Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mastajake posted:

Could I get a general recipe for this? It sounds amazing and I have quite a few leftovers (wife is vegetarian).

I'll try to get you the actual recipe. I don't know even the general recipe but I believe it is from the Oregonian newspaper from a while back. If I can't find it I'll get her to write down a general recipe for us both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Sorry if I missed it but what was your moms way? 400 to what temp?

Their traeger has a "smoke" setting which turns out to just put out lots of blue smoke at like 150ish. So 400 for 20 mins, then I turned it down to smoke until it came up to temp. It ended up getting above 140 within about 3 hours, then took on a lot of smoke. The extra smoke made a big difference. I wish I had a pic of the two--in the future I will probably just bring it up to done at 325 like a normal person, then leave it on smoke for a couple of hours, rest and carve. Sounds way less risky, but also she's apparently done this for years to no ill effect.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Non-turkey question:

Some fam wanted to take a break from turkey and get these hickory-smoked ribs from a local joint tonight. What is the difference between the pink pork sections and the redder, candy-like texture you see towards the end? Is it a difference in the original meat, more collagen breakdown, an interaction of the rub? I get the same effect on my pork butts I smoke with the memphis dust, and the same redder parts are the most delicious imo. Sorry for the poo poo pic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The meat at the bone cooks a lot slower.

Swedish Metal
Jun 17, 2003

The only one that can do what I do is me. Lot of people had to die for me to be me. You wanna be me?

coronaball posted:

This is one of the top things you can make on your smoker and everyone should do it once we're done with all this turkey nonsense.

I took your advice:

About 8.5 hours total, all done on the WSM, this cold and rainy day.

Swedish Metal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 29, 2015

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Swedish Metal posted:

I took your advice:

About 8.5 hours total, all done on the WSM, this cold and rainy day.

That looks pretty good. I subbed in 1 red bell pepper and, after I prepped the sandwiches I wrapped em in foil and put them in the oven for 3-4 minutes to get the bread toasty and the cheese melted. Both were good substitutions.

Who's got the good chili recipe? The one on amazingribs seems uninspiring to me. I am not one of these bean/no bean OCD fucks, I'll try anything.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mastajake posted:

Could I get a general recipe for this? It sounds amazing and I have quite a few leftovers (wife is vegetarian).

Sorry for being late and you probably over eating turkey sandwiches, but I found online versions of the recipes she uses.

http://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/southwestern-turkey-soup-linda-faus

And the broth

http://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/lindas-post-thanksgiving-turkey-broth

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Did my first smoke on Saturday, 2.5kg pork shoulder (albeit the UK kind). Got the meat sticky with olive oil and bbq sauce mix, then added a cajun rub:

Setup with arduino and temp tracking software (bbq is falling apart as you can see, don't worry I stuck a bucket under it to catch that ash)

Using briquettes (shameful)

One hour in:

Final product, sorry no picks of the shreds but it was pretty good, even though I might have left it to cool for a little too long for its size (about an hour)

The readout of the software, that dip is where I unwrapped the aluminium foil around it mid cook cause it was going a little too fast

Pretty happy with the results, plenty of leftovers and enough for six people easily. I wrote that 'meater' software myself (name shamelessly stolen). It's not really completed but it does the job, if anyone wants the source code (for processing) just pm me.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So I was all ready to buy a Kamado Joe but since i've never done any smoking before I'm wondering if I should spend that much money and if I should go for something a bit less like this

http://www.londonbarbecueschool.co.uk/barbecue-shop/barbecues/proq-excel-20-elite-series-detail.html

It looks pretty similar to a webber bullit, has anyone had any experience with it? Would this be good for a beginner with a small garden?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

by.a.teammate posted:

So I was all ready to buy a Kamado Joe but since i've never done any smoking before I'm wondering if I should spend that much money and if I should go for something a bit less like this

http://www.londonbarbecueschool.co.uk/barbecue-shop/barbecues/proq-excel-20-elite-series-detail.html

It looks pretty similar to a webber bullit, has anyone had any experience with it? Would this be good for a beginner with a small garden?

