Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Furgers: would or would not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

(As)Purgers?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Philip Rivers posted:

Furgers: would or would not?
Salmon burgers are really good, eat 'em all the time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

:gonk:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am honestly curious why this is so upsetting to you. Not every burg needs to make you feel like you just added ten pounds to your colon and now you gotta sleep it off for 12 hours. If there's not grease running down to your elbows, you're not necessarily missing anything vital.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

coyo7e posted:

I am honestly curious why this is so upsetting to you. Not every burg needs to make you feel like you just added ten pounds to your colon and now you gotta sleep it off for 12 hours. If there's not grease running down to your elbows, you're not necessarily missing anything vital.

Get out.

Also good looking burgs there. I'm not an avacado fan, but showed it to the wife and she was impressed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Moey posted:

Get out.

Also good looking burgs there. I'm not an avacado fan, but showed it to the wife and she was impressed.
The best part about po' folk (FDPIR) canned salmon burgs is that the vertebrae have this great crunchy texture. Just add some egg and green onion and crumbs and you've got the nicest patty with the best char on the outside, and these little bone popcorns of amazing flavor and texture in the center.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I think people are freaking out thinking it's a furger (fish + beef) when it looks like a salmon patty, which are really good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For some reason I thought you meant actual salmon. I was horrified at the thought of using actual salmon to make a burger.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jehde posted:

For some reason I thought you meant actual salmon. I was horrified at the thought of using actual salmon to make a burger.

...what do you think the patties are made of?

salmons good, nice strong flavor and fatty enough to be nice and moist unless you overcook it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The nice strong flavour is why it's dumb to put fresh salmon in a burger.

If it's canned then who cares, make your furgers or whatever with it.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I thought furger was referring to, like, a furry burger. Like the peach buns on the last page.

I really need to buy a new copy of the Burgtionary.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought it was a sex joke. Still do.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

coyo7e posted:

I just made some salmon sliders on Wednesday. They were delicious, but I don't think they qualify necessarily as "burgers"
That goes double for tofu. If you're vegetarian then eat a goddamn shitake or portobello.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I can't see how tofu could qualify as a burger, not enough texture. I've had an okay veggie burger patty here and there when I was in the mood but I'm not a big fan of tempeh, and while I wouldn't mind making some crispy tofu to on the side along with a burger, I can't think of many ways I would want to use it on or as the burger.

I do like a ground turkey burger now and then at home, but they tend to be far too dry and bland when I get them at Carl's Jr etc.

Jehde posted:

The nice strong flavour is why it's dumb to put fresh salmon in a burger.
Choose mostly the thick fatty sections from above the lat line and away from the leaner tail, grind a quarter of that meat of it into paste and the rest more roughly, then mix with breadcrumbs, egg, and shallots or green onion, etc. You miss out on the bone popcorn and the salty canned flavor, but make up for it being as juicy as a beef burger.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like beef

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I thought it was a sex joke. Still do.

Me too! I mean, FUR BURGER. Come on.

Does somebody out there innocently make their famous Gorilla Salad for their church potluck?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they probate you for a week, then you win" --nooner ~man~genius~dreamer~furger chef~

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am definitely on team Salmon Burger. Appreciate all burgers.

I had a taylor ham and fried egg burger the other day, it was pretty great.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
The only bad burger is the burger you don't eat.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just made some salmon sliders on Wednesday. They were delicious, but I don't think they qualify necessarily as "burgers"
That goes double for tofu. If you're vegetarian then eat a goddamn shitake or portobello.

Tofu is underrated.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doh004 posted:

The only bad burger is the burger you don't eat.

qft

i bet you guys whinging about "wasting" salmon on a burger also only ever eat steak with salt/pepper and asparagus. No mushroom/wine/cream sauce, no steak pasta dishes, no steak salads, god forbid a steak burrito with... *shudders*... sour cream and cheese.

quit being fuckin' elitists about food, if it's tasty it is a good food.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think a lot of it is seppos losing their poo poo because in commonwealth nations (except Canada I suppose) basically anything on a round bun is called a burger

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Big Willy Style posted:

I think a lot of it is seppos losing their poo poo because in commonwealth nations (except Canada I suppose) basically anything on a round bun is called a burger

i had to look this term up

and tbh it is p funny to see americans (i mean i am one but i digress) getting up in arms about adhering to the "traditional" preparations of the hamburg style steak patty

E: VVV that but unironically VVV

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 12, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Not going to lie, but as much as I like a good beef burger, I loving love a good chicken schnitzel burger probably more. Panko-crumbed schnitty, smoked cheddar, some mutz, red onion, lettuce, fresh mayo with just a hit of chilli. Slide that across the table with a side of beer battered chips and onion rings and I'll be a happy loving dude.

Never really seen a pork burg in the wild though. Not like a pulled pork burg, but like a solid slab of oink on some buns burg.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Aaronicon posted:

Not going to lie, but as much as I like a good beef burger, I loving love a good chicken schnitzel burger probably more. Panko-crumbed schnitty, smoked cheddar, some mutz, red onion, lettuce, fresh mayo with just a hit of chilli. Slide that across the table with a side of beer battered chips and onion rings and I'll be a happy loving dude.

Never really seen a pork burg in the wild though. Not like a pulled pork burg, but like a solid slab of oink on some buns burg.

we can be friends if you want

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Aaronicon posted:

go to Iowa, they're all over the place

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Philip Rivers posted:

Tofu is underrated.
I've converted quite a few people to looking at tofu as a viable and tasty foodstuff by learning to make crispy tofu.

Get the firmest tofu you can find, put it in a colander and stack something reasonably heavy on top (some plates, pot of water, etc - if it's too heavy or the tofu's too soft, it'll just mush out through the holes) and let it sit there and squeeze out most of the water for a while. Then cut it into the shapes you want and roll it in cornstarch and some basic spices (optional, the cornstarch gives them a nicer skin imho) before frying them up like home fries. Once you remove them from heat, you can toss them in any sauce you like (bbq sauce goes well for people who think hot dogs and ketchup is good eating and who also think tofu is poo poo) or dust them with spices and toss them around a bit.

They aren't french fries but they're a damned tasty side that works with any kind of seasoning or sauce you can think up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

coyo7e posted:

I've converted quite a few people to looking at tofu as a viable and tasty foodstuff by learning to make crispy tofu.

Get the firmest tofu you can find, put it in a colander and stack something reasonably heavy on top (some plates, pot of water, etc - if it's too heavy or the tofu's too soft, it'll just mush out through the holes) and let it sit there and squeeze out most of the water for a while. Then cut it into the shapes you want and roll it in cornstarch and some basic spices (optional, the cornstarch gives them a nicer skin imho) before frying them up like home fries. Once you remove them from heat, you can toss them in any sauce you like (bbq sauce goes well for people who think hot dogs and ketchup is good eating and who also think tofu is poo poo) or dust them with spices and toss them around a bit.

They aren't french fries but they're a damned tasty side that works with any kind of seasoning or sauce you can think up.

The age tofu at the Japanese place I go to has the most delicious gingery soy scallion dipping sauce, it's good enough to drink

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Hate to break up this decidedly unburg chat but went to Ted's Montana grill tonight and had a delicious bison burger. Canyon Creek I think it was called. Had a fried egg, bacon, cheddar, fresh Jalapeños, and some blackberry jam. I was a little apprehensive about the jam at first but it wasn't too sweet and played really nicely with the Jalapeños. Definitely would again.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Fried tofu is a gateway tofu. I do cornstarch plus a little AP flour because I like the slightly thicker/breadier crust (while still being crispy when you bite into it) but even just cornstarch is something I'd highly recommend if you wanna get a good crust.

halenaw
Jul 10, 2014
I ate this burger today. Best bun I've had so far.

Brie cheese, back bacon, caramelized onions, grainy dijion mustard, beef patty on a brioche bun.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

halenaw posted:

Brie cheese, back bacon, caramelized onions, grainy dijion mustard, beef patty on a brioche bun.

That burger looks great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

halenaw posted:

gently caress yeah.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Why is it wearing that pickle slice like a hat

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

halenaw posted:

I'd gently caress it up and ask for more

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
If we're not going to execute the fish burger squad and the peach bun sisters, we can at least talk about fish patties that aren't for sissies:

The goddamn mackarel patty. These oily bastards make a patty with a strong flavor that will knock the purse right out of the hands of a salmon burger eater. My parents used to randomly make these a couple times a year and to this day they're still a treat for me.

Jetfire posted:

Why is it wearing that pickle slice like a hat

Good catch. Personal foul, roughing the pickle, server will return with a proper dill spear, first down.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I had a burg from Morton's Steakhouse during their happy hour today. I also got a Manhattan and an order of spinach artichoke crab dip and some crab cake BLT sliders with the bros. Good meal.

My friend just wrote a piece on In n Out burgs: https://medium.com/@pattheflip/what-i-talk-about-when-i-talk-about-burgers-5d581c8ed41#.61h12a8ub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

While I agree with Kaz's sentiment, this thing actually looks loving disgusting.

• Locked thread