Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only issue is, at that point, nobody living knows that they are siblings. Unless like... Obi-Wan appears to Leia as a Force ghost to educate her on it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That's why my own personal alternate rpg timeline was taken and modified from the alternate ending of the old PS2 Revenge of the Sith game. After beating Obi Wan at the lava planet, a healthy and ambitious newly minted Darth Vader bides his time and eventually kills and replaces Palpatine as Emperor. He raises his own kids who grow up to idolize him, in the case of Luke, and despise him, in the case of Leia, who seeks out allies and helps form a rebel alliance. This sets up the clash between Leia, Jedi knight trained by the exile Yoda and the Rebel alliance against the Empire ruled by Darth Vader and his apprentice Luke.

Alternatively, both Children become his apprentice and it leaves open the whole business of toppling the Empire to whoever the players create.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 12, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Krysmphoenix posted:

You son of a bitch. We dropped one of the halves through reckless use of Move during the Shrine of the Silver Monkey Lizard. The room was so terrifying that we had to make a fear check the moment we stepped in, and I got 3 failures on my roll.

My idea was just the medallions, blame Jivjov for the fear checks, blame yourself for the lovely rolls :v:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is the EU roll20 game still on?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's not really developed any in the last couple days... RambaRal isn't an EU goon but he sent me a PM asking about it and maybe volunteering to run us through a test session? Any thoughts on that from other EUs?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So is there any other material that lightsaber proof other than Cortosis? At least something hard enough that the party doesn't immediately think "well we failed the skill check, better to just use the Lightsaber on it now"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Phrik is another lightsaber resistant material- I'm not sure where it originally appeared, but Zayne in the KOTOR comics used a pair of bracers made of it to parry lightsaber hits, and apparently it got referenced in Clone Wars?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

unseenlibrarian posted:

Phrik is another lightsaber resistant material- I'm not sure where it originally appeared, but Zayne in the KOTOR comics used a pair of bracers made of it to parry lightsaber hits, and apparently it got referenced in Clone Wars?

It is from the first Dark Forces game. Anyway, just make your players realize it is going to take a very long time to cut through a bulkhead. Time they may not have if they don't want to get caught.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is there any other material that lightsaber proof other than Cortosis? At least something hard enough that the party doesn't immediately think "well we failed the skill check, better to just use the Lightsaber on it now"

Wait four days :P .

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ramba Ral posted:

It is from the first Dark Forces game. Anyway, just make your players realize it is going to take a very long time to cut through a bulkhead. Time they may not have if they don't want to get caught.

Yeah, it was taking ages for Qui-Gon to cut into that heavily armored door to the bridge in Phantom Menace, plenty of time for the bad guys to send reinforcements and drive them off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, it was taking ages for Qui-Gon to cut into that heavily armored door to the bridge in Phantom Menace, plenty of time for the bad guys to send reinforcements and drive them off.

Isn't that what basically happened in the movie?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FishFood posted:

It's the details that are lovely: Anakin has bad dreams and rejects everything he's ever stood for to save his wife from a hypothetical threat? What about he wants more power to fight the war he's in, or he starts to think the ends justify the means?

I think that those solutions are less representative of Yoda's warnings and could more easily be jedi-like qualities. In my mind at least sith vs jedi is less evil vs good and more passion vs control. Fear and paranoia are better cracks in the jedi sense of control and fear leads to anger blah blah blah

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

signalnoise posted:

I think that those solutions are less representative of Yoda's warnings and could more easily be jedi-like qualities. In my mind at least sith vs jedi is less evil vs good and more passion vs control. Fear and paranoia are better cracks in the jedi sense of control and fear leads to anger blah blah blah

That's true, but only of the Jedi portrayed in the prequels. But if you scrap those movies and start over from scratch, I believe my version is more compelling and fits the OT Jedi better, not to mention making the Anakin>Darth Vader transition actually believable. I guess I just prefer my Jedi as guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, rather than stupid emotionless crazy boring superhero monks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean, the whole "emotionless" thing is supposed to be the whole "remove yourself from want" stuff of Buddhist tradition, right? Like, I always took that aspect of the prequel Jedi as coming from Buddhism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

That's true, but only of the Jedi portrayed in the prequels. But if you scrap those movies and start over from scratch, I believe my version is more compelling and fits the OT Jedi better, not to mention making the Anakin>Darth Vader transition actually believable. I guess I just prefer my Jedi as guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, rather than stupid emotionless crazy boring superhero monks.

