Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Dio giveth the waldo, and Dio taketh away

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rest in piece, perspective.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Serperoth posted:

I did some looking into that a while ago and I think that it's "TOKI YO! TOMARE!", as in "Time! Stop!", commanding time to stop, rather than "time" (literally "clock") being the object (as would be denoted by the "wo").

And yeah R/L is weird in Japanese, since they don't have a 'dedicated' L sound, they just use the R phonemes. From context we can be sure it's "THE WORLD" rather than "THE WALDO". Not that it's a reference which would surprise me, considering it's JoJo.

Tomaru (imperative with the -e ending) is intransitive. It's not like English where "stop" pulls double duty with "The car stopped" and "I stopped the car". TomEru, with an e, is the transitive version.

So tomaru/tomare can't take objects at all.

Yo is a vocative marker, so sort of marks that he's specifically addressing the element preceding it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I know about the L/R thing in Japanese, I just wondered by the fan meme spelt it that way but I can kinda see why now so I retract the question

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
While za warudo might be a meme, it is definitely possible to be aware of it meme without necessarily knowing that it's from Jojo. I'd seen it in the form of this:

And then years later I learned about Jojo through the anime and watched some videos of the old fighting game, and had a little oh that's where that's from moment when I saw Dio using the knives.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the original vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbArvIqZzkI

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh man I can't wait to see how Alch reacts as half the cast dies across the next few episodes :getin:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Archenteron posted:

Oh man I can't wait to see how Alch reacts as half the cast dies across the next few episodes :getin:

I had to stop myself from finishing my thought re: kakyoin losing to d'arby because it's really "wow you brought him back after a traumatic injury just to have him lose something that's totally up his alley and then get loving punched through by DIO"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I want him to finish asap, I can't loving wait to watch him lose his mind about the party wiping

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

"I can't believe Joseph Joestar is loving dead"

"I can't believe Joseph Joestar isn't loving dead... again"

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I want him to finish asap, I can't loving wait to watch him lose his mind about the party wiping

I'm actually forcing myself to refrain from saying "stop watching now and pick up again a little later, you'll be glad you did" because I think just saying that ends up being spoilery somehow

I don't think I'd want to try watching all of that in one sitting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vanilla Ice's death is just so satisfying.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

It's probably my favorite fight in Part 3, but man is it loving hard to watch.

Also I listened to Kakyoin's character song again and made myself really sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S49AGe3lkoY

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm not even going to click on that, I don't allow myself to click on that song anymore.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, all 3 of them

it's weird he didn't become a zombie until the 2nd tho

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He became a zombie earlier, Polnareff just said what he did cause he didn't know Vanilla already killed himself once today.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

He became a zombie earlier, Polnareff just said what he did cause he didn't know Vanilla already killed himself once today.

He couldn't have, because he was in direct sunlight after the first death

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I know what you're talking about but he wasn't. In the manga it's just Cream and in the anime where he pops out he's still inside in the shade.

Vampires in Jojo don't just spontaneously explode in close proximity to sunlight, they have to be hit by it directly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I know what you're talking about but he wasn't. In the manga it's just Cream and in the anime where he pops out he's still inside in the shade.

Vampires in Jojo don't just spontaneously explode in close proximity to sunlight, they have to be hit by it directly.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Polnareff mentions something about him turning around the time he stabbed him in the throat

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hmm, that's an anime error then.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It works when it was appropriate because Araki is a good DM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Polnareff mentions something about him turning around the time he stabbed him in the throat

4 deaths then

Bad Seafood posted:

Hmm, that's an anime error then.

yeah, it was really weird

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's when Polnareff thinks he turned but we the audience know better.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I really love how Polnareff's win all came down to him winning mind games with Vanilla Ice

All he went through, and he still has the will while his opponent is loving losing it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

#outofcontextjojo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ice doesn't really transform into a vampire until Polnareff stabs him in the mouth...

Even though he cut his own head off.

If any of you are feeling bad, angry or upset, try not to think about the fact that Crazy Diamond will never hold you tight and listen to you to make you feel better.

:smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vampire medicine is no slouch, despite being often outshone by its competition.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

What did DIO focus on in med school?

Rheudamudamudatology

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, Polnareff only hindered Jotaro against Dio. And I dunno, I kinda got the impression that it was experiencing stopped time that made Star Platinum realise its own power? So Jotaro would probably be able to fight Dio regardless.

It was almost definitely Joseph telling Jotaro in the first place that made it click

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was almost definitely Joseph telling Jotaro in the first place that made it click
What I really like is that once Joseph tells Jotaro about the time stop, it's Jotaro who notices that Star Platinum and The World are similar types of Stands. You can practically see the gears turning in Jotaro's head as he considers if he can stop time too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I assume you're referring to German medicine.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I like how it's unbelievable that Joseph died, so to drive home the point his ghost is shown, and then he still comes back to life

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i'm so god drat happy he somehow was not spoiled for ANY OF THIS.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He knows about the Road Roller.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

chaos rhames posted:

He knows about the Road Roller.

Which sorta sucks because that would have been wonderful to watch but there are plenty of other spots that he's going to flip out over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Straight up not knowing what The World does must make for a pretty great viewing, I got spoiled of that years ago by cultural osmosis.

Reading his comments also made me realize that I love DiU a lot because any other part would've loving killed Okuyasu, but nah, DiU goes through with some guy we barely knew, a fairly likable girl we also fairly knew and the villain.

Also makes me realize taht I should probably stop liking Yasuho so much to save myself the pain. :smith: