Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

What's a good helmet mod? I heard some of them are bugged and make enemies hostile

None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

The one that lets you mark enemies with any kind of gun is great and not bugged.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Backhand posted:

If there's one thing to take away from all of this, it's that while settlements can be fun to play around with, actual settlers are totally useless except for the odd vegetable-starch-derived adhesive. Create thriving ghost towns with no recruitment beacons!

Yeah, either way, I decided to move all my poo poo to Red Rocket for the time being and set up some turrets for defense so I don't get attacked since my water and food are at 0 there. This way I can let Sanctuary do their poo poo because I can't stand any of them, except Sturges. Sturges should have been a companion, not Preston.

EDIT: At this point I kind of need to decide if I want to use the Deliverer or Overseer's Guardian on my stealth dude because so I can finally start dumping perk points into Rifleman or Gunslinger, I can't have both (right now anyway) becuase I have to spend those points elsewhere.'

coyo7e posted:

You really need to keep putting points into scrounger as you reach a high enough level to take it, or you will not be seeing enough ammo that's appropriate for your level range as you get higher and higher.

And you only get the ammo from a weapon if you pick it up off of the ground not out of the body.

That's good to know. I thought I was doing fine with the first level of scrounger becuase I would just sell off the other ammo I wasn't using and buy 45 and 10mm when I got low.

Are there any quality of life mods that most people agree are helpful yet? I have one that shows weight to caps ratio but it's kind of not useful since it .1 weight and 5 caps makes it say 50 which is clearly no where near what I will get.

Also, holy poo poo grape mentats are OP.

One last thing, fast traveling is my go to now instead of walking back to places I have already been simply so I don't trigger stupid random events that then might exhaust that cells number of random events. If I ever want to find Doc Anderson again I better leave a cell alone so I can farm it for her to appear again. That, and so I don't see cricket get killed by gunners or raiders off in the distance while before I can get spray and pray off her.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 12, 2015

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Yeah, either way, I decided to move all my poo poo to Red Rocket for the time being and set up some turrets for defense so I don't get attacked since my water and food are at 0 there. This way I can let Sanctuary do their poo poo because I can't stand any of them, except Sturges. Sturges should have been a companion, not Preston.

As my first order of business as general, Preston, I'm dismissing you from the Minutemen. You'll get your pancakes in the mail.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

You can actually move Sturges to other settlements.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I never saw the prompt on him or any of the default settlers that came from that mission in Concord. I'll check again.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I messed around with this for a few minutes. There seems to be no way to bring Kellogg's gun into the world. I thought maybe it was because it was a legendary but no, I could add the deliverer to myself just fine. I even tried resurrecting Kellogg to see if his gun would be on his person but you can't even do that. While many NPCs have [EP] after their name, Kellogg has [PP] after his name. I don't know what these mean but for some reason Kellogg can't be selected. I don't know why there are several different IDs for everything but only one works but I can't find the ID for Kellogg or his Pistol that allows me to do anything with the console. I even went back to the save I had where I fought Kellogg. I selected him in the console and was able to kill him and resurrect him. But when I went back to my current save (with him still selected) nothing would happen when I moved him to me.

Some items, like the psitol, the special named armor pieces and weapons from vendors, just seem to be the regular weapons with pre-selected mods, a legendary effect and a name.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to try a character who uses only a knife, a pistol, a sniper rifle, and grenades (kind of like the "Cowboy" perk from New Vegas). Is it too generalist, will my perks be spread too thin?

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

coyo7e posted:

And you only get the ammo from a weapon if you pick it up off of the ground not out of the body.

Not true, actually. I only get ammo from enemies who I've seen die (i.e., not from bodies of enemies who were killed before I entered the area, like when you find a building full of dead gunners), but I always pick up guns from corpses and then transfer the (now empty) gun back. The gun shows the ammo count as you pick it up and put it down; you'll notice a change. Maybe using the transfer function rather than just pressing the loot button gives the ammo as well then? I can't remember the last time I had fewer than 3000 .45 rounds despite using that combat rifle from Vault 81 forever, but it was at least before I murdered a bunch of triggermen and emptied their SMGs.

allsizesfitone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 12, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

TG-Chrono posted:

You must be new here. This game is equal parts fun and absolute poo poo.

e: not to mention talking to the quest giver in the next part locks you out of the railroad with the lovely arse dialogue system.

Err, isn't it intended that doing certain quests for factions locks you out of others?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I want to try a character who uses only a knife, a pistol, a sniper rifle, and grenades (kind of like the "Cowboy" perk from New Vegas). Is it too generalist, will my perks be spread too thin?

Non-automatic rifles/shotguns, pistols, melee weapons and explosives all require separate perks in this system, sadly. Though there is "Bloody Mess" to act as a general "works for everything" damage boost it's much smaller overall than what you'd get for specializing. That said, you can specialize in more than one weapon type to be sure. They even have different side benefits: Rifleman Perk ignores enemy armor partially and gets good at crippling enemy limbs, Pistols get longer-range and have a high chance of disarming a foe, the explosives-boosting perk also lets you craft more explosives of your own.

I'd say go Perception since it covers rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles (there's a separate perk for scoped weapons) and explosives with a side-order of Agility and Luck so you get some good VATS perks in.

Also: There is no separate "energy weapons" skill in this game anymore, they fall under what type of pistol/rifle they are. The Laser Musket is non-automatic so it's a Rifle. I find it makes a pretty good single-shot sniper rifle if you overcharge it and line up a good shot.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 12, 2015

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I may have gone a little overboard with my water farming...

That's Sanctuary Hills, but I've got similar setups in every settlement with access to water.

I never, ever have to worry about caps anymore. Just load up on all the water I can carry by making a trip through my settlements and cleaning out the workbenches, heading to every vendor I know, and trading water for all of their caps plus anything in their stock that I want. (Priority: buy any junk that give you parts to build yet more generators/water filters) After the perk that lets me invest 500 caps in a vendor to increase carrying capacity, even better. If you have the perk that lets you fast-travel when overloaded (or just tweak your carry capacity via the console on PC) then it's even easier still.

As for ammo, I usually just buy ALL of the ammo in the inventories of the weapons and junk vendors in Diamond City every time I show up. And I'm paying in water, so I still walk away with more caps than I started with. Plus I think I've got more than 200 full Fusion Cores in my pocket right now.

Azhais posted:

Jet Set Radio mod
Let Mom Sleep! (for a couple centuries)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

I messed around with this for a few minutes. There seems to be no way to bring Kellogg's gun into the world. I thought maybe it was because it was a legendary but no, I could add the deliverer to myself just fine. I even tried resurrecting Kellogg to see if his gun would be on his person but you can't even do that. While many NPCs have [EP] after their name, Kellogg has [PP] after his name. I don't know what these mean but for some reason Kellogg can't be selected. I don't know why there are several different IDs for everything but only one works but I can't find the ID for Kellogg or his Pistol that allows me to do anything with the console. I even went back to the save I had where I fought Kellogg. I selected him in the console and was able to kill him and resurrect him. But when I went back to my current save (with him still selected) nothing would happen when I moved him to me.

Ah well. Thanks for looking!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Vault 81 really is such an easy way to get caps, you have the guy who buys jet at 75 caps and the guy who buys simple tools at 15 caps. No reason you shouldn't be able to afford the combat rifle there even without hording, just buy all the fertilizer you find since you will still make a profit if you turn it into jet. Is there anything in the game that leads you to vault 81 or are you supposed to just stumble onto it?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Has this been posted yet?

http://imgur.com/gallery/fka7v

A list of some of the more prominent voice actors in the game and what else they've done :v:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Verranicus posted:

Err, isn't it intended that doing certain quests for factions locks you out of others?

Yeah, the thing is though that if you're siding with the institute or the railroad (since to side with the railroad you need to work undercover with the institute), when the time comes to cross the Brotherhood you get a big warning message on the screen that says "Using the relay will make you a permanent enemy of the Brotherhood. Are you sure?"

When the time comes to cross the railroad as the Brotherhood (and this is from memory so it might not be 100%), you get sent for a briefing with a guy, who then asks you if you're ready to be briefed on the mission to attack the Railroad. If you say you're ready, you get the mission and are instantly set as hostile to the railroad. If you say you're not ready (because you don't want to cross the railroad), he says "well, you'll have plenty of time after you get this briefing", you get the mission and are instantly set as hostile to the railroad. By the time you realise you're crossing a point of no return, you cannot back out (though you can load an earlier save).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Vault 81 really is such an easy way to get caps, you have the guy who buys jet at 75 caps and the guy who buys simple tools at 15 caps. No reason you shouldn't be able to afford the combat rifle there even without hording, just buy all the fertilizer you find since you will still make a profit if you turn it into jet. Is there anything in the game that leads you to vault 81 or are you supposed to just stumble onto it?