I got a Chargriller Akorn, which is also a kamado style cooker, just made of double wall insulated steel instead of ceramic. It's also a third the price of the Kamado Joe. I've been super pleased with it. Smoked a butt this weekend, and was aiming for 250. It maintained the temp within 5 degrees either way for 4 hours before I opened it to wrap the butt (shut up, it was 7 pounds and dinner was 2 hours away, I didn't have time to wait out the stall).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got a Chargriller Akorn, which is also a kamado style cooker, just made of double wall insulated steel instead of ceramic. It's also a third the price of the Kamado Joe. I've been super pleased with it. Smoked a butt this weekend, and was aiming for 250. It maintained the temp within 5 degrees either way for 4 hours before I opened it to wrap the butt (shut up, it was 7 pounds and dinner was 2 hours away, I didn't have time to wait out the stall).
I thought this said Chargriller Akon, which would have been the weirdest hip-hop endorsement deal ever (even if he was born in St. Louis)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I'm going to throw a pork tenderloin on my smoker. I've grilled/broiled them a lot and it was always done at a pretty high temperature. Do they respond better to oven temps in the smoker or should I go with a lower and slower temp like 225F?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They are far too lean to be smoked low and slow. Hot and fast is what you want.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah and you need to watch that temp like a hawk. I have probably hosed up pork tenderloins more than any other cut of meat. You have to get those things off the heat at just precisely the right moment or they're either raw or shoe-leather tough.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Hmmm I can't find that Kooker you mentioned, i can see deals for a webber though, this a good deal or is it just useless extras? (this is UK by the way)

https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-shop/Weber-Smokey-Mountain-37cm-Promo.html#SID=12

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Good advice. I was regretting not searing it first after I put it on but it turned out to be one of the best tenderloins I've had. Threw a dry rub on and smoked at 350F until 145F internal, great for a weeknight smoke.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
My dad's Christmas party is this Saturday and he's asked me to make the pepper stout beef.... 23 pounds of it. I bought two gigantic beef roasts from Sams's Club (11.whatever pounds each). The problem is that I have work Friday, I'm not sure how I'm going to get it done. Currently, my plan is to throw them both on the smoker immediately when I get home from work until they hit 140-160 (depending on how long it takes to get there). Cut them into quarters toss all the beer/peppers/onions/whatever into the chafing dish and pop it in the oven.

I'll have to wake up and check every few hours overnight I suppose, unless someone thinks of a better plan?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
My fiance is having coworkers over for a Christmas party this weekend and suggested I make some sort of meat. I might have to give pepper stout beef a try as well.

What kind of wood would pair well with that?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I use cherry, but I use cherry on most everything except fish.

I also recommend you both sub in a red bell pepper for one of the green and omit one of the jalepenos since you're cooking for a crowd.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McSpankWich posted:

I'll have to wake up and check every few hours overnight I suppose, unless someone thinks of a better plan?
Meat thermometer with an alarm?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is what I use. Has alarms for high and low smoker temps as well as meat temp. I've only used it a handful of times but it works as advertised.

http://smile.amazon.com/ET733-Wireless-Thermometer-Newest-Handler/dp/B00GM0RXQQ

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

xergm posted:

My fiance is having coworkers over for a Christmas party this weekend and suggested I make some sort of meat. I might have to give pepper stout beef a try as well.

What kind of wood would pair well with that?

I use crushed Jack Daniels Barrels. I've found them to be perfect for this. Fruit woods may be too overwhelming flavor wise for this.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I just made Pepper Stout Beef this past weekend as a trial run before I make it for a work party next week Friday. I am glad I did too because I found out that I used too much black pepper. I had put a bunch of whole peppercorns and some course sea salt into my spice (coffee) grinder and then put it on the meat like I do my rub. Way too much. Just going to use the hand mills next time.

I used a 3.5lb Chuck Roast from Meijer. Smoked with Pecan (will use something heavier next time) for a couple hours then moved to oven to finish with the veggies & beer.

I did use Red & Orange Peppers instead of Green because I like the taste more. I also used Anaheim peppers in place of the Jalepenos but will be leaving them out when I make it for work.

I forgot to take a post shred pic.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it possible to set up a gas grill like this to smoke:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grill-King-5-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-Black/23148798

I finally have some real outdoor space (rooftop patio) and I have this grill from years ago available to me. It says the lid is porcelain coated so maybe it can hold heat better than some.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it possible to set up a gas grill like this to smoke:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grill-King-5-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-Black/23148798

I finally have some real outdoor space (rooftop patio) and I have this grill from years ago available to me. It says the lid is porcelain coated so maybe it can hold heat better than some.

Only light the burner farthest from what you want to smoke to avoid direct and overwhelming heat (if you are somehow able to cover burners with something that will emanate some heat, you can use closer burners as well, but either way heat control is gonna be a bitch. Seal the opening on that far end as well to force the smoke to traverse the length of the grill and hopefully contact the food. Wrap your wood, be it chips or chunk, in several layers of aluminum foil and poke a few holes in one side of the aluminum "brick". Place this on the burner, or near enough to get it hot enough to smolder, and carefully manage the heat.

It won't work especially well and will leak like a sieve, but you can get ~some~ smoke into your food in this way. Just be careful about managing heat and Keep the lid shut at all costs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Crazyeyes posted:

Only light the burner farthest from what you want to smoke to avoid direct and overwhelming heat (if you are somehow able to cover burners with something that will emanate some heat, you can use closer burners as well, but either way heat control is gonna be a bitch. Seal the opening on that far end as well to force the smoke to traverse the length of the grill and hopefully contact the food. Wrap your wood, be it chips or chunk, in several layers of aluminum foil and poke a few holes in one side of the aluminum "brick". Place this on the burner, or near enough to get it hot enough to smolder, and carefully manage the heat.

It won't work especially well and will leak like a sieve, but you can get ~some~ smoke into your food in this way. Just be careful about managing heat and Keep the lid shut at all costs.
I'd probably spend a few bucks on (UNGLAZED!) quarry tile from The Home Depot and use that on top of the grate to direct the heat around, and put the meat on a collapsible grill grate on top of the tile so it doesn't directly touch the hot ceramic. Depending on how the temps work out, you might be able to smolder the chips directly on the tile without getting them too close to the burner.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2015

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I'm a moron and hosed it up. I completely forgot to cover it before putting it in the oven, and a majority of the liquid completely evaporated overnight. The beef is still delicious the right consistency, but it's dry as poo poo.

Quick goons, to action! I need a way to salvage this before my dad's party. My plan right now is to just heat up some water and crush up a bunch of bullion cubes to make a lovely beef broth and dump it in. I have a feeling that won't work so well, though, as the salt level is just right. Adding the cubes might make it too salty. I thought about dumping more beer in, but without cooking it, it would remain pretty jarring to eat. How can I impart delicious beef flavor into water to moisten the beef, without adding or subtracting any flavor that's already there?

fedit: Do they sell saltless beef broth at the store?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They sell salt free broth yes. Add gelatin to it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If I get an electric smoker is it just the ability to do high temp smokes and the smoke ring that I lose?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jose posted:

If I get an electric smoker is it just the ability to do high temp smokes and the smoke ring that I lose?

You also lose the excuse to sit around outside and drink beer all day. That's mostly it though. I have a WSM and MB40 electric that both see regular use. The prettier the weather outside, the more likely I am to use the WSM.

It is immensely satisfying sometimes to be able to go "Sorry honey, can't go run errands today, I've gotta watch the fire. Do you want brisket tonight or not?" (she always wants brisket)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool. The weather is really poo poo here so not needing to worry at all about temperatures without going all out for some BGE style smoker would be nice

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Forgot to take pics, but it turned out pretty well. I did something similar to Trastion and picked up a variety of bells instead of just green ones. I ended up with a mixture of apple and hickory for smoking, since it was what the grocery store had on hand

I lowered the amount of jalapenos for the recipe, but otherwise tried to keep a little heat in. They're all teachers at a dual language school, so most of them are used to a little kick, and even the ones who weren't huge on spicy food said it was just the right amount of heat.

We ended up with nowhere near the amount of guests we expected, so now I have a lot of delicious beef as leftovers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For a BGE XL, what are the awesome accessories I need? I'm really confused people talking about "don't get a plate setter, get a woo and adjustable rig". I'm assuming they mean get a plate setter and set it down in the woo ring's lower level? How is moving the 22.5" grill up to the felt line an improvement? (I don't have the XL yet, I'll get it when I get back after the holiday).

I basically will want to be able to do two modes--high heat for searing and paella and low/slow for BBQ. I don't think I'll be cooking pizza any time soon since I have an oven steel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hed posted:

How is moving the 22.5" grill up to the felt line an improvement?

It can be a bit of a pain to have to reach down into the egg to flip or lift stuff out.

I like the setter and I like the cast iron grates. Are you going wings or are you going custom table?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I was going to build a custom table for the XL, I may get it done quickly assuming the weather doesn't turn to total poo poo by the end of the month.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're building a custom table you'll probably want a stone paver or something like that that is heat resistant and the little stand that elevates the egg a few inches off of the ground. They used to come with feet, they stand is cheap though and solid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hed posted:

For a BGE XL, what are the awesome accessories I need? I'm really confused people talking about "don't get a plate setter, get a woo and adjustable rig". I'm assuming they mean get a plate setter and set it down in the woo ring's lower level? How is moving the 22.5" grill up to the felt line an improvement? (I don't have the XL yet, I'll get it when I get back after the holiday).

I basically will want to be able to do two modes--high heat for searing and paella and low/slow for BBQ. I don't think I'll be cooking pizza any time soon since I have an oven steel.

The plate setter works well, but I never opted for any of those multi tier setups. They look neat but I couldn't justify the extra money for one

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What're my best options for an entry level smoker, with a budget around $300?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

always be closing posted:

What're my best options for an entry level smoker, with a budget around $300?

Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5". 300$ and an almost universally enjoyed piece of hardware. I love mine as do many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As an alternative, the Chargriller Akorn that I've been super happy with is in the $300 range as well. But if you get it I'd definitely spring for $50 Smoking Stone as well.