Your "more compelling version" misses one point of the movies, which is that armed guardians of peace and justice operating independently are inherently problematic. So yes, if you scrap the things the creator of the Jedi thought they were, it is probably better for your headcanon. Luckily, with RPGs, you totally can run your game however you and your players want it to go. I think some of the Old Republic people behind the video games imagine Jedi the same way you do (sort of itinerant judges and problem-solvers).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TOR Jedi aren't independent though :confused: Jedi answer to the Jedi council and the council are much more responsive to Senatorial requests than many modern government agencies are to their respective legislative bodies( *cough* NSA *cough*).

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hell, that wasn't even a particularly heavily armoured door, either.

Until they closed the blast doors. Which were not cortosis, but still stopped the lightsaber pretty drat good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LLSix posted:

TOR Jedi aren't independent though :confused: Jedi answer to the Jedi council and the council are much more responsive to Senatorial requests than many modern government agencies are to their respective legislative bodies( *cough* NSA *cough*).

I'm including SW:TOR as well as KOTOR 1 and 2. You go around and do stuff with a lot of freedom, inserting yourself into other people's problems even when the law is not at issue, can be pretty evil without much oversight, and are authorized to use lethal force whenever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Kotor series is a lousy treatment of Jedi/Sith/The Force imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The ultimate issue is that the prequel treatment of the Jedi makes them out to be distant, boring, clueless, and kinda dicks, and it's hard to care about "The Tragic Fall of the Jedi Knights and the Rise of Darth Vader" when that's the case.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Kai Tave posted:

The ultimate issue is that the prequel treatment of the Jedi makes them out to be distant, boring, clueless, and kinda dicks, and it's hard to care about "The Tragic Fall of the Jedi Knights and the Rise of Darth Vader" when that's the case.

This is my point, only better and more succinct.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Well if the argument is that the prequels were poorly written I definitely agree, but I don't think they're irreconcilable is all. If nothing else you could say that the fall of the jedi knights gave the remaining jedi something to stand for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

Well if the argument is that the prequels were poorly written I definitely agree, but I don't think they're irreconcilable is all. If nothing else you could say that the fall of the jedi knights gave the remaining jedi something to stand for.

It's a combo of bad scriptwriting and bad story planning imo. If you want to show that the Jedi Order is growing increasingly distant and corrupt that's cool but if there's no one to sympathize with or show the Jedi for what they were and what they could be then it doesn't make a compelling tragedy. Even the prequels version of Obi-Wan couldn't really carry that off.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

It's a combo of bad scriptwriting and bad story planning imo. If you want to show that the Jedi Order is growing increasingly distant and corrupt that's cool but if there's no one to sympathize with or show the Jedi for what they were and what they could be then it doesn't make a compelling tragedy. Even the prequels version of Obi-Wan couldn't really carry that off.

We already know what the Jedi could be -- we've seen OT Yoda and Obi-Wan.

I didn't find it hard to care about Anakin and Obi-Wan. Knowing that they were all flawed and doomed from the OT set my expectations to a place where the PT is fine, and I appreciated the more shaded take on the Jedi.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

I didn't find it hard to care about Anakin and Obi-Wan. Knowing that they were all flawed and doomed from the OT set my expectations to a place where the PT is fine, and I appreciated the more shaded take on the Jedi.

I was rooting for Sheevy to murder everyone and win because he was the most relate-able character and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I appreciated him openly trolling anakin about him being a sith and anakin still not getting it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

I agree, the prequels did a good job of making me want to watch other, better Star Wars movies instead.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If there is one thing I've learned reading all the recent comics and watching The Clone Wars and stuff, its that Sheev Palpatine loving loves his job. Dude just is totally comfortable with being an evil rear end in a top hat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Having rewatched the prequels lately, Hayden Christensen's delivery makes my skin crawl, but not as intended. It's like an alien mimicking human speech, or like that trick David Lynch did in Twin Peaks where he had the cast say their dialogue phonetically backwards and then played it forward. He's not this bad in anything else he's been in, so I'm blaming the direction. But it made it seem like the other Jedi (and anyone else who interacted with him) were oblivious for not seeing what was going on.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If there is one thing I've learned reading all the recent comics and watching The Clone Wars and stuff, its that Sheev Palpatine loving loves his job. Dude just is totally comfortable with being an evil rear end in a top hat.

Palpatine is probably one of the few things to come out of the prequels unscathed and part of the reason is how fun he is having by hamming it up.

How can you not love the guy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The fact that Palpatine seems to love his job and is simply outsmarting the Jedi at every turn also makes it harder to see the whole situation as an epic tragedy.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Having rewatched the prequels this week I can only assume Padme fell in love with Anakin due to him subconsciously manipulating her with the Force because he starts Episode 2 as a whiny, creepy, tantrum throwing brat/stalker but then its okay suddenly she loves him because ?????

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Having rewatched the prequels this week I can only assume Padme fell in love with Anakin due to him subconsciously manipulating her with the Force because he starts Episode 2 as a whiny, creepy, tantrum throwing brat/stalker but then its okay suddenly she loves him because ?????

Also remember that Padme first met Anakin when he was like 10 or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Also remember that Padme first met Anakin when he was like 10 or something.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 15, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So with a very long hiatus on the horizon I've been coming up with a campaign for my little brother. My brothers character is basically Space Indiana Jones, always on the hunt for ancient force relics. So far his travels have lead him to Isis where my idea is that he'll come across a dark side cult (with vast power over the local government ) with obligatory evil scheme. I have some ideas for villains and encounters but the main area I'm having trouble coming up with is a good plot hook. So far the only two possibilities I can come up with is that he either A) comes across acts committed by the cult and he has to put the pieces together or B) he rescues someone on the run from said cult. Do you guys think these are decent hooks to use. As a fairly new GM I'm all ears for advice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rip off Temple of Doom? :v:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Rip off Temple of Doom? :v:

I just realized that's the one Indiana Jones film I've never watched all the way through. I had to google it and unsurprisingly the plot is exactly what I had in mind :v: . Thanks for that.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

She's a child sex predator who liked him when he was 9, Aldereen knew but they DIDN'T CARE, Emperor Palpatine did nothing wrong

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Halloween Jack posted:

But it made it seem like the other Jedi (and anyone else who interacted with him) were oblivious for not seeing what was going on.

"So, Anakin, we've uh... been noticing you've been wearing a lot of black leather tunics these days, and you haven't cut your hair in like a year. Everything going alright at home?"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

She's a child sex predator who liked him when he was 9, Aldereen knew but they DIDN'T CARE, Emperor Palpatine did nothing wrong

I thought the beginning of Clone Wars is when she really "fell in love" with him, at least that was probably the intention.The acting and script doesn't really pull through with that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Logistics questions for y'all that Google ain't helping with:

Would a Corvette-size ship (like, say, a Vigil) be able to land on a planet's surface? And with a crew of 200, what would be the pertinent NPCs be on board that an elite away team might regularly interact with during a game session (Captain, Requisition Officer, cook, etc)? Just trying to plan for some eventual PC plans that will come up in game. Also, is it wrong to think that an Imperial scout ship would be sent out with a few Lambda shuttles, even if it technically doesn't have a landing bay?