I think someone might mention it. Because It popped up first as an undiscovered map icon and I headed over to it.

khy posted:

Has this been posted yet?

http://imgur.com/gallery/fka7v

A list of some of the more prominent voice actors in the game and what else they've done :v:

I knew Kells was Tim Russ but when I checked, IMDB said someone else did the voice. I feel vindicated now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I found a random encounter where a guy from Vault 81 was captured by raiders. I murdered them and freed him and got the location on my map for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Is it possible to just enclose Mama Murphy and whiny couple in a box they can't get out of, or can settlers teleport when they get stuck somewhere?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cojawfee posted:

I knew Kells was Tim Russ but when I checked, IMDB said someone else did the voice. I feel vindicated now.

I like how the voice actor for man in this game who sees all his children as puppets also plays a man who sees his wooden puppet as his child. I wonder if they did that on purpose.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Holy poo poo, Brandis is Skeletor!?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now I want to experiment with walling settlers into rooms with a bed and salvage station and no exit.

Give them each a cat picture, just endless pods of settlers toiling away in the their little cubes, generating junk for me, like The Matrix.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jay Rust posted:

This could be tough, especially on Survival difficulty you'll have trouble doing enough damage. You'll need to do more drugs than Scarface to up your damage, but it can work:

*go for high intelligence to get the Chemist perk, you need your drugs to last longer
*combine psycho with other drugs, this makes them last longer, psychobuff and psychotats both last 8 minutes and stack, psycho itself lasts only 2 minutes but stacks as well if you really need it, with 2 levels of Chemist psychotats and psychobuff will last 16 minutes each, so pop one of each and get poo poo done
*hotkey jet, with enough jet anything can be accomplished
*write down or memorize the formulae for crafting drugs at the chem workbench, jet in particular is easy - plastic and fertilizer- you will need to make lots of drugs to keep up with your habit
*do not put points into the perk that eliminates addiction, addiction is really easy to remove in this game and you'll be high all the time anyway
*there's a hidden chem workbench in Sanctuary, it's behind one of the houses near the bridge out of town, you can pick it up and move it to a more convenient place in construction mode

You'll still be spread pretty thin, don't put points into all the weapon groups - in particular don't bother with melee, the knife won't do much good. Hope you have fun roleplaying a cocaine cowboy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Filthy Hans posted:

This could be tough, especially on Survival difficulty you'll have trouble doing enough damage. You'll need to do more drugs than Scarface to up your damage, but it can work:

*go for high intelligence to get the Chemist perk, you need your drugs to last longer
*combine psycho with other drugs, this makes them last longer, psychobuff and psychotats both last 8 minutes and stack, psycho itself lasts only 2 minutes but stacks as well if you really need it, with 2 levels of Chemist psychotats and psychobuff will last 16 minutes each, so pop one of each and get poo poo done
*hotkey jet, with enough jet anything can be accomplished
*write down or memorize the formulae for crafting drugs at the chem workbench, jet in particular is easy - plastic and fertilizer- you will need to make lots of drugs to keep up with your habit
*do not put points into the perk that eliminates addiction, addiction is really easy to remove in this game and you'll be high all the time anyway
*there's a hidden chem workbench in Sanctuary, it's behind one of the houses near the bridge out of town, you can pick it up and move it to a more convenient place in construction mode

You'll still be spread pretty thin, don't put points into all the weapon groups - in particular don't bother with melee, the knife won't do much good. Hope you have fun roleplaying a cocaine cowboy.

getting lots of drugs to start: do the drug deal quest that starts in Diamond City and keep them all for yourself :getin:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whoah, Desdemona is Claudia Christen? I thought I recognized that voice.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

coyo7e posted:

You really need to keep putting points into scrounger as you reach a high enough level to take it, or you will not be seeing enough ammo that's appropriate for your level range as you get higher and higher.

allsizesfitone posted:

Not true, actually. I only get ammo from enemies who I've seen die (i.e., not from bodies of enemies who were killed before I entered the area, like when you find a building full of dead gunners), but I always pick up guns from corpses and then transfer the (now empty) gun back. The gun shows the ammo count as you pick it up and put it down; you'll notice a change. Maybe using the transfer function rather than just pressing the loot button gives the ammo as well then? I can't remember the last time I had fewer than 3000 .45 rounds despite using that combat rifle from Vault 81 forever, but it was at least before I murdered a bunch of triggermen and emptied their SMGs.

I can recall hearing lots of contradictory things on this, so I went ahead and tested it myself. Did a quicksave before looting an enemy to test, and reloaded after looting to test each method. I did two tests of all three ways of looting (pick up gun from ground, looting from mouseover, and opening up the full loot transfer menu). In all six attempts, I gained ammo by looting the gun, and ended up with the exact same amount of ammo. As best as I can tell, you get extra ammo by looting guns, but the method of looting doesn't matter.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Entropic posted:

Is it possible to just enclose Mama Murphy and whiny couple in a box they can't get out of, or can settlers teleport when they get stuck somewhere?

I just abandoned Sanctuary completely after scrapping everything there and sending Sturges to the drive in but I imagine they would escape confinement once you moved far enough away to de-spawn them. People have posted Mama Murphy trapped on a floating platform though, build her chair in the sky and then remove the stairs so she can't leave.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it possible to convert a .38 pipe pistol into a .308 bolt-action one? I've got a great legendary pipe pistol for a sniper rifle.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Speedball posted:

I couldn't not side with the Railroad after I realized Desdemona was Ivanova from Babylon 5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

double nine posted:

Is it possible to convert a .38 pipe pistol into a .308 bolt-action one? I've got a great legendary pipe pistol for a sniper rifle.

I think regular pipe, bolt action and revolver are all separate things.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Speedball posted:

Same. Her and Tim Russ were the two that really stood out to me. I didn't realize Master Bra'tac was Father.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Same. Her and Tim Russ were the two that really stood out to me. I didn't realize Master Bra'tac was Father.

Yeah, Tim Russ I recognized almost immediately, he's definitely using his Tuvok voice.

Elder Maxton: I told you to comb the wasteland! Have you found anything yet?
Tim Russ: We ain't found poo poo!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have misplaced my Spray n Pray since yesterday, no idea where I have left it. Checked the companions I've had with me, checked all my settlements I've been to (a couple weren't supply-lined) and the other couple of places I may have left it but nada. Is there anything I can type into the console to show me where it is?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

No. Cheat yourself a new one.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Reveilled posted:

When the time comes to cross the railroad as the Brotherhood (and this is from memory so it might not be 100%), you get sent for a briefing with a guy, who then asks you if you're ready to be briefed on the mission to attack the Railroad. If you say you're ready, you get the mission and are instantly set as hostile to the railroad. If you say you're not ready (because you don't want to cross the railroad), he says "well, you'll have plenty of time after you get this briefing", you get the mission and are instantly set as hostile to the railroad. By the time you realise you're crossing a point of no return, you cannot back out (though you can load an earlier save).

Yeah pretty much, constantly disappointed with how shoddy and sloppy this game is. Big wet turd with a vein of gold running through it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Spray N' Pray is the glorious exception. There is not a single enemy in the game I've found that can't be sawn apart in seconds with that gun.
dude you sound really low level still, because that thing couldn't even keep up with killing ghouls by level 50, and any weapon that burns 120 rounds to kill a handful of enemies is a pretty bad deal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

coyo7e posted:

dude you sound really low level still, because that thing couldn't even keep up with killing ghouls by level 50, and any weapon that burns 120 rounds to kill a handful of enemies is a pretty bad deal

Did you put points into the automatics perk?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ Nope! I'm sure it's fine if you do that, but you're the first person to mention that it needs any kind of handicap to make it useful.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Yeah I've run into an ex-vault dweller trader from that vault, people will randomly talk about a pristine vault in passing conversations between npcs, etc. It's also pretty easy to find since it sticks out like a sore thumb south of the mayoral shelter - it's pretty empty otherwise down there.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The current patch made explosive damage more consistent with armor calculations (I'm not even sure how that bug happened in the first place), so whatever power it had before this patch is pretty much diminished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
How many different people are there that you can just turn poo poo into them for caps?

There's The girl at Abernathy that takes melons.
The Mr. Handy at GreyGardens that takes something, I think it's mutfruit
The kid in Vault 81 that wants jet
The Repairman in Vault 81 that takes certain tools.

Those are all the ones I can think of. Anyone know of more?

• Locked thread