better than charging for the income that allows me to own a Tesla.

• Locked